AEGD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shashi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I am Foriegn trained dentist. I want to be part of AEGD Program specially uconn. i have 6years of home country experience and 1 year of observing expin USA. My Q is ,I have not worked on patients for past three years, will this cause rejection at the interviews?would passing part2 Board exam help me get accepted?

please help me with any suggestions, because i am not entitled to work in USA and I really want to have an work exp from here.

i look forward for your help,
shashi

Members don't see this ad.

You should post in the international dental forum. I believe you need to complete a international dental program in a U.S dental school, and get a DMD/DDS. Then take the boards.

You should post in the international dental forum. I believe you need to complete a international dental program in a U.S dental school, and get a DMD/DDS. Then take the boards.
Uhmmmmm, totally wrong! but thanks for playing!

This is what you do:

1. Apply through PASS.
2. Hope for an interview.
3. Hope to get accepted.
4. Hope for world peace.

Uconn accept foreign trained dentists for their AEGD program. Having the boards (nbde's) are a plus for your consideration.

Sooooo! there you go!

:D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Uhmmmmm, totally wrong! but thanks for playing!

This is what you do:

1. Apply through PASS.
2. Hope for an interview.
3. Hope to get accepted.
4. Hope for world peace.

Uconn accept foreign trained dentists for their AEGD program. You don't have to do all that mumbo jumbo as posted by "BiomajorPreDent". Having the boards (nbde's) are a plus for your consideration.

Sooooo! there you go!

:D

Hey buddy, there is no reason to be a jerk. And I wasn't totally incorrect either. Connecticut happens to be one of the few states that doesn't require about 2 years at the pre-doctoral level again.

OP, you still have to take the boards part 1 atleast.

"Take the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) Part I administered by the ADA Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE). The National Board Part I examination is a requirement for licensure, but it is also required for acceptance into an advanced standing/supplemental program."

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/licensure_stepbystep_intl.pdf

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.asp

And here is a state by state breakdown OP, Connecticut is in there.

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf

Good luck with getting on your feet in the states.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, there is no reason to be a jerk. And I wasn't totally incorrect either. Connecticut happens to be one of the few states that doesn't require about 2 years at the pre-doctoral level again.

OP, you still have to take the boards part 1 atleast.

"Take the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) Part I administered by the ADA Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE). The National Board Part I examination is a requirement for licensure, but it is also required for acceptance into an advanced standing/supplemental program."

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/licensure_stepbystep_intl.pdf

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.asp

And here is a state by state breakdown OP, Connecticut is in there.

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf

Good luck with getting on your feet in the states.

Hey man, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers!

My sincere apologies if I did.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies!!

I have completed part1 NBDE and preparaing for NBDE part2. Hope to be part of UCONN.

All of you are wrong, I just got accepted in their AEGD program(proud member of the 2010 new class). The program dosn't required the NBDE exams, in fax some applicants with the NBDE part 1 didn't got in, some with the part 1 and part 2 didn't MATCH nider. Dr. Ruiz look for a person who has experience and its committed to the program, graduated within the pass 5 years to the date of application. Things that will get you a boost are to have dental experience like a extership, dental assistant with expanded functions, experience in you country(if you are a foreign dentist), military experience it a plus and keeping your feet on the floor and not in your mouth in the interview.

P.M. me if you need some information.

Last edited:
All of you are wrong, I just got accepted in their AEGD program(proud member of the 2010 new class). The program dosn't required the NBDE exams, in fax some applicants with the NBDE part 1 didn't got in, some with the part 1 and part 2 didn't MATCH nider. Dr. Ruiz look for a person who has experience and its committed to the program, graduated within the pass 5 years to the date of application. Things that will get you a boost are to have dental experience like a extership, dental assistant with expanded functions, experience in you country(if you are a foreign dentist), military experience it a plus and keeping your feet on the floor and not in your mouth in the interview.

Anyhoo. I guess you are talking about the AEGD program at Uconn, right?

That program is like the one at Eastman in New York, Its hard to get in and with the big difference that is even harder to get an interview( Eastman will interview anything that has a pulse).

I guess you have to be at the right moment, in the right bat- time and in the same bat-channel for that program. You got accepted so kudos to you.

This thread should be Moved to the international forum.

Over and out!

Last edited:
Anyhoo. I guess you are talking about the AEGD program at Uconn, right?

That program is like the one at Eastman in New York, Its hard to get in and with the big difference that is even harder to get an interview( Eastman will interview anything that has a pulse).

I guess you have to be at the right moment, in the right bat- time and in the same bat-channel for that program. You got accepted so kudos to you.

This thread should be Moved to the international forum.

Over and out!

This thread should stay, the AEGD at UCONN is a program that accepts international dentist, but its not an exclusive international AEGD. This program has graduates from ADA accredit schools. UCONN is not like the Eastman program(which is an international AEGD program and you have to pay to be part of it), it offers stipend and opportunities to finish with multiples state licenses. Its hard to get in and is the biggest AEGD program in the United States.

Tony72, congrats for getting into the program. I am a foreign dentist with an MPH from US and I have just started working towards my dental licensure. I was looking at the posts and I found AEGD and GPR to be interesting programs. Would you be able to throw some light on these please?

1) Do I need to give the NBDE exams?
2) After the AEGD program, would I be able to practise anywhere in the US or is it restricted to just CT state.
3) What is the degree/ certificate called after you complete the program?

