D-Day Breakdown 6/6/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm super pumped to be done. I'm pretty pleased with my scores for the amount of time I put in. I'll go ahead and post my scores and give some general study tips and then I'll do a section breakdown when I get time.

PAT:--22 (93.4%)
QR:---19 (91.2%)
RC:---22 (84.4%)
Bio:---22 (95.9%)
GC:---24 (97.7%)
OC:---23 (94.4%)
TS:---23 (97.8%)
AA:---22 (97.0%)

cGPA - 3.9 (estimating due to having a +/- system)
Not sure of my sGPA but it is probably pretty much the same as my cGPA

Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology

TOPSCORE 1 (3/30):
PAT:--22
QR:---22
RC:---25
Bio:---20
GC:---19
OC:---21
TS:---20
AA:---21

TOPSCORE 2 (4/1):
QR:---23
RC:---22
Bio:---21
GC:---25
OC:---23
TS:---22
AA:---23

TOPSCORE 3 (4/3):
QR:---25
RC:---23
Bio:---21
GC:---19
OC:---25
TS:---22
AA:---23

CDP Scores were: 19(month before), 19, 19, 19, 22, 23, 23, 23, 23(night before)

All in all I was pretty pleased with the test. I only started QR practice a week or so before my exam so I was glad it didn't bring me down too much.

General Study Tips: I think a big part in being able to study for a test like this is the ability to keep studying feeling fresh. I started really studying for it around March 7th when I realized I had less than a month or so to get my stuff together. I actually think it was kind of nice to start studying late (if you are already decently comfortable with the material) because I still felt pretty decent towards the end of studying and wasn't too burnt out. Another way to try to keep things interesting is mixing up what you study. I never really sat down and did biology but pretty much just studied biology when I was sick of studying other stuff. Another really helpful thing was using these forums. I essentially used these forums to let me know what I didn't know. It's easy to just study everything in a book and then you think you know everything. By reading questions here, sometimes you notice topics you completely forgot, or that you were rusty on.

PAT (22): Keyholes - most similar to topscore. I felt that the drawings were more "random" than CDP. I got to the point in CDP where I was getting 15s on all keyholes but found this to actually be pretty tricky. I feel like CDP was pretty easy to figure the differences between each view and see what they were trying to trick you.
TFE - I don't really remember Topscore's TFE much, but I felt like this portion of the PAT was relatively simple compared to CDP. (if you can work your way to 15s on CDP you are in good shape.
Angles - Oh god...I hated angles and never really focused on trying to improve. I feel like these were most similar to Topscore.
Hole punching - This was pretty similar to CDP/Topscore; nothing too tricky or tough. I would highly suggest using the 4x4 grid method. There weren't any you couldn't solve while using that method.
Cube counting - Pretty simple. These were on par with the patterns found in Topscore, but higher resolution (similar to CDP resolution). If you can get 15s on CDP, again, you are in the clear. I used the method of making dashes for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 sides on the white board.
Pattern folding - I thought this was kind of tricky. I thought it was a little tougher than CDP because it was harder to easily eliminate answers.

QR (19): I really just started studying for this about a week before the exam. I read Kaplan notes which were general. I would suggest getting an SAT/ACT book if you struggle with math and need more information on the topics. After reading through Kaplan I went through the Destroyer which was pretty helpful. I would highly suggest going through Destroyer at least once. I kind of wish I had gone through it more than once, but I finished the day before the exam so I didn't really have time. As far as the calculator goes, I thought it was really useful. The only time it was slow was if you wanted to put in a number that had 2 of the same consecutive numbers; eg. 100. Also, make sure it is cleared when you are using it. You have to be aware of what you are doing so if you get 500/100 and the answer it gives you some absurd number, hit clear and redo it (obviously don't use it to do 500/100, but you get the point).

RC (22): Not really sure what to say for this. I really didn't think it was too bad and thought one of the passages was semi interesting. I used search and destroy (I think?) and it worked pretty well. I kind of used this section for a little chill before the QR. I didn't really go that fast paced and still had time to review again at the end (maybe 15 minutes or so). I know Kaplan suggests reading scholarly articles, but I feel like just reading general science articles would be just as good, if not better.

Bio (22): This section had pretty general questions and a few specific ones. They were all pretty much either you know it or you don't. For this I read through Kaplan, then did AP Bio, and would just look up random stuff on Wikipedia and read questions on here. I didn't make it to the Destroyer questions here, but I think looking back, it is useful if you can get to them, but if not, I wouldn't say they were "must-dos" but they would help. Question styles/breadth were pretty much on par with Topscore.

