Helo Please. Advice needed urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liveforit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got into UPENN. I want to be a dentist. But I am aware that getting into Dental School is not easy.

1. Soo, I've heard thousands of ppl's opinions of what majors to take.
Some say take Bio major because it will help you most on the DAT

2. Some say take any science major because it will help and you have more choice.

3. Some say to take an engineering major (chemical or biological) because it will help one stand out, AND give one a fall back career if not accepted into dental school

4. and Some also say to take business major because it will help with starting ones own practice

My question is, which one of these rumors is correct? Should I take a fall back major in case I do not get into dental school? or should I take a science major and assume that I will get in if I try hard?

Plz help. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

well start out taking the basic pre-req like chem 101, calc 1 at least during your first semester, go in undecided and as you get exposure to more science you will be able to decide, dont worry about what you major in so much just worry about doing WELL.

Members don't see this ad :)
^What he/she said. Most importantly, make sure you do well in your classes (especially the pre-reqs) regardless if your major is business, ceramics, or astro physics.

I just got into UPENN. I want to be a dentist. But I am aware that getting into Dental School is not easy.

2. Some say take any science major because it will help and you have more choice.

3. Some say to take an engineering major (chemical or biological) because it will help one stand out, AND give one a fall back career if not accepted into dental school

4. and Some also say to take business major because it will help with starting ones own practice

My question is, which one of these rumors is correct? Should I take a fall back major in case I do not get into dental school? or should I take a science major and assume that I will get in if I try hard?

Hey livefort,

I went to an ivy league undergraduate program so I think I can probably help you a little. First, you should consider these:

1. As a freshman, I remember I barely had an idea about dentistry. I had some ideas about what it might be, but I found that as I got older, what I fantasized about dentistry and what it really was got closer..through shadowing, through finding out online, talking to other people (mentors, advisors..etc). So my point is, you probably don't have the sufficient knowledge to decide whether you really want to be a dentist. (just like changing majors many times over the first two years or so). If you have a family member close to you who's a dentist and grew up seeing him practice a lot, then you might be on the right track about dentistry.

2. Penn is a great school. They have a great reputation on business/econ. If there's a slight chance that you are thinking about going into business, consulting, i-banking, etc, then I would consider majoring in business. As a penn student majoring in econ, you will have no disadvantage compared to other students. The question you want to ask is, can you do as well, or better if you majored in econ than other majors in terms of GPA? The best advice I can give you is...choose a major that you want to do, and from which you would get a good GPA (if you want to be a dentist for sure). If there's a chance that you might like doing something else (engineering, business), keep exploring. Taking different classes, talking to others about careers (mentors in other industries...), asking upperclassmen.

3. Keep thinking deep about what motivates you to be a dentist. If the monetary reason is bigger than say....treating patients with your hands (simply speaking), it will disappoint you. Penn graduates in other areas do so much better financially. Think about what sorts of activities or aspects of careers would make you happy.

good luck~

These guys hit it right on the head. Do well in college. Dont worry about picking a major for dental school - you just need to do the prereqs for this. You do need a four year degree but I think you should pick somthing that you can do well in and that interests you.

I would look into business because you can keep a high gpa and have a practical four year degree from a good college when you're done. Around junior year after finishing your prereqs you can see if you're still interested in dentistry - no pressure because you have a terminal degree. I cant tell you how many people burn out of premed/dent type majors.

neu·rot·ic-

adj.
1. Of, relating to, or affected with a neurosis. No longer in scientific use.
2. Informal Overanxious: neurotic about punctuality.
n.
1. A person suffering from a neurosis. No longer in scientific use.
2. Informal A person prone to excessive anxiety and emotional upset.

1. This isn't urgent. You're a high school senior for Christ's sake. You have at least a year(probably two) to switch around majors until you find something you like.

2. Majors really don't play a part in whether a dental school will accept you. Yes, the majority of students major in bio, but if you actually look at percentages of bio majors who apply vs who get in and compare that with other majors, it is actually lower than a lot of other majors(albeit it's a small difference.)

3. That said, major in something you enjoy. If you're not a science freak, maybe look elsewhere. In dental school you won't really be flexible, you'll be taking mostly all science. If you have another interest, take it now, as it will probably be the last chance you get in your life.

4. Bio majors probably have it the easiest though because the pre-reqs overlap nicely with a bio degree requirement. Other majors may allow you to have a higher GPA, but it could be hard to get all of those courses in and stay on track. I know some business majors who are having to take bio/o-chem/accounting right now, and that is no fun at all. Also, engineering usually has the lowest GPA's, as some of the courses are insanely hard.

5. For freshman year, go in undecided. Take some core classes, maybe a business pre-req to see if that's you, and general chem. I was orignially going to do business, but although I was good at economics, it just didn't interest me in the slightest. I had no idea going in(and didn't until now, first semester of sophomore year), and I'm still ahead of pace to graduate.

Good luck

Well, none of those rumors are "correct" let me get into each one.

