2010-2011 NEOUCOM Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Got a secondary via email on 7/8/2010. The essay is as follows:

The Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for admission. This holistic approach includes, but is not limited to, one's life experiences, personal characteristics, talents, background and personal diversity. Personal diversity may entail race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, geographical origin/location and first-generation college student status. With all of this in mind, please describe what you would contribute to the university and the medical profession.
Note: 4000 character limit.

This one will take me some time to write....

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a secondary via email on 7/8/2010. The essay is as follows:

The Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for admission. This holistic approach includes, but is not limited to, one's life experiences, personal characteristics, talents, background and personal diversity. Personal diversity may entail race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, geographical origin/location and first-generation college student status. With all of this in mind, please describe what you would contribute to the university and the medical profession.
Note: 4000 character limit.

This one will take me some time to write....

Sheesh - yea it will! Thanks for the heads up on it :thumbup:

I still haven't heard a peep from this school. Has anyone else besides nmr received a secondary?

i received/submitted the secondary about a week and a half ago..

hah, I just decided to try to login to the supplement website to see whether it would deny me - appears I'm able to get in. Will this be frowned upon if I submit this secondary before I receive an email saying they'd like me to?

Just to be safe, fill it out and submit the minute you get an actual invite. I'm sure they can see when you accessed it (when you created an account or whatever). But I would be hesitant to send it without an official invite, like you're presuming (even though they don't screen, right?).

Just received and completed secondary. Good luck everyone :luck:

Anyone else get a secondary recently? I havent yet... :(

I got mine on the 27th. Haven't finished it yet though - life's gotten a little hectic!

No luck either, although it could be that AMCAS still hasn't received my transcript. However, I've already gotten 2 secondaries from other schools.

So I just submitted my secondary and I can't seem to remember what was on the last page besides the essay question. Would someone mind telling me? I'm getting a bit paranoid that I might have left something out. I know we had to sign it with our initials and mark that we read the responsibilities of being a med student/physician. THanks! I'll really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
still haven't received a secondary? anyone else in the same boat? should i call the school and inquire about it?

They do in fact screen if I am reading the website right as there are minimum requirements you have to meet.

Does anyone see if there are interview dates anywhere on their website? Like when the first interviews are and when they run through. Not like specific dates or anything.

Got and submitted their secondary. They asked for moving traffic violations too - are they looking for a trend like Cincinnati? I can't imagine that one ticket or so would end your application...right?

off of their website:
You will be able to access your supplemental application after:
Your AMCAS application to NEOUCOM has been verified by AMCAS; and
You have submitted a valid letter of recommendation to NEOUCOM as well
It has been verified that you meet NEOUCOM's minimum academic requirements

could the bolded part be why I haven't received the secondary yet? I always thought that we were supposed to assign LORs AFTER we received the secondary from a school. grrr...i'm really annoyed that I could have had this ages ago if only I had sent in my letters.

off of their website:
You will be able to access your supplemental application after:
Your AMCAS application to NEOUCOM has been verified by AMCAS; and
You have submitted a valid letter of recommendation to NEOUCOM as well
It has been verified that you meet NEOUCOM's minimum academic requirements

could the bolded part be why I haven't received the secondary yet? I always thought that we were supposed to assign LORs AFTER we received the secondary from a school. grrr...i'm really annoyed that I could have had this ages ago if only I had sent in my letters.

I haven't gotten the secondary yet either and I suspect that it is because they haven't received my LORs yet (my committee is taking SOOOO LOOOONNG).

just got the secondary... .dang... it took them forever; I wonder why~!:p

Got and submitted their secondary. They asked for moving traffic violations too - are they looking for a trend like Cincinnati? I can't imagine that one ticket or so would end your application...right?

One traffic ticket will not end your application. There would be no doctors if this was so. I would assume they are more concerned with DUI or a pattern of reckless behavior such as numerous speeding tickets within one year or something like that.

I keep getting an error while trying to submit this secondary. Anyone else having problems? I'll call tomorrow (when they're actually open), but really wanted to get it in today... :thumbdown:

I can access the secondary (without being officially invited), but I'm a little annoyed they didn't email me to let me know, since they screen. Oh well, I can forgive them considering how little time their application will take.

I can access the secondary (without being officially invited), but I'm a little annoyed they didn't email me to let me know, since they screen. Oh well, I can forgive them considering how little time their application will take.

Let me know if you're able to submit without issues. For some reason the site keeps telling me 'the web page you are trying to access does not exist' when I hit the submit button. :thumbdown:

Let me know if you're able to submit without issues. For some reason the site keeps telling me 'the web page you are trying to access does not exist' when I hit the submit button. :thumbdown:

Have you tried calling the admissions office? I literally called about 7 admissions offices today clearing up very ambiguous status pages and other issues (I couldn't log in at Kentucky, other glitches...).

But until then, sure, I'll let you know. Good luck, though.

Edit: When I click "submit" this message appears: Essay submitted; thank you.

Otherwise, the entire application looks the same, as though I haven't submitted. You can actually change answers (but NOT the essay), and "resubmit", or update the application. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Have you tried calling the admissions office? I literally called about 7 admissions offices today clearing up very ambiguous status pages and other issues (I couldn't log in at Kentucky, other glitches...).

But until then, sure, I'll let you know. Good luck, though.

Edit: When I click "submit" this message appears: Essay submitted; thank you.

Otherwise, the entire application looks the same, as though I haven't submitted. You can actually change answers (but NOT the essay), and "resubmit", or update the application. Pretty cool.

Ugh. After trying like 8 times, it finally submitted. My essay was 3,900ish characters (including spaces) but it only submitted after I deleted a couple lines, wondering if it was too long for some reason. Ah well, it's done now. What a relief! :rolleyes:

Ugh. After trying like 8 times, it finally submitted. My essay was 3,900ish characters (including spaces) but it only submitted after I deleted a couple lines, wondering if it was too long for some reason. Ah well, it's done now. What a relief! :rolleyes:

Glad you got it done. Some of these app pages have been so glitchy these past couple months.

I have gotten nothing so far! I was verified 8/4!
but i am oos...does that mean anything?

I hate this secondary. Worst one by far. Its basically our personal statement....the sequel.

I have gotten nothing so far! I was verified 8/4!
but i am oos...does that mean anything?

NEOUCOM historically does not start interviewing until at least mid-late October.

So no worries.

Interview invite!

They were very nice on the phone. No email yet.

Complete middle of August.

32Q 3.96c 3.94s

Hey guys, this thread has being kinda quiet. Have they started sending out interview invites yet and if anyone has gotten them? I am already getting impatient with this process haha.

I haven't gotten an invite and I haven't heard of anyone applying at my school that has. I received "September update" and "October update" emails saying that they would be shifting their focus to the regular action admissions process...hopefully we'll hear some good news soon!

Transfec, congrats on the interview invite! When were you complete?

I haven't gotten an invite and I haven't heard of anyone applying at my school that has. I received "September update" and "October update" emails saying that they would be shifting their focus to the regular action admissions process...hopefully we'll hear some good news soon!

Transfec, congrats on the interview invite! When were you complete?

My application was complete mid August.

I received the November update, and I am OOS. It was surprisingly detailed, saying that they have rejected some people thus far, and interviewed a very small group of applicants (their words). It also said that I received the email because I was in a pool of potential interviewees.

Hopefully that helps!:)

I received the November update, and I am OOS. It was surprisingly detailed, saying that they have rejected some people thus far, and interviewed a very small group of applicants (their words). It also said that I received the email because I was in a pool of potential interviewees.

Hopefully that helps!:)

I got all excited when I received this as well cause I thought I got an interview :smuggrin:. But I have a feeling they send this type of update to almost everyone. But I am optimistic as well and lets see how it goes. :thumbup:

I agree....what I was more excited about was that I haven't been rejected yet, but that they are sending some out. (aka we made it through some kind of cut)

I agree....what I was more excited about was that I haven't been rejected yet, but that they are sending some out. (aka we made it through some kind of cut)

I had the same feeling, especially because i applied in past years and got flat out rejected. Hopefully my improved MCAT will help

If it makes anyone feel better, I got both the September and October updates, but have NOT received a November update, interview, or rejection.

So the November update doesn't go out to everyone. : )

Completed 9/28
Called yesterday (Nov 10) for an interview on 11/23!

Wish me luck!

Good luck WuMedic! Did you receive a November Update from them? How did you know when you were complete?

Good luck WuMedic! Did you receive a November Update from them? How did you know when you were complete?
Thanks!

Yes, I received a November update on Nov 2nd

I knew I was complete from an email with subject line "Supplemental Application completed." It was received on 9/28.

Anyone else have an interview yet? The interview schedule seems very short (11:15 to 1pm for me). How do they get an info session, an interview (I assume only one) and a tour in during that time?

For anyone wondering, I was invited to interview last week and I did not receive any November update. Was everyone else invited via phone call?

I got the November update from neoucom, but have still not been invited for an interview or anything. How long does it usually take? What is a good gpa/mcat combo for an interview at neoucom?

I've also gotten a November update but haven't heard anything about an interview. I spoke with an admissions representative from NEOUCOM who visited my undergrad and she said the bulk of their interview invites aren't sent out until November and December. As far as gpa and mcat, their averages for incoming direct entry students are around a 3.7 and 27. They post the following suggestions on their website:

Suggested additional minimal achievements for Direct Entry admissions consideration include:​
Option 1

• 3.25 overall grade-point average in undergraduate coursework [3.50 for Non-Ohio residents]​
  • 3.20 grade-point average in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math (BCPM) [3.25 for Non-Ohio residents]​
  • MCAT score of 8 or higher in each subtest on the most recent test​
Option 2

• 3.50 overall grade-point average in undergraduate coursework​
  • 3.50 overall grade-point average in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math (BCPM)​
  • MCAT composite score of at least 24 on the most recent test, with subtest scores of 8 or higher in two sections and no less than a 7 on the third​
I think those are generally what the cutoffs are to receive a secondary, so I don't know how good of a shot at an interview the minimal stats have.

If you haven't gotten an interview invite yet I wouldn't get too worried, right now at my undergrad there are at least 60 people who've applied to NEOUCOM and I've only heard of 3 invites, all 3 students having ridiculously good numbers.

Anyway....that was quite long winded.....hopefully we'll here good news soon!

submitted secondary 10/28 got an invite last week for an interview. Any tips on interviewing there? Any place to find info on the school other than their website?

Yeah, it seems like there isn't much info on their interviews here. I'm still perplexed at the short length of the schedule. How much can they talk about after they talk about me?

has anyone heard any news from this school since the November update? I wanted to know if they sent out a December one. Good luck to all those applying and interviewing!

I dont think there is a december update. I've given up hopes on this place. I feel like they have given out all the interviews that they wanted to. :(

has anyone heard any news from this school since the November update? I wanted to know if they sent out a December one. Good luck to all those applying and interviewing!

Status
Not open for further replies.