2010-2011 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email this morning asking me to pay $70 for them to continue processing my application.

After going to their site and paying, a message said You are not required to complete a Secondary Application at this time.It seems weird that they are making me pay before extending me a secondary app. Oh well.

Oooh, that is tricky! I was all excited and just about to pay the $70 but, something just didn't feel right about paying before you even get to see the secondary. I'm gonna call and ask what the deal is.

Also, I read on past threads that everyone who gets a secondary gets an interview but again I have this feeling that this would be too good to be true.:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo... does this mean Nebraska has no secondary? I'm confused

Same deal here--i paid, and nothing happened after that. Any insight would be appreciated

I received a second email today, asking me to select interview dates. No essays in the secondary. Excited for October!

just got my secondary as well, and selected my interview dates. So after reading the instructions I found my self a bit confused on their LOR procedure. Are we supposed to print their forms off and have our letter writers re-write our LOR's and then mail them in. I thought UNMC participated in the AMCAS letter service. Any one know what's up with this.

Hey would those of you who received the real secondary, ie. the secondary with interview invites please share your stats and whether IS or OOS. Thanks.

just got my secondary as well, and selected my interview dates. So after reading the instructions I found my self a bit confused on their LOR procedure. Are we supposed to print their forms off and have our letter writers re-write our LOR's and then mail them in. I thought UNMC participated in the AMCAS letter service. Any one know what's up with this.

I hope I'm not too late in replying to this, but I called the UNMC staff and they said that they also receive LORs through the AMCAS service... no need for evaluators to re-write anything. Hope that helps, and good luck!

So, there is definitely no essay or additional form we need to fill out? I'm confused... :confused:

So, there is definitely no essay or additional form we need to fill out? I'm confused... :confused:

maybe i can shed some light on the application process... there are no essays to write for UNMC which is pretty awesome. no need for letter writers to resubmit their letters (i was told this by jackie last year) and i think all IS applicants get an interview. i haven't heard of any IS applicants not getting an interview but i cannot be sure that there aren't any. if you read the previous threads, you'll find out that they give preference to IS students... just FYI in case you are OS and do not/cannot spend more money on 2ndary applications. after i paid the 2ndary app fee, i was sent the secondary shortly after (maybe 1 week?). you pick your top interview dates and they'll send you an email to confirm which date you will interview. relax and be yourself on interview day... make sure to wear comfy shoes as they have med students take you on a tour. be friendly and talk to other applicants around you and make sure you guys check out the interview feedback page that SDN has put together. if you guys have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!

maybe i can shed some light on the application process... there are no essays to write for UNMC which is pretty awesome. no need for letter writers to resubmit their letters (i was told this by jackie last year) and i think all IS applicants get an interview. i haven't heard of any IS applicants not getting an interview but i cannot be sure that there aren't any. if you read the previous threads, you'll find out that they give preference to IS students... just FYI in case you are OS and do not/cannot spend more money on 2ndary applications. after i paid the 2ndary app fee, i was sent the secondary shortly after (maybe 1 week?). you pick your top interview dates and they'll send you an email to confirm which date you will interview. relax and be yourself on interview day... make sure to wear comfy shoes as they have med students take you on a tour. be friendly and talk to other applicants around you and make sure you guys check out the interview feedback page that SDN has put together. if you guys have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Nice. Thanks for the info.

@Flatlandhiker, when are you interviewing in October, and are you IS or OOS?

I scheduled my interview on Oct. 15. Just in time to catch the Nebraska v. Texas game the next day. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey would those of you who received the real secondary, ie. the secondary with interview invites please share your stats and whether IS or OOS. Thanks.

I'm OOS and I got an interview with a c3.69/s3.58 (upward trend) and a 33 MCAT. Then again, I do go to school in Omaha (Creighton) so that may have factored in their decision. Still, pretty excited! :D

Last edited:

I'm IS and I scheduled my interview on Oct. 15. Just in time to catch the Nebraska v. Texas game the next day. :)

That was a smart idea. I wish I would have scheduled my interview for that day as well. Oh well looks like i'll just have to support my Big Red from Ohio. Lets beat Texas!

I scheduled my interview on Oct. 15. Just in time to catch the Nebraska v. Texas game the next day. :)

Good call! :thumbup:

The big red is the way to go.

im interviewing October 22nd! those of you who are from the area, which hotels would you recommend for proximity to UNMC/cost? thanks so much!

Anyone else interviewing on October 8th? I just got confirmed today. :D

Did you guys just straight up mail in your photos? Or did you attach it to a letter or something?

I guess I'm really just wondering if I should just mail it in by itself.

Did you guys just straight up mail in your photos? Or did you attach it to a letter or something?

I guess I'm really just wondering if I should just mail it in by itself.

Yeah, I just mailed my photo in a folded sheet of white paper. I guess that's alright since I probably wouldn't have received an interview had I been incomplete.

Does anyone know what happens after you pay the application fee? Will they notify you if you are not selected for an interview.

