Henry Ford Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akomark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never done one of these before but I rotated at Henry Ford and haven't found a single review for the place on this website which to me is amazing so here goes:

Residents: A great group of easy-going, friendly residents. You would never guess that they work as hard as they do based on their demeanor. I got to know more of the 3rd yr residents than any of the other classes while I rotated there and the story I most frequently heard when I asked "Why Henry Ford?" was that they rotated there as 4th yr med students, loved it and ranked it number 1. The night before the interview they take you to a nice restaurant at the Renaissance Center downtown (the biggest building in the city, the one you see when they do skyline shots at Detroit sporting events) and it was good times and a great meal.

Faculty: The PD is Dr. Lewandowski and he is quite honestly one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He's been there forever (a lifer as he terms it) and every single one of the residents love the guy. Despite being so nice, he is no pushover, if an off-service is keeping a resident from conference, Lewandowski makes a phone call and that resident is at conference in 5min. Dr. Rivers is also on staff at Henry Ford and he is nicer than he is smart which is obviously saying something. Dr. Gerard Martin is the new dept chair and by all accounts he is very easy to work and get along with. In the month that i spent there I only ever heard the residents complain about working w/ 1 of the 30+ staff physicians...not a bad batting average.

Interview Day: Relaxed (aren't they all this way in EM??? What a great field!). The day starts at 10am w/ the obligatory slide show presentation w/ the PD. That is followed by a tour of the brand new sim center that is totally state of the art and many, many more superlatives. You interview w/ 3 faculty members (inclduing the PD) after lunch and they are benign. Last part of the day is a tour of the ED which is massive and sprawling and usually FILLED w/ patients.

Hospital: Henry Ford is a special place, it is a nearly 1000 bed free-standing, loosely affiliated academic medical center (w/ the full compliment of residency programs) in the middle of a major urban city. There are more ICU beds here than anywhere else in the country and they are ALWAYS full. It is the busiest level 1 trauma center in the state and has the busiest transplant service in the state...etc, etc, etc.

You do all of your rotations there except for some Peds ED and Peds anesthesia at Children's Hospital of Michigan down the street at the Detroit Medical Center. Children's is a top 10 pediatric hospital.

Ancillary Staff: awesome. I had a patient there who I saw being wheeled into his room, and I said to the resident there is no way that tech is getting that IV started on this vasculopath. 5min later i walk back to see the guy and he has an IV in his forehead. Enough said. They have radiology in the department (2 CT scanners), and also Psych/Social work in the department.

Admitting/Documentation: paperless charting is new, but they've had electronic orders and patient tracking, and a network that logs all patient visits w/in the Henry Ford Health System (it is immense) for sometime now. Admitting patients is not a problem as medicine doesn't even see patients in the ED, the EM residents simply call report on a pt and then there are people at the other end that make sure that your patient(s) meet admission criteria, etc. There are no battles over admitting patients.

Curriculum: 3yr curriculum. 2 medicine wards months on the cardiology and nephrology services (no general medicine) and 3 ED mos as an intern. I'm unsure on what the rest of the intern yr consists of but just thought i would mention the medicine wards since that seems to be a huge turnoff to some people these days. As a 2nd yr you are responsible for all procedures and airway on medical recuscitations and trauma, and as a 3rd yr you run these. You also do a second SICU month as a 3rd yr where you are a supervising resident, this is your only month of call during the 3rd yr which i feel is worth mentioning since many other programs have no call during the 3rd yr.

In the ED you work 10hr shifts, approx 21-22/month. Residents no longer do dictations which has apparently decreased the amt of time they are spending at the hospital after their shift has officially ended.

Didatics/Research: conference is every thursday noon-5p. They are very laid back and, at least for the interns are a reunion of sorts since there are a lot of off-service months during the intern yr. Research opportunities are abundant, Dr. Rivers is the research director and is (obviously) very active on that front. No formal resident research project is required, but each resident has access to $5000 for reasearch while they are there through some grant funding from the hospital. The hospital itself is in the top 6% of all institutions in terms of funding granted by the NIH and US Public Health Service.

