Where are you thinking of applying, CO 2015 hopefuls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thedogisgreen

UC Davis c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure a thread like this has been done most years, but I haven't seen anything about this recently. I've been trying to narrow down where to apply but my list seems huge. Last year, I just applied to three schools and got three flat out rejections, so I'm definitely applying to more this year, plus have lots more experience and better grades. At the moment, though, my list is eight schools long - Davis (IS), Washington, Oregon, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, VMRCVM, Iowa. This seems pretty excessive and costs a ton. My mom is being way too nice and offered to pay the full application + supplemental costs, which amount to about $1400, eek, so finances aren't such an issue for this (though I feel bad having her pay this much!). And I guess the more schools the better, right? How many and which schools are you guys thinking of? Fingers crossed for this year for all of us! :xf:
 
And I guess the more schools the better, right?

I think it is always a good thing to maximize your odds, but make sure you are applying to each school for a reason. Imagine yourself answering supplemental essays and/or interview questions about why you want to attend each school on your list. If you find yourself BS'ing an answer and not feeling passionate toward that school, you may want to cross it off your list. I think adcoms do a great job of sorting out who applied for the hell of it (i.e., just to maximize odds of acceptance), and who actually wants to attend their school. Ask yourself why you added each school to your list, and if you'd be happy living and learning there for four years.

My list was originally 8+ schools long, but I dwindled that down to the four I liked the most (and this was even after answering all of Western's 11 supplemental essays for nothing!). Then, half-way through the application cycle, I regretted even applying to that many because I knew I'd only be happy attending one school, and perhaps be okay with attending a second.

The application cycle is so long and is such a roller coaster of emotions that it is literally impossible to predict exactly how you'll feel as you near the end of this journey, let alone all the highs and lows in between. But try to be as honest with yourself right now, and it will pay off in the end 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Davis (IS), Colorado, Cornell, UPenn, Iowa. Cornell is pretty much a longshot, but you never know. :/
 
I think we already had a thread like this earlier - but since people are coming out of the woodwork for this app cycle, I'm more than happy to participate. 🙂

I am planning on applying to 5 schools but have only decided on three so far:
UC Davis
Washington State
U Penn

The other two depend on whether or not I get into a class I need in the fall.
 
Avc (Omg, SDN won't let me capitalize the V and the C!)
 
Last edited:
I have made a list, crossed it out, made a list, crossed it out. So I think I finally have my last list down.

Colorado-long shot
Mississippi
Louisana-looks at last 45 GPA 🙂
Kansas- love the school 🙂
Washington
Minnesota-the more I read about the school the more I like it!
Tufts- (IS)
 
UC Davis, CSU, Iowa, Kansas, Tuskegee, Western, Minnesota, VMRCVM (IS), Illinois, Mississippi and probably St. George's. Ridiculously long, but I'm applying to every school whose requirements I meet. As mentioned, there's a reason behind each school but the overall idea is to give myself the best chance possible with my weak GPA.


(I really hope that's the right form of who's/whose, after that rant 😉)
 
Penn (IS), Louisiana, Minnesota, Ohio, UFlorida, CSU, UIUC definitely. Maybe Michigan and Wisconsin but I'm not sure. I know at least 2 in this list are longshots and that the list itself is long but this is my first time applying and my parents are footing the bill. 😳
 
I CAN'T DECIDE!! Ugh, I feel so behind.

As far as WICHE schools go, I was only thinking about applying to Colorado State and Oregon State. They make you sign something that says you're less likely to receive funding unless you apply to all of the WICHE schools though... sigh. So, here's the long (read: LOOOONG) list:

Colorado State
Oregon State
Washington State
UC Davis
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
U of Wisconsin
Tufts
UPEI
RVC
U of Edinburgh
UC Dublin

The first ones to go will probably be Oklahoma State, U of Wisconsin, and UC Dublin... and sadly Ohio State if I don't have a second vet write me a recommendation. 😕 I actually have no clue who my 3rd LOR will be. Blah!! 🙁
 
Just OVC for me (my in province). I'm only going into my junior year of undergrad right now so if I don't get in then I can always finish up my senior year (but then I'd have to write the dreaded thesis paper..gah).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just Purdue!! (I was born and raised in Lafayette, IN... so it's my "home" school!)