Does anyone know what happens after you pay the application fee? Will they notify you if you are not selected for an interview.

For me, after I paid the secondary fee I was able to access the secondary itself (I couldn't look at it before paying) and the secondary included ranking my preferred interview dates. A day or so later, they emailed me with my confirmed interview date, hotel info etc. I assumed getting a secondary meant you also got an interview. anybody pay the secondary and never interview?

For me, after I paid the secondary fee I was able to access the secondary itself (I couldn't look at it before paying) and the secondary included ranking my preferred interview dates. A day or so later, they emailed me with my confirmed interview date, hotel info etc. I assumed getting a secondary meant you also got an interview. anybody pay the secondary and never interview?

I received an email saying to pay the secondary fee, but I have yet to receive an interview. Its possible that my application was reviewed and I did not get an interview especially since I'm OOS. We'll see, I only paid my secondary fee about a week ago.

Wow this thread is quiet, so I think I'll give it a little love. Anyone else interviewing next week (like me), or already interviewed? Any current students want to give their opinions on what they like/don't like about UNMC?

anybody out there who has already interviewed at nebraska willing to share what it was like? Or any current students have some tips they don't mind sharing? i know mpx already asked, but we're still waiting to hear everyone's much appreciated feedback :)

I interviewed last week, and really enjoyed the whole experience! There were about 20 applicants there, and the first thing they did was get us into a room and talk about their new building (which is admittedly pretty awesome). After a short tour they split us into groups of 5 and sent us off with a current student to do some more touring and discussing. Then our interviewers came to get us from these groups. Interviews were 30 minutes each, and although I can't speak for everyone, mine was very relaxed and conversational. My interviewer had some bullet points he made sure to hit, but otherwise we just chatted about my experiences and motivations. The interview was closed file, so he had no prior info about me, but he seemed interested in hearing my story and was quite engaged in the conversation. Afterwards we basically just had lunch (which was pretty decent) and left. Overall I think their program seems great and the learning facilities are fantastic. I hope I get in (though they don't send any decisions out until December, so it will be quite a wait until then)!

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to send a secondary after AMCAS has verified the primary?

I was verified last Thursday (21st) and received secondaries to 3 schools on Friday, all of which are out of state (im in-state obviously). However, I have not yet received a secondary to UNMC. I realize it's only Monday so I am not too worried about it, and I am thinking I got those 3 secondaries so fast because they just want my app fee.

Last edited:
I'm out of state, so I had to file an appeal before I received a secondary. However, my understanding is that pretty much every Nebraska applicant receives a secondary and an interview. I'm sure you will receive one within the next couple days. Otherwise you might just want to contact the admissions office and ask. They are quite nice.

Yes I am in state...sorry for such a late reply!

I will see you tomorrow, Ill be the one in the suit...well blue suit...

Another MD school rejected me to day and got waitlisted at my top DO choice, terrible day today. Please, UNMC, give me hope to live! Come on January.

Which tie did you decide on? Pretty laid back interview, huh? I would rather hear back before Christmas. January seems so far away...

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more posters in it.
UNMC is ranked pretty high on the U.S. News and World Report list for Primary Care.

Which tie did you decide on? Pretty laid back interview, huh? I would rather hear back before Christmas. January seems so far away...

It was a green tie, I was the short brown guy. It was laid back, but I think I fumbled some questions because I was nervous. How did yours go?

Does anyone want to share where they stayed overnight for their interview that was reasonably priced? I called admissions to get a student host and they said there is no hosting program! I couldn't believe it... Anyway, now I'm looking for a cheap place to stay that is fairly close to campus--if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

Try Best Western Seville Plaza in Omaha. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport and the medical center. That is where I will be staying next week for my interview.

It went great! Nice and relaxed. All he asked was to tell him about myself and that was really all.
Glad it's done though!

I'm interviewing Nov. 19th. Anyone else?

Last edited:
For all who are interested, I ended up doing some searching and found a free room at the medical fraternity house, Phi Chi, which is about 3 blocks from the Michael Sorrell Center. It was a good experience and a great way to talk with some students outside of the context of classes and tours and such. I would recommend it to anyone who is trying to keep travel costs down.

that's a great tip about the med frat! I missed out on that but stayed at the Best Western Seville Plaza. When you book your room be sure to tell them you have an interview at UNMC and they give you a cheaper rate. It's the same rate if you book through Expedia (?) too. hope that helps some and good luck!

Well they said they would start reviewing and inviting in December, here we are.....

I think it is mid-December. Anyone correct me if I am wrong... Come on envelope on the 17th! I will probably already start checking my mailbox every Friday.

Last year the first non-early decision acceptance posted on this site was December 21st (or right around there), which was a Monday. Probably the acceptances were sent on the previous Friday, so I suspect they will start sending acceptances on December 17th this year... two more weeks!

How does the admission process actually work? Do they decide in batches?

Status
Not open for further replies.