low GPA...need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asing011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys... I am a fourth year undergrad and I have a GPA of about 2.6 and one more quarter to go.. i havent taken MCATs yet... Is there anything I can do to raise my GPA and just increase my chances?? What do I need to score on my MCATs to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys... I am a fourth year undergrad and I have a GPA of about 2.6 and one more quarter to go.. i havent taken MCATs yet... Is there anything I can do to raise my GPA and just increase my chances?? What do I need to score on my MCATs to get in?

A Post-Baccalaureate Program or Masters Degree would be your best bet. You really have to raise that GPA (for both DO and MD applications).

A masters means nothing unless it's an SMP, and even then, it won't fix your gpa. Unfortunately you're gpa is too low to even qualify for an SMP (Georgetown, Cincinatti, Drexel, Tulane, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, etc). Do a search on this, but the simple is to take post-bac courses to get up to a 3.0, then you'll stand a chance of getting into an SMP, provided you have a high enough MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, with a GPA that low after 4 years, I don't think I'd bother with a post-bac in the sense that everyone else is using it. Instead, I'd go back and retake a bunch of classes that you got your worst grades in and prepare to apply to DO schools. AACOMAS will only count the most recent grade for a retaken course, so you can pump your GPA up in a hurry if there are a bunch of D's and F's running around on your transcript. If it's all C's...well, it'll just take a little while longer to fix everything.

There's no reset button if you want MD schools. However, I've heard of 3.0 getting into the Caribbean.

I second the DO option. Faster and more cost effective. Taking classes to raise your GPA to a 3.0 in order to apply to an SMP so that you MIGHT have a chance at an MD school would take way too much time and money.

i think there's an urban legend of a 2.6 gpa then 42 mcat and getting into a top school. So yes,

there is still a chance

It was 2.9, but yes, that happened. I had a 3.1 and got into school, too. For the OP to hit a 3.0, he'd need at least 3 semesters of 4.0. That's not a worthwhile investment. Retake the classes, and go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a real live SDN poster who got into one allopathic med school last year with a 2.92 and an MCAT of 43.

Alternatively, if you take two years of a full-time postbac and get straight As, your GPA will go up to 3.04. With that you'd qualify to get into an SMP, with an MCAT of ~30+.

Or you could retake your classes with the lowest grades and apply to DO schools. This last option is the most workable and cost effective.

Low GPA guy, meet the low GPA thread. It's hundreds (thousands?) of posts by generations of SDNers, like myself, who weaseled their way into medical schools despite having demonsted the approximate academic ability of an inebriated marmoset. Read through all of it and by the last page I promise you'll have a pretty good idea what your options are.

Short summation of your options:

1) Raise your GPA a little, do very well on the MCAT, go to an SMP, do well there, go to an allopathic medical school. Probable timeline: 3 years (1 year GPA repair + 1 year SMP + 1 application year)

2) Raise your GPA a lot (with grade replacement) by retaking the classes you flunked, do moderately well on the MCAT, shadow a DO, go to DO school. Probable timeline: 3 years (2 years GPA repair + 1 application year.)

3) Don't drop out of school, don't poop on your MCAT scantron, go to the Caribbean this coming fall. Only about 20% of the matriculants of the kind of university you get into actually become board certified doctors, though, so you're taking a 4/5 chance of being burrred under crazy medical school debt for the rest of your life with no medical degree to pay it off. Probable timeline: 2 years (until you fail out).

Last edited:
There's no reset button if you want MD schools. However, I've heard of 3.0 getting into the Caribbean.

You can get into an "MD school" with a 3.0. You'll need a great mcat and EC's but it's definitely possible and I'm tired of seeing people say go try Caribbean schools.

You can get into an "MD school" with a 3.0. You'll need a great mcat and EC's but it's definitely possible and I'm tired of seeing people say go try Caribbean schools.

with increasingly competitive applicant pools, im fairly confident its becoming less and less likely to get into an allopathic school with a 3.0. I'm sure its possible, but realistically speaking, its fairly rare. Those who do get in likely have a very good reason for their low GPA combined with a high MCAT.

To me, its not worth the risk of spending that much money on an application with a 3.0. I'd suggest the retaking courses and applying for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP ask yourself. Why do you believe that your right for medical school? Why do you believe that you got such a low gpa?
Identify the problem. Where you drinking and partying too much? Did you not care about school at all during undergrad? Or was there a real problem like you had a family/medical emergency 1 year and ended up taking a whole semester of E's?
I also want you to ask, do you feel like you tried your hardest to do well. If you did your best (study a good 10 hours+) and still ended up doing bad. Then your probably just not good at science and should probably reconsider your path right now.
If your grades are because of your attitude and stupid choices. Then your basically screwed because getting out of habits like that is a difficult road.

Either way good luck OP...
Best choice in my mind is to retake every class you got below a C+ in. Then score a Mcat in the mid 30's. Then you'll be able to get into a decent DO school.

Identify the problem.

This.

Then, retake the classes you did poorly in. Make sure your ECs are in order. Do well on the MCAT. Apply DO.

There's still hope but you have to be prepared to work.

Good luck! :luck:

2.6 is definitely on the extremely low end of the spectrum from MD school applicants and even DO school applicants. I know advisors that would tell you that you aren't fit to become a doctor. That being said, evaluate why you did so poorly (as others have stated) and evaluate if the time it will take to fix your gpa will be worth it. In my opinion the DO route is the best route for you because even if you up your gpa to 3.0 your chances aren't that good for MD schools. For instance, if you have a 3.0 gpa and a 33-35 on the MCAT (assuming you don't obliterate the MCAT due to the fact that most of the material is what you have covered in your undergrad science classes and I'm assuming you didn't do to well based on your gpa; however, you can study for the MCAT and do well if you put your mind to it) you have a 38.4% shot. In fact, with you're 2.6, if you get a 39-45 on the MCAT you will have a 50% shot. http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm Is where you will find the data.