Any other PU SVM c/o 2015 hopefuls? 🙂
 
Also keep in mind that it's expensive to apply to multiple schools. Cost me about $4,000 to apply and get interviewed at 7 schools.
 
Just Missouri here. Too many reasons not to leave the state yet.
 
cost me about $4,000 to apply and get interviewed at 7 schools.

I applied to 10 schools, got accepted to 4 and spent about $6000 overall and that's including the airfare, hotel and rental cars too (plus an amazing trip to visit U of Edinburgh...)
 
Just Purdue!! (I was born and raised in Lafayette, IN... so it's my "home" school!)

Any other PU SVM c/o 2015 hopefuls? 🙂

Born in Lafayette, family still there. 🙂 I'm a wisco resident, but I have to apply!

I'm likely doing Wisconsin (IS), Missouri, Purdue, and I would do Colorado but I don't want to waste my money.
 
I'm only applying to my state school (Texas)

This is my second time applying, the first time around I applied to 10 schools. Now I'm just applying to Texas because we will need to stay in texas for the next few years for my fiance's grad program.

If I don't get in this round though I'll do a master's program and apply again in two years to more places. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to do that though cause Texas is my first choice anyway 🙂
 
My choices are

Ohio State
UC Davis (IS)
Tufts
RVC
Glasgow

My choice school might be RVC because I want to be licensed in both North America and Europe... but I would really like to go to Tufts and do their MPH/DVM program with the international certificate... but UC Davis is my IS and I would love to go there.. Yikes, I wouldn't know where to go if I was accepted to more than one program. I would be so grateful if I just made it to one school!
 
Right now, I'm looking at:

Tennessee
VMRCVM
CSU
WSU
Illinois

If I can finagle a micro lab this fall, then I may also add NCSU.

This is my second time applying, and I'm reconsidering my priorities. CSU and WSU are kind of my "dream" schools in terms of many things, but the other schools are much closer to home (Kentucky, and no, the Alabama schools are not options for me for reasons I don't want to get into).

Over this past year, it has become much more important for my boyfriend and I to have time with our families. It would be fabulous if I could attend vet school just a few hours drive from them. I certainly don't expect to be jetting home several times a week, but if I could take an occasional weekend, that would rock.

Additionally, when I researched schools to apply to for last year's cycle, I really limited myself geographically, and I'm now realizing that I may have short changed myself in terms of programs that appeal to me.
 
Urg.

Tufts
UPenn
Ohio State
Illinois
Purdue
NC

The last three are iffy, and I may add some in. Got to sit down and really think about it in the next couple of weeks.
 
I am not totally sure where I am applying yet. Depends on what classes I am taking in the fall. But I was thinking:

UC Davis (IS)
Washington State
Oregon State
Oklahoma
Missouri

but I really really really want to go to WSU!
 
I'm applying everywhere.

Colorado
Iowa
Penn (my in state school!)
Washington
Missouri
Virginia-Maryland
Mississippi
Michigan
Kansas
Tennessee
Minnesota

Applying to 11 VMCAS schools - $1047 VMCAS Fee + ~$600.00 in supplemental fees
Getting into veterinary school - priceless!
 
Born in Lafayette, family still there. 🙂 I'm a wisco resident, but I have to apply!

I'm likely doing Wisconsin (IS), Missouri, Purdue, and I would do Colorado but I don't want to waste my money.


Good Luck! Good luck with Wisconsin, but hopefully I'll see you at Purdue! I might know you... did you grow up in Lafayette?
 
Good Luck! Good luck with Wisconsin, but hopefully I'll see you at Purdue! I might know you... did you grow up in Lafayette?