City: Detroit is Detroit, love it or leave it. For people not familiar w/ the city there has definitely been a resurgence in the Foxtown/stadium district w/ the Tigers and Lions both opening new stadiums recently and a big influx of bars/restaurants/business in that area. Most of the residents live in the suburbs (Royal Oak, Troy,etc ) and the commute is very reasonable, esp for residents who don't exactly have 9-5 jobs.

Salary/Benefits/etc: I don't remember what the salary was, you can look it up if you are so inclined. One cool perk is that you can take part in the Ford X plan and buy Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, or Mazda cars at a discounted rate.

Negatives: Detroit is probably a deal-breaker for most, definitely not for me but it's easily the most frequently cited negative by applicants. A lot of the 3rd yrs are from or have ties to the Detroit area, but fewer of the 2nd yrs and even fewer interns do; so that may be reflecting applicant's changing attitudes towards Detroit, or it may be a reflection of increasing national recognition of the program. This is not a "cush" residency so if that is what you are looking for this place is definitely not for you. If you are a whacker and pre-hospital care is your thing and you for sure know this is what you want to do w/ your life, then there are better programs than Henry Ford for you.

Overall: An amazing program and were it not in Detroit it would probably be the most competitive place in the country to get into. Anyone who graduates from here will be able to get a great job anywhere in the country and be ready to manage (not just "see", but manage and take care of) the sickest patients you can find. I can't emphasize enough how aggressive they are in taking care of these sick patients in the ED, other places will talk about how you will "see" so many sick patients, but here at Ford you get to aggressively treat them and you are their doctor, period, no strings attached. It's a special place and needless to say I will be ranking it VERY high on my list.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, New to the forum, some great posts, I've only found 1 review of Henry Ford. Anyone else have any input? Really thought it was an awesome program when i interviewed, but It's so hard to tell from 1 day. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Hello, New to the forum, some great posts, I've only found 1 review of Henry Ford. Anyone else have any input? Really thought it was an awesome program when i interviewed, but It's so hard to tell from 1 day. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

I'm at HFH, PGY-2
Here's our set up.
PGY-1
2-3 months of ER, didactic at the end with ATLS, PALS and procedure month. Cardiology and Nephrology floor months (both are very good, high yield and you learn a ton). OB, Peds (at the Children's Hospital of Michigan), Surgical ICU, Ortho-Anesthes-EMS, Neurology. Lots of off-service. It makes you irate as an intern, but you really appreciate the experience once you get into your second year and realize how freaking sick the patients are. The 2-3 months in the ER are in our mid-level acuity area (vag bleeders, abd pain, nonspecific chest pain, URI, orthopedic problems, psych, drunks, etc...). You get a good mix of run of the mill ER. What you quickly realize is that what is medium acuity in Detroit is often high acuity in other cities.

PGY-2
8 months ER. Work in high acuity area (trauma, stroke, MI, sepsis, arrythmias, head bleeds, CHF, status asthmat/epilepticus, dialysis pt with severe electrolyte abnorm, DKA, etc... You spend several shifts each month in this area where you are the airway/procedure monkey. All you do in the trauma bays/resuscitation rooms is procedures (the 3rd year runs the codes/traumas). We DO NOT SHARE PROCEDURES WITH TRAUMA SURGERY. It's our ER, we are in charge. The surg residents come to all traumas, but only help/do procedures if we want/need them to do so. Off service-MICU, Plastic Surgery (hand surgery), Peds ICU (at Children's).

PGY-3
7 months ER. You are the boss. You run the high acuity codes. Manage the flow of the high acuity area. Our seniors do not supervise junior residents. The juniors present to the attending. The off service are SICU senior, Peds elective, Hawaii month and ER critical care/Toxicology/ER ultrasound.

Our ER is divided into four areas.
Cat 1-high acuity, lots of badness, really sick pts.
Cat 2-mod acuity, the place where the vag bleeders, abd pain, etc are
Cat 3/4-peds and fast track

As an intern you only work in Cat 2.
Second and third years work everywhere.
As second years we go to a community peds ER 3-4 times/month for more peds experience.