#1) True, biology major does help in every aspect (in DAT, and most likely best prepares you for dental school).... However, it is NOT a requirement to be a biology major... Most important undergrad aspect of getting into dental school is how high your GPA and science-GPA is

#2) Well, any science major does NOT increase your chances of getting into dental school, again... Most important undergrad aspect of getting into dental school is how high your GPA and science-GPA is

#3) Engineering, physics, biology, history, english, chemistry, religious studies, psycology, sociology, etc etc are all GOOD majors as long as.... again, you understand that the...Most important undergrad aspect of getting into dental school is how high your GPA and science-GPA is

#4) This is just silly. I don't believe an undergrad (or masters level) education is going to help (or train) you run and manage your own practice. This is a trait thats learned through experience, not by education.

Anyways, I hope you understand the theme here. Your GPAs are what matter when it comes to dental school admissions (NOT your major). Yes a biology major makes the most sense, however it is NOT a requirement nor is it looked upon more favorably.

Pick a college major that you enjoy (it does NOT have to be science based), as long as you take your usual pre-dental courses, top it off with about 3-5 upper level biologies like Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Histology, Physiology (I personally like them in this order).... PLEASE make sure you do well in all those courses (anything at or about 3.5 is considered "good").

Good luck on whatever you decide

Ok, but WONT SCIENCE MAJORS HELP YOU OUT on the DAT?

IF I majored in chem or bio, Wouldnt it be killing to birds with one rock? and getting finished both my prereqs AND my major?

Thank you.

IF I majored in chem or bio, Wouldnt it be killing to birds with one rock? and getting finished both my prereqs AND my major?

Thank you.

No. You are going to take the pre-reqs if you major bio/chem/business/psych etc. Everything thats tested on the DAT is BASIC pre-req.

I would also argue that there is NO benefit in acing the bio section if you are a biology major. Biology section of the DAT is an absolute crapshoot. Theres also no benefit when it comes to chem/orgo, because its SO basic. You don't need pchem/achem, and who knows what kind of chem to ace it. I would argue that your high school AP text book is good enough for chem.

You are therefore left with two options: A) Major in science or B)Major in something you like and take some upper div bios for "fun".

Regardless of the outcome, you need to relax. You will absolutely die with this kind of anxiety, HELP!, attitude over the next four years. Relax man, college is the time of your life:laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. Keep thinking deep about what motivates you to be a dentist. If the monetary reason is bigger than say....treating patients with your hands (simply speaking), it will disappoint you. Penn graduates in other areas do so much better financially. Think about what sorts of activities or aspects of careers would make you happy.

good luck~

Dentists are one of the highest paid professions in the US. What other jobs pay more? I do not know many Penn graduates that make over 150K, do you? if so, what are the careers that they chose?

This is absolutely ridiculous. It is none of our damn business why the OP wants to go into dentistry. It is out of the scope of this thread to try to debate the OP's motivations.

I hate how this pre-dental forum is full of people frawning upon the concept of making money and having it be a motivation toward a profession.

Thank you.

Not exactly, the only advantage of being a biology major (vs others major) in regards to the DAT is really the biology section, every other section is kind of an entity on its own. I am going to guess that the difference between being a biology major vs non-biology major is 2-4 points (like the difference between a 19 or a 23 in biology), its really not all THAT significant when it comes to your AA. Personally, I would not pick a biology major JUST FOR THE SOLE purpose of DAT.

What are you suggesting with this "killing two birds with one rock"? You will still need to study for the DAT pretty much the same way as if you weren't a science major. The DAT sciences are not difficult, as matter of fact, they are the most basic forms of sciences, even easier (more simplified) than the actual pre-dental classes.... The problem however, is the mental psyche and the fact that the DAT is more than just sciences, its also got a perceptual part, math part, and a reading part. Some people (if not all) get a little nervous about the test, and to be honest, its a pretty big deal. Doing "well" has many definitions, some think a 19AA is good enough, while others think anything less than 21AA is simply unacceptable and this just puts extra pressure on the student.

Moral of the story, doing well in the DAT (especially the sciences) isn't so much dictated by your major so much as its related to how well you discipline yourself and prepare.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, but there is just no way. that someone who majored in bio or chem, could score lower than someone who didnt. right? becuause the other person is so knowledgeable in that area, he should score better. You make it sound like the DAT is so easy. just high school sciences and reading, etc.

Most people have to prep for the DAT. I would go out on a limb and say your prep determines your score more than your major. With all the prep materials out there you're going to be a master of the basics & well.

The majority of what you learn as a science major will NOT be tested on the DAT. Therefore it is possible to be more knowedgable in biology as a bio major and still score less than a music major who memorized all the facts from a prep book and the intro to biology course that is a prereq for dental school.

If you love science then major in science but dont think it's the key to scoring high on the DAT.

yes, but there is just no way. that someone who majored in bio or chem, could score lower than someone who didnt. right? becuause the other person is so knowledgeable in that area, he should score better. You make it sound like the DAT is so easy. just high school sciences and reading, etc.

:confused::confused::confused: Jeez, what planet do you come from. When I was in high school going to college, I was more concerned about girls and partying. You seem to be fixated on the DAT which most students start WORRYING in their junior/senior year.:confused::confused::confused:

Relax. And this is the last post on the DAT subject. The DAT is BASIC. It's more about how you study for it and what PREP materials you use. I guarantee you, you will not remember most of the stuff in your gen classes unless its something unique. Most people review the material and take the test after three months. And I know people that have scored better then me, 24 AA, and guess what...they aren't science majors.

Relax and welcome to earth. -_-

you'd be surprised.

This "knowledgeable" idea you speak of makes perfect sense in theory, but in reality, the stuff tested on the DAT are stuffs that... you learn today and forget in 3-6 months. I scored a respectable 22TS on the DAT 1 year ago...... if I were to take the DAT tomorrow without any preparation, Im lucky to hit a 18TS....and mind you, I am was very "knowledgeable" when it came to my sciences.

My point is, the stuff you learn in undergrad, most of it at least, will be forgotten when you start re-studying for the DAT (about 1 to 2 years after the pre-dental classes).... this is why a strong work ethic and desipline has a lot more impact on your DAT than your major.

And when I did it make it seem that "the DAT is so easy. just high school sciences and reading"....... I never said its easy, I said its a simplified version compared to the pre-dental courses... And I also made sure to explain why the DAT is a stressful test, its got too many components that need to be mastered at the same time as the sciences....

I think your effort is best directed toward building a strong undergrad GPA. DAT is the easy part, its the GPA thats an application killer if you let it fall. Think about it, it takes 4-5 whole years to build a strong GPA, but only 1-3 months to build a strong DAT score. Focus all your energy into that GPA (IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT MAJOR YOU GO INTO), then when the time comes, you can come back to SDN and we can give you advice on how to prepare for the DAT.

Last edited:
So major in whatever you want and maintain a high gpa? and then take the pre reqs and get a good DAT score and ur in?

So major in whatever you want and maintain a high gpa? and then take the pre reqs and get a good DAT score and ur in?

baby steps my friend, baby steps. First get into college, start taking some pre-dental courses, see how you do in them, then we can start talking about "guarantees" into dental school

I'm an economics major. I chose econ so I could fall back into business if I were to eventually decide medicine was not for me. I'm good at econ -- the math and logical thinking comes naturally to me, and the classes are not demanding at all at my school if you have a "mathy" mind. However, if I were to do it again I'd be a psychology major.

Psychology has always interested me. I didn't take the intro class because it's a business pre-req and a psych weed-out class, so the curve is brutal and I didn't want to hurt my GPA. In hindsight, I probably would've done well and I could've pursued a major I really enjoyed.

Don't think about how hard your major is going to be. The science pre-reqs for dental school really aren't that bad, and if you're the type of kid who's going to plan for dental school the winter before he goes to college, I'm sure you'll do well enough in any major you choose.

As others have said, you should test the waters in different types of classes. Knock off chem and calc and take two other intro level classes for two separate majors you might enjoy.

Then build your alcohol tolerance for the coming year.

this thread makes me laugh out loud..the OP (and a few other ppl here) has no idea wut he is talkin about and is so easily influenced by others...lol i love it

keep this going guys :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is absolutely ridiculous. It is none of our damn business why the OP wants to go into dentistry. It is out of the scope of this thread to try to debate the OP's motivations.

Why one wants to go into dentistry is probably one of the most important factors to think about when you are deciding on your career path. A high school student asks for career advice, I told him what my mentors told me: think about factors and aspects in your career that would make you happy. An interviewer asks you why you want to be a dentist, and you say "money is my primary reason; the reason they might frown upon you is not because they don't like people motivated by money, but because they know you wouldn't be happy in the long-term, if that was the primary reason.

Why one wants to go into dentistry is probably one of the most important factors to think about when you are deciding on your career path. A high school student asks for career advice, I told him what my mentors told me: think about factors and aspects in your career that would make you happy. An interviewer asks you why you want to be a dentist, and you say "money is my primary reason; the reason they might frown upon you is not because they don't like people motivated by money, but because they know you wouldn't be happy in the long-term, if that was the primary reason.

It seems to me you missed the OP's initial posting, I am going to quote it below, and highlight WHAT THE OP WAS ASKING (in blue).

Clearly, the OP has already made up his/her mind on dentistry (good for them), he is now asking for ways to make himself most competitive for the dental application process..... In NONE of his questions/concerns did he talk about or ask motivational factors towards this field. So why are you brining up a topic not asked nor covered by the OP's initial posting?!?!

Ridiculous yes, but highly entertaining. I love all the little soap boxes that come out that may or may not relate to the OP.

Dental Works hit it on the head with some seriously honest (and true) advice. The reality with gpa and DAT are absolute truth. It's a bar everyone in every major has to hop over, nobody gets off easy.

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE GPA AND DAT, dental school is a big enough world where you can get in no matter what major you choose. And anyone can rock the DAT, even non-sci majors like me =). You can probably shave off a semester or two if you find a bio-esque major (here it's "exercise science"), but you're better off majoring in whatever is more enjoyable/fun/interesting. Majoring in something you don't enjoy is ******ed.