Silence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sella Turcica17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm beginning to get very concerned. It's the end of October and I still haven't received any more than a single invite (5 rejections, awaiting to hear from 35 programs). I'm sure alot of the programs have sent out their invites by now and slots are filling up/full. I guess i'm really creating this thread to get some input from those who went through this application process last year. How late were you receiving invites for interviews? Should I really begin to panic?

I'm actually quite confused by this process. I feel as though I have a respectable application. USMLE scores >240s, COMLEX comparable scores (Im from a DO program), top 5% of my class, volunteer work, clubs, blah blah, blah. I sent my application in Sept 1, however I have been having difficulties lighting a fire under the ass of my letter writers, so my LORs were JUST added this week. Do most programs put ur app aside until its 100% complete?

Let's be honest, am I doomed?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent 84 applications (mixture of university and community programs with university affiliation) and have 4 interviews and one wait list with 11 rejections. My Step 1 was sub 200 and Step 2 CK was average score. I think we have to wait until after November 1 when the MSPE forms are submitted before a lot of the invites/rejections come out, but I really don't know. I really don't want to be relegated to a preliminary year and have to do this all over again.

I'm more than concerned, more like freaked out as the average applicant needs around 12 interviews to match, statistically speaking. I feel like I'll need 15-18.

Let's be honest, am I doomed?

No, you're not doomed. However, you are right that a lot of the invitations are already out. It's never easy to hear, but I think you need to emotionally prepare for the possibility that you won't match.

The best thing you can do now is sign up for some prelim interviews.

I sent 84 applications (mixture of university and community programs with university affiliation) and have 4 interviews and one wait list with 11 rejections. My Step 1 was sub 200 and Step 2 CK was average score. I think we have to wait until after November 1 when the MSPE forms are submitted before a lot of the invites/rejections come out, but I really don't know. I really don't want to be relegated to a preliminary year and have to do this all over again.

I'm more than concerned, more like freaked out as the average applicant needs around 12 interviews to match, statistically speaking. I feel like I'll need 15-18.

Same advice to you. A prelim year may be necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was applying I found that if I did not receive an invitation within a few days of the interview dates being posted on SDN, then I wasn't going to hear from the program, or would receive a rejection.

It's far too early to be freaking out about lack of interviews. I received invitations for interviews all the way through mid-January.

If it comes to a prelim year. don't sweat it. work hard and you'll match the second time around. I am living proof.

good luck

I am also an applicant this year and am not sure what to make of all of it.

The only thing I feel that I can add to this thread is-- don't get overwhelmed by the SDN interview invite thread. I have been watching it and get anxious when I see people post interview dates for places I have applied (and assume like the previous post that if I don't hear in a few days that I won't hear). I'll say that I have gotten interviews days to weeks after something is first posted on SDN.

If you are worried about your chances, maybe make an urgent appointment for some advising at your school about what steps to take next. Become familiar with application deadlines for your Plan B, Plan C, etc so that you can maximize your chances this year.

Good luck.

I tried the career counselor at my medical school. He said that if I didn't score a 240+ on step 2, he wouldn't feel comfortable sticking his head out for me, so I was on my own.

why don't you guys just apply to more community hospital programs. I think the deadline is November 1st, so today is the last day to do that. I think that was the best advice that I got, it just puts you in peace that you have backup programs to lean on in case you don't match in the programs you care about. Beats doing a prelim year! And I agree that some programs out there sent out interview invitations on multiple dates. I got at least 7 interview invites from schools about a week or more after they first sent out interview invites.

I just find it hard to believe that someone who scored over 240 on Step 1 will have a problem matching somewhere unless they only applied to the most competitive programs out there.

I just find it hard to believe that someone who scored over 240 on Step 1 will have a problem matching somewhere unless they only applied to the most competitive programs out there.

If you are from a US allopathic med school with a 240, and there's no red flags on your application, then you should get plenty of interviews.

However, osteopathic students and FMGs/IMGs have more of an uphill battle, and a good USMLE score isn't always enough to open a bunch of doors.