Interns 15-17 shifts/month
Second/Third 19-21 shift/month
All 9-10 hours

Computer order entry, Electronic medical records and physician documentation.

Our staff are great. They are wicked smart people who teach a great deal. We have some outstanding faculty including Manny Rivers (Sepsis/EGDT), Chris Lewandowski (program director/major leader in national stroke research), Richard Nowak (cardiac biomarkers), Ronny Otero (Sepsis/Asthma).

I love my co-residents. We get along great. We are busy, but go out for lots of beers when we get the chance. ER schedules are hard to match up, so you will sometimes go out after a shift rather than getting a group together.

Here's one of my days in our Cat One (high acuity area)
I can tell you from experience that we are "really aggressive and invasive" at Henry Ford. So if you are into procedures, critical care and more importantly the ED management of critically ill pts, then you should be happy at HFH. Even though we have the second highest volume of ICU beds in the country (130), we still run out of beds and do a lot of boarding of critical pts in the ER. This means that you get the experience of running an ICU when you are in Cat one.

For example, today we had 7 vented pts in the ER. One on a milrinone drip (severe CHF, EF 5%), one on her way to cath lab (huge MI troponin > 100), one urosepsis/altered mental status, one DKA anion gap of 34, pH 7.0, one ALS respiratory failure, intubated 2/2 muscular weakness, etc...

I personally did 4 central lines, 2 arterial lines, and 2 intubations today. On top of bedside echo's to assess heart function in our CHFer and AMI. It gets pretty busy. But if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere...literally. Our ICU rotations are a cake b/c we do it all in the ER.

Anyhow, I love my program, I am WITHOUT A DOUBT PREPARED FOR ANYTHING. As far as wanting to do academics, there are plenty of people here who can be a nice "in" for academics. A lot of our residents get there feet in the door either at this program, or through our HFH graduates at other academic programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

Ford is awesome. I interviewed there as well and was very impressed. I was lucky enough to spend some time in the department with Manny Rivers while I was there, which was a blast. But more importantly, I got to meet the esteemed kbrown during lunch!

I'll post this caveat before each of my reviews: I'm not really a numbers person, so I don't really remember all the details like annual number of patients seen, board pass rates, etc. etc. So, forgive me if some of my details are slightly off and feel free to correct them.

Residents: I went out to dinner with the residents the night before, and it was probably just who I happened to be seated with, but I didn't really get along with them as a group. I was seated right next to one of those guys who just talks non-stop and will never, ever shut up. And the other two residents at my table only talked about what and how much they like to drink.

The next day during tour and lunch, they were better, and seemed relatively normal and well-adjusted. As a whole, the group did seem kind of worn down. I think they work a lot here.

One thing I did like is that it seems as if residents get a lot of autonomy in the ED here and they are making tough decisions from the get-go.

Faculty: From what I hear, the faculty at Henry Ford are good teachers and good people, but I'm only judging based on my interviews. The PD seemed like a great guy, very inviting and professional. My other 2 interviews weren't as good. In one, I was with a woman who met all of my normal interview banter and get-to-know-you joking with a stony face. Didn't crack a smile once. My other interview was fine except that he spent about 8 minutes with me. He asked if I had any questions, I asked one, then he cut me off and said he wanted to move on to the next interview. Just didn't get the warm fuzzies here.

And I may be off-base here, but I got the impression that this residency was a bit more hierarchical than others (not as collegial). I felt like I got enough of that in my med school. I'm looking for a place that will treat me like a peer.

Curriculum: Uh, let's see ... not much really stood out. 3 elective months the 3rd year. No flying. They do have an elective rotation, expenses paid, in Hawaii, which pretty much everyone takes. That's pretty sweet.

Facilities: Kind of run-down, but whatever.

Location: I'm not as down on Detroit as much as everyone else is. Yeah, the city is suffering, but it's still kind of got some mojo. And from what everyone says, the surrounding burbs and cities actually have a lot going on. I personally wouldn't mind living in Detroit. What I don't like about the location was the climate in Michigan. Brr.