No. 🙁 I bounced around Wisconsin and Illinois for most of my life, and came back to Indiana for family stuff. I miss it though-- beautiful state!
 
I highly encourage those of you with high GPA's/GRE's and perhaps fewer hours of animal/vet experience to apply to Michigan. And, merit scholarships are always available to OOS students...

good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I highly encourage those of you with high GPA's/GRE's and perhaps fewer hours of animal/vet experience to apply to Michigan. And, merit scholarships are always available to OOS students...

good luck!

I'd recommend vmrcvm. I know three people who got accepted there this year that had practically 0 hrs experience but high GPA/GRE. Yes, i'm bitter lol but it is true!
 
I think I've finally gotten my list set.

VMRCVM(moved to VA last October if I get accepted, I'll get IS rates)
Tufts
Wisconsin
Missouri
U of Edinburgh
Glasgow

and possibly Auburn if I can get my act together and take animal nutrition online.
 
I'm sure most of you probably know, but just a reminder to take the cost of attending the schools into consideration. Pay attention to what schools allow change of residency/tuition rates. I know money isn't everything but it was a huge part of my final decision. I didn't think about cost as much when I was applying but wish I had and applied to other schools that allow change in residency/tuition. Just want you guys to have the best options when you do do get in 😀. Anyways best of luck to you all :luck:.
 
My list is ever changing, and still needs to be shortened (like in half!). But currently it is: Colorado (IS), Kansas, Missouri, Washington, Iowa, Ohio, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Tufts, and Edinburgh. There are still some issues to resolve with some of these about age of my pre-reqs (Ohio and Iowa) and the writers of my letters (Tufts), so if I can't get those resolved it may help narrow down my list! I am still bumming about Illinois coming off my list (LOVE the sounds of their new program!), but I just can't bring myself to take the GRE again just for them (my test is 45 days too old for them, and I double checked, no exceptions on the 2 year limit), as I know I will obsess with studying for it and simply don't have the time right now with all my commitments this summer.

I'm giving myself 2 more weeks to finalize this list... then I need to get the ball really rolling before I go back to work in August! I may just throw some darts to make my final selections.

I am so nervous/excited for the new cycle to be underway. This is the first time I am applying to places other than my IS, so there is so much more to keep track of. The obsession over status pages and SDN may become a full time job!
 
There are still some issues to resolve with some of these about age of my pre-reqs (Ohio and Iowa)

FWIW, Iowa State was really nice about waving the pre-req age limit for several of my classes. Old physics, math, English and speech were no problem for them at all. General bio was also fine because I had taken quite a few more advanced bio classes recently.

Good luck!
 
Just reapplying to Wisconsin (IS).

Applied to 4 schools this last cycle, but made the decision that OOS tuition is just too ridiculous, so I am just sticking with IS this time.
 
FWIW, Iowa State was really nice about waving the pre-req age limit for several of my classes. Old physics, math, English and speech were no problem for them at all. General bio was also fine because I had taken quite a few more advanced bio classes recently.

Good luck!

Good to know, thanks! I don't really think it should be a problem since I've already gotten the OK from Kansas (and Colorado has agreed that I have shown current proficiency even though they don't have a hard cut-off like these others), but I need something in writing before moving forward. Since I currently teach in a related subject area and have taken genetics, biochem, micro, histology, anatomy, statistics, and animal nutrition in the last few years I feel like I can make a decent case. On the other hand I am asking them to take physics, chem, organic, intro bio, and gen eds from 15 years ago!

I've sent e-mails this week but haven't heard back from Iowa and Ohio yet, but hopefully soon!
 
and possibly Auburn if I can get my act together and take animal nutrition online.

take it through kansas state online...you won't regret it. fantastic course. by far one of my favorites and very laid back (not intense AT ALL). i learned so much from it, and the style of the class worked really well with my crazy hectic semester. i took it this spring so if you have any questions (and anyone else) send me a PM!

good luck to everyone applying!!!
 
