Pharmacists Taxes In New York State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humbeez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating this may from pharm school and I signed on with a retail chain for 93K/yr for a guaranteed minimim of 32 h/wk [~114K with 40 h/wk]. I am single, rent, and have no children.

How much can I expect to pay in taxes in NYS. I heard that it is somewhere around 40%. Is this true? If so, will I pay this AND end up owing at tax time?

Is there anything I can do now that will decrease me from getting penalized so much with taxes. Is owning a home purely for tax purposes really worth it? And from your experience is investing in a accountant worth it?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wait, let me get this straight... You haven't even graduated from pharmacy school yet and you have a job? REALLY????!!!!!

Man oh man, the sky is truly falling.

to address your post:

You're single, so you're going to file separately.

In NYS, your tax rate will be $973 plus 6.85% on of the excess >$40,000. So, for argument's sake, (93000-40000) = 53000(*.0685)=(3630.50+973)= $4603.50 for state taxes. A far cry from 40% though. If the state alone took 40% of your gross, you'd be broke by the time Uncle Sam and all the welfare babies got their cut.

You didn't ask about federal but it seems like a good idea to combine the two so on $93,000 income; 21.24% of it will be taxed, (.2124*93000)=$19,749.

Total tax; (19749 + 4604[rounded for ease of calc]) = $24353 on your $93000, which puts the total taxed at about 26%.

Your brackets don't change even if you're up to the projected $114,000 in your OP, since your state bracket is held steady at that % if income >$40,000 and you're fine on the 28% federal bracket until you surpass $171,000 (IIRC). So you can calculate @ 114k.

On top of that, you'll have OASDI and all that garbage too that'll be cut out of your cash money. Plus any 401(k) contribs, IRA contribs, employee health packages, etc.

Decreased penalties? Well, you can get some exemptions. A house tax credit would be nice, but you really should consult an accountant or at least a tax professional (Does not necessarily need to be a CPA...) about that. I'm definitely no expert on the matter. I have a CPA and have gone to her since I was 19 filing a 1040-EZ! It makes life easier IMO.

Congrats on the job. I guess you're the one lucky pharmacy student who will be employed while the rest of your class lines up at the soup kitchen.

Thank for your detailed reply.

Yes they signed us on late last year. My area is saturated , but people are still getting jobs and residency. There are a some that I know of that are having trouble finding jobs too. I've been with my company a few years too. I am definitely worried about the future and pay going down with the surplus tho. But I am happy to have a job and start paying off loans.

Anyway, I said state, but I meant all together (federal + state) So you answered my question.

"In NYS, your tax rate will be $973 plus 6.85% on of the excess >$40,000. So, for argument's sake, (93000-40000) = 53000(*.0685)=(3630.50+973)= $4603.50 for state taxes. A far cry from 40% though. If the state alone took 40% of your gross, you'd be broke by the time Uncle Sam and all the welfare babies got their cut. (How do you know this, where can find this information? besides the IRS website, which isnt all that helpful to me)

You didn't ask about federal but it seems like a good idea to combine the two so on $93,000 income; 21.24% of it will be taxed, (.2124*93000)=$19,749.

Total tax; (19749 + 4604[rounded for ease of calc]) = $24353 on your $93000, which puts the total taxed at about 26%."

I thought the tax bracket was 28% for federal, plus state taxes would bring it to about 35-40% withheld.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where in NY are you talking about? Near the city?

Thank for your detailed reply.

Yes they signed us on late last year. My area is saturated , but people are still getting jobs and residency. There are a some that I know of that are having trouble finding jobs too. I've been with my company a few years too. I am definitely worried about the future and pay going down with the surplus tho. But I am happy to have a job and start paying off loans.

Anyway, I said state, but I meant all together (federal + state) So you answered my question.

"In NYS, your tax rate will be $973 plus 6.85% on of the excess >$40,000. So, for argument's sake, (93000-40000) = 53000(*.0685)=(3630.50+973)= $4603.50 for state taxes. A far cry from 40% though. If the state alone took 40% of your gross, you'd be broke by the time Uncle Sam and all the welfare babies got their cut. (How do you know this, where can find this information? besides the IRS website, which isnt all that helpful to me)

Total tax; (19749 + 4604[rounded for ease of calc]) = $24353 on your $93000, which puts the total taxed at about 26%."

I thought the tax bracket was 28% for federal, plus state taxes would bring it to about 35-40% withheld.

Ah, but just because the bracket you're in is 28% does not mean you're taxed at 28%! Your tax is actually at ~21% because you're not that high on the scaled system.

I should've cited my sources, sorry about that.

