UIWSO Interview Feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zyg0te

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preface: This is not a thread to debate the "3 new schools" or their place/impact on our field.

This is just simply some question for those who interviewed there, either this year or last. What did you think? What questions were you asked? Any surprises? What was the schedule of the interview day? Was the interview 1 on 1, 2 on 1? Who interviewed you (student, professor, etc)? Any advice to those interviewing there?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, was it closed file or open file interviews?

Also, was it closed file or open file interviews?

I interviewed at UIWSO last year, so I am not entirely sure how helpful this will be. The interview day starts off with a small introduction with Mr. Cantu. The interview is then conducted one on one (usually with an instructor). The interview is very straightforward and is closed file. They asked why Optometry, and why UIWSO etc... I was caught off guard with "What five words best describe you?" so be ready for that. Best of luck to you!

-Doc25398

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at AZCOPT, and man.. I was taken away by the equipment that have accessible to their students, and also by their vision...

2 on 1 interview.
Very laid back.
They ask your standard questions, why Arizona? how can you handle the workload? etc, etc....

One of the students comes out first, and then you can ask him/her questions.
The Dean, Dr. Santiago, then introduces himself, and goes through a powerpoint about the school.
Next comes financial aid.
Then come the interview.
Then tour of the school.
Last is lunch.

I just interviewed at UIWSO friday, and I really loved San Antonio.

The question was laid back with one of the faculty members. Most of them were basic questions, like why UIWSO and why optometry? But the one question that I was asked that got me was, how many races are there? I really don't know what kind of answer he was looking for.
He also asked me to define professionalism.

This is kind of old, but SDN doesn't have UIWSO on the Interview Feedback section yet. I'm throwing it in just in case anyone else wants to know. :) Hope it helps!

Overview
My interview session had 6 students. A few parents came, but they sort of dropped them off at the meeting room and disappeared. We all sat, munched on cookies and donuts, and chatted with Jill Mohr, the FA advisor, until everyone was there.

Mr. Cantu came in for a brief welcome/introduction. We took turns, two at a time, to meet with one of the two faculty interviewers. Those who weren't interviewing stayed in the room with Ms. Mohr and Mr. Cantu to ask questions about the school.

Following the interview is a tour of the main UIW campus. We were done with everything by noon. I got an email with the final decision the next business day, and scholarship awards a few days after. They are very quick!

Interview Questions
The interview is 1 on 1, closed file. All they have is your personal statement. The interview is very friendly and conversational, but I wouldn't say it was casual (Might just be the personality of my interviewer). Questions I remember being asked were (paraphrased):

-What's your story?
-Define professionalism.
-Tell me about an accomplishment you are particularly proud of.
-If you friends were to describe you, what would they say?
-How will these traits help you succeed in optometry school?
-How do you study?
-How will you handle the course load here?
-Did you feel your high school prepared you well for college? (random!)
-Why UIW?
-Did you apply to Houston? (I'm from Texas?)
-What is the difference between pharmacy and optometry? (I think he only asked me this because we were discussing commercial optometry... not a regular question, I hope.)
-Is there anything else that you would like to say, that was not on your application, that you think would help the admissions committee in making a final decision?

just email sdn, tell them to add uiwso to the interview feedback. i got them to add azcopt.