This is not my final list... but so far I know I'm applying to:

UTK (IS)
Tuskegee
Mississippi
Washington
Minnesota
 
I'm thinking of

UC Davis (IS)
Western
Mizzou
Iowa
Prince Edward Island
University of Guelph

I will most likely stick to only 6
 
I am not sure if they have announced it yet, but I believe Auburn is going to offer another 25 or so OOS seats in addition to the 10 now. So if the low percentage of acceptance OOS is keeping you from applying to auburn there will be more seats I think 🙂 If not this year, then definitely next year..

edit!
I just looked it up on the website.. Auburn is now offering 40 OOS seats this cycle. yay for us OOSers! good luck!
 
I am not sure if they have announced it yet, but I believe Auburn is going to offer another 25 or so OOS seats in addition to the 10 now. So if the low percentage of acceptance OOS is keeping you from applying to auburn there will be more seats I think 🙂 If not this year, then definitely next year..

edit!
I just looked it up on the website.. Auburn is now offering 40 OOS seats this cycle. yay for us OOSers! good luck!

I think it's 40 seats for Kentucky residents. It also says there are 2 seats for West Virginia, but they only take 10 from the rest of the country.
 
My list is looking like this: (this is still a work in progress I have been really busy and have not completely decided yet).

Kansas
Ohio
Iowa
Mississippi
Western

Maybe:
Illinois
Washington (had an amazing file review with them)
CSU (only because of the damn WICHE thing)
Oregon (still need animal nutrition and part of the WICHE thing)

I am just trying to decide if I even want to do the WICHE application again...I am probably not going to and then I will not apply to WSU, CSU or Oregon.
 
I think it's 40 seats for Kentucky residents. It also says there are 2 seats for West Virginia, but they only take 10 from the rest of the country.

this has been what's it's been in the past (and says on the aavmc requirements) but they are increasing the class size from 90 to 120. at our open house it was stated that the increase would go to OOS students and this will apply to the incoming c/o 2015. the tuition from the added OOS spots will fund the massive construction project that has just started -- new small animal teaching hospital and classrooms.

we already have a new incredible large animal teaching hospital 😉

**edit** this was taken directly from the Auburn CVM website:

"Approximately 120 students are admitted to the professional program each year. Forty are Alabama residents. Forty-two are contract students (40 from Kentucky and two from West Virginia)"

....so that would mean 38 OOS seats for this cycle!!
 
Last edited:
this has been what's it's been in the past (and says on the aavmc requirements) but they are increasing the class size from 90 to 120. at our open house it was stated that the increase would go to OOS students and this will apply to the incoming c/o 2015. the tuition from the added OOS spots will fund the massive construction project that has just started -- new small animal teaching hospital and classrooms.

we already have a new incredible large animal teaching hospital 😉

**edit** this was taken directly from the Auburn CVM website:

"Approximately 120 students are admitted to the professional program each year. Forty are Alabama residents. Forty-two are contract students (40 from Kentucky and two from West Virginia)"

....so that would mean 38 OOS seats for this cycle!!

Ooooh very cool! 👍 Thanks for posting the info and sorry for my misinformation!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
take it through kansas state online...you won't regret it. fantastic course. by far one of my favorites and very laid back (not intense AT ALL). i learned so much from it, and the style of the class worked really well with my crazy hectic semester. i took it this spring so if you have any questions (and anyone else) send me a PM!

good luck to everyone applying!!!

Hmm, I'll have to look into Kansas. Thanks for the info!
 
You know Western's extreeeemely expensive? More so than most OOS's?

I really really like the idea of Western’s PBL and reverence for life philosophy! 😀 I’m an international student and so I’ll be paying OOS tuition if not more than that….. And I am kinda lucky that my parents are paying for most of the tuition…so I really wish I do get in! but on the other hand, I am thinking about applying to Tufts as well. 🙂
 
I'm applying to NC State, Texas A&M and possibly Auburn. I like Auburn but the out-of-state tuition scares me a bit.