GC (24): This surprised me a ton. Gen chem was one of the sections that I really didn't study that much for because I simply hated it in undergrad. With that said, I think my undergrad gen chem prepared me pretty well, so the rough review I did do was adequate. If you have a good background in this, then I would suggest brushing over everything because the questions seemed pretty simple, but covered quite a lot of subjects. I watched Chad's Videos (and took notes) for this, read Kaplan, and then went through Destroyer (spent 3 days on the gen chem problems ~75 a day or so).

OC (23): I really don't remember many of the questions from this section. I enjoyed Ochem a lot more than gen chem so when it came to this portion I pretty much just flew through to give me more time to review gen chem which I thought I would lose a lot of points on. I watched Chad's Videos (and took notes), read through Kaplan, and then went through Destroyer (spent around 1.5 days on this since ochem questions are a little less work to solve and you kind of either know it or you don't). Question style seemed pretty similar to Topscore from what I can remember.

General info: The boards they give you are the same size as the scienceaide ones if you have them (roughly the size of a piece of printer paper) and are a light blue in color. I was given two boards and 3 markers. I found the markers to be pretty nice; they didn't write too large, and they were pretty good as far as not being dry. They had some pretty nice noise-cancelling headphones there. I hadn't practiced using any, but I figured I would give it a try and see how they felt and by the time I started I didn't really even notice them. I would suggest using them if given. During the QR portion of my exam the kid next to me started drumming on his desk and it kind of cancelled the noise out but was still super annoying. Also, when taking the exam, don't get down on yourself. I definitely did not think I had done as well as I did. Just focus on the section you are on and do the best to your ability, you are probably doing better than you think.

Materials used:
Kaplan Review Notes Book -didn't take class, just got book from someone
Cliffs AP Biology
Schaum's Biology - I didn't really use this, but I would give it a read through if you have time after reading Cliffs if you want to get more general knowledge
DAT Destroyer - extremely helpful for ochem and genchem. I didn't really look at the last couple road maps
http://legacyweb.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/flashcards/ - this website was decently helpful for ochem if you want more practice on reactions
Topscore - I found this was useful to just figure out how the exam was laid out and build a little stamina
Wikipedia - awesome website
Google - simple questions you have can be answered pretty well by good. If you are just lost on a general top (eg. Krebs Cycle) then it's best to google it, read up and understand it. Then you are better able to figure out what specifically you need to focus on and why you can't figure out a certain problem.
SDN - This place is really useful if you know how to use it. I found it helpful to attempt to answer as many questions as possible, because you can learn a lot from teaching others and you also learn what you don't know so well. It's also helpful to work out problems here when people have different answers because it forces you to not just know that question, but learn deeper and understand the entirety of the topic.

I think that's pretty much all I've got. If you have questions or if I forgot something, let me know. Feel free to PM too. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great scores! Did you use the calculator much on the QR part of the test or did you find it slowing you down? I'm wondering if you think it's better to study with or without the calculator.

I dont understand why your subject says "D DAY BREAKDOWN 6/6/10? hence its not june and you have scores?

Thanks for the congrats everyone. Going to work on the breakdown now.

Great scores! Did you use the calculator much on the QR part of the test or did you find it slowing you down? I'm wondering if you think it's better to study with or without the calculator.

I found the calculator really helpful. I know someone had mentioned it was kind of slow and you had to wait to hit the next button, but I only ran into that problem if I was having to press the same button twice (5000/x) for example. I would go ahead and practice with your onscreen calculator but make sure to click, rather than using the numpad.

I dont understand why your subject says "D DAY BREAKDOWN 6/6/10? hence its not june and you have scores?

Because I fail at dates...haha. Let me attempt to change that.

Edit: yeah, I can't change the title. Not sure if a mod can, but if not, just act like it says 4/6.

for the PAT you kept noting if you get 15s.

that's below average for the pat though. Or are you saying 15/15 for each section. I'm leaning towards you meaning if you're able to get all of them right for each section.

for the PAT you kept noting if you get 15s.

that's below average for the pat though. Or are you saying 15/15 for each section. I'm leaning towards you meaning if you're able to get all of them right for each section.

Oh yeah, sorry, I mean like out of the 15. I think basically, for the most part if you do topscore PAT, I would go more so off of problems like that. However, I think pretty much all of the PAT sections on CDP pretty you really well except for the keyholes which I thought were a little more tricky on the real thing. For example, on CDP, most of the keyholes were for the most part all of the same view, but with slight nuances. On the real thing, you have to be able to think of all the views at once. I think a good way to study with CDP would be to go back over your exam (or while doing it) and think of what the figure would look like from every side. When I took then I kind of just looked at them from the general angle of the answers and then figured out what it would look like from that one alone.

Hey congrats Maygyver! We did somewhat the same! Nice consistent scores man!! Haha back to back success good job buddy!

