Scrambling in Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycolysis6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any hope for scrambling into a rad onc position (let's say if you didn't match in another field you applied for)? Did not discover field till late, however had long-time interest and research experience in oncology (with translational /basic science research pub).

Members don't see this ad.

It's virtually impossible to scramble into rad onc after not matching in another field (although maybe someone somewhere knows an exception that happened one time). There were an unusually large number of open, unfilled rad onc spots after last year's match, including a few fairly strong programs. These programs were flooded with applications in the scramble, especially from people that applied to derm (since I think there were only 1 or 2 derm spots that didn't fill last year, but many strong applicants who didn't match). I don't know how every program handled this, but one program that I have direct knowledge of basically threw out applications from people who originally applied in other fields. No matter how strong of an applicant you are, radiation oncology departments want people who are passionate about the field, not people who are choosing it as a back-up after failing to match in something else. I believe everyone who successfully scrambled last year was originally a rad onc applicant for the match, but I would be happy to be corrected if someone has better information than me. In fact, a few programs decided to not take anyone in the scramble rather than settle for someone that wasn't a good fit with the program.

Scrambing into a spot is generally pretty tough as there are really only a couple spots open most years after the match.

That being said, a lot of spots (more than you or most people probably realize) tend to come up during the year. If you go ahead and do your internship, you will be eligible to take any position that starts in July, when your internship is over (MS IV's can't take those spots as they need a year to complete their internships).

In that kind of situation, programs are as interested in finding a candidate as much as the candidates are in finding positions. This has gotten a lot of people a spot through the years (out of the match), particularly at places that open up in mid-year (in recent memory, Moffitt, Mayo Jacksonville, UT-Southwestern, and City of Hope in CA have all done this out of the match when their programs were initially accredited) as well as places that end up adding spots to their existing program (IIRC, Utah is a program that comes to mind).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious, what programs did not fill last year in the Match? Which scrambled versus leaving spots open (unfulfilled)??

From an NRMP list - unfilled spots (Rad Onc 2009)

USC
Mayo
Mt Sinai
NY Methodist
URochester
UNC
UPMC
Vanderbilt
U Texas

Scrambing into a spot is generally pretty tough as there are really only a couple spots open most years after the match.

That being said, a lot of spots (more than you or most people probably realize) tend to come up during the year. If you go ahead and do your internship, you will be eligible to take any position that starts in July, when your internship is over (MS IV's can't take those spots as they need a year to complete their internships).

In that kind of situation, programs are as interested in finding a candidate as much as the candidates are in finding positions. This has gotten a lot of people a spot through the years (out of the match), particularly at places that open up in mid-year (in recent memory, Moffitt, Mayo Jacksonville, UT-Southwestern, and City of Hope in CA have all done this out of the match when their programs were initially accredited) as well as places that end up adding spots to their existing program (IIRC, Utah is a program that comes to mind).

If you were to take this route, what documents would you need?
- a LOR from a Rad Oncologist who you volunteered/did clerkship with
- What if you don't have research specific to Rad Onc?

Also, would you suggest contacting programs once you are in PGY-1 to let them know you're looking.

And for PGY-1, is scrambling into any Prelim Med fine?

Thanks.

If you were to take this route, what documents would you need?
- a LOR from a Rad Oncologist who you volunteered/did clerkship with
- What if you don't have research specific to Rad Onc?

You will likely be competing against a smaller pool of people. Nonetheless, you should try and seek out a rad onc rotation and/or research during your internship to make yourself a stronger candidate.

The docs required are similar to what would be needed for the regular match (USMLE, transcripts, LORs etc).

Also, would you suggest contacting programs once you are in PGY-1 to let them know you're looking.

Sure. Wouldn't hurt. You can also check:

www.astro.org
http://www.arro.org/residents/programopenings/index.htm

to look for programs that have posted open spots.

And for PGY-1, is scrambling into any Prelim Med fine?

Yes. It would help you, however, to scramble into a place with a decently-known rad onc dept so you can get plugged into doing a rotation and/or research. Doing that during your busy internship will strengthen your application in the eyes of a program. In that regard, avoiding a prelim surgery year is probably a good idea :D

The importance of good LORs and research in this field can't be overstated enough. If it comes down to you or the guy who's at least got a project going with Dr. Big Whig Rad Onc, that guy is going to have the edge. You mentioned having some translation oncology research. While not rad onc specific, that should help you to some degree.

Last edited:
From an NRMP list - unfilled spots (Rad Onc 2009)

USC
Mayo
Mt Sinai
NY Methodist
URochester
UNC
UPMC
Vanderbilt
U Texas

I don't believe all of those were "real" spots. In some cases, programs screw up and put spots into the match that don't really exist (i.e. when they are full for this cycle).

If you don't match into Rad Onc, do you think it is better to spend a year in a more challenging medicine prelim year versus a TY year? Or does this not matter?

Not to be pessimistic- but I wouldn't do a TY, because it limits your options if you don't match into a categorical program that allows a TY.

If you don't match into Rad Onc, do you think it is better to spend a year in a more challenging medicine prelim year versus a TY year? Or does this not matter?