I do agree with the advice to apply to some community programs....if not already done. For applicants at a disadvantage, it's important to aim low (as sad as that sounds) and cast an intelligent net. There are a lot of community programs in the midwest that have lots of DOs and IMGs. You could also apply to some of the crappier New York programs, but usually there's a reason why they are less competitive.

I got good advice from faculty in the surgery department at my school and it made a big difference in how I applied.

To the OP, I'm not sure how your school works, but I got really great constructive advice about where to apply from each of my letter writers and from a few other faculty in the department that I worked with. I also got a lot of good advice from residents both in surgery and residents who did a prelim in general surgery.

Maybe touch base with one or more of your letter writers and ask for some recommendations. The advantage is that they know you and have already invested something in your application.

I tried the career counselor at my medical school. He said that if I didn't score a 240+ on step 2, he wouldn't feel comfortable sticking his head out for me, so I was on my own.
So, you then proceed to fail to match and this bag of manure sits back proud because they chose not to assist? They have such little faith in their own medical school education? That's insane.... Yep, you failing without his help is less dangerous then you failing with his help..... got to protect that great street credibility.:scared:

Your "career counselor" sounds like a piece of garbage.

Agree with the other posters who recommend applying more widely. Shotgun your app everywhere asap. You sound like a good applicant, but you have the DO stigma thing working against you. Not a showstopper, but you need to apply WIDELY to maximize your chances. Applying to 40 programs is apparently not enough. If you have time, get your app out to more programs.

Best of luck.

I'd specifically apply to places that already have DOs in their program. That way, you can be pretty sure that they won't automatically rule you out for being a DO.

he sounds like he stinks, unfortunately this seems to be the norm rather than the exception with DO schools - in my experience and everyone else I have talked to about it.

Shotgun it, but aiming for any realistic place in the country.

I am not sure how an advisor/counselor is "sticking their neck out" by assisting a medical student in matching. Just the opposite. They are sticking their neck out by not helping!

It is real simple to me. I would judge the medical school, mentors, and counselors based on their match success rates. A failed match does not help any career advisor. It is also hard for the advisor to say, "I had nothing to do with these failed candidates...so, I am great.".

I don't think you should worry about what your school counselor thinks anyway. If he is anything like mine, he just doesn't fully understand this process anyways and his word isn't probably worth much. I mean if he had that weight he probably wouldn't be a counselor!

...I mean if he had that weight he probably wouldn't be a counselor!
That's obvious. If he requires >240 on USMLE to get out of the chair and start working... he can't be that great. With those sort of pre-requisites, I bet he/she hasn't been involved with very many applicants...

Another adviser has been great, but has told me that I'll need to add more community programs if I'm going to match (about 60% of my apps are to community programs). After 84 apps, I've only netted 4 interviews and 1 waiting list for an interview (and my home program has said that they wouldn't rank me with a low step 1 score of 195). I don't relish making it 100, at the added cost of $400 more dollars. But, I guess it's better than not matching at all, going through a year of prelim hell, and then most likely not matching and being stuck scrambling for something, anything to go into. Why am I doing this again?

Apologies, wish you all the best, but some reality checks are in order.

Last edited:
I'm a MD, not a DO. I think you are confusing me with the OP.
Apologies, yes, my mistake.... will look back.
...my home program has said that they wouldn't rank me with a low step 1 score of 195...
If your homeprogram does not find you competitive, you need to review and your application and get a more realistic view of your over-all performance. There may very well be more little "factoids" not being considered on this forum.
... Why am I doing this again?...
That is a question you must answer. You need to suck it up and do the work to open the door. The, "once I'm there, I will really, really apply myself..." mentality is outdated.

Can you make it? Yes. I know plenty of MDs that had low USMLE and still got into surgery residency, but it was a long road. Some did research yeasr, some extra internships and prelim years, etc, etc.... All those I know that succeeded were US grad MD from top US programs that under performed... and yes, their own programs did not seriously consider them.