However, with DO schools you will be able to increase your gpa "faster" than if applying to medical schools because they replace grades rather than just averaging them out. You also don't have to meet the high MCAT requirements (although you will still have to make up for a low gpa with a higher than average MCAT for DO schools) that MD schools are looking for.

Special Masters Programs are also definitely an option, but understand that you must be able to perform well in undergraduate to be successful as a masters student. If you cannot handle lower level science you may not be able to be successful in upper level sciences. However, this is your only realistic shot at going to an MD school.

Good luck in any path that you choose.

Reactions: 1 user
Low GPA guy, meet the low GPA thread. It's hundreds (thousands?) of posts by generations of SDNers, like myself, who weaseled their way into medical schools despite having demonsted the approximate academic ability of an inebriated marmoset. Read through all of it and by the last page I promise you'll have a pretty good idea what your options are.

Short summation of your options:

1) Raise your GPA a little, do very well on the MCAT, go to an SMP, do well there, go to an allopathic medical school. Probable timeline: 3 years (1 year GPA repair + 1 year SMP + 1 application year)

2) Raise your GPA a lot (with grade replacement) by retaking the classes you flunked, do moderately well on the MCAT, shadow a DO, go to DO school. Probable timeline: 3 years (2 years GPA repair + 1 application year.)

3) Don't drop out of school, don't poop on your MCAT scantron, go to the Caribbean this coming fall. Only about 20% of the matriculants of the kind of university you get into actually become board certified doctors, though, so you're taking a 4/5 chance of being burrred under crazy medical school debt for the rest of your life with no medical degree to pay it off. Probable timeline: 2 years (until you fail out).

This was pure win.

There's a real live SDN poster who got into one allopathic med school last year with a 2.92 and an MCAT of 43.

Hmmm...I'll see your 2.92 and 43 MCAT and raise (lower?) you 2.87 and a 38
...plus 8 interviews (6 I attended), 5 acceptances, 1 waitlist, and two full-rides. All allopathic - including my dream school Cleveland Clinic - where I will be attending free-of-charge (and getting a free Masters). :whistle:

Moral of the Story: Don't be a statistic. I don't like them. And that's 100% of the time.

OP, it's a human and imperfect process. You can look good in stats and still fail miserably. Or vice-versa.

If you end up doing a post-bacc, at best it will set up back a year or two. I did a DIY post-bacc. So what? If you want this bad enough, and you are tenacious you can make it happen (assuming the standard caveat emptors).

Consider DO and MD.

Oh, and don't believe anything you read here.

It is still a huge uphill battle. But you know that already, don't you? Alrighty then...Good luck.

-vc7777, real & live.

^ Words fail me on how awesome this man is.

Yeah...that's an outlier story to beat them all, but his account is just a tad misleading, to say the least. Note that after being out of school for 12 years, he came back and destroyed a post-bacc program. He's also apparently quite articulate and thoughtful when he wants to be, so that probably translated into great essays and LOR's. It's important to recognize when you're an extreme outlier and not give advice as though you aren't, especially when you totally gloss over what really got you in. I do agree that you shouldn't believe everything you read here, however. You also should avoid taking things at face value. ;)

Hmmm...I'll see your 2.92 and 43 MCAT and raise (lower?) you 2.87 and a 38
...plus 8 interviews (6 I attended), 5 acceptances, 1 waitlist, and two full-rides. All allopathic - including my dream school Cleveland Clinic - where I will be attending free-of-charge (and getting a free Masters). :whistle:

Moral of the Story: Don't be a statistic. I don't like them. And that's 100% of the time.

OP, it's a human and imperfect process. You can look good in stats and still fail miserably. Or vice-versa.

If you end up doing a post-bacc, at best it will set up back a year or two. I did a DIY post-bacc. So what? If you want this bad enough, and you are tenacious you can make it happen (assuming the standard caveat emptors).

Consider DO and MD.

Oh, and don't believe anything you read here.

It is still a huge uphill battle. But you know that already, don't you? Alrighty then...Good luck.

-vc7777, real & live.
Well you do have a strong Post-Bacc so that must have redeemed yourself well to medical schools. You with a High MCAT + good Post-Bacc to med schools shows you can handle the material. If the other one didn't have a post-bacc he wins IMO. :p

Yeah...that's an outlier story to beat them all, but his account is just a tad misleading, to say the least. Note that after being out of school for 12 years, he came back and destroyed a post-bacc program. He's also apparently quite articulate and thoughtful when he wants to be, so that probably translated into great essays and LOR's. It's important to recognize when you're an extreme outlier and not give advice as though you aren't, especially when you totally gloss over what really got you in. I do agree that you shouldn't believe everything you read here, however. You also should avoid taking things at face value. ;)

Why thank you MM Al I'll; take this a back-handed compliments! ;)

I won't say I destroyed my post-bacc, not like a 4.0. I did struggle. But the most extreme part of my application I would say was indeed my intense desire to get in. Seriously.

And yes, I did say standard caveats apply....not trying to blow smoke where the sun don't shine...

I'm am a bit of a 'persiflager', I will admit...some may say "Golden Tongued"...

But remember, what I was responding to was the outlier banter... And yes, I didn't exclude myself from the 'don't believe' comment...

Well you do have a strong Post-Bacc so that must have redeemed yourself well to medical schools. You with a High MCAT + good Post-Bacc to med schools shows you can handle the material. If the other one didn't have a post-bacc he wins IMO. :p

Touche! If it were a win/lose scenario I would have to agree. I am sure there are even more extreme (say 4 sigma) outliers ...lying...out there?