Careers that involve a lot of travel

demh23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I really like the lifestyle of George Clooney in "Up in the Air". I was wondering if there are any careers in medicine which involve a lot of travel. I'm talking about specialties that have a lot of conferences and stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I really like the lifestyle of George Clooney in "Up in the Air". I was wondering if there are any careers in medicine which involve a lot of travel. I'm talking about specialties that have a lot of conferences and stuff

Never saw the movie, but many doctors attend conferences because it's required for continuing medical education. I think CMEs don't necessarily need to be completed with a lot of travel, through. If I had to guess at an area of medicine that involved more traveling it would be the established researchers.

Never saw the movie, but many doctors attend conferences because it's required for continuing medical education. I think CMEs don't necessarily need to be completed with a lot of travel, through. If I had to guess at an area of medicine that involved more traveling it would be the established researchers.

Agree with schritzo. Probably research or clinical trials would be good for travel. You could become an infectious disease doctor and help monitor lots of sites where the drugs are being tested. Or with infectious disease you could work for the UN and travel to countries all over the world battling malaria, polio, etc.

So, yeah, go with ID.

Members don't see this ad :)
That seems really interesting. Thanks !

If you're really talking about a job like the guy had in "Up in the Air" there are very few in medicine. For those that didin't see the movie the main character in that is a human resources consultant who travels >300 days per year, barely ever sees his own apartment, rarely goes to consult at the same place twice and is usually on at a place for 1 to 2 days.

Note expecially that his travel is all paid for, and his job is to be on the road. That makes it different from a specialty where you go to lots of conferences. The best you you do in medicine is to get your conference expenses paid for, almost no one gets paid to go to them.

Almost every doc, even ones who do travel a lot (relatively) have a job site where you spend most of your time.

I suppose if you found some kind of medical consulting gig you could spend a lot of time traveling but those kind of jobs as a physician are rare.