Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's early...give it a month and you'll have a number of responses.
Congrats on being set already-it's a good feeling! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. I'm sold on Hopkins. Couldn't take the suspense of waiting on Harvard and Columbia, so I just went ahead and paid the darn deposit. The deciding factor: I really want to stay in a dorm room with the med students. How fun! If you're going to be my classmate, please feel free to PM me so we can be friends going into the (full-time) program. Thanks!

Oh, I'm planning to go into Population, Family and Reproductive health with a MCH certificate:) You?

Thanks!
Hello... I was also admitted to Johns Hopkins!! I'm so excited. The thing is I haven't seen the fedex acceptance letter so I don't known how to proceed from now. I checked my applyyourself site and I saw that I had been accepted. I've submitted the enrolment form but I haven't paid yet.I'm waiting for the other schools I applied to especially Harvard!

Hi guys, I have actually not been admitted to Hopkins yet (crossing my fingers) I just actually applied for the MSPH in the Population, Family and Reproductive Health Department (they have a May deadline), but I have a question. If there are any missing documents (GRE scores, transcripts) where do they notify you? Is it under the details section? I imagine that since I just submitted the application that it would not say anything yet in this section, but I just wanted to make sure that I am looking in the right place. Thanks.

Hello... I was also admitted to Johns Hopkins!! I'm so excited. The thing is I haven't seen the fedex acceptance letter so I don't known how to proceed from now. I checked my applyyourself site and I saw that I had been accepted. I've submitted the enrolment form but I haven't paid yet.I'm waiting for the other schools I applied to especially Harvard!

Do you mind sharing your stats? and what department you were admitted to at Johns Hopkins?

Hi guys, I have actually not been admitted to Hopkins yet (crossing my fingers) I just actually applied for the MSPH in the Population, Family and Reproductive Health Department (they have a May deadline), but I have a question. If there are any missing documents (GRE scores, transcripts) where do they notify you? Is it under the details section? I imagine that since I just submitted the application that it would not say anything yet in this section, but I just wanted to make sure that I am looking in the right place. Thanks.

Never mind, they updated it today (I guess it was because I needed to wait a little bit). It was right under the notifications for recommendations.

For those who've heard from Hopkins, did you hear anything about financial aid yet?

Hello everyone, I have been accepted to and will be attending the Johns Hopkins MHA program. I am very excited about JHU and it was by far my number one choice. I have started looking into where to live but there are so many options that it can be hard to sift through. What area of the city are ya'll thinking about living in?

Hello everyone, I have been accepted to and will be attending the Johns Hopkins MHA program. I am very excited about JHU and it was by far my number one choice. I have started looking into where to live but there are so many options that it can be hard to sift through. What area of the city are ya'll thinking about living in?

Reed hall!

I'm also applying for a MSPH in PFRH. Now that it's been updated does yours say that you are missing any documents? Mine says that they don't have my test scores or my transcripts but they were sent in November and October respectfully. I know it probably takes a minute to put together everyone's applications but I'm still a little nervous that maybe I sent that stuff way too early compared to my app and they won't be able to find it. Sigh... I'm just freaking out

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying for a MSPH in PFRH. Now that it's been updated does yours say that you are missing any documents? Mine says that they don't have my test scores or my transcripts but they were sent in November and October respectfully. I know it probably takes a minute to put together everyone's applications but I'm still a little nervous that maybe I sent that stuff way too early compared to my app and they won't be able to find it. Sigh... I'm just freaking out
Good to see their are others still applying and much more to same program and department...:)

Ha ha, funny enough. I am in the same situation. I sent my transcripts from college way back in November, and then one summer class transcript about a week ago. So I am guessing that they still need to locate it. I read in the application submission confirmation email that if you sent your documents way ahead of time to still give it 2 weeks time. Since your application had not yet been submitted. Let me copy and paste what it said. But I was definitely freaking out too. But then I thought let me wait 2 weeks and then call them since that's what they recommend.
This is from the email they sent after applying.
Status of Application and Supporting Documents
You can check on the status of your application and supporting documents via your online application account by logging back in here. Supporting documents (transcripts, test scores, letter of recommendation, etc.) may take as long as two weeks after arrival in the admissions office to be entered and appear in your online application record. If you have applied for admission to JHSPH before or if you sent your documents ahead of time, it still may take up to two weeks for those documents to be entered into your record (note: the admissions office only retains application documents for two academic years; you may be asked to re-submit official documents). If you have any concerns after two weeks from the confirmation of delivery of documents to our office, you may email the admissions office at [email protected].

Yeah...I know it says wait two weeks. But I want to know it's complete NOW haha. Because the unknown sucks. This grad school limbo is the worst. I've lost all of my fingernails to my treacherous teeth.