I will say this, though. Being in Detroit, you will see some crazy **** in this ED. I mean the stories the residents were telling were the best stories from the trail. And it seems like they were a big enough academic center that they got to see plenty of zebras too.

Negatives: I guess what I mentioned above. Nothing negative really stuck out for me here, but I just didn't feel like I really clicked with this program.

Other points: This doesn't affect my decision at all, but the program paid for me to stay a night at the Inn on Ferry Street, which is a bunch of converted historic homes right in downtown Detroit. It was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.

Overall: This program has a reputation of being very strong and producing outstanding emergency physicians. I just didn't feel like I fit in here very well.

I'll post this caveat before each of my reviews: I'm not really a numbers person, so I don't really remember all the details like annual number of patients seen, board pass rates, etc. etc. So, forgive me if some of my details are slightly off and feel free to correct them.

So we have typically been working 17-19 9's (with an hour overlap at each end and definite sign out) as interns. Second years work a MAX of 19, but usually more like 16-18, and 3rd years work a max of 18, but have been doing more like 14-16.

Residents: Very outgoing and talkative bunch. Interestingly, I didn't run into many PGY2s or 3s. Mostly interns at the functions I was at, so I didn't get a really strong impression of life beyond the first year. A lot of residents with kids and spouses. It also seemed as if there were a lot of people from the West Coast and mountain states and that everyone -- everyone -- was big into outdoor activities like hiking, skiing, climbing, biking, etc. Almost to the point that if you're a bit of a couch potato like me you feel somewhat left out.

We are, in general, a pretty energetic group. However, there are some in the program who enjoy things like music over outdoor activities. The common denominator is that we are all hard-working, but easy to get along with and have pursuits outside of medicine.

Faculty: Kind of an eclectic group of people, which was a really good thing to me. Interviewers talked to me about books and reading, innovation grants, and vegetarianism. They seemed to have a very diverse set of interests, and I was impressed by the number of faculty who were involved in disaster medicine and international medicine. I was also impressed by the faculty who expressly stated that they were in academic medicine so that they would be more free to practice with underserved populations. I liked the PD; he seemed laid back but also on top of things. As a matter of fact, I would say they were a pretty chill group overall. This wasn't a program that was too full of itself by any stretch.

I was also told that the faculty are incredibly responsive to resident concerns and will constantly work on the curriculum to meet resident needs.

THIS IS DEFINITELY TRUE.

I asked residents if they spent much time fraternizing with the faculty (which is something I look for in a program), and I got the sense that it wasn't as much as in some other programs.

Faculty are cool. The come to our parties, drink beers with us, climb and ride with us, etc. There are a ton of young, fun faculty members. People are accomplished by down to Earth.

Curriculum: The thing that I liked best about this curriculum was its flexibility. It seems as if students have only 17-18 shifts (8-hr) per month and are encouraged to use their free time to pursue their own academic interests. A lot of residents get involved in teaching, EMS, wilderness medicine, and disaster medicine. I think it would be kind of easy to skate by in this program if you were lazy, but I also think that if you're motivated you would have the resources and opportunities to really excel.

Facilities: Outstanding ED. Otherwise, meh.

Agreed...

Location: ABQ was a little bit of a paradox. The town itself was kind of poor and definitely had that small town feel that, if I had grown up there, I would be hell-bent on escaping. But as a transplant, I really liked the Mexican and Native American influence on the city. And there are sections of the town, like Nob Hill, that are kind of hopping. But the best thing about ABQ is the geography. You're surrounded by mountains and some of the most beautiful country in the Southwest. And I hear the weather is phenomenal pretty much year-round.

Negatives: From what I understand you don't get to ride the helicopter anymore. Is this right? Also, I was told by one of the senior residents that some of the off-service rotations aren't that great. Some people could get turned off by ABQ.

Sadly, unless you are a primary member of the crew, no helicopter -- liability reasons, they say.

Other points: This seemed like a very impoverished area. With the poverty and the Indian and Mexican populations, you get to work with a very unique population, which was attractive to me. However, being as poor as it is, I wonder if some of the residency programs suffer because of it.

I didn't get a sense that there were many opportunities for moonlighting. For example, some of the hospitals that 3rd years could moonlight at were over an hour away.

Lots of in-house and external moonlighting available, even as an intern...just get paid less.

Oh, also, they have some really great fellowships. I'm not sure how much emphasis to put on that while applying for a residency, but if I didn't want to move again, that would be a factor.

Overall: I'm not sure what I was expecting going in as I hadn't heard much about this program, but it exceeded my expectations. I loved the faculty, the emphasis on working with the neediest patients, and the flexibility of the curriculum. I'll be ranking this program in my top handful.
:)

Interview Day: Long day from 10 to 5. Interviewed with PD, Ass PD, and Clerkship Director. Dr. Lewandowski had some great stories, which was most of the interview. Seems like a really cool easy going guy. Interview with Ass PD was a bit more structured with him reading questions directly off paper. Clerkship director super chill as well, pretty much just shot the **** back and forth during the interview. Lots of fun to talk to

Residents: Seem like a very happy bunch. Most of them stated "we work very hard". But all of them said it with a smile and none of them really seemed all that burned out. They do work 20-21 10hrs shifts so I can see that being taxing. Seems like there was good camaraderie between residents. Like to go out and do some drinking.

Faculty: Many big researchers in EM. Told that they are all incredibly down to earth. And have a blast during journal club which has been anything from drinks at the attendings house, to basketball games or laser tag,.

Hospital: Absolutely loved the set up of the ED. Basically have a whole building to themselves. First floor is ED, floors above consist of ICU, Cath lab, OR specifically for emergencies. Has a very county like feel to the ED. Curtains are the separator between patients. However, have lots of funding so things like U/S are very easy to come by.

Ancillary Staff: Another huge selling point. Again you get a real county feel but have awesome support staff. Labs are done and results are back in a matter of minutes. Transport is speedy. Really impressed.

Curriculum: Def. worth noting. Very different from many other programs. Intern year is only 3 months in ED in the lower acuity tracks. With the orientation at the end of intern year. All the residents seem to love this though as it prepares them for the heavy ICU months and high acuity tracks of 2nd year. Intern year consists of Nephrology, Neuro elective (neuro ICU, neuro surg or neuro), plastics, ob, SICU, etc. 3rd year is spent in the high acuity pod. This is where you will become a hardened EM doc. You will see it all and become a master at balancing the sickest of the sick. Also cool is they send you to hawaii for a month in 3rd yr.

City: Fell in love with the city while i was there. Has a big city feel without all the traffic and congestion. Really an underrated beautiful city that gets a bad rap. Like every other big city has good areas and bad areas. But downtown is amazing. Henry ford also participates in Live downtown and Live midtown. If you rent downtown you get 2k for the first year and then like 500 every year after that. If you buy then you get 20k the first yr and like 1k every year after that. All to promote people living downtown. Again totally underrated city.

Negatives: Unsure if you are able to fly or not, seems like you might be able to but asked many people and seemed to be lots of confusion. Def seems like theyre working lots. 20-21 10hrs seems like more than most. But they didnt seem too burned out or anything.

Overall: Absolutely fell in love with the place. All the positives of a big county program. Diverse pathology, tons of procedures and trauma, constant flow of craziness, with none of the negatives, good funding and outstanding support staff. I feel like this is emergency medicine at its truest form. Managing multiple critically ill patients at once. Which is exactly what you will be doing while here. Much better to sweat as a resident than as an attending. Did a second look and fell in love with it even more. Will be ranked very highly. And really Detroit is not as bad as people say. Totally worth checking out.

Last edited:
I think the above poster is 100% accurate. Was attending at HF for 2 years. Incredible place. Leaving there was hardest decision I've ever made in my life. Had nothing to do with the hospital, everything to do with other aspects of my personal/family life. Their residents are rock stars. Anyone who matches there will be very happy and come out capable of doing anything. At my new shop everyone freaks out when there are multiple sickies at once...and I just chill and get it done because nothing shocks me after working there.

Bump.

Would be curious to hear a few more perspectives on the training here. I'm curious how it compares to "top" places like Denver, LAC, Cinci, etc.