Setting up for Derm Pre-MSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

revvo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Derms (is that the proper collective term?),

I'm stubbornly determined to match into a dermatology residency position. I've yet to begin my first year at my medical school, so admittedly it might be a tad too early to be worrying about residency; however, from doing some cursory research here and elsewhere, I've learned that securing a derm spot requires more than just numbers - opportunities, such as research and connections, that I feel I should start pursuing as early as possible, are vital.

What medical school will I be entering? St. George's University. Yes, it's in the Caribbean. I didn't do too well during my undergraduate years (3.3 gpa/31 MCAT), nor did I exert much effort in applying to medical school, but that's alright. Hard work will eventually take me to where I'd like to be, so please spare me the 'You have no chance.' replies. I'm fully aware of the odds I'm facing, which really makes this entire pursuit more challenging, and ultimately rewarding.

So, with an open mind and unobstructed ears, I ask for any and all advice regarding steps I can take now to seize opportunities that will help shape me into an extremely competitive derm candidate. Networking is quite frequently suggested as a way to boost one's chances, but what does networking in the medical sense entail? From a business perspective, you network because you have something to gain and offer, a give-and-take type of relationship I don't see happening between a potential resident and some hotshot dermatologist. Any clarification would be appreciated. Also, SGU doesn't seem to offer much in the way of a derm department or research, so what are some ways you suggest that I might get involved with or get a foot into the derm scene? Are organizations/associations worth looking into? For those who were matched into a derm residency position, what were some of the activities you participated in, external to academic performance, that you believe helped you secure your spot?

I've learned from past experiences and failures that it really never is too early to start planning and researching the path to any given goal, so I'd be immensely grateful for any help on how to begin setting myself up for a career in dermatology.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

A school's curriculum has a lot to do with how you do on Steps (I believe so anyway). That's why Pre-meds want to know the avg step score of classes of a certain school. I'm not sure about St. Georges averages, but I'm going to be presumptuous and say 'not the best scores'. I'd advise you to work outside of your coursework to prepare for the steps. Nail them the best you can.

Since you don't have a derm department, I'd say you really have 2 options (with the second one being the most likely):

1. 'Network' like mad. I feel this may be hard since you won't even be in the country for a lot of your training.

2. Secure the best intern year you can, then take a fellowship year and hope you get your foot in the door at that program.

Best of luck to you.

it's going to be pretty tough to get a dermatology residency position as an international grad. according to the most recent nrmp match outcomes (2009) the derm match rate for "independent applicants" was 31%. this lumps DO's, international grads, and reapplicants into a group. things you can do to maximize your chances are 1) score very high on step 1.. >250, 2) do multiple rotations in the states during your ms3 and 4 years, and 3) consider finishing a medicine or other residency in the US and then apply, vs. a research fellowship in the US and then apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that if you try long (i.e., many years after med school) and hard enough you will probably eventually get a spot somewhere.

Here's my recipe for derm success for someone like you. These plans take a long time, but if you're committed, you will probably succeed.

Part 1 involves basically forgetting about derm. There's not much value (or ability) to 'network' in your position. That will come much later. Initially, this is what you should do.

1. Achieve AOA status (assuming they have it at your school) and graduate at or near the top of your class.
2. Study long and hard for both step 1 and step 2. You need to crush these tests.
3. Don't bother applying for derm as a 4th year student. Even if you achieve both of the above, your chances are really low. I guess you could apply and see how many interviews you get and then withdraw from the match if you don't get any. That would work too.

At this point (i.e., 4th med student) you've got two options:

4a. Obtain the most prestigious prelim year you can in either pediatrics or internal medicine. Do well that year so you can get good LORs. Then do 1-year derm research fellowships for every year after that and apply for derm each year until you get a spot.

