Dammit!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason UCSD2000

tabasco is my friend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have been offered a slot at UCSF. I'm currently in my 3rd week at UOP. DO I TAKE IT? I really thought that I wouldn't have to deal with this decision...
PLEASE HELP. I know we've had this conversation before...
-jason

oh yeah, and I have until 9am tomorrow to decide...:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Are you aiming for UOP because of the short program?

And how does the tuition compare between the two?

How about reputation as pharm schools? Good curriculum? High passing rates on the boards?

I'm asking not to quiz you, but in preparation for a future dilemma similar to yours except between USC and UOP.

By the way, when did you submit your applications and how long did it take for them to respond to you? I just submitted my app to UOP this Monday. Seems like you sent it in way early.

Members don't see this ad :)
How far is UCSF into the school year? If they've already started, would you be able to catch up to what they've done so far?

they start on the 18th of this month.

Woah that is great, what took them so long anyway!!!!!!!?

Was it your first choice? if it was, I would take it.

Make sure that relocating doesn't interfer with your school work....

Originally posted by TCB
Woah that is great, what took them so long anyway!!!!!!!?

Was it your first choice? if it was, I would take it.

Make sure that relocating doesn't interfer with your school work....

You see, that's were the problem is. My girlfriend has a teaching job in Stockton ( that she really loves). We also have a 6-month lease on our house.

Now the question is : How far is UCSF from stockton ? you can commute if it is 45 minutes or less. Two hours or more ?? I would think twice about it.

It doesn't really matter which pharmacy school you attend, as long as you get your liscence in the end. Plus UOP is in SF, who cares if you attend that school instead of UCSF anyway ? You will still be in California, and you will still have to pass the same board exam.

correction.. UOP is in booneville, not sf. jk. sorry. but i've been there, and well...

maybe you could find someone to take your lease over? and have your gf find a smaller place. you could go up and visit her on the weekends, or vice versa. if i was thrown that opportunity knowing it was my first choice.. i'd wanna jump at it. just research all your options...you WOULD be saving a ton...(you're a CA resident, right?) good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted!!

Well once he gets his liscence he won't have to live in Stockton for forever and 1 day.

Pharmacy school is pharmacy school.

Both schools are located in California.

As for financial issues , it is a different ball game...maybe he can make his decision based on that.

Your girlfriend moved to stockton to be with you and you're thinking of bailing on her? It's stockton. Thats quite a sign of endearment for her to move to the bowel of california for you. Sounds like a pretty good girl; my girlfriend at the time (wife now) would only move with me there if she had a ring on her finger, so we got engaged...heh. Which is a good thing, but you see my point.

Your at a pretty darn good school, maybe not UCSF's caliber, but still good enough to pass an overwhelming majority of its students on the boards. Compare the rates to out of state and you see that any Cali school has them on average beat.

And its just 2 years really, you can do that 3/4 year in a variety of places.

Plus, UCSF is gonna work your butt a whole lot harder than UOP will, and I hear they are very competitive. Dog eat dog, and a bunch of nerds to boot. You've got to good of a sense of humor to go to UCSF. :p Just kidding UCSF students, sorta. Heh.

Go Tigers.

GravyRPH please tell me ... how bad is Stockton !!?

Hehe. Its actually not that bad. We enjoyed our time there but you do have to be careful where you go.

My wife was a cocktail waitress and she worked at Lyon's (I think it was called?) on Pacific a few blocks from the school and would rake in the bucks until some guy got stabbed in there one night. Ooops. Another night a patron got thrown through a glass window. This all happened while she wasn't working and involved some supposed asian gangs floating around in town. You could also here some gun pops and tire squeals while lying in bed at night from time to time. Every apartment complex is gated and every house has bars on the windos and front doors.

But the main streets have all the amenities you would want and I never felt uncomfortable or in fear for my life. :)
The school is amazingly beautiful and completely out of place plopped right in the middle of this inudstrial town. Several movies have been filmed there since it does have an ivy-esque quality to it (The SOP is actually not on the main campus so its as ugly as the rest of the town).