Yeah...I know it says wait two weeks. But I want to know it's complete NOW haha. Because the unknown sucks. This grad school limbo is the worst. I've lost all of my fingernails to my treacherous teeth.

Ha ha, hang it there. Two weeks will be there before you know it. Hopefully everything will clear up by then. At least that's what I am hoping for. But you are right, this whole waiting process is difficult..

Would you mind sharing your stats? I've also applied to the MHA program (I have an interview coming up) and I'm quite nervous! Did you go through the interview process? Congrats!!

Gladifimake it I'm glad you made it into Hopkins. Did you say Reed hall? Have you been secured an accommodation yet? I'm an international student so I think I have to plan fast cause I heard that obtaining the I-20 form involves a lot of steps! Also I'll like to know how safe Baltimore is? Much as I'm from a third world country, we never hear anything about a drive by shooting or people getting mugged and I read a post earlier in this forum about people getting mugged in Baltimore?

Ha ha, hang it there. Two weeks will be there before you know it. Hopefully everything will clear up by then. At least that's what I am hoping for. But you are right, this whole waiting process is difficult..

Tell me about it!! I checked my applyyourself site every single day and subscribed to a mobile data bundle just for it! I didn't wait the required two weeks when my application status still said not received after I had sent my documents! I sent mails to the department and they always replied back to confirm the receipt of my documents.... And a good thing about Hopkins is that they trace your documents easily. I sent my Gre scores in February and didn't apply to the school till October and they were still able to locate my scores easily... So just hang in there guys and don't loose faith!

Tell me about it!! I checked my applyyourself site every single day and subscribed to a mobile data bundle just for it! I didn't wait the required two weeks when my application status still said not received after I had sent my documents! I sent mails to the department and they always replied back to confirm the receipt of my documents.... And a good thing about Hopkins is that they trace your documents easily. I sent my Gre scores in February and didn't apply to the school till October and they were still able to locate my scores easily... So just hang in there guys and don't loose faith!

Yeah it is hard waiting, and I don't blame you for getting mobile data bundle. I am at my computer all day so I constantly check. Good thinking, I think I will email them too. Is it this email address [email protected] ? Thanks.

I've just got the admission from JHSPH (MPH 2011, infectious diseases). Does anyone know when the deadline of admission decision reply is? Thanks and good luck to everyone here. :luck:

Gladifimake it I'm glad you made it into Hopkins. Did you say Reed hall? Have you been secured an accommodation yet? I'm an international student so I think I have to plan fast cause I heard that obtaining the I-20 form involves a lot of steps! Also I'll like to know how safe Baltimore is? Much as I'm from a third world country, we never hear anything about a drive by shooting or people getting mugged and I read a post earlier in this forum about people getting mugged in Baltimore?

I've never been to Baltimore in my life so I really don't know much about the City. Safety concerns me too so I am staying in Reed Hall. I understand it is very close to the school and has a security presence.

For those who've heard from Hopkins, did you hear anything about financial aid yet?
Well, I'm an international student and I'm guessing I won't be eligible for much financial aid. So no I haven't heard anything about that. But I was told that their scholarship decisions will be available from March.

Yeah it is hard waiting, and I don't blame you for getting mobile data bundle. I am at my computer all day so I constantly check. Good thinking, I think I will email them too. Is it this email address [email protected] ? Thanks.

It's [email protected]. You should also try emailing someone at the program you are applying into directly. I realised that contacting the MPH program coordinator elicited a faster response than the admission office!

Hey everyone,

Firstly congratulations to all those who got accepted :)

I need to know if anyone has appeared for the JH MHA Prog interview and how has it been ??

What are the chances like if you've been called for an interview ?

Also, is there anyone who is interviewing at Umich and Minnesota soon for the MHA Programs ?

Thanks

Do you mind sharing your stats? and what department you were admitted to at
Sorry for the late reply. I'm an international student. With an MBBS degree
GRE V 640, Q680, AW3.5
Toefl 102
GPA 3.31 undergrad
Submitted JHU: 30th/ 1st of Dec
Submitted SOPHAS:11/11/2010
Mailed: 17/11/2010 ( without my transcripts)
Transcripts submitted: 9/12/2010
Applied to : JHU, Harvard, Emory, Univ of Texas and Univ of Minnesota.
Accepted: JHU, uni of Texas and Minnesota
Awaiting: Harvard and Emory.