Just a quick question:

How were you able to take DAT on 06/06/10? Can I get on your time machine and arrive at 2014?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a quick question:

How were you able to take DAT on 06/06/10? Can I get on your time machine and arrive at 2014?

Hah I hate you. :) This is more proof that my brain is fried at the moment. However, I'll gladly make something I can call a time machine and sell it to you if you want. :rolleyes:

Congrats on such awesome scores!
I was wondering what you mean by the Kaplan lesson book.
I took the online course so I have two books from Kaplan, a thick Review book, and a thin Lesson book.

Which did you use to study?

Thanks

wait I'm confused, so when did u take the test??????

:p

Congrats man, very solid! Thanks for helpful breakdown.

You did AWESOME!!! It's time to celebrate...You earned it.

edit: nevermind. you answered it in your post.

where did you get science articles from? scientific american isn't very information-dense like the RC section...any website in particular?

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for all the positive feedback!

Congrats on such awesome scores!
I was wondering what you mean by the Kaplan lesson book.
I took the online course so I have two books from Kaplan, a thick Review book, and a thin Lesson book.

Which did you use to study?

Thanks

Ah, I used the Review Book then for the most part. I have a used copy of the Lesson book too, but that had everything filled out so I just skimmed it. Thanks for noticing that. I thought the lesson book (thin one) was decent though for covering a few things I didn't find the in review book. I would definitely suggest reading through the review book before doing Destroyer though because Destroyer can be pretty demoralizing if you haven't begun to look over stuff yet.

You did AWESOME!!! It's time to celebrate...You earned it.

edit: nevermind. you answered it in your post.

where did you get science articles from? scientific american isn't very information-dense like the RC section...any website in particular?

Hmm, that is true. For my RC, I just did one of the practice sections in the Kaplan Review Book and then the topscore exams. I think maybe a mixture of articles would be best. I would combine reading like a few articles from NYTimes science section or Scientific American, and then also doing some journal articles perhaps (Nature.com has some good life sciences stuff) and that way you can get tone from the regular articles and dense material from the journals.

Last edited:
okay... Im actually studying Ochem from KBB .. and basically im memorizaing all the mechanism and products right now... do you think this is necessary? cuz this is really tough... and did u had any questions on nomenclature? spectro?

okay... Im actually studying Ochem from KBB .. and basically im memorizaing all the mechanism and products right now... do you think this is necessary? cuz this is really tough... and did u had any questions on nomenclature? spectro?

I always found the best way to learn ochem was to understand the mechanisms rather than just memorizing them. I think you should be good on the DAT if you can understand what is happening in the general reaction and then be able to look at two reactants and figure out what will happen. For example, learn how a general carbonyl reaction occurs (partial positive carbon gets attacks...etc, etc) and how electrophilic substitution occurs, etc. I think for the most part Kaplan seemed to cover every topic but I would focus on learning the over arching mechanism/logic of the reaction. The only mechanisms you need to know really in depth would be SN1/SN2/E1/E2 I would say.

Thanks! I was pretty happy that every thing ended up around the same score.

Maygyver, nicely done! Thanks for posting your study methods and materials. Very helpful. I am planning on the same kind of thing, meaning I would like to take the DAT at the end of May, so about 5-6 weeks of good studying. Right now, I'm taking Organic II and doing well in it, but that final exam is early May....so I may only have about 3-4 weeks of good intense DAT studying. Anyways, thanks again for posting this great information. Congrats!

Thanks, and glad I could be of help. It should be helpful that you will just be coming out of organic. That should save you quite a bit of study time since you won't have to refresh on that. I'm glad the breakdown could be of help, let me know if I can help with anything else.

Hey Maygyver, did you get any of the infamous piano, ethics or FRAP passages? Your RC score is awesome, congrats.

Thanks, and glad I could be of help. It should be helpful that you will just be coming out of organic. That should save you quite a bit of study time since you won't have to refresh on that. I'm glad the breakdown could be of help, let me know if I can help with anything else.

Yes, I definitely think taking Organic II and taking the DAT right after the class will be a big help. Once again, thanks for answering everyone's questions! Big help for sure :)

Hey Maygyver, did you get any of the infamous piano, ethics or FRAP passages? Your RC score is awesome, congrats.

As far as I know, the passages I had weren't anything that has been discussed here. If it helps, the RC was pretty comparable to Topscore for timing but they had a few more "mood" questions.

@FreeFallin: No problem, I am pleased to help. :)

Did you just read Cliff like a novel or by taking notes and reading crazy

focus mode.. cuz that is what I am doing for G-chem, I have done KBB and

ExamKracker and still think it's not enough for me.. something is making me

nervous lol