UK--> US. Questions about residency/relocation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMunchausen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I work as a specialty registrar(ST3) in the UK( equivalent to Resident year 3). I am close to obtaining the MRCPsych( 3 written papers done. Clinical exam left). I am planning to move to USA. (as I fed up with NHS job cuts, difficulties obtaining consultant jobs in the future etc).
I am yet to give my steps but have started preparing for it. I had the following questions and would appreciate if one could kindly help me with them.
1. What are the best residency programs? What scores are required to get into them? I have done research/ audits. No publications yet but hope to have a couple before applying. I have presented 3 posters in national conferences.
2. I am interested in research combined with clinical work...What is the scope for research/clinical work and what is the average pay?
3. I am a British citizen. Do I need a special license to do my residency or work in California? (Got family there)
4. Is there anything like a general adult psychiatry research fellowship?
Thanks very much

Members don't see this ad.

1) The best program is the one you match at. Some believe national NIH funding for a department can correlate with quality of the program. It is highly debateable what is best, so apply widely, interview widely, and make a rank list for what is best for you.
2) Most programs require research while a resident. After residency you can find a plethora of research/clinical opportunities. Too vast to give an answer here.
3) You don't need a special license, just US residency training. Go here to get a better idea: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html In order to practice medicine in the US you only need a license. Realistically, you need a residency with board certification. Psychiatry is 4 years.
4) Yes there are research fellowships post residency. Numerous programs also integrate it into the residency if you know from day one you want to focus largely on research.

Good Luck.