1. http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2008/inc/nys_tax_rate_150_201.pdf [State Tax Rates]

2. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf [Federal rate on your $]

Taken from 2;

If your income is right at 93000, your tax will be 19756. 19756/93000 * 100 =/= 28%. More like 21.2%.

Let me explain something in more detail that the average Joe doesn't understand about taxes.

If your $ (line 43, taxable income) is greater than $82,400 but less than $171,850, then your tax rate is a flat $16,781.25 plus 28% of any net amount over $82,400. That does not I repeat NOT mean your tax rate IS 28%. No, no, no.

Your tax rate is determined via:

Flat $16,781.25 (@ 93k) + .28(93000-82400) =

16781.25 + 2968 = 19749.25

19749.25 / 93000 = 0.21235 * 100 = 21.24%~.

That is right off Schedule X, from the IRS themselves.

Now... there is all the welfare babies/old people $$ you need to throw down too but that's much more difficult to calculate and in reality is a lot less of the pie than state + federal income tax. You're getting socked in the shorts. I'd definitely see a tax professional once you're working to see what kind of deductions they can hook you up with. The ave. person throws away tons of their money because they just assume the gov't will do what's best for them when in reality a simple trip to a tax professional will save them $$$$$$$$$$$$ esp. in the long term.

"Tax income bracket" is oft-misused by people who don't do their own taxes or seek to understand the process. The IRS makes their tables and formulae intimidating on purpose. As a pharmacist, big numbers, scary percentages and quotients shouldn't bother you much though. Don't get ****ed over by Uncle Sam (And I love Uncle Sam, but he can be a bastard with $).

I file single, working in Brooklyn. After maxing out my 403b ($16,500) and commuting pre-tax deductions, I paid 37% in total tax last year. Keep in mind that after you reach the social security tax cap ($106,000? I think), any money you make past that point is taxed roughly 4% less. Hope this helps to give you a rough idea.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Thank you Passion4Sci for explaining the tax bracket concept. The 'sliding scale' system is very commonly misunderstood. One thing you forgot though was to subtract either the standard deduction ($5,700) or state taxes and other deductions, and the personal exemption ($3,650) before calculating the tax. There are payroll taxes of 4.2% for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare which will bring your total taxes to around 30%

Another commonly misunderstood concept is getting money back or paying extra when doing your tax return. If you have wage income from a 'W-2' job, you should be actively adjusting the amount of tax withheld from each paycheck so that you neither receive a refund nor owe taxes on your tax return. You do this by submitting Form W-4 to your employer. It is a bit more complicated to explain, but basically for every $3,650 in exemptions or deductions, you add one allowance on the form.

I find this website really handy :

http://www.paycheckcity.com

Just punch in all your info into their salary calculator (like city tax rate, federal exemption level which would be 1 for you), pick your paycheck cycle, and it calculates your paycheck for you.

I will be graduating this may from pharm school. I have 40K in loans, and I signed on with a retail chain for 93K/yr for a guaranteed minimim of 32 h/wk [~114K with 40 h/wk]. I am single, rent, and have no children.

How much can I expect to pay in taxes in NYS. I heard that it is somewhere around 40%. Is this true? If so, will I pay this AND end up owing at tax time?

Is there anything I can do now that will decrease me from getting penalized so much with taxes. Is owning a home purely for tax purposes really worth it? And from your experience is investing in a accountant worth it?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Taxation in New York is quite simple, really. They have a foolproof system called BOHICA.

So you found a job in Buffalo? First and foremost, congratulations are in order. Do you go to UB or any nearby school, or are you from completely out of area?

I file single, working in Brooklyn. After maxing out my 403b ($16,500) and commuting pre-tax deductions, I paid 37% in total tax last year. Keep in mind that after you reach the social security tax cap ($106,000? I think), any money you make past that point is taxed roughly 4% less. Hope this helps to give you a rough idea.

Thank You for sharing this info! I actually thought it was around this unfortunately. So lets say for a salary of roughly 114K ,after 401K (~16,500) and 37% tax (~36K). The take home is about 60K :wow:. That's crazy. Too think, they take this much money from the working class and this state is still in so much debt...dumbfounding.

Another commonly misunderstood concept is getting money back or paying extra when doing your tax return. If you have wage income from a 'W-2' job, you should be actively adjusting the amount of tax withheld from each paycheck so that you neither receive a refund nor owe taxes on your tax return. You do this by submitting Form W-4 to your employer. It is a bit more complicated to explain, but basically for every $3,650 in exemptions or deductions, you add one allowance on the form.

