Are MD/PhD rejects REALLY re-considered for the MD-only? Cold, hard facts only.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Were you ACCEPTED MD-only to a school after being rejected MD/PhD?

• No

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

Medphil

MD/PhD hopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know all the policy about how people rejected from MD/PhD programs will be given a fair shot at getting into the schools' MD-only programs. I know there's been lots of discussion on this forum, some people saying that you will be considered, some people saying you won't, and some people saying you will but it will be too late in the process to do anything, etc., etc. My experience says: NO! All these programs state explicitly and tell you that if rejected you will be given a fair shot; but that's just garbage.

Anyway, I don't want to hear all the arguments pro and con. Nor do I want to hear that you were rejected MD/PhD and wait listed to the MD but were ultimately rejected. What I want here, please is -- if you applied to the MD/PhD program, interviewed MD/PhD, and then were rejected MD/PhD, if you were then ACCEPTED to the MD-only at that same school that same application cycle. (Please only post here if the answer is "yes.") It would also be nice to hear which schools this happened at. Thanks, all. Sorry if I sound frustrated... I have been.

NOTE: Please don't just respond "yes" to the poll without posting where you were accepted (I don't care about knowing for where you responded "no").

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Edit:

I interviewed emory MD/PhD and got waitlisted MD, but I withdrew before they started accepting people off the waitlist.

Same at WashU, but it was an MD only interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to distinguish between being interviewed for the MD separately (ie: MD/PhD reject with no MD/PhD interview, then MD interview offered at another time (possibly before the PhD rejection!)) and MD/PhD interview reject consigned to the MD list.

If it is the former, I believe you are on equal footing with the MD students because you are treated as an MD student for almost the entire process. For the latter, it is school dependent but generally no, you will no be treated the same (because you were rejected from the MD/PhD program post-interview).

You need to distinguish between being interviewed for the MD separately (ie: MD/PhD reject with no MD/PhD interview, then MD interview offered at another time (possibly before the PhD rejection!)) and MD/PhD interview reject consigned to the MD list.

If it is the former, I believe you are on equal footing with the MD students because you are treated as an MD student for almost the entire process. For the latter, it is school dependent but generally no, you will no be treated the same (because you were rejected from the MD/PhD program post-interview).

I meant the latter -- after being interviewed for the MD/PhD.

StIgMA, did you respond "yes" to the poll meaning the former?

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE: RESPONDING "YES" TO THE POLL WITHOUT TELLING ME THE SCHOOL DOESN'T HELP ME AT ALL. Thanks.

So far only Michigan and U Maryland. Are those the only two schools in history who have actually adhered (once) to stated policy?

I've chatted with or seen posts from many people on SDN over the years who were accepted to MD programs, but rejected there MD/PhD. The names that frequently come up are WashU, Stanford, and Harvard. I was invited to interview at WashU for MD only after not being selected for MD/PhD interview, but declined the interview.

I was accepted to Baylor's MD program before their MD/PhD program. I don't think the MD/PhD decision would have altered the MD program's decision on me.

I'm sure there are more programs, but just not enough people responding to your question.

this is a SMALL sample size