2010-2011 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:
None

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alright, time to start up this thread.

Just sent off my TMDSAS yesterday and couldn't be happier to have that done with...

Is UTH anyone else's top choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
^I submitted today. It is also my top choice.

Good job to both of y'all on submitting your TMDSAS's so early. I believe that it plays a big part in successfully applying to medical school in Texas.

Just some advice, go into the process with an open mind about schools. I found myself very pleasantly surprised by schools I did not really consider and disappointed by some I liked. My parents recently reminded me that I told them before the process that "I didn't want to go to UTSW, I had heard bad things, blah blah", but after my interview day it was definitely my #1 choice.

Just my 2 cents, but good luck to y'all throughout the rest of the cycle :D

I submitted everything on 5/20 but it's still processing. People I've talked to have said that UTH and UTMB send out information the earliest out of all the Texas schools.

Good job to both of y'all on submitting your TMDSAS's so early. I believe that it plays a big part in successfully applying to medical school in Texas.

Just some advice, go into the process with an open mind about schools. I found myself very pleasantly surprised by schools I did not really consider and disappointed by some I liked. My parents recently reminded me that I told them before the process that "I didn't want to go to UTSW, I had heard bad things, blah blah", but after my interview day it was definitely my #1 choice.

Just my 2 cents, but good luck to y'all throughout the rest of the cycle :D

I definitely agree! I realized that my perception of most of the schools was based just on hearsay and stereotypes. Once I visited, and especially once I got to talk to other students, my ideas changed a lot. I only applied to the UT schools (from TMDSAS), but I can honestly say that after interviewing at all four of them, I believed I could be happy and receive a great education at all of them.

So keep an open mind guys and good luck!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I definitely understand about keeping an open mind (being on here since 2006, this isnt my first rodeo :) and :( ). I just happen to be lucky enough to work for UTH, and I'm a little biased :D. I'm definitely applying to other places though. I want to see what there is to offer in TX but the other schools are really going to have to blow me away if they want for me to change my mind.

The main reason why UTH is my top choice is because of my family. I'm not originally from Texas, but now I live in Houston with my wife (it was a hard transition coming from Miami), so we don't want to go through the whole process of packing everything and moving again. However, I would be happy going to any of the schools in Texas.

My apologies to the both of you, I wasn't insinuating that you didn't have good reasons for wanting to stay in UTH, just giving you and anybody else reading the thread a heads up :)

anyone know what a 33Q 3.75 (3.73sci) chances are here?
Good extra curriculars, a few leadership positions

Members don't see this ad :)
im OOS, 32R 3.7 3.6 GPAs and have a lot of HC experience, volunteering, etc. Are they pretty strict on the OOS they look at or do I have a fighter's chance at an interview? I'd appreciate any help. thanks!

They can only accept a maximum of 10% of the class from OOS, so yes, they're very strict on the OOS applicants. I don't have a good feel for what is required of OOS applicants, but a strong tie to Texas is usually required. I've also noticed that the OOS people in my class went to strong schools, like Ivy League schools.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give some of you an update! One of my mentors is on the admissions board at this school and when I spoke to him today, he told me that they haven't started pulling AMCAS applications out yet and they're unusually behind everyone else this year. So don't start stressing yet as they have not even looked at anyone's application yet! Hope this helps some people out! I know how anxious it can be waiting especially since this is my top choice :)

Does anyone know when the interview days of the week are?
They haven't updated their website...

my primary application was just transmitted to this school today and I am not sure if this is early/normal/late for TMDSAS standards and I don't know how things roll in Texas. Also, I never had a chance to talk about the ties I have to the state (my brother lives there), will I get a chance to without a secondary or will I just have to hope for an interview? thanks guys

my primary application was just transmitted to this school today and I am not sure if this is early/normal/late for TMDSAS standards and I don't know how things roll in Texas. Also, I never had a chance to talk about the ties I have to the state (my brother lives there), will I get a chance to without a secondary or will I just have to hope for an interview? thanks guys

you're somewhat early still for TMDSAS. getting close to average. For now, I would wait and hope for an interview. If it gets to be around mid-October and no luck, I would send a letter of interest explaining your ties to the state, your interest in the school, and what you've been doing since the time of your primary application to improve yourself as an applicant and hopeful future medical student. If it comes to this, PM me and I will tell you the best people to send your letter to (worked for me this past year). Good luck!

FYI guys....

I was on campus this morning and Ms. Nancy Murphy mentioned that they aren't having the first set of interviews until the first week of September. They are super late this year. Just in case some of you were wondering.

FYI guys....

I was on campus this morning and Ms. Nancy Murphy mentioned that they aren't having the first set of interviews until the first week of September. They are super late this year. Just in case some of you were wondering.