This was another question I had. Some people prefer to set up their W-4 so they neither receive a refund nor owe taxes..something about "why let the gov't keep your money throughout the year interest-free, just to get a refund." However, I would rather be taxed more heavily throughout the year and then recieve a lump sum at tax time, I wonder how you fill out your W-4 accordingly to achieve that?

Again thanx everyone for the responses, they are really helpful!

However, I would rather be taxed more heavily throughout the year and then recieve a lump sum at tax time, I wonder how you fill out your W-4 accordingly to achieve that?

You're crazy, but here goes: Form W-4, Line 5 write 0 allowances and on Line 6 "Additional amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck" you can go nuts! :p

37 percent sounds about right plus whatever you deduct for 401k and other benefits. Also add a few more percents for county tax, and other NYS witholdings like disability so 40 percent...

I don't live in New York, but I had no idea it was that bad. Here are the numbers for Florida for comparison with no state or local income tax:

$114,000 salary
-$16,500 401(k) contribution
=$97,500 salary after 401(k)

-$5,700 standard deduction
-$3,650 one exemption
=$88,150 taxable income

The tax is $16,781.25 + 28% of the amount over $82,400 so:

$88,150 - $82,400 = $5,750 x 0.28 = $1,610 + $16,781.25 = $18,391.25 Federal income tax

Plus $4,485.60 Social Security (4.2% up to $106,800 salary before 401(k))
+$1,653 Medicare (1.45% on $114k salary before 401(k))
=$24,529.85 Total taxes

Which is 21.5% of your 114k gross salary or 25% of your salary after 401(k).

Your take home pay is around $72k + $16,500 in your 401(k).

Not trying to start an argument, but an extra $12k in take home pay over your $60k calculation in NY is pretty handy.

Yeah, it's somewhat depressing when you think about it. We pay more in taxes than what the average American makes in income. What's really infuriating to me was when I used to work in retail, Medicaid patients coming in wearing tons of gold jewelry, designer clothing/handbags etc., and they would refuse the $1 copay!

Yeah, it's somewhat depressing when you think about it. We pay more in taxes than what the average American makes in income.

Does that depress you because you're overtaxed, because you're overpaid or because the poor are underpaid?

HMmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm

What's really infuriating to me was when I used to work in retail, Medicaid patients coming in wearing tons of gold jewelry, designer clothing/handbags etc., and they would refuse the $1 copay!

Yes! This infuriates me too. So many people overuse/abuse the medicaid/medicare system. New York medicaid is the most generous in the country...at the taxpayers' expense. And although I dislike when people come through the drive thru in their 2010 shiny car and designer clothes and refuse to pay their small copays, this is not even where most of the burden is. It comes largely from other abuses, for example when patients choose to take $200 ambulance rides to the emergency room every other week and other non-emergent transportation to doctors appointments that medicaid pays for in NYS; and of course the patients use, instead of being reimbursed for a $2 bus fare.

But its really the government who allows this to happen. So happy that a medicaid reform is in the beginning stages, its about time.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/108034/13/Medicaid-Recipients-Taking-Taxpayers-For-Expensive-Ride

Buy a house ASAP. get a mortgage to hide your money. otherwise u'll get raped in taxes.

As far as medicaid goes. Alot of people know how to work the system. There's more stories than I can remember. I've seen people hop out of their 7 series BMWs to drop off scripts on their medicaid.

The medicaid script I hate more than anything are those f***ing Ensures n pediasures. haha

I don't live in New York, but I had no idea it was that bad. Here are the numbers for Florida for comparison with no state or local income tax:

$114,000 salary
-$16,500 401(k) contribution
=$97,500 salary after 401(k)

-$5,700 standard deduction
-$3,650 one exemption
=$88,150 taxable income

The tax is $16,781.25 + 28% of the amount over $82,400 so:

$88,150 - $82,400 = $5,750 x 0.28 = $1,610 + $16,781.25 = $18,391.25 Federal income tax

Plus $4,485.60 Social Security (4.2% up to $106,800 salary before 401(k))
+$1,653 Medicare (1.45% on $114k salary before 401(k))
=$24,529.85 Total taxes

Which is 21.5% of your 114k gross salary or 25% of your salary after 401(k).

Your take home pay is around $72k + $16,500 in your 401(k).

Not trying to start an argument, but an extra $12k in take home pay over your $60k calculation in NY is pretty handy.

Just keep in mind that states with no local or state taxes usually have higher property taxes. At the end, it balances out.

I'm always confused on when you owe and when you get money back for taxes. When you make more does that mean that you owe more? Somewhat confused on how much a pharmacist would get back in a tax return?