The rents cheap though and is within a short distance of Giants games AND Kings games. I'll take what I can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
So...it looks like I'm going to go to UCSF. They'll give me student housing, my girlfriend might just live by herself for the rest of the lease or find a roomate.

sigh...guess i'll be the only bloke at Stockton.

you'll be missed!

I think this has been one of the hardest decisions that I've ever had to make. It's going to be rough to be away from my girlfriend. Hopefully weekend visits will be an option.

wow i thought uop was hard already .... just wonder how sf is going to be

Maybe you should send some of us to take care of your girlfriend, Jason. ;) Good luck with an awesome oppertunity. I'll be calling you when I need something done right (or a job). I would come to UofP to see riskhk, but I'm happy where I'm at. :horns:

Keep us posted.

well if it makes you feel any better.. you'll be 80 miles away with the option for weekend visits.. i'm 3000 miles away from my bf and wish i had the option for weekend visits:(

ok that doesn't help.. but the time will go by fast.. you'll be busy studying.. it's a small sacrifice to make when you think of the bigger picture.. if this is what you want, go for it!!

:clap:

Congrats dude!!! I'll hook you up with all the cool peeps at ucsf Jay!!!! Kudos!!

Originally posted by keiki
.. if this is what you want, go for it!!

:clap:

Ditto..Congratulations!

Keep us posted with your experiences at SF.

Congratulations! Best of luck to you at UCSF. Good luck leaving that gang you're in ;)

dude good luck man. What is the tuition and living cost differences between the two schools?

Originally posted by Heyyyyy
dude good luck man. What is the tuition and living cost differences between the two schools?

UOP: $38,000
UCSF: $24,000 (I'll be a non-resident the first year)

San Francisco's cost of living is insanely higher than Stockton's.

I think every other half-hour I have 2nd thoughts about this.

That's normal. It's ok. You're not obligated to pick either one, yet.

:)

Won't uop charge you a whole year's or semester's tuition fee for withdrawing after school starts?

ucsf sounds better in terms of costs and it being your first choice. The only good thing about uop is that it is a 3-year program and you get nightly access to your girlfriend. Either way, choose what is best for you and which one will provide more benefits to you.

Originally posted by Heyyyyy
Won't uop charge you a whole year's or semester's tuition fee for withdrawing after school starts?

That's something that I have to discuss with the financial aid office tomorrow. I think they're going to charge me a percentage depending upon how long I've been there. It's too bad that the office opens at 8:30, classes are at 9:00, and I have to give my decision to UCSF by 9:00.

I also know that they're not going to take back any of my books.

Good luck, Jason!

paperwork madness continues...

So...UOP to UCSF chaos continues through the weekend. I got student housing, but won't be able to live there until Monday night. I'll be staying at a Pharmacy Frat house on Sunday night. I can't believe that I have to move out on Sunday (neither can my girlfriend)! Being that the situation is so crazy, I'm only taking the bare essentials for the first week.
I'm orderig a new laptop today (had to give mine back to UOP). It's going to be very difficult for me to go from living with my girlfriend to living with a roomate in an apartment with 5 other guys! Hopefully I'll just spend my days at school and my weekends in Stockton. I'm leaving my car here :( I love my car.
Yesterday was probably one of the more stessful days in my life, but I'll live. My girlfriend really knows that this is what I want, and has been very supportive.
I think everyone at UCSF's admissions office know exactly who I am, and my whole story. Everytime I call and talk with someone new they're like:
" Ah yes, I know who you are. How are you doing? A little stressed?":)
Thanks ucdbiochem for the help. If any other UCSF student has any last minute tips or things I should know for orientation I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
jason

At least I don't have to study for that anatomy quiz on Monday...

wow uop gives their students laptops??:eek:

Originally posted by keiki
wow uop gives their students laptops??:eek:

I definately wouldn't say "give" their students laptops. We pay for them over the 8 semesters ($330.00) per semester.

I'm all packed. My girlfriend is taking me SF in about an hour or so. This is crazