Anyone who is in or went to Pharmacy School with an Engineering undergrad degree

Started by ChEStud
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChEStud

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please share your experience in applying, choosing, and getting into pharmacy school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please share your experience in applying, choosing, and getting into pharmacy school!

A- sit in a comfortable cubicle, take 1 hour paid lunch, several breaks, listen to iPod, play ping pong with colleagues on company time, work from home couple times a week, have everynight and weekends/holidays off, wear Hawaiian shirts on Friday and leave early?

B- stand on feet for 14 hours have customers yell at you and call you stupid and stare at you because their rx is taking longer that their double cheeseburger? No breaks... Management asking why you did call all 70 pts to fill their flonase and when you did how come you weren't on the phone for 1 minute and why not fill the rx when they don't need it so u can meet company goals?

Seems like a simple decision! Don't make same mistake, I would go back in a heartbeat with paycut but I have 150k in loans.
 
A- Have 40k in loans, earn a 70-80k salary with unstability
B- Have 150k in loans, earn a 100k-110k salary with stability
 
I pursued engineering until I applied to pharmacy school. Luckily I had also taken a couple classes in case I decided on med school. Fell into pharmacy.

Your reasons were the exact same as mine, mainly job stability. I was interested in civil engineering, I had a couple of friends that were having a hard time finding work in the field. Make sure your prereqs are in order, mainly the biological sciences. Other than that, you should be fine.

As far as the negativity, this board is full of crybabies, if they got paid for complaining, they'd all be retired.
 
My father was an engineer. After 43 years working for a bus operation he was determined I should do something else. I did do pharmaceutical engineering (chemical engineering) while at pharm school. Came in useful many times. Was selling Vitamins A,D,E to food companies and they were surprised I knew what a votator was.
johnep
 
I have a BSE in Chemical Engineering and a MSE in Pharmaceutical Engineering. PM me with whatever questions that you may have.
 
A- Have 40k in loans, earn a 70-80k salary with unstability
B- Have 150k in loans, earn a 100k-110k salary with stability

That's not enough of an argument because if you go to a new school that just opened up, 4 years from now it will probably be easier to find an engineering job, and the stability factor won't exsist for pharmacy(my opinion). Try and go to a cheaper school, I would never spend more on tuition than 1 years salary. I learned my lesson. There is no way to pay off 150k in 3-5 years like most people think they will unless you live with mom and dad and eat ramen noodles, or have extra income from a spouse.