Lol I can't believe I'm finally posting my stats after stalking this forum for zoo long and feeling that my GRE score esp the quantitative part was poor!
Over 2 years work experience as a physician in s Tertiary hospital, currently work for the navy, I have conducted numerous community development projects in the rural village where I was posted. Have interned with the World Health Organisation and PEPFAR..
Also involved in other voluntary organisations while in medical school

I've just got the admission from JHSPH (MPH 2011, infectious diseases). Does anyone know when the deadline of admission decision reply is? Thanks and good luck to everyone here. :luck:

My letter from FEDEX states deadline April,15 2011. Also got accepted into MPH (general) in JHU. But would think it applies to all MPH.

Regards.

I am a current Hopkins student, and also felt a lot of anxiety about moving to Baltimore for safety reasons. If dorm life is your thing, then by all means go for it..but don't feel like you need to stay on campus to feel safe. I am currently in Mt. Vernon and love it.. I feel safe but take certain precautions like not walking too far at night by myself, etc. The Hopkins shuttle picks up in Mt. Vernon so it's also very convenient. There are a lot of great restaurants, bars and shops all within walking distance in Mt. Vernon..which is definitely not the case with Homewood campus area. It's also great to live by Penn Station for when you want to take the train to DC or NYC... Fells Point is also a fun area but can be more expensive. Hope that helps.

It's [email protected]. You should also try emailing someone at the program you are applying into directly. I realised that contacting the MPH program coordinator elicited a faster response than the admission office!

Thanks for the advice, I emailed the contact from the department and she was very helpful. She actually responded almost immediately, and was able to find out that my transcripts had been received.

I also checked the application website recently and found that I was accepted to the Department of International Health. No word on funding yet, but would appreciate it if others posted when they hear back!

I'm really in favor for JHU for global health, but am super worried about the costs.

After two weeks of not logging into my Hopkins application, I finally decided to take a peak and got awesome news. General MPH. WOot. Now gotta figure out the costs.

Oh and PS, I've emailed the program coordinator about this, but for anyone who has an idea in this forum, how are job prospects for MPH students from Bloomberg who don't have dual degrees such as an MD/PhD???

I applied to the MHS program in Epidemiology at Hopkins. I see many people are hearing back from the MPH program... Did anyone else apply to the MHS program? Any news or idea when we should expect to hear?

Hey Guys!I am applying to MHA fall 2011 My TOEFL scores are 94 and am a permanent resident but I took my undergrad outside US.I have two years healthcare consulting experience in the US.The minimum score required is 100. will my application be rejected?please help!:-(

I applied to the MHS program in Epidemiology at Hopkins. I see many people are hearing back from the MPH program... Did anyone else apply to the MHS program? Any news or idea when we should expect to hear?

I applied to the MHS program in Epi and haven't heard back yet. Its been ages. I think going on 9 weeks since I submitted and 6 weeks since sent to the committee for review.

Hey Everyone,
I applied to the MHA program at the end of january and I just got an email back requesting an interview. Has anyone gone through the interview process yet with Hopkins for the MHA? I'd really appreciate some advice or a heads up on what type of questions they ask. Also, has anyone been accepted into the fall 2011 MHA program yet? Just curious to see who else I might be taking classes with if everything goes well. Good luck to everyone with applications.

Hi, I was wondering when we should expect to hear something about financial aid and Sommer Scholars Program? Has anyone heard anything in regards to financial aid?

I was also admitted to JHU for the MSPH In International Health. Very excited!

Hey everyone!

I will begin the Population, Family & Reproductive Health MSPH program this coming fall... focusing on Child & Adolescent Health. I am very excited!

GladifIMakeIt: I'm also hoping to live in Reed --- perhaps we will be flatmates, eh? :)

how much does on-campus housing cost? I'm not so keen on how one side of Reed hall doesn't have kitchens (do i have this right?), or doesn't allow hot plates, or something.

Is it so dangerous for a single female with no car (international student) to live a few blocks off campus? I may get a bike, but my mom thinks I'm going to be a victim of a drive-by. I keep reading that this campus with bloomberg and the medical school is in a particularly high-crime area. also, how easy would it be to find a studio apartment right off campus (again, no more than a block or two)?

in addition, i need to find something inexpensive, as i'm pooor:oops::rolleyes::cool:

by the way, I've been accepted to JHU International Health
i'm excited beyond words!!!

Last edited:
I currently live in Baltimore City and frankly am a little offended with all of these "safety concerns." Baltimore City is no more or less "dangerous" than other cities in the US, especially those with large impoverished populations. I find it interesting that more people are concerned with random acts of violence towards them here than in places like New York or DC.

Crime in the United States is sadly often aligned with poverty (and thus race). The main intent of Johns Hopkins being placed in inner city Baltimore was to give the opportunity of excellent health care access to people who did not have it, and while JHUs history with East Baltimore's inhabitants is a bit contentious, the original intent is still there.

