LostInStudy's (LIS) Official Advice Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, here it is as promised. This isn't my 30+ post but it's something for the guys who PM asking about advice and such. This is eventually going to get replaced by my 30+ post but in the meantime this will have to do. These are all the posts that I think are pretty helpful. I've categorized these into General advice, Material advice, Practice advice, and Scheduling. Please read these then if you have any questions you can post them and I'll try to help as best I can.Please read this thread and limit ALL the questions regarding my MCAT advices in this thread. Only contact me if you have a personal question or a highly specific question that you are not comfortable to post because your MCAT is exceptionally low (e.g. low <= 25, personal/family sickness, and other info that you do not want to share on the internet). In all other cases, individualized questions should be made in separate threads for other members to help, the more opinions you get the better off you will be, I guarantee you that. Otherwise, I may or may not respond depending on my time situation. Anyway, I hope this helps and if you have any questions or comments or anything just post away. Also guys remember that this is just my opinion. What worked for me isn't going to necessarily work for you but I've done a lot of research on this site and spent a lot of time reading different study strategies so I can offer general advice about schedules too. This is just what worked for me and hopefully you guys can read this, the 30+ thread, SN2ed's advice + schedule, and BerkReviewTeach's advice and get a good idea for what you want to do. If anybody has any other advice please post or if you want my opinion on a certain idea or whatever it may be. As the most interesting man in the world would say "Stay thirsty my friends [for knowledge that is]."

Hopefully this will help you guys,

-LIS

General Advice:

Wow, I've been kind of nervous all day and told myself I'd keep myself busy and check at the end of the day. Even though I thought I did around my averages I was still nervous for some reason. So anyway, my score is too long awaited after having my date canceled once already.

PS: 15
VR: 11
BS: 15
W: Q

Now that I think about it, this is around about my averages. I'm just so happy to finally have this over with. I'll post more later when I have time. This is such a relief to have this off my back. Just some general advice, If you prep appropriately and have confidence in your prep you will get what you deserve.

Good luck all. I'm too sleepy right now.

-LIS

Yea, I think the best advice is to go over content review thoroughly the first time to make sure you understand and master everything and go back as needed according to your practice results.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

My argument has always been to do as much practice as you can without taking shortcuts. Me and another member on this forum named Mr. T had sort of a discussion about it a few months back whether a person should do the TBR O. Chem books or do TPR since their content is shorter. I basically said that you should cover TBR because you don't want to get stuck with a difficult O. Chem passage and want to make sure that you don't leave your BS score up to chance (hoping the more difficult concepts won't show up). I had a few difficult O. Chem passages on my MCAT so I definitely benefited from not taking shortcuts. By appropriate, I mean fully and thoroughly without any shortcuts. I've been reading the forums for quite a while and I'd say a good 70+% of people skim on their prep because of a lack of time or whatever other reason.

Also, when I said "you'll get the score you deserve" that's exactly what I meant. I took the MCAT before and voided because I didn't feel prepared enough. At that point I had done content review and a couple of practice tests. At that point I believe if I would have decided to score my test I would have gotten in the high 20's or low 30's. My content review wasn't that great, my VR skills sucked, and I hadn't taken many FLs so that is exactly what I deserved. After redoing my content review and doing all the practice problems I could get my hands on, I think I got the score I deserved. My score reflects the amount of work I put in and my understanding of the material. I think my September score would have reflected the same thing (not score but the score I deserved at that point in time).

You know in the very beginning I thought that only really smart people could score in the 35+ range but the more I practiced and studied the more I realized that it's possible with just hard work to get at least a 34 but more likely a 35 or 36. I've said this before and I'll say it again, a person with average college student intelligence can, with hard work only, get a score around 35 or 36 but most don't (< 3%) because most don't have the time, are too lazy, don't put the effort, etc. whatever the reason may be. The point is that very few people have the time I had to spend on the MCAT and even fewer do spend that amount of time. As far as amount hours go (~1600) and amount of FLs go (40), my preparation was in the top 1% and my score reflected that.

You're not the only one who says this but I'll just address it here. Yes there are people who bust their butts and can barely get over a 30 but these people are rare. Like I said, if you're an average college student then with hard work one should be able to get into the 35 range. Most people who do score in this range and decide to retake usually do significantly raise their score because the prepare better (or in my words appropriately) the second time around.

In summary what I'm saying is: Your score reflects your preparation.

Hope this clarifies or helps,

-LIS

For the last 2-4 weeks before your test you should be doing exactly what you will be doing on test day. Wake up the same time, eat the same time, take breaks the same time, do your studying/review the same time. It's just a habit thing, not so much a morning person thing because you could just go to sleep early and wake up early and that wouldn't really make a difference as far as being groggy or tired go, at least it didn't for me.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Take a deep breath whenever you get nervous and think about how long you've spent on your prep, your scores, all the hours you've put in. Then think about how you can do best in this test. For me the last part worked to best because I came up with a strategy on how to handle situations a week before hand. So for example, if I came across something difficult that I couldn't figure out right away I would move on, I wouldn't let myself get nervous or panic, I would move quickly, efficiently and carefully to allow myself some time to go back for the sciences. This may seem obvious but a lot of people abandon the simple principles once they get to the test center or when they start the test and see something that doesn't immediately click. By the time I got to my test center I had gone over my list of situations and how to respond about 10 times a day for 8 days. I had written them out and every time I got nervous thinking about the test I stopped and look over my list and really thought about everything on it in detail while trying to control my breathing and focus. It worked for me on test day so maybe it'll work for you. You'll see that soon you recognize yourself doing the bad habits on practice tests and correct them and by test day hopefully you'll be golden.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I got a 15 on both sciences but I don't think that it's indicative of the company as it is more so of the student. Yes, TBR does help a lot with the studying but it does in no way guarantee a good score. I'm sure there are people who've done terribly with TBR as there are people who have thrived with EK and Kaplan.

How far up you go is up to the student. Not necessarily his/her natural ability but more of how much work you're willing to put into this thing. Over and over again I see people skim on their review and sometimes it works out for them but a lot of times it doesn't and they're often confused because they "worked hard" but don't realize that they went into the exam with weaknesses that could be exploited.

As a general note, the test is too unpredictable to have any "high yield" topics. Master and know everything you're supposed to (AAMC outline) and you'll do great. If not then I guess you should get comfortable with blind luck helping you out on one of (if not the most) important aspects of your application.

Hope this helps and good luck (if you need it that is),

-LIS

Material Advice:

I did EK 1001 bio then TPR bio passages then TBR bio passages so for me they got progressively harder. As far as content goes, I think between TPRH and EK you have everything you need. I would spend my time reading TPRH and then read through EK as kind of a review. I actually ended up reading EK twice. The thing with EK is that it's short and dense. So while its short, you have to know EVERYTHING in the text, whereas in TPRH, it is longer but they spend time explaining concepts doing examples and asking questions and re-summarizing the info.

If you don't have access to TPR Science Workbook, then do both. Seriously practice drilling those concepts because its true that the test really only covers the basics but the test writers do a great job at pushing your understanding of them to the limit. The more times you see the concepts the better. I'll say it again just in case, the more time you see the concepts during your practice the better off you are.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I'm not really sure which is better because they served different purposes for me. TBR bio passages are hard but if you're good at analyzing passages then you can score fairly well on them and they help develop that skill. On the other hand, TPR were a mixture of testing content and analyzing passages and they have passages varying from really easy to pretty hard which is more like what you'll see on the AAMCs. I think what you should do is do the TPRH science workbook bio and do the TBR in phases. So do the first third and all bio from TPR and keep moving. If you have time you can come back and finish the rest of TBR. You could even do half of TBR and then all of TPR bio passages and come back later to TBR if you have time.

I've been telling people for months to get on TPRH bio. That thing is amazing. Yes it is a little detail oriented but it explains things from the ground up and it asks you questions in the text. It doesn't take THAT long to read, like I did about 12-15 pages an hour (I think most chapters averaged out into the 30-35 range). Plus it's engaging, not like TBR (so dull for me) or EK (which if you don't know everything already then it's just a list of facts).

I have to admit my science score is a bit of luck. On practices I was getting in the 13-14 range for both sections and on test day I got passages that suited topics that I was very familiar with. I was familiar with everything but some topics in organic I was a wiz at and those showed up. To me anything in the 38+ range is about the same. In the sciences once you get to the 13 range, you have a good shot at hitting the 15 if things can go your way.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

As long as we're talking about hours, I regularly hit 15 hours a day in the middle of my studying. Basically I did three 5 hour shifts to get used to concentrating for 5 hours straight. Of course I did break for 5-10 mins every 60-80 mins in those 5 hours.

Another piece of advice guys, if you're going to take short days then don't take them in the beginning or middle. Take them when you do FLs. FLs you can afford to get behind on because as legitboss said you can cut some extra ones out but if you get behind on content then you can get into a pickle really fast. So go through a subject hard (so if you don't rotate like I didn't then do a full subject) and then take a day to rest and re-energize your ambition, motivation, hatred, and will to beat this test. I personally used my days to catch up on chores and watch war/sci-fi movies. It's easy to tell yourself that "I deserve to take one day off" or "I'll catch up tomorrow" but don't get into the habit of it. Work hard and take a good rest after the war is over.

Oh MCAT, you were such an interesting romance. You left my life as suddenly as you came. I miss you sometimes...but then I remember how much work I put into us and am glad that such a selfish, time consuming, soul-eating, heartless woman is out of my life.

Good riddance you passive aggressive street walker,

-LIS

Practice Advice:

Nope, very lightly. I don't think when you're learning the material you should time yourself strictly and I think even BerkReviewTeach has said it a few times. Just learn and master the material first. Once your problem solving skills and knowledge develop speed picks up. This doesn't mean I sat there and spent 10-15 mins on problems. I would work through at my own pace and if I couldn't solve something, moved on and came back in the end. If I couldn't figure it out at the end, I just guessed. I hated flat out guessing so that fueled my need to tear apart questions and learn everything I could from them.

Basically I looked at the clock when I started and finished. If I spent less than 8-9 mins on a passage, good and if I didn't then I just kept mindful of that for next time and tried to figure out why I spent so long. That's about it. The rest just picks up with practice and as you acquire skill.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I used TPR heavily for content for Biology and Physics only (their 2 best content sections). For O. Chem content and G. Chem content I used TBR because they are simply the best, better than all the rest (like the song).

Here's my view on the whole do the passages one day and review them the next day thing: I wouldn't and didn't do it. Maybe for verbal but not for the sciences. The reason is that you have to treat the MCAT studying as two completely different phases. The first is where you learn and master the necessary material (content review) and the second is where you do everything else (learn to speed up more, learn to pace yourself, stamina, test taking strategies, etc) or basically the little things. With that in mind, you need to do your passages and practice the same day or within a day of your lecture review to make sure you've mastered it and hammered it in. Here's what I did as far as material since so many people seem to ask, I started with reading the lecture, then EK 1001 problems (getting the basics and subtleties down), then I did the TPR science workbook problems for that topic, then I did TBR phase I passages. I did that everyday during content review for about a month and a half. I've posted the phases for TBR passages in the Berkeley review discussion thread. I would then do all the phase II passages at the end of the week.

I would do the EK Bio 1001 questions first (because they're not TRULY passage based) and then I did the TPR bio passages, which were amazing by the way. Also I would encourage anyone else to respond, my way was an obvious yet unorthodox way to study for the MCAT and OP should get as many different opinions as possible to see what could work for you. My way worked for me, but I'm certain it won't work for everyone else. You have to evaluate what kind of student you are, what you know and don't know, and what you need. I think the self evaluation is the hardest part of it all. After you have the figured out, put on your blinders and charge full steam ahead.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Yea agree with the above [about careless mistakes], it also goes away with more practice. After you've been slapped around, tripped, and laughed at a few times (usually 3 or 4 times) by those questions then you learn it and it becomes habit. If you forget after those times then a little voice inside your head says "nooo read the question/answer/calculation/passage again carefully." Kind of like mini-me from Austin Powers.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Two things that helped me. I kept an excel spreadsheet with everything in it (FL scores, verbal scores, practice scores, hours, etc.) each separated by subject and the company I used. I could go in and see trends regarding hours studied, how my scores were going, which specific subjects I struggle with, basically everything I wanted to see a trend in. It helps color coding by scaled scores or percentages too and helps you see it quicker kind of like of Vihsadas did it. I think self analysis is crucial, especially when you get to the 35+ range where single questions start counting more. The spreadsheet helped me seek out and eliminate my weaknesses.

The second thing was that I did all my practice problems in a separate 5 subject notebook and split them up as all O chem, all Physics, all Bio, all Chem, all verbal practice problems and notes I made on particular subjects as I did those problems. For example, I saw on my spreadsheet that electrostatics was my worst section, when I went back I had notes for all the problems I had gotten wrong or guessed on from all the different materials I did. I also wrote down intricacies for each subject that I thought I would forgot later on so that when I came back I could have a quick read over and remember all that again.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Doing one passage at a time then reviewing it is what I did for all of content review and it worked out excellently for me. First you master the content then you master the timing. Those are two separate skills that are hard to master at the same time.

It's like when you learn to throw a baseball, you learn to throw the ball properly and with accuracy first and then you work on adding power and speed, you don't just grab the ball and work on throwing it hard and accurately at the same time. You learn the mechanics and once you've mastered them you work on the power and speed. No use in finishing on time if you still get a lot wrong.

Maybe this helps,
-LIS

For practice, yes. But the TPR is still an amazing resource that I think people shouldn't choose either one or the other but use both to compliment each other. TBR has only hard passages which can be good and bad because although it does prepare you for the hard stuff, that's not exactly how the test is. TPR does a better job at giving you the spectrum that you'll see on AAMCS and on the real thing. Not all of your passages are going to be TBR hard. A few will but some will be easy and some will be in the middle and that's exactly what TPR has.

Also as far as Bio goes: TPR>>EK 1001 Bio>TBR for passages. I think they all are used for different purposes. TPR tests content and passage comprehension and EK Bio 1001 tests mostly content and not much passage comprehension, TBR was sort of weird. They have passage comprehension but some questions are just sort of weird as hell in that it's not mentioned in the passage and they expect you to know minute details that aren't important. Detail wise, EK 1001 covers everything as far as facts you need to know. TBR is still decent practice though. If you have time do all 3 but if not stick with the top 2. That's just my personal suggestion though.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Guys, don't be afraid to get questions wrong. You have to treat it like a learning opportunity and not a criticism. In the beginning you might be getting hammered by the passages and doing bad. A few weeks later you're doing slightly better or the same. A couple months later you rarely ever get any wrong. I'm a true and honest believer that if you practice and get hammered enough and get questions wrong while reviewing thoroughly then eventually you'll master the material. I know it sounds scary but you can seriously only make the same mistake 5 or 6 times before you never make that mistake again. That's why you practice, so you make it in practice and not the real thing.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I'm not saying this to be rude or harsh but just to be honest with you so that you can improve, but if you got a score lower than 27 then that means that you're majorly lacking in the fundamentals. Go back to the drawing board and start over because you can't get any worse. Pick a prep company you're comfortable with (TPR hyperlearning is an excellent start) and read the books in each section carefully and do as much practice problems as you can get your hands on. That means EK 1001 books, TPR science workbook, and TBR sciences at the least. Don't worry about getting a ton of questions wrong, because I missed a lot but focus on learning the material and perfecting your understanding of it. I never cared about getting a question wrong during content review, I just cared about understanding the concepts and making sure I knew exactly why I got the question wrong and what I could do to get it right. Only worry about scores during your FLs. Taking the above approach should get you at least a 10 or 11 on each section or even higher depending on how much effort you can put into your prep. This test is all about training. You train to get good at answering questions about the sciences. Some people do well without much studying because they got that training throughout their education, other people have to make up for not having that training (like me) by practicing a crap load of problems until you are at that level. You should be asking yourself the same questions for every question you're not 100% sure about or you don't get right which are: why did I get the question wrong?, what didn't I understand?, what is my current understanding of the subject?, what is the explanation trying to tell me?, starting from the basics how should I have thought about this to get the question right?, did I get the question wrong because I didn't understand it because it was poorly worded or I didn't concentrate? Did I get it wrong because I forgot something I should have known? and on and on.

Sorry this seems jumbled and unorganized but that's all I have time for right now.

Hope this helps,

-LIS
Personally, I think the best prep is through practice. I practiced my understanding of the material by doing a bunch of practice problems during content review with EK 1001 books, TPR Science workbook, and TBR books and a little kaplan stuff. Then I practiced combining the different concepts in a section and pulling out information quickly by practicing with FLs. When I took FLs, my knowledge base was solid, it was just that I had to get quicker at pulling it out and remembering equations and facts. Practice problems and FLs each serve a different purpose and I think each is essential for doing well on this test.

Hope this helps,

-LIS
I think first you have to look at how comfortable you are with the material. Personally, when I started FLs, I was extremely comfortable with the material because I had done all the EK 1001 books, TPR science workbook, online kaplan stuff, and TBR Phase I and II passages. Now, not everyone needs to do that but that's what I needed personally to feel comfortable. Once you feel comfortable you can move on to FLs. When you do FLs though, you need to really tear them apart. For me the motivation came from "well okay I made mistakes, so what do I need to fix and how do I do it" It irritated the heck out of me when I got a question wrong or even if I got one right but for the wrong reasons because I did the content so why didn't I get it right. The first thing is just to realize why you got the question right or wrong (was there something in the passage you missed, was there something you misread, did you just skim over some answers, did you not use POE, etc). Then the why behind it and that's when you need to dive into your prep books. Don't read the whole chapters, that's just not time efficient. Just read the parts that are relevant to your mistake. Now you have to be honest and ask yourself if you truly understand it. For me if it was something more than a simple calculation mistake then I would do a few problems just to help my conceptual understanding.

Also, I think THE BEST way to review any of the questions is to look at the questions you get wrong and try to do them again without looking at the explanation. Try to get them right on your second chance. So all you know is that you got the question wrong and you need to figure out what the answer is. If I got it wrong the second try to then that meant I really needed to go back and do some review on the material. Work on the question with your prep material and your notes and try to figure out the solution before you look at the explanation. Once you've done that and read the explanation, try to find another path to the solution (Was there a faster way, was there a different conceptual approach, etc). So I always tried to find two ways to do it. Usually there's one way that is fast and efficient (which is what you want to do during the test) and there is a longer drawn out way that uses the basics concepts to get to the solution (which you want to use on questions that are harder and you're not sure about). This way, you always have two ways of getting an answer so it'll be rare when you come across a problem that you can't solve one way or the other. So for example, in PS you can do a question by dimensional analysis or looking at units or degrees of magnitude of the answers or you can use some of the equations related to the concepts. I think TBR does a pretty good job or showing you this with their passages and explanations so definitely use those and spend time with them and not just gloss over the explanations. After I did each set of questions from practice I could tell you exactly what types of questions I got wrong and why. That's important because if you keep a track of those (written or mental) then you see patterns and know exactly which areas to target to improve.

So I hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions let me know,

-LIS
To start off, I did do all those materials and them some with 40 FLs outside of those practice passages and questions. It's weird but I felt I had to do everything solely due to confidence because I felt like if I did all the material there was NOTHING else I could have done. But with your time (unless you're willing to postpone) I don't think you can finish everything...well you might since you don't have as many FLs to do.

What I did was I would read the chapter for whichever book I chose, then do the EK 1001 problems, then the TPR science workbook problems, and then the TBR passages.

As far as bio goes, I would say that if you feel very confident with bio then EK bio is fine but if not then just spend the time with TPRH bio because it isn't THAT long (trust me it looks long but its a fast read so even though it might be twice as long as EK, it reads twice as fast too). I think for bio both were necessary. You first need the necessary facts for bio to understand the concepts then you need to practice passages and not only solidify those facts but learn how to analyze and parse through passages.

As far as study habits ago, I just kept consistent and didn't let myself take more than a day off per week or week and a half. Work hard everyday on accomplishing set goals and don't let yourself waste the time. Get it done and kill it the first time. Immerse yourself in it. I started off with the attitude of I have to put in a lot of work to do well and changed to, man I've put in quite a lot of hours and it would be a waste to slack off now no matter how tired or how much is left, to i put in so much work it would all be ruined if i don't close this out strongly in the end. The hardest thing for me each day was getting started. Once I got started I was gone. After I finished my food I got up put up the dishes and didn't let myself touch my computer and make myself pick up my book instead and start reading. I did the same with breaks, those were the hardest to get restarted from.

If you have any more questions let me know,

-LIS
[For Organic Chemistry] No, don't memorize. Just look at the general trends of each reactions. Memorizing is worthless in my opinion. After you practice the trends are easy to see as to where the electrons go. That's all that organic is, electrons moving around. Learn the concepts and trends and in my opinion this can only be successfully done by lots of practice.

Hope this helps,

-LIS
A typical day was I would wake up around 8 or 9, then eat breakfast while either reading the forums or watching the news. That took me about an hour sometimes less, never more though. I did study everyday but I took breaks as needed. So I didn't do the once a week thing more like half a day a week or a full day off every two weeks because that's what worked for me. I don't tire easily and can go for long stretches without burning out. Then I would do three 5 hour sessions with breaks every hour or so. It really got be used to the stamina needed to take this test. My breaks were usually 5-10 mins each hour and then after the 5 hours I would eat and do errands for an hour or so, until I felt like working again. FL days varied depending on how I did and how much I got done the previous day but usually 1-3 days. I have about 2 days between FLs in the end to give myself sometime to rest up before the test.

-LIS
Do the EK 1001 series first. Go through all four books. It took me about 6 days to do them. They test on the very basic aspects of the sciences and they will get your fundamentals down. No need to waste time re-reviewing. Do like 20-30 questions and then go back and review them. If you get something wrong, don't turn to the explanations (they suck anyway) and look up and review that material from your TBR books. So go through all 4 subjects in EK 1001.

Going through and eliminating all of your weaknesses will probably take anywhere from 4 days (if you work on them full time) to 10 maybe.

Then you are ready for the more advanced passages. If you get the TPR Science Workbook, then go through that whole thing which will probably take you a week or week and a half doing it full time. Again, if you get something wrong then go back and try to figure it out on your own without looking up the answer explanation and if you can't figure it out then use your TBR or TPR content material.

Then lastly, go through and do all the TBR Phase I passages.

Then you can start FLs and finish the rest of the Phases of TBR as you go along.

Basically that's what I did but I also had the Kaplan online course material. But what you have, if you include TPR, is DEFINITELY more than enough. Anyway, doing it that way worked out for me as far as practice AAMC FL scores go.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I really hope this doesn't get me even more PMs. This was designed to lower my PM count so if you have a question then post here first unless it's something you're not comfortable posting on the thread then I guess you can PM me.

-LIS

For each of the four subjects (science), can you condense into what material you need? I gather you really like the TPRH for bio, and TBR for ochem?

Members don't see this ad :)
For each of the four subjects (science), can you condense into what material you need? I gather you really like the TPRH for bio, and TBR for ochem?
Okay, so I can't technically say what you need or don't need because everybody has their own unique background but I can tell you guys what I used and what I thought. Also be mindful that content and practice are different. Some books have good practice but bad content or vice versa, I've bolded it just in case.

Physics: TPR Hyperlearning and TBR Physics for content (reading and learning it). I read both of them which doesn't take that long because once you read TPR you can basically skim TBR for tips/shortcuts, all in all though I thought that after the first chapter TBR content sucked especially for electricity and circuits. For practice I did EK 1001 Physics, TPR Science Workbook, and TBR passages

G. Chem: TBR G. Chem is a wonderful book. Yes, it is a bit long but the extra time is worth it to solidify the concepts. TBR has everything content-wise you could need. If you ever have a question as to whether to memorize something or not check out the AAMC outlines. For practice I used EK 1001 Chem (especially great), TPR Science Workbook, and TBR Passages

Organic: TBR O. Chem for content. This is the best book they have and in my opinion one of the best MCAT books on the market period. Yes, they get into a bit of detail but don't memorize anything unless they specifically tell you to or if you're getting questions wrong in passages. For practice I used EK 1001 Organic (pretty good actually and I went through it very quickly), TPR Science Workbook, TBR passages.

Bio: I used a combination here of TPR Hyperlearning Biology and EK Biology for content. It worked great for me and was what I needed. TPR explains things to you like you know nothing and they don't really give you extraneous info like TBR LOVES to for bio. For practice I did TBR Bio passages, EK 1001 Bio, and TPR Science Workbook.

The order I give of the practice goes from my rankings of overall quality in increasing order, for example in physics it goes TBR>TPR>EK. That doesn't mean one is bad or good it's just my opinion on the usefulness. For practice, I think each set served it's own purpose. EK 1001 were good for building a general base knowledge and getting all the subtleties of the sciences down. TPR Science Workbook was great at giving you passages of varying difficult and testing your passage comprehension and understanding of content. TBR was good at testing how well you knew the content and passage comprehension skills. TBR has a lot of really hard passages so for PS and organic, that's why they rank #1 for practice.

Even though there's no objective way to rank content because it depends on the student and what clicks for him/her I'm going to give my advice anyway. I'm a big fan of the TPR Hyperlearning content books because I think they teach everything to you from the ground up and assume you know nothing (unlike EK). They hold your hand through the material and give plenty of great in-book questions. However, for both Chemistry subjects TBR is best, in my opinion.

-LIS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Argh, for once I hope you're completely and totally wrong. But yea, I think this will either be a huge help or a complete failure (no gray area) on my part to accomplish any of my goals with this thread.

-LIS

Nice post - not because of useful advices provided by you, but also the important point that everyone is different. Based on what I've read, some people who scored 38+ stressed to study the way that you learn the best.

And really... I think that's important, and I hope people can realize that. It seems like there are always those who read someone's schedule and seek approval for others (for instance, asking the sufficiency of EK books for review or passages...) without really thinking, "What plan will work for me?" (since everyone is different and learns differently)

But, realistically, will that happen? Not often. So, what will likely happen? LIS receiving more PMs - but let's hope that you can now say, "Refer to my study guide. Thanks!" instead of writing out super long messages in your busy schedule. :)

Physics: TPR Hyperlearning and TBR Physics for content. I read both of them which doesn't take that long because once you read TPR you can basically skim TBR for tips/shortcuts, all in all though I thought that after the first chapter TBR content sucked especially for electricity and circuits. For practice I did EK 1001 Physics, TPR Science Workbook, and TBR passages

The order I give of the practice goes from my rankings of overall quality in increasing order, for example in physics it goes TBR>TPR>EK. That doesn't mean one is bad or good it's just my opinion on the usefulness. For practice, I think each set served it's own purpose. EK 1001 were good for building a general base knowledge and getting all the subtleties of the sciences down. TPR Science Workbook was great at giving you passages of varying difficult and testing your passage comprehension and understanding of content. TBR was good at testing how well you knew the content and passage comprehension skills. TBR has a lot of really hard passages so for PS and organic, that's why they rank #1 for practice.

-LIS

I'm a bit confused here...
Was the last statement (TBR>TPR Phys) just a made-up example, or did you actually think TBR was better (since you said some of the content sucked).

Nice post - not because of useful advices provided by you, but also the important point that everyone is different. Based on what I've read, some people who scored 38+ stressed to study the way that you learn the best.

And really... I think that's important, and I hope people can realize that. It seems like there are always those who read someone's schedule and seek approval for others (for instance, asking the sufficiency of EK books for review or passages...) without really thinking, "What plan will work for me?" (since everyone is different and learns differently)

Yea, I'm really really trying to emphasize that. I researched and looked at everything from a very unique perspective, from the perspective of the type of student I was. I'm a hard working student who depends on that rather than "natural ability." I don't know what my natural ability is but I don't want to find out either because I can just work hard and guarantee myself results. Other people like Ksmi, bleargh, and erskine are naturally smart so they probably don't need to work as hard because they rely on their brains and they know the type of students they are and that works for them. Figure out what type of person you are and then do your own research/look/ask for advice from that perspective.

But, realistically, will that happen? Not often. So, what will likely happen? LIS receiving more PMs - but let's hope that you can now say, "Refer to my study guide. Thanks!" instead of writing out super long messages in your busy schedule. :)

Here's to hoping buddy. :laugh:You and SN2ed need to stop spreading all these bad vibes on my thread:laugh:. Hopefully I can replace this with my 30+ post before it gets too out of hand. :idea:But yea, I can always deflect to here now.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused here...
Was the last statement (TBR>TPR Phys) just a made-up example, or did you actually think TBR was better (since you said some of the content sucked).
Okay, so there's a huge difference between Content and practice. TBR has great practice but sucky content, in my opinion. By content I mean like the reading. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll clear that up.

-LIS

Last edited:
Okay, so there's a huge difference between Content and practice. TBR has great practice but sucky content. By content I mean like the reading. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll clear that up.

-LIS

Got it.
So basically read TPR, do TBR
Much like SN2ed's read EK bio, do TBR bio passages
Thanks again

Got it.
Thanks again
Yea, sort of but TBR has enough useful tips that it's worth skimming through real quick. Flip through every page of TBR at least just to make sure you're okay with it and do the in chapter questions, those are very helpful for tips and such.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Members don't see this ad :)
No....he's my son. Even though we agree on a bunch of things, I also disagree on quite a few things with him also (like TBR Bio, other timing stuff mentioned above). It's just differences in opinion and they've all worked for somebody, we just try to present them so maybe it'll click for you.

-LIS

Last edited:
I really hope this doesn't get me even more PMs. This was designed to lower my PM count so if you have a question then post here first unless it's something you're not comfortable posting on the thread then I guess you can PM me.

-LIS
the key is to be sardonic enough so only a self-selecting few contact you.

i do have to disagree on there being no "high yield" topic, but we can debate this at another time.

Well, speaking from an experience as someone who moderated in another forum for about 6 years, the best thing to do is to either make it clear on when people are allowed to PM you. Otherwise, some people will just see that you are a well-respected member and throw questions at you - without reading anything you posted (trust me... it happens all the time :sleep:) - or not using Search engine (people never use this...once in a great while).

Anyway, in the first post here:

LostInStudy said:
If it's something you don't want posted THEN you can PM me but it helps to have the questions posted here since I get so many PMs of the same questions.

Change to (just a suggestion):

LostInStudy said:
Please read this thread and limit ALL the questions regarding my MCAT advices in this thread. Only contact me if you have a personal question that you are not comfortable to post because your MCAT is exceptionally low (e.g. low <= 25, personal/family sickness, and other info that you do not want to share in internet). In all other cases, individualized questions should be made in separate threads for other members to help. If, however, you ignore this, I may or may not respond depending on my time and mood.

Just trying to save your time so you are not sitting in front of computer saving every new SDN-er. You, SN2ed, and others are very dedicated - I rarely have enough patience to provide detailed responses like you do (I eventually just tell people to use search button).

Got it.
Thanks again

No, I agree that TPRH is great for content review in all subjects. The science workbook is also very good, but it needs more practice passages and less discretes.

the key is to be sardonic enough so only a self-selecting few contact you.

i do have to disagree on there being no "high yield" topic, but we can debate this at another time.

That high yield thing was slightly out of context but I know you'll agree with the general advice that it's better to know everything well rather than know one thing extremely well and lacking in other areas. Like all you out there who try to skim on orgo. Either way that high yield thing was more for bio than anything else. Nice to see you here. I don't have quite the humor you do (to cover up that mean streak) so I don't know how I would pull that off, even though I was one of those self-selecting few.

-LIS

Last edited:
Well, speaking from an experience as someone who moderated in another forum for about 6 years, the best thing to do is to either make it clear on when people are allowed to PM you. Otherwise, some people will just see that you are a well-respected member and throw questions at you - without reading anything you posted (trust me... it happens all the time :sleep:) - or not using Search engine (people never use this...once in a great while).

Anyway, in the first post here:

Change to (just a suggestion):

Just trying to save your time so you are not sitting in front of computer saving every new SDN-er. You, SN2ed, and others are very dedicated - I rarely have enough patience to provide detailed responses like you do (I eventually just tell people to use search button).

Good idea, changing now. I used to be all like "use the search function" but once someone got all smart ass about it and said that they did and couldn't find anything so I searched and it took me literally 2 mins to find their long list of answers. Now, I've learned that people don't search and I need to just post it so hopefully many people get see it an once.

Thanks,

-LIS

Last edited:
That high yield thing was slightly out of context but I know you'll agree with the general advice that it's better to know everything well rather than know one thing extremely well and lacking in other areas. Like all you out there who try to skim on orgo. Either way that high yield thing was more for bio than anything else. Nice to see you here. I don't have quite the humor you do (to cover up that mean streak) so I don't know how I would pull that off, even though I was one of those self-selecting few.

-LIS
probably for the best anyway, it's good to have gentler guides through the mcat maze for the wanderers. more professional at any rate.

gotcha on the high yield thing.

I still like most of your posts, they're witty little one liners. The funniest was the bel air you did the other day but then I was kind of mad/laughing at the same time because I wasted time but it was funny as hell anyway.

-LIS

Glad I could help!

And oh... really good advice for everyone trying to utilize search function. If you go to Google, type your question (limit to couple of words or a phrase) and add word "sdn," you can get the top searches to come from this forum. :cool:

I still like most of your posts, they're witty little one liners. The funniest was the bel air you did the other day but then I was kind of mad/laughing at the same time because I wasted time but it was funny as hell anyway.

-LIS
:laugh: glad you enjoyed it, once in a while i do like to dust off the keyboard and actually type out a full post

Yea, I like the MCAT forum but nothing funny ever happens here. PA always has something funny like the guy who beat his gf twice and said she deserved it. That was the funniest one in a lonnnnggggggg while.

-LIS

I just want to thank LostInStudy again for the effort he puts in to help the rest of us. This selflessness exemplifies the exact type of person medical schools across North America seek. Just extrapolating from what I have seen, you will make a great physician.

I think people have to keep in prospective that folks like SN2ed and LostInStudy are people the rest of us want to emulate in some way; whether this be in dedication, organization, kindness or whatever. Folks are interested in the methodology and mentality that users like LIS have employed in their preparations and in their life at large. Bearing this in mind, it shouldn't be too surprising that these kind of users receive a lot of PMs. In my view, this should be rather flattering.

The thing I really appreciate about LIS is that despite receiving countless PMs, he still goes out of his way to help people. Instead of being pissed off and treating the users who do send the messages as pests, he does his utmost to help his fellow man out.

Thank you.

If SN2ed is Socrates, then LIS is Plato.

I think SN2ed really laid the foundation for all the MCAT scheduling and he definitely is the forefather of this forum in a sense (sorry everyone else).

I tend to like LIS's style a bit better and after doing a lot of research, I agree with him on more than I do SN2ed.

I'm taking the MCAT in July. We'll see how I do. Then maybe I will become Aristotle.

Good luck everyone. As LIS fills out this thread, I think it can be the best MCAT advice thread on SDN.

I think LIS's only downfall is sometimes he recommends to do too much stuff, as some of us prep in 6-8 weeks or less we need a more condensed approach.

Last edited:
This is great MCAT advice and among (if not) the best on SDN.

My only criticism LIS is that this advice could be better organized. I know you are in application season and working on that, but in the next 60-90 I'm sure this can be structured a bit better.

Obviously again, even taking the time to help is very generous and thoughtful. So I'm just looking at this objectively. I think you're a saint.

I'm assuming LIS didn't use NOVA for physics.
I have all three sets (TBR, TPR, NOVA) for physics.
For a deeper understanding (similar to TPR BIO) which book(s) would you guys suggest?
I have enough time to review two books for this section, but not three...
thanks in advance

I just want to thank LostInStudy again for the effort he puts in to help the rest of us. This selflessness exemplifies the exact type of person medical schools across North America seek. Just extrapolating from what I have seen, you will make a great physician.

I think people have to keep in prospective that folks like SN2ed and LostInStudy are people the rest of us want to emulate in some way; whether this be in dedication, organization, kindness or whatever. Folks are interested in the methodology and mentality that users like LIS have employed in their preparations and in their life at large. Bearing this in mind, it shouldn't be too surprising that these kind of users receive a lot of PMs. In my view, this should be rather flattering.

The thing I really appreciate about LIS is that despite receiving countless PMs, he still goes out of his way to help people. Instead of being pissed off and treating the users who do send the messages as pests, he does his utmost to help his fellow man out.

Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words. Even though I don't mind PMs, I like posting on the threads a lot better and seeing other peoples opinions. Answering 10 PMs that ask the same thing that can be found somewhat easily takes away time from that so even though it is flattering, it takes away from what I really want to do.

If SN2ed is Socrates, then LIS is Plato.

I think SN2ed really laid the foundation for all the MCAT scheduling and he definitely is the forefather of this forum in a sense (sorry everyone else).

I tend to like LIS's style a bit better and after doing a lot of research, I agree with him on more than I do SN2ed.

I'm taking the MCAT in July. We'll see how I do. Then maybe I will become Aristotle.

Good luck everyone. As LIS fills out this thread, I think it can be the best MCAT advice thread on SDN.

I think LIS's only downfall is sometimes he recommends to do too much stuff, as some of us prep in 6-8 weeks or less we need a more condensed approach.

If SN2ed is Socrates then QofQuimica is like mother nature. She started all this man and has made it into the place it is today. The whole MCAT study thing was her idea and I think guys like SN2ed, Vihsadas, and me just try to follow that.

Yea, like I said my advice is from a unique perspective and it's hard work over an adequate amount of time. Sometimes I get the MJ complex, which is basically if I can do it then you should be able to too, but I certainly realize that not everyone needs that kind of prep. Guys like Erskine and Pick8 are much better at those shorter schedules than me.

This is great MCAT advice and among (if not) the best on SDN.

My only criticism LIS is that this advice could be better organized. I know you are in application season and working on that, but in the next 60-90 I'm sure this can be structured a bit better.

Obviously again, even taking the time to help is very generous and thoughtful. So I'm just looking at this objectively. I think you're a saint.

Yea, I tried organizing but time/effort on my part just failed. It took me hours to look through all of my posts and by that time I was just too tired/hungry. I'll try organizing these in the next few weeks.

Thanks guys,

-LIS

I'm assuming LIS didn't use NOVA for physics.
I have all three sets (TBR, TPR, NOVA) for physics.
For a deeper understanding (similar to TPR BIO) which book(s) would you guys suggest?
I have enough time to review two books for this section, but not three...
thanks in advance
I didn't use nova because it just got too many mixed reviews for me the justify buying it whereas TPR got few but all good reviews, and TBR always got great reviews for their passages at least. I really don't see why the TPR and TBR combo couldn't work for just about everyone but to each his own I suppose. Nova is very polarizing though, some people really really love how simple it is and others just can't click with it, there's really no middle ground with it. Also, I don't think I can remember anyone ever using Nova solely, they usually supplement. Also, Physics was my weak subject so I didn't have a strong background or anything with physics.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Even though I don't mind PMs, I like posting on the threads a lot better and seeing other peoples opinions. Answering 10 PMs that ask the same thing that can be found somewhat easily takes away time from that so even though it is flattering, it takes away from what I really want to do.

probably best if you ask people not to PM you, just reply to them:

I would love to answer your MCAT question, could you please post this in my thread entitled "LIS Advice thread".

If SN2ed is Socrates then QofQuimica is like mother nature. She started all this man and has made it into the place it is today. The whole MCAT study thing was her idea and I think guys like SN2ed, Vihsadas, and me just try to follow that.

Yea, like I said my advice is from a unique perspective and it's hard work over an adequate amount of time. Sometimes I get the MJ complex, which is basically if I can do it then you should be able to too, but I certainly realize that not everyone needs that kind of prep. Guys like Erskine and Pick8 are much better at those shorter schedules than me.

I think your ideas just can be molded to a shorter prep. They are still your ideas originally.

Yea, I tried organizing but time/effort on my part just failed. It took me hours to look through all of my posts and by that time I was just too tired/hungry. I'll try organizing these in the next few weeks.

Thanks guys,

-LIS
I want to make sure I communicate my idea clearly, I think you have gone way out of your way and your time and effort is hugely appreciated.

On top of that, the organization can improve later when you have more time. Like sometime in the next 3 or 4 months. Just because I think it can get better doesn't mean it isn't already great.

Here is an actual prep question i wanted to ask you.

I have 5 weeks remaining as of now. I have my schedule like this:

Phase I Content/Passages
3 weeks (BR and TPR)

Phase II FLs
2.5 weeks around 15 FLs

I have no problem keeping this pace, as I know how many passages I can do and review in a day. My question is, do you think it is bad for me to backload my FLs or is spreading them out better?

How did you approach FLs? Were they done after all passages were complete or in between?

Yea, you're using a similar method to mine with the phases. Honestly, that's a personal decision. Some people can keep up with the 1 FL per day and review while others can't. I'd say if you're getting 7+ solids hours in right now then you could probably handle it but it's up to you and if you can't then don't be afraid to postpone for 2 weeks to a month, trust me when you get the score you want it'll be worth it.

I approached FLs by spreading them out. I had at least a day in between to work on weaker areas/reviewing everything very thoroughly. Usually I did 2-3 days off in between AAMCs. I saved a tiny bit of material so I could work on my weak areas and wouldn't get too rusty. I had done a majority (>90%) of my passages by then though. I used a lot of practice the learn and master the material. The rest was just getting all the other things down. I think your best indication will be your AAMC FL scores. If they're at or around where you want going in then you'll be okay, but if not then postpone, although 2.5 weeks is pretty close to the deadline. Again like I said, it's up to you to see if you can handle it or not but maybe take 2 AAMC tests like 3 and 4 as your first 2 tests and see how those go so you'll have time to decide what you want to do.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Last edited:
I feel slightly stalkerish for having already read most of your posts on this thread :rolleyes:

Awesome job. Like Sn2ed's schedule, I'm sure this will help a lot of others out with coming up with a study plan.

Hey LostInStudy thanks for the post it really helps!!

I was just wondering about how many days did you study?? You said you did about 1600 hours, right??

Also what was your typical week schedule like? Did you follow SN2ed's schedule and do one day of re-reading chapters and one day of the second set of practice problems after doing all the content days?

Thanks so much!!

Great post. I think once again the main theme is that if you want to do very well on the MCAT, you must use more than one study material. Vihsadas used Kaplan as one of his study materials rather than the more positively reviewed companies on SDN, but he still broke a 40. Therefore, not surprisingly, study method and thoroughness comes as #1 followed by the prep company used.

I had a question about the FLs. You said that you did 40. Nine of them were likely from AMCAS. What about the remaining 31? Which ones, if any, did you use more as practice material/discrete rather than strictly timed FLs? And finally I'd be interested to know what you think about the quality of the different FLs as compared to the real test and/or as a good test to inculcate important study concepts.

Congratulations on the test. Double 15 in sciences is great. A few more points on the verbal section and you'd be close to perfect for the entire test. A testament to the usefulness of this subforum.

P.S.: I have been thinking that we really need a 12+ Verbal thread here as well given how intractable and undefinable that section is. I don't think I have ever seen a VR score of 14 or above on SDN. That section is probably the reason why there are almost no perfect MCAT scores. The curve is very unforgiving as well - you can miss a single question and forget a perfect score.

We have yet to see a good, consistent approach to the verbal section. Maybe if we gather enough 12+ advice in one place, eventually some trends will become apparent.

Hey LostInStudy thanks for the post it really helps!!

I was just wondering about how many days did you study?? You said you did about 1600 hours, right??

Wow, way too many days. I went for as long as I could. Probably pretty close to 6.5 months. Everyday. Most people don't need that time and that's including when I first started when I voided. I would go volunteer or work and come home and work probably about 4-6 hours. That was just at the beginning. Towards the last 2-3 months I took time away from everything and went about 15 hours a day (crazy I know).

Also what was your typical week schedule like? Did you follow SN2ed's schedule and do one day of re-reading chapters and one day of the second set of practice problems after doing all the content days?

Thanks so much!!

I had already done all my research on what to do before SN2ed posted his schedule. It's a good schedule but by that time I had learned what I wanted to do, what kind of student I was, and what I thought would work for me. The weeks were all in a cycle and a typical work day was that I would do a section in one of the books I decided to review, then I would do EK 1001 problems, then I would do TPR Science Workbook passages, then I would do TBR phase I passages. At the end of the week I did all the Phase II passages. That was my basic schedule for about 3 months. I never re-read chapters as I saw no personal use for it. It helps some people but doesn't help others and I was in the latter. I just didn't want to spend time reading more but wanted to spend time practicing more. When I needed to though I did flip back to my books though, so I didn't completely ignore them I just had no set day or plan of re-reading. I did it only when I felt it was necessary for very specific topics.

Hope that helps you,

-LIS

Great post. I think once again the main theme is that if you want to do very well on the MCAT, you must use more than one study material. Vihsadas used Kaplan as one of his study materials rather than the more positively reviewed companies on SDN, but he still broke a 40. Therefore, not surprisingly, study method and thoroughness comes as #1 followed by the prep company used.

