An ORM who sides with the URM folks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramed2premed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am white, upper-middle class. I went to a prep school, I have mongrams on my shirts, and both my parents are doctors. I am an over-represented-majority.

Most of the arguments regarding URM's "easy" admission refer to the centrality of scores with regard to whether someone "deserves" to be admitted to school. This is one element of the discussion that is relevant to this particular WASP.

My GPA sucks and blows. But my medical experience, as well as the upward-arc of my grades, highlight my unique qualities (Lord, I hope so...). Two med schools have agreed, and WL'd me.

So, when URM's point to the value - beyond scores - they can bring to a medical school, I have to agree, because that is the same argument I am making for myself.

Wazzup, brothers! Word is bond! :p

Members don't see this ad.

True that!!

Welcome to the hood brother!!

Word

BTW I am also an ORM URM lover with lower stats but great physician like skils (bedside manners, etc) accepted in view of that rather :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA sucks and blows. But my medical experience, as well as the upward-arc of my grades, highlight my unique qualities (Lord, I hope so...). Two med schools have agreed, and WL'd me.
So, when URM's point to the value - beyond scores - they can bring to a medical school, I have to agree, because that is the same argument I am making for myself.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree that scores are secondary to the personal qualities of the applicant.

However, are you implying that since the world is not fair, that there is nothing we can do to make it any fairer?
This is not a viewpoint I endorse.

sally and johnny???? is that you????

you two are just too much!

However, are you implying that since the world is not fair, that there is nothing we can do to make it any fairer?

Yeah, that's just what I said. You nailed it.:rolleyes:

I am saying, and evidently others understood, that fairness is not dictated utterly by scores! Qualities that make for good doctors are not all subsumed in those two all-important numbers.

Just so you don't counter that this post is an apologia for bad scores, my MCAT was 36-S. The fact that I did not get in yet shows that scores are just part of the equation, and rightly so.

Shout out to the lily-white a$$es!:laugh:

Word. Add me to the list :)

Where mah sisters at? ;) (heehee, you should hear me speak ebonics to the kids I taught :D )

There was a JAMA article on affirmative action which I thought presented a good argument in its favor. (march 2003) I can't believe I can't access it from UCSF, what gives? if someone else can paste it here that would be cool. :cool:

sunflower :)

*Watches all the yuppie kids gathering around, thinking they are cool, exchanging cell phone numbers.*

Originally posted by sunflower79
Word. Add me to the list :)

Where mah sisters at? ;) (heehee, you should hear me speak ebonics to the kids I taught :D )

There was a JAMA article on affirmative action which I thought presented a good argument in its favor. (march 2003) I can't believe I can't access it from UCSF, what gives? if someone else can paste it here that would be cool. :cool:

Its pretty lame when a bunch of people with low stats start relating to URM's due to low stats and start speaking ebonics. Terms like "brotha" and "sista"... To be an URM applicant to medical school does not mean you speak ebonics or have low stats. Its sad and shows tendencies of subconscious racism to believe such.

i agree with alpha53 and really think it is a shame low scores and grades are equivalent to being a URM. i find it somewhat rude and insulting to say the least. i have high grades which i worked for and i feel your gpa or mcat should not be attributed to ANY RACE!!!
Being a URM is more than grades and you sarcastic remarks belittle the life experiences URMs face on a daily basis.

I am really sorry, your low grades in no way associates you or classifies you or even gives you the right to classify yourself as a URM

*sigh* :rolleyes:

I was trying to be humorous. The kids I taught (all URMs) and I had this running joke about me speaking ebonics. I'm sorry you don't find the humor in this. I was certainly trying not to offend anyone. :( Of course I know that many URMs do not speak ebonics.

I just posted here in order to say that I don't agree with many other ppl (and ORMs) who put down affirmative action and who put down URMs who get accepted to schools despite lower-than-average numbers (and clearly numbers aren't everything). Of course I know that there are URMs who do have stellar numbers.

sheesh. I am not posting to another AA thread again. :rolleyes: :p

The Consequences of Premature Abandonment of Affirmative Action in Medical School Admissions

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/289/9/1143?maxtoshow=?eaf

(Waay to long to cut & paste... let me know if the link doesn't work)

sheesh. I am not posting to another AA thread again. :rolleyes: :p

I wish everyone would stop posting AA threads, period.

They are annoying, even to a 50% URM like myself.

A bump in the name of love

Yes, a bump in the name of love.

My post was about a common interest, shared values, and viewing an issue as more than a simple "white vs non-white" conflict. The only person I equated with low grades was me.

Anybody who took offense with my ideas or language should reread it in the morning. Things often seem less provocative at that time, I find.

pathdr2b,

you seem to be inciting a lot of negativity on this site by bumping up conterversial threads. if you had something to add to the argument, that would be great but right now it seems a bit childish.

this appears to a party of mediocracy:rolleyes: