Getting vet experience (question about going about that)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dogcat1290

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm offically on winter break and I really want to get some vet hours in. Should I call the vet's office, or just walk in and ask? Should I have a resume? I read some of the other threads on this and saw that some vets won't let you volunteer with them because of lilability. Should I ask to shadow them? Who should I talk to the vet or the receptionist? Lol I want to be prepared before I start asking around 😳..
 
-go to the "search this forum" tool on the top of the threads. ....

- type in "vet experience"

- "hit return"

- read some of the many excellent threads discussing this. your question is answered nicely with many suggestions in a number of those threads.
 
Last edited:
I just called all the clinics in my area when I was looking for someone to volunteer/shadow with. The receptionist may or may not know the vet's policy on students coming in, but if they don't, they can usually let you leave a message for the veterinarian.

Heads up - don't call just one place! It can take awhile for them to get back to you, if they do at all. If you have a veterinarian that you take your pets to, start with them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it is just during break, just inquire about shadowing. It took me about six weeks to find a vet willing to allow me to come in. I was told on here to go to each clinic and hand in a resume. After doing this for a while and not getting a call back I decided to start emailing clinics.

I was able to find the personal email of the veterinarian at one clinic and he responded immediately and I have been working there ever since. I think alot of the issues with never getting a call back stem from the fact that the resume is never given to the vet in the first place. I was a little nervous about sending out emails since it is less personal but it actually proved to be the reason I got into a clinic.