I got a C, I got a B, I got an A-, I did bad this semester, I did bad this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for reading this post before making a thread on this matter. At this point of the year, dozens of students flock to SDN to bewail their misfortune and pledge to get nothing but A's in the pre-reqs/coming semesters/whatevs. I'm here to answer your question and save us veteran posters the hassle of getting cranky over repetitive posts. If this post does not answer your question, please use the search function.

I got a C/B/A- in a pre-req.
You will live, do not retake this course and just do better on future courses.

I did bad this semester/year.
You will live, do not retake those courses and just do better on future courses.

To summarize, there is redemption from bad grades. You might have to work harder. You might have to give up a few things or change your habits. You might, frankly, not be up to the challenge. Regardless, people have survived bad grades and gone all the way to Harvard and Johns Hopkins or whatever your dream school is. It won't be as easy, but it can be done. You aren't doomed to the Carribean/PA school/McDonalds/Janitorwork/DO school or whatever your deepest dark fear is. Move on, don't forget the extra-curriculars, and keep a positive attitude about yourself and try to ignore other pre-meds. They have their own problems too even if they aren't the same as yours.

Love,

Every poster on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You do realize you're going to have to BUMP this every December and May right? lol

I feel like someone should make a FAQ for pre-meds.

But maybe that would cut the threads in half, lose the SDN advertising dollar.:thumbdown:

Wouldn't help. Why research something when someone can tell you the answer? Typical pre-med mentality.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like someone should make a FAQ for pre-meds.

But maybe that would cut the threads in half, lose the SDN advertising dollar.:thumbdown:

Nah, I don't think you need to worry about people actually reading such an FAQ. SDN would still get PLENTY of new threads about the same 3 topics (if the use of the search button is any indiciation...)

Nah, I don't think you need to worry about people actually reading such an FAQ. SDN would still get PLENTY of new threads about the same 3 topics (if the use of the search button is any indiciation...)

You notice when people actually use the search function that people just resurrect a 4 year old thread? :laugh:

Hey guys, I could use some advice here. I got an A- in Super Advanced Organic Chemistry IV. I actually got a 92.44%, and you need a 93% to get an A in the class. My school is really hard (way harder than other schools, trust me) as well. I talked to the professor, and he wouldn't change my grade, even though I told him I am pre-med. My parents are really disappointed in me and told me my best option is now the night shift at Taco Bell. Can someone help me?????????//// I don't know what to do....continue with my studies or further analyze Crunchwrap Supreme geometry?????? :scared:

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I could use some advice here. I got an A- in Super Advanced Organic Chemistry IV. I actually got a 92.44%, and you need a 93% to get an A in the class. My school is really hard (way harder than other schools, trust me) as well. I talked to the professor, and he wouldn't change my grade, even though I told him I am pre-med. My parents are really disappointed in me and told me my best option is now the night shift at Taco Bell. Can someone help me?????????//// I don't know what to do....continue with my studies or further analyze Crunchwrap Supreme geometry?????? :scared:

Refer to the following link for guidance::laugh:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=565169

Already been tried. Never works.

sdn_search.gif

Reactions: 1 user
I think the FAQ might be a good idea.

Even if you have an FAQ and active threads on the topic on the first page, people will still impulsively click "new thread."

Members don't see this ad :)
You notice when people actually use the search function that people just resurrect a 4 year old thread? :laugh:

When search is used properly, there is often no need to bump the old thread. It's only when someone reads that old thread and wants to let us know that they agree with it that it becomes a problem.

OMFG, classic:roflcopter:

ok, i can see the OP will never make it... it's "i did badLY" get it right, it's not hard. you'll never be a doctor this way..

octagon. solved. =)

Wouldn't help. Why research something when someone can tell you the answer? Typical pre-med mentality.

Exactly. It seems there is always someone willing to answer your question on here, regardless of how many times it has been asked.

I love the people that open the thread knowing darn well what is going to say, just so they can say "search function". Its a futile effort!

I love you.

LoL, thanks. I like poking fun every now and then. Agent B had this thread in his sig; so I said, eh, WTH: *click!*

Thanks for bumping this thread Guero. :thumbup:

Any links I mentioned in my sig can be bumped, since the intention is to deter future redundant threads from being created.

Thank you for reading this post before making a thread on this matter. At this point of the year, dozens of students flock to SDN to bewail their misfortune and pledge to get nothing but A's in the pre-reqs/coming semesters/whatevs. I'm here to answer your question and save us veteran posters the hassle of getting cranky over repetitive posts. If this post does not answer your question, please use the search function.

I got a C/B/A- in a pre-req.
You will live, do not retake this course and just do better on future courses.

I did bad this semester/year.
You will live, do not retake those courses and just do better on future courses.

To summarize, there is redemption from bad grades. You might have to work harder. You might have to give up a few things or change your habits. You might, frankly, not be up to the challenge. Regardless, people have survived bad grades and gone all the way to Harvard and Johns Hopkins or whatever your dream school is. It won't be as easy, but it can be done. You aren't doomed to the Carribean/PA school/McDonalds/Janitorwork/DO school or whatever your deepest dark fear is. Move on, don't forget the extra-curriculars, and keep a positive attitude about yourself and try to ignore other pre-meds. They have their own problems too even if they aren't the same as yours.

Love,

Every poster on SDN.

I chuckled when I read this because I posted earlier asking about my crappy freshman year grades. I think this thread should be a sticky.....maybe change the title though, if possible? (It's a little misleading).

I love you.
:rofl: Thank you for quoting that! I didn't read any of the old posts and missed that gem!

I chuckled when I read this because I posted earlier asking about my crappy freshman year grades. I think this thread should be a sticky.....maybe change the title though, if possible? (It's a little misleading).

Agreed. That was also my intention of rehashing the thread. I imagine the OP (a mod) wouldn't mind throwing it up in the stickies.

This may sound like a stupid question but what if you have a C- in a prereq?

This may sound like a stupid question but what if you have a C- in a prereq?
It's not good; but it's also not a death sentence, especially if extenuating circumstances are involved. Just be honest during the application cycle and be prepared to explain yourself when you interview. Good luck.

The DO comment is rude regardless of whether it was intended as a joke.

No it's not. It's bias and misunderstanding. Just like allo schools there are different tiers and many or all top tier DO schools are better than some mid to low tier allo schools. Mine is one of 4 med schools, now 3 allo, one osteo. 2 allo and my osteo school were sister schools. We got more apps than both allo schools and our stats are equal. We have had people match at Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, even 1 or 2 at Harvard. So don't enable this view that DO automatically is inferior, we have plenty of people with 35+ MCATs who chose us because they loved the environment and philosophy. Plus u premeds may not be aware that we now are getting one accreditation system for graduate medical education so all residencies and fellowships will be ACGME, they just agreed to a merger. As a 4th year DO student who matched into EM, please take my advice and stop pushing this bias. Doctors should be judged as individuals, not by if they went MD or DO

This thread goes to show that almost anything can turn into a DO vs. MD argument. Good work y'all.

Reactions: 2 users
No it's not. It's bias and misunderstanding. Just like allo schools there are different tiers and many or all top tier DO schools are better than some mid to low tier allo schools. Mine is one of 4 med schools, now 3 allo, one osteo. 2 allo and my osteo school were sister schools. We got more apps than both allo schools and our stats are equal. We have had people match at Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, even 1 or 2 at Harvard. So don't enable this view that DO automatically is inferior, we have plenty of people with 35+ MCATs who chose us because they loved the environment and philosophy. Plus u premeds may not be aware that we now are getting one accreditation system for graduate medical education so all residencies and fellowships will be ACGME, they just agreed to a merger. As a 4th year DO student who matched into EM, please take my advice and stop pushing this bias. Doctors should be judged as individuals, not by if they went MD or DO

Ok. You're just trolling at this point if:

1. You can't recognize satire
2. You can't understand the main point of this thread

Strong regurgitation of facts in your troll post

Not a troll, thanks very much, I can recognize satire but with all the bias and so forth I don't appreciate it regardless of how it was intended.

Nice to see sarcasm and accusations of trolls from premeds. Once you graduate med school you can judge, until then drop the judgemental attitudes.

Not a troll, thanks very much, I can recognize satire but with all the bias and so forth I don't appreciate it regardless of how it was intended.
Nice to see sarcasm and accusations of trolls from premeds. Once you graduate med school you can judge, until then drop the judgemental attitudes.

So how is your rant relevant to this thread again?

Hint: it isn't. You're just here to waste our time and be a nuisance. Your frustrations are out-of-scope and a distraction, so we would appreciate if you stop.

Did you get offended on the internet? If you don't appreciate it, then just ignore these types of posts.

That's it, I'm done. I don't have time or energy to deal with this. Out of here.

No disrespect, joking or not, was meant to DO schools. I was simply acknowledging the fact that some people find it a less favorable path, not agreeing with their assessment.