If having to walk among and through places of extreme poverty really worries any of you that much, I suggest going to a school in the suburbs. Living in Reed Hall isn't going to save you.

I'm also sorry if this is a bit snippy. But seriously, some people have been watching too much of the Wire.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

I will begin the Population, Family & Reproductive Health MSPH program this coming fall... focusing on Child & Adolescent Health. I am very excited!

GladifIMakeIt: I'm also hoping to live in Reed --- perhaps we will be flatmates, eh? :)

Nice! I am doing general mph but hope to pursue the concentration in women's and reproductive health:) Yep, would be fun to be flatmates. Let's keep in touch.

i don't know all the factors affecting incidence of crime-- sure, poverty is one, and so are drugs and the ownership of guns. i think the city's ranking as second highest crime rate in the U.S. is what instigated my concerns.
how interesting that you're offended by bona fide concerns about choosing parts of town that are generally safer for, say, single females.
but it's good to know that you currently live there and don't find it really any different from other major cities. i've done new york and a few other cities in the u.s. and have survived albeit with a few close calls
and good point about the benefits of johns hopkins' location in the inner city-- what grand opportunities there!

I currently live in Baltimore City and frankly am a little offended with all of these "safety concerns." Baltimore City is no more or less "dangerous" than other cities in the US, especially those with large impoverished populations. I find it interesting that more people are concerned with random acts of violence towards them here than in places like New York or DC.

Crime in the United States is sadly often aligned with poverty (and thus race). The main intent of Johns Hopkins being placed in inner city Baltimore was to give the opportunity of excellent health care access to people who did not have it, and while JHUs history with East Baltimore's inhabitants is a bit contentious, the original intent is still there.

If having to walk among and through places of extreme poverty really worries any of you that much, I suggest going to a school in the suburbs. Living in Reed Hall isn't going to save you.

I'm also sorry if this is a bit snippy. But seriously, some people have been watching too much of the Wire.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the case for every degree program at Bloomberg, but for the MSPH my acceptance letter stated that most students do not receive financial awards beyond the 75% tuition decrease 2nd year. Does anyone know about any opportunities in JH to decrease tuition for our 1st year as well?

I don't know if this is the case for every degree program at Bloomberg, but for the MSPH my acceptance letter stated that most students do not receive financial awards beyond the 75% tuition decrease 2nd year. Does anyone know about any opportunities in JH to decrease tuition for our 1st year as well?

That seems to be the case... exceptions may be working for someone who has a research grant and can support you.

Actually, I do wonder about teaching assistantships. Does anyone know if these ever go to Masters students at JHSP?

Last edited:
i don't know all the factors affecting incidence of crime-- sure, poverty is one, and so are drugs and the ownership of guns. i think the city's ranking as second highest crime rate in the U.S. is what instigated my concerns.
how interesting that you're offended by bona fide concerns about choosing parts of town that are generally safer for, say, single females.
but it's good to know that you currently live there and don't find it really any different from other major cities. i've done new york and a few other cities in the u.s. and have survived albeit with a few close calls
and good point about the benefits of johns hopkins' location in the inner city-- what grand opportunities there!

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/02/16/the-11-most-dangerous-cities

This is from the FBI report released a few days ago, and yet I see very few people "concerned" about going to Emory. And I am a single female.

That seems to be the case... exceptions may be working for someone who has a research grant and can support you.

Actually, I do wonder about teaching assistantships. Does anyone know if these ever go to Masters students at JHSP?

I would also love to know the answer to this question!

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/02/16/the-11-most-dangerous-cities

This is from the FBI report released a few days ago, and yet I see very few people "concerned" about going to Emory. And I am a single female.

I think before you go offending people you should maybe take a look at the LOCATION of other schools before throwing statements like that around. Living in Baltimore can, like most other major cities, be dangerous. So can Atlanta. And NY, and LA. The list goes on. The DIFFERENCE is JHSPH is NOT in the most desirable area. If you have ever visited Emory you would know its located in the suburbs. While there is a chance of crime everywhere (cities, small towns, and farms included) some areas definitely have a higher rates of violence and crimes.
I think it's ignorant to ignore factors like crime when deciding on a place to live. Everyone has a different opinion on what is acceptable to them. Berating people for asking these questions doesn't really help the situation or make the city look any better.

On a sidenote: Most of the major cities on the "lists" that go out are highly affected by gang violence/crimes etc. While there are times that this does affect other populations generally unless you end up in an area you don't want to be or don't take simple safety precautions you *should* be fine. I lived in one city that was atop many lists for a few years and in the great state of NJ that houses Camden, former most dangerous city.

Last edited: