2010-2011 University of Mississippi Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else noticed University of Mississippi not available to select on the Add a Medical School section of AMCAS application? Is it because I'm oos?

Maybe. They don't accept OOS applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr dawg is exactly right. UMC doesn't take OOS applicants. Applicants have to have been legal residents of MS for a year before applying to the medical school.

Thanks for the responses. I grew up in Mississippi, but moved away from home for a job. Was hoping they might look at strong family ties. Oh well.

Thanks for the responses. I grew up in Mississippi, but moved away from home for a job. Was hoping they might look at strong family ties. Oh well.

You may want to contact the admissions department about your specific situation. They may give you a shot.

How's everybody else looking for this application cycle? I'm a little nervous!

does anyone know when they release secondaries to regular decision applicants?

does anyone know when they release secondaries to regular decision applicants?

Regular decision here. I received my UMC secondary app the same day that my AMCAS primary was verified (July 9th). Are you verified yet?

Regular decision here. I received my UMC secondary app the same day that my AMCAS primary was verified (July 9th). Are you verified yet?
My primary says it's still in line to be verified by AMCAS. I submitted on July 20. They have received all of my transcripts and other info. How long did it take them to verify your application?

My primary says it's still in line to be verified by AMCAS. I submitted on July 20. They have received all of my transcripts and other info. How long did it take them to verify your application?

I submitted June 23rd, so around 16 days. Depending on how busy AMCAS is right now, you will probably be verified soon. This spreadsheet http://www.mediafire.com/?zgwmktmmgnt puts it at around 18 days for a July 20th submission, based on last year's applicants. There is no secondary essay, so you aren't really missing out. It took me less than 10 minutes to fill it out. You'll see.

To anyone who has interviewed there... do we just show up at the time they want us to interview?

Mine is scheduled for 1115 am. Do I just show up at 1045 and wait... make sure I don't miss it? or do I show up at 8 for a tour and all that jazz.

I called admissions... the woman reiterated that my interview was at 1115... just wanna double check...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if people will still get interview invites for the upcoming months? and what the interview format is like? (i.e. group interview or one-on-one) thanks!

There are three, thirty minute interviews with admissions committee members.

Does anyone know if people will still get interview invites for the upcoming months? and what the interview format is like? (i.e. group interview or one-on-one) thanks!

I just got an interview invite from them, so it appears that they are doing interviews still. May want to call admissions to see if they have all of your stuff. Some documents were missing from my file. Once I got those in, I heard about an interview in about 2 days.

Congrats on those with interviews!

For those who already interviewed, can you talk about your experiences and impressions of the school? Gacibula, how was your interview?

Hey dreaming! Sorry... haven't been back to the forums in a while.

Interviews went great, everyone was really laid back and the professors were great. There are 3 30 min interviews. I'm sure you heard this. They all ask "roughly" different things. Just be confident in your answers and don't get cornered by a prompt.

On a side note! First round of acceptances came out last night at midnight!

I talked to UMC admissions and they said they try to finish up interviews by December 16...but it may run later this year.

Can anyone accepted so far give some of your app info...MCAT, GPA, types of extracurricular? Just thought it would give those of us still waiting some idea of stats for this year...thanks!

@ MedJenn

I was accepted. I was a bit nontraditional in that I am also going to be graduating in May with my doctor of pharmacy and transitioning into med school. Here's my stats anyways

MCAT-28R, GPA-3.92, Air Force ROTC (lots of leadership throughout), vice president of my pharmacy class, 3 research projects... no real actual physician shadowing, but plenty of patient interaction through pharmacy school.

Good Luck!

Congrats gacibula!! And thanks for the info...I'm also non-traditional with MBA...late applicant with good GPA...but 25 MCAT. Have free clinic experience and very little shadowing...hope it's enough for at least interview!

Status
Not open for further replies.