Yea, finding what works for you is the important part. What worked for him didn't for me but I still picked up a lot from him as far as reviewing and how to attack this test goes. I picked things from here and there and put them into one strategy and went full speed ahead.

I had a question about the FLs. You said that you did 40. Nine of them were likely from AMCAS. What about the remaining 31? Which ones, if any, did you use more as practice material/discrete rather than strictly timed FLs? And finally I'd be interested to know what you think about the quality of the different FLs as compared to the real test and/or as a good test to inculcate important study concepts.

Congratulations on the test. Double 15 in sciences is great. A few more points on the verbal section and you'd be close to perfect for the entire test. A testament to the usefulness of this subforum.

So I did 8 AAMCs, 11 Kaplan, 10 GS, 4 TPR, and 7 TBR. I also did the passages in the AAMC Official guide which were approximately a bit more than a FL. I didn't really do the verbal for GS because I never heard great things about it. The TPR tests were old that came with my TPR set in a book. They had good sciences but I didn't really like the verbal so I didn't do any after the first one. The rest I did as normal FLs. Obviously I think the AAMCs were the best. The Kaplans were good but some of the later ones after 6 weren't too great (with maybe the exception of 9). They got crazy in a weird (read: not good) way. I liked the TBR tests, they had pretty great science sections in my opinion and their verbal wasn't anything special but it wasn't terrible either. The only thing that sort of annoyed me was consistency not only from test to test but passage to passage. However, I think that feeling was good because it was similar to what I felt during the real thing. The GS had good sciences but not amazing. My personal ranking would be AAMC>>TBR>Kaplan (1-7ish)>GS>TPR. GS and TPR weren't bad, they just didn't click with me as much as the others did. I know not everyone can get Kaplan, that's why I think GS would be a nice replacement for them.

I don't think I could have gotten any higher on VR. That's why I don't give VR advice too much. My average was closer to a 10 and I got the test on a decent day and got an 11.

As for the sciences, I think once you're over 13 you're there. It's hard to fine tune that last piece and I think I just got lucky because I got topics I was great at.

P.S.: I have been thinking that we really need a 12+ Verbal thread here as well given how intractable and undefinable that section is. I don't think I have ever seen a VR score of 14 or above on SDN. That section is probably the reason why there are almost no perfect MCAT scores. The curve is very unforgiving as well - you can miss a single question and forget a perfect score.

We have yet to see a good, consistent approach to the verbal section. Maybe if we gather enough 12+ advice in one place, eventually some trends will become apparent.

Lorelei, one of my favorite posters who's longgg gone, got a 15 on verbal way back when this forum was first started. There is a thread here that you might find useful.

I honestly don't think there is one way to succeed in verbal. I don't know jack about verbal but I spent plenty of time practicing and that definitely helped me. I think everyone comprehends information in a different way that's why there are so many different types of strategies. Also, Rabbit36 made a 14 and I'm pretty sure QofQuimica (the person who started the MCAT forum) who scored a 43 probably got 13 or 14 in verbal. But yea, I'm not the guy to go for verbal advice and I freely admit that. I struggled just as much as everyone else does on this section, you just have to find a way to make it work for you. But yea, basically verbal is a bitch.

Hope this answered some of your questions,

-LIS

Hello LostInStudy,

Thanks so much for your advice so far! It has been very helpful. I picked up the EK 1001 Physics and EK 1001 Chem books. Do you recommend doing all 1001 problems in each these books or doing every other problem or every third problem?

Thanks a lot!

Hello LostInStudy,

Thanks so much for your advice so far! It has been very helpful. I picked up the EK 1001 Physics and EK 1001 Chem books. Do you recommend doing all 1001 problems in each these books or doing every other problem or every third problem?

Thanks a lot!

lol, you're asking LIS. He will say do every problem, and 3 times. Then do them backwards, twice.

Hey there LIS,

I'll be taking o-chem this fall semester and continue with o-chem for the spring semester. I also plan on taking the mcat during the spring semester. Thus, I was wondering how much of content review regarding o-chem should I integrete into my mcat study plan assuming most of the content learned in class is fresh in my mind. Any suggestions? I plan on following the SN2ed's study plan. I will be using Kaplan and EK for orgo.

So I did 8 AAMCs, 11 Kaplan, 10 GS, 4 TPR, and 7 TBR. I also did the passages in the AAMC Official guide which were approximately a bit more than a FL. I didn't really do the verbal for GS because I never heard great things about it. The TPR tests were old that came with my TPR set in a book. They had good sciences but I didn't really like the verbal so I didn't do any after the first one. The rest I did as normal FLs. Obviously I think the AAMCs were the best. The Kaplans were good but some of the later ones after 6 weren't too great (with maybe the exception of 9). They got crazy in a weird (read: not good) way. I liked the TBR tests, they had pretty great science sections in my opinion and their verbal wasn't anything special but it wasn't terrible either. The only thing that sort of annoyed me was consistency not only from test to test but passage to passage. However, I think that feeling was good because it was similar to what I felt during the real thing. The GS had good sciences but not amazing. My personal ranking would be AAMC>>TBR>Kaplan (1-7ish)>GS>TPR. GS and TPR weren't bad, they just didn't click with me as much as the others did. I know not everyone can get Kaplan, that's why I think GS would be a nice replacement for them.

How did you review your FL?
Was the review done on the same day?
Thanks

How did you review your FL?
Was the review done on the same day?
Thanks

Umm, LIS already went over this. Read the posts throughly before you decide to ask a question :thumbup:. As for the revision of a FL, I'm sure his technique could be inferred based on what he has said in the past.

I numbered the posts guys so you can refer to them when asking a question or discussing amongst each other.

-LIS

Hello LostInStudy,

Thanks a lot!

If you have time then yes, especially the Chemistry. The physics kind of annoyed me because of all the calculation heavy questions they had in mechanics that weren't that helpful in learning the material but chemistry I thought was just great. The EK 1001 books are really great at building a solid foundation for you and get you to at least a 9, maybe higher. After that is just working on your critical thinking skills. What I did for each chapter was I would go through all the first third of problems from the chapter and review the wrong answers or one's that I had circled because I had no idea what to do when I did them. I would then do the next 1/3 for that chapter and repeat. Then the last 1/3. EK is really good at testing you the same concept in different ways and making sure you truly understand the concept. So, yes I would suggest all of them if you can.

lol, you're asking LIS. He will say do every problem, and 3 times. Then do them backwards, twice.

You forgot sideways. :smuggrin:You have so much to learn.

-LIS