Thanks in advance.

This thread should stay, the AEGD at UCONN is a program that accepts international dentist, but its not an exclusive international AEGD. This program has graduates from ADA accredit schools. UCONN is not like the Eastman program(which is an international AEGD program and you have to pay to be part of it), it offers stipend and opportunities to finish with multiples state licenses. Its hard to get in and is the biggest AEGD program in the United States.

Awesome. Quick everybody apply! You get your license and don't have debt afterwards! Sweet-tah!

This thread should in the international forum as well! International dentists would definitely benefit from this information!

Thanks buddy! :)

Posted a link in the international forum, so I guess this thread can stay. :D

The AEGD in Uconn its the program that has the most amount of applicants, its not the safe house, that your are trying to make it. its hard to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AEGD in Uconn its the program that has the most amount of applicants, its not the safe house, that your are trying to make it. its hard to get in.

I'm not trying to make it a "safe house". What I'm implying is that for foreing trained dentists it's another option to get your license and practice. Sure, it might be hard to get in, but guess what? everyone has an opportunity just like you did.

So.... Having said that, tell your program director to get a new file cabinet to storage the vast amount of applications because now its going to be even more. :D

Thanks! if it weren't for you ( having cleared my misconceptions about the program) it probably would have fallen into obscurity.

Thanks buddy!

P.S.

And for those who are interested:

http://sdm.uchc.edu/prospective/advanced/general/index.html

Last edited:
I'm not trying to make it a "safe house". What I'm implying is that for foreing trained dentists it's another option to get your license and practice. Sure, it might be hard to get in, but guess what? everyone has an opportunity just like you did.

So.... Having said that, tell your program director to get a new file cabinet to storage the vast amount of applications because now its going to be even more. :D

Thanks! if it weren't for you ( having cleared my misconceptions about the program) it probably would have fallen into obscurity.

Thanks buddy!

P.S.

Hi friends:)
Thanks a lot for the information.felt as if there is a hope in life.
all i saw was dds ,dds and only dds..i dont know any other option than that.can u please enlighten me on various options.thanks a lot again.god bless u all
best regards
sunshine2011.:)

What all do you want to know sunshine? I actually know someone who got in so I know exactly what they are looking for.

Everything! :D (sorry for the intrusion!)

hehehe..good one though pavi :)
just apply with BDS ..is that enough? do they look into toefl scores? or what are the documents or ref letters i need to have before applying to uconn.
cheers
sunshine2011

Hey guys, sorry I totally forgot about this thread....so pretty much I think the following are a bonus to get accepted to the UConn AEGD program:

1- VERY confident- please note, THERE IS a thin line between very confident and OVER confident...you dont want to be obnoxious and make them feel that you are there to teach THEM lol.
2- Lot of experience (5 years +) from either THEIR country or the U.S
3- other ppl who got accepted also had Post Graduate degrees from their country.
4- Should know alot of the new technology, material, methods that is new in the dental industry...
5- Talk about any specific experience that helped you LEARN something new...ex- attended a conference, any HANDS ON thngs you did
6- you better be doing something OUT of the ordinary when you go to the interview....be it research, helping a dentist...sorry guys i dont think being a DENTAL ASSISTANT is out of the ordinary...these days almost ALL the foreign grads that come try to grab a dental assistant job so its pretty common unless you've been doing it for 5+ years...
7- be able to answer why you dont want to go the traditional DDS route...and KNOW that you can only practice in limited states if you go the AEGD route...

That's all i can think of right now...sorry for replying late guys..I hope I helped. Good luck!:thumbup:

Everything! :D (sorry for the intrusion!)

Right on point, this help me get in their program. Good luck to all applicants.

Hey guys, sorry I totally forgot about this thread....so pretty much I think the following are a bonus to get accepted to the UConn AEGD program:

1- VERY confident- please note, THERE IS a thin line between very confident and OVER confident...you dont want to be obnoxious and make them feel that you are there to teach THEM lol.
2- Lot of experience (5 years +) from either THEIR country or the U.S
3- other ppl who got accepted also had Post Graduate degrees from their country.
4- Should know alot of the new technology, material, methods that is new in the dental industry...
5- Talk about any specific experience that helped you LEARN something new...ex- attended a conference, any HANDS ON thngs you did
6- you better be doing something OUT of the ordinary when you go to the interview....be it research, helping a dentist...sorry guys i dont think being a DENTAL ASSISTANT is out of the ordinary...these days almost ALL the foreign grads that come try to grab a dental assistant job so its pretty common unless you've been doing it for 5+ years...
7- be able to answer why you dont want to go the traditional DDS route...and KNOW that you can only practice in limited states if you go the AEGD route...

That's all i can think of right now...sorry for replying late guys..I hope I helped. Good luck!:thumbup:

Last edited:
actualy if you go to Pass program search you get information about any program you want, you can get thier website, and phone numbers where you can call and ask.
what you can not get is other peoples experince which we need to talk about right here.
thanx again

hey Tony...what kind of experience is appreciated for a foreign dentist? as in private practise or in some dental schools or corporates?

Hi guys,
Please, if anyone is familiar with pass/match program, I need advise soon☺️. Also, I'd like to know more about the essay form & how to write. I'm applying for GPR.