Thanks for the update, I was actually wondering if they had started yet! I guess that means they will be inviting people mid August...

FYI guys....

Thats good to know

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give some of you an update! One of my mentors is on the admissions board at this school and when I spoke to him today, he told me that they haven't started pulling AMCAS applications out yet and they're unusually behind everyone else this year. So don't start stressing yet as they have not even looked at anyone's application yet! Hope this helps some people out! I know how anxious it can be waiting especially since this is my top choice :)

Just wanted to let you all know I tried to tell you guys this same info last week lol but its cool :)

Got an interview invite by e-mail about 10 minutes ago for 9/3!

Congrats, on this and on the great start. Youre really racking them up.

Edit- wow, 2 seconds after hitting the submit button, I got an email for an interview invite. Same date 9/03, guess ill see you there.

Received an invite for 9/3 also, but already have an interview then. The email they sent seemed pretty negative towards rescheduling and didn't provide a contact for questions or help. Hopefully responding to the confirmation email address with a request to reschedule isn't going to be a problem...

Received an invite for 9/3 also, but already have an interview then. The email they sent seemed pretty negative towards rescheduling and didn't provide a contact for questions or help. Hopefully responding to the confirmation email address with a request to reschedule isn't going to be a problem...

One or the other is likely to reschedule you. Email both to see which one is more able to accommodate you at an other date.
The schools do seem like they are on a tight schedule. I tried to reschedule at Indiana and was told that I would be put on a waiting list to interview, and I would not be guaranteed the spot at the later date.

One or the other is likely to reschedule you. Email both to see which one is more able to accommodate you at an other date.
The schools do seem like they are on a tight schedule. I tried to reschedule at Indiana and was told that I would be put on a waiting list to interview, and I would not be guaranteed the spot at the later date.

Yikes. Thanks for the advice. :)

FYI I had no trouble rescheduling mine w/ UTH last year. I think I just replied to the sender of the email invite, and they were very nice. Or you can just call the main admissions office number.

Good luck!

Got an interview invite by e-mail about 10 minutes ago for 9/3!

I got the same invite-- frustratingly (especially since UTH is my number one choice) I have an interview scheduled for the same day in D.C.... and to think I was going to get the opportunity to put a face to the avatar. It's almost worth canceling on Georgetown for. If my best friend didn't live in DC....

But regardless, I am :D over here about this one. I really wish I had known that I'd get interviews in TX. I wouldn't have applied so broadly OOS. Stupid grey area of stats.

FYI I had no trouble rescheduling mine w/ UTH last year. I think I just replied to the sender of the email invite, and they were very nice. Or you can just call the main admissions office number.

Good luck!

That makes me feel a lot better, thanks. :) I called admissions (and they were very nice) and was told to try emailing and they'd do their best to accommodate a change.

A change isn't a big deal, but try to only do it once. Make sure the date you ask for is the date you'll be there.

When I got my first interview offer ever, I freaked out like crazy. I responded and said I'd absolutely take the interview, then I looked at my calendar and realized I had class and upcoming tests or something, so I requested a change. Then I requested some other date, then realized it was ok to go back to the original date. I sent like 10 emails and ultimately ended up back on the same date. When I got to the interview, the admissions lady was kinda pissed at me.

Hey, congrats to all of you who got interviews...

when were your apps transmitted?

I was transmitted 7/13 and I havent heard from UTH or UTMB so im kinda worried...

im a 3.5/32 here so i wont be surprised if I get placed on "hold" or something...

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of applications in TMDSAS already. They can't look through everyone and interview everyone on the first day. Don't get stressed out because you didn't get an interview for the very first day of interviews.

i got a 9/3 interview!
I just wish houston wasn't such a long drive from lubbock...

I got an invite yesterday around 5pm for September 10th!
So happy! I've been waiting for UTH and UTMB :D

For those who have interviewed already, did anyone go to the Social the night before? If so, how was it/is it worth going to?

For those who have interviewed already, did anyone go to the Social the night before? If so, how was it/is it worth going to?

The first interview date isn't until 9/3, unless no one on SDN got an earlier date.

9/03 is the first interview date. I imagine the social would be very worth going to. Its at a nice location, and knowing the other interviewees will make the morning after much more enjoyable.

For those of y'all who received interview invites, when did you submit TMDSAS?

My TMDSAS app was transmitted to the schools on 6/19.

The interview social the night before is a good way of getting to know the students in a more relaxed atmosphere. It's a great opportunity to ask the brand new MS1s what they think about the transition to medical school.

It's just our way of welcoming you to Houston and giving you a chance to ask real students anything you want and get an honest response.

Status
Not open for further replies.