2010-2011 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

First reply!

I'm very sure I cannot get into UCLA, but I applied anyway..:D

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know anything about the statistics requirement for UCLA? For example, would a class in probability count?

anyone get a secondary pending an MCAT score with an application thats verified?

Thanks

I have a snowball's chance in heck here, but I'm still applying. :xf:

With a USC avatar, I wouldn't doubt this. haha :p

I don't think the secondaries are out yet...so I wouldn't worry. That being said, I doubt they would send out a secondary to someone whose MCAT score is pending...They want to see those numbers before offering a secondary since they screen.

Got this email a few hours ago:

We have been notified by the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) that you have designated the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA as one of your choice schools.

Our Admissions Committee will be conducting the preliminary review of all our applicants through the month of February. Any additional information such as supplemental information, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. will be requested after initial review. David Geffen School of Medicine is only be accepting letters of recommendation via AMCAS.

Please be assured that all precautions have been taken to give your credentials a fair and complete evaluation.

You may check the status of your application via the 2011 Application Status web site. This site is updated weekly. The link for the status web site is located at the following location: http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/prospective. You will need your AMCAS identification number, birth date, and the last four digits of your Social Security number in order to access the status page.

Please do not forward additional material until instructed by the Admissions Committee.

Thank you for your interest in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

Got this email a few hours ago:

We have been notified by the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) that you have designated the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA as one of your choice schools.

Our Admissions Committee will be conducting the preliminary review of all our applicants through the month of February. Any additional information such as supplemental information, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. will be requested after initial review. David Geffen School of Medicine is only be accepting letters of recommendation via AMCAS.

Please be assured that all precautions have been taken to give your credentials a fair and complete evaluation.

You may check the status of your application via the 2011 Application Status web site. This site is updated weekly. The link for the status web site is located at the following location: http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/prospective. You will need your AMCAS identification number, birth date, and the last four digits of your Social Security number in order to access the status page.

Please do not forward additional material until instructed by the Admissions Committee.

Thank you for your interest in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

Just got it too. Got so excited when I saw it in my inbox...thought I got screened in. Oh well better than nothing!

i got it too! hopefully it wont be long until we have secondaries!

Recieved the e-mail too. I know they say they review through February, but typically, when do ppl start seeing secondary invites from UCLA?

what does that email mean?? do we received another email for secondary or do we just keep checking that status site???

For those who received this email, is your primary verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
The UCs need to come out and play already.

When I log into the application status page, it says

MSTP Supplemental Information: Requested
Letters of Recommendation: Requested

When I click on the supplemental stuff it tells me

You have been selected to complete a "Supplemental Information Form" as part of your application for admission to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Please review the instructions below on how to proceed.

And gives me some instructions. However, when I try to access the actual secondary it gives me some errors, making me think the secondary itself isn't up yet. I'm not completely sure, but what I got makes me think I was screened through to the secondary.

When I log into the application status page, it says

MSTP Supplemental Information: Requested
Letters of Recommendation: Requested

When I click on the supplemental stuff it tells me

You have been selected to complete a "Supplemental Information Form" as part of your application for admission to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Please review the instructions below on how to proceed.

And gives me some instructions. However, when I try to access the actual secondary it gives me some errors, making me think the secondary itself isn't up yet. I'm not completely sure, but what I got makes me think I was screened through to the secondary.

Mine is still blank. When were you verified? Maybe MSTP students are reviewed first.

Mine is still blank. When were you verified? Maybe MSTP students are reviewed first.

I think so too-- I just applied to regular MD and its all blank so it looks like MSTP is being reviewed now. According to last year, it looks like people were getting secondaries a day after the initial email went out so lets keep our fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I think so too-- I just applied to regular MD and its all blank so it looks like MSTP is being reviewed now. According to last year, it looks like people were getting secondaries a day after the initial email went out so lets keep our fingers crossed! This is my 2nd choice (after UCLA PRIME)

Too bad its Sunday tomorrow. :mad:

i'm kind of confused by that February thing... that doesn't mean that they start screening in february right?? lol

i'm kind of confused by that February thing... that doesn't mean that they start screening in february right?? lol

LOL, This is exactly what I was initially thinking. I doubt it. :D

Good luck to everyone who is applying this cycle. :luck::xf: I'm rooting for you guys.

I was verified June 30th. I also never got an email from UCLA; I just decided to log in and check.

Does anyone know how UCLA (or any of the UCs) actually look at multiple mcat scores.

I know GW says on their website that they take the highest scores from each mcat (so nice!)

But I can't seem to find any other school that will admit to that.

Does anyone know how UCLA (or any of the UCs) actually look at multiple mcat scores.

I know GW says on their website that they take the highest scores from each mcat (so nice!)

But I can't seem to find any other school that will admit to that.

Most schools will look at the most recent MCAT score. Of course, they do see all the scores though. Some schools will take all of the scores into account, and some will consider only the most recent. Very few schools will take the highest score from each mcat.

I got the e-mail. My status is still blank. I would imagine this is going to take a while.

Same here! I saw the e-mail, opened it up then I... jizzed-in-my-pants

time table on their website says they send secondaries out in august.. so

I just got the secondary prompts, same as last year i like 800 characters for each.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

For what its worth, I'm applying for the MSTP

Hope this helps.

^congrats! Looks like MSTP is getting stuff first. Out of curiosity, did you also get an admission timelines in the initial email saying secondaries are coming in August or did MSTP people get something different?

and I feel like Im gonna have trouble distinguishing non-academic activity and volunteer experience.. unless I go the hobby route for the former

^congrats! Looks like MSTP is getting stuff first. Out of curiosity, did you also get an admission timelines in the initial email saying secondaries are coming in August or did MSTP people get something different?

and I feel like Im gonna have trouble distinguishing non-academic activity and volunteer experience.. unless I go the hobby route for the former

just to verify this, has any non MSTP applicant received a secondary yet?

i think it stands for Medical Scientist Training Program-- essentially its MD/PHD. at least to my knowledge

Here's a bit more detail, but if you want an official, well-qualified source, head on over to the Research forum.

MSTP is a NIH-funded MD/PhD program where tuition/fees are fully remitted and you live on a stipend, just like if you were a PhD student. There are fully remitted non-MSTP MD/PhD programs out there (a lot of them), but MSTPs are regarded as the most competitive and prestigious, and the best places to do research.

Just received an email saying I was screened in for the secondary! Pretty happy, since I'm OOS but anyone know how strict they are with the screen?

Also, they give a link to the secondary but you're supposed to look for it on their site...and I can't find it...

just received the email as well, but i'm also having a hard time finding the actual info form.. maybe/hopefully it takes a while to show up?

Just received an email saying I was screened in for the secondary! Pretty happy, since I'm OOS but anyone know how strict they are with the screen?

Also, they give a link to the secondary but you're supposed to look for it on their site...and I can't find it...

Same here! Really frustrating.

i got the same problem. I got the email saying i received the secondary but my status is still blank.

Yeah, I also got email but could not find the secondary on website. Guess we need to wait till tomorrow. Happy too.

same problem, maybe its gonna take a while (few hours/one day) for the site to be up after they sent these emails? who knows

Yeah - I can find a grid that has a box that says "supplemental info" but no actual secondary - that's what everyone else is seeing so far as well, right?

LOL I love how quick all of us are with SDN. Anyways I just browsed last year's thread and it looks like they had the same problem. Probably just have to wait til tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.