4b. Obtain the most prestigious categorical residency program you can in either pediatrics or internal medicine and complete the whole residency. Preferably pick one that is attached to a large derm program. Also try to pick an institution that is large enough that funding for residents that have finished other residencies is not an issue (this information is sometimes difficult to obtain discreetly, but you can get an idea of this by seeing how many residents who have done other residencies have been accepted there in the prior 5 years)

Do well in your residency so you can get good LORs. After intern year, try to gradually get to know the derm faculty at that institution and get involved in research projects. Apply for derm as a 3rd resident. If you fail, then do one year research fellowships and reapply each year until you get a spot.

Most people do 4a, but I actually think 4b is better. People are afraid of 4b because it actually cuts you off from a lot of programs that can't afford to pay a PGY-4 salary (and subsequent annual increases) to an incoming derm resident. But I think this is outweighed by benefit to your resume that you get by doing well at a well-recognized peds or medicine program. 4b also gives you better back-up options, if you want to go a different direction (than derm) later on.

If you do all of this, I think that your chance of obtaining a derm spot 4-5 years after med school graduation is very high. That's a long time to wait, but if you're committed enough it should eventually happen.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I respectfully disagree. Selection bias.

I've always wondered if having a shelf for every rotation makes a difference for how well students do on Step 2.

It would be an interesting study to see how much curriculum has to do with it. Anyone around here good with multivariate analysis? :cool:

agree with reno. this is not something that will be acheivable after 4 yrs of medschool. 100 to 1 shot at best. even with aoa and the like. you might be able to do it in 5 yrs = 4 yrs medschool + 1 yr amazing/productive research after MS2 or MS3 in huge dept with prestigious folks (maybe umich or nyu or upenn). you would have to publish 3+ papers and shoot for first author on all of them (JAAD, JID, or even NEJM/JAMA). then go back to that same prog in your ms4 year and kill your clinical rotation. all while being supremely likeable. i can't stress this enough. imagine you're trying to make sweet love to natalie portman. you need to woo her into swoonhood. and if it takes 8 years? who the f cares? it's natalie portman for chrissakes!

may your medical dreams come true

Reactions: 1 user
You are in an interesting situation. First off, when you get there I'd ask around your medical school to see where prior people have matched into Dermatology. Might help in planning away rotations.

I know this has been discussed before, but which programs are very good at taking their research fellows?

Look at the most recently updated match list, stickied above. Off the top of my head, I remember Utah took two research fellows from their department. There were others but I can't recall.

Look at the most recently updated match list, stickied above. Off the top of my head, I remember Utah took two research fellows from their department. There were others but I can't recall.

Thanks!

SGU does not have AOA. They have IEA (Iota Epsilon Alpha) which is their version of IEA. There are only 3 chapters (a 4th is defunct I think), but it is the only international medical honor society that is truly international (in 3 different countries).

SGU had a match at the University of Toronto this year, but it's been quite some time since they've had a U.S. match direct from MS4 year.

Transfer out is the only viable option. PM me to find out the best plan of action for transfer. I've helped many other students transfer out of Carib schools and several will be applying for Derm this year/next year. If you're proactive and dedicated, you can make it happen.

Transfer out is the only viable option. PM me to find out the best plan of action for transfer. I've helped many other students transfer out of Carib schools and several will be applying for Derm this year/next year. If you're proactive and dedicated, you can make it happen.

Your username is like totally fitting! :)

SGU does not have AOA. They have IEA (Iota Epsilon Alpha) which is their version of IEA. There are only 3 chapters (a 4th is defunct I think), but it is the only international medical honor society that is truly international (in 3 different countries).

SGU had a match at the University of Toronto this year, but it's been quite some time since they've had a U.S. match direct from MS4 year.

I agree with this. I think you need to be attending an American school to really give yourself a shot. Would you consider re-applying? Maybe not even this year, but for the 2012-2013 school year? I know that sounds crazy, but the options presented by others above also involve 2-4 extra years, so it would be the same in the long run. Maybe find a derm research assistant job and buff your med school app that way. Just a thought.

Right, it seems as if transferring would prove to be greatly beneficial, and doing so is now a priority. Thanks for offering your help; you'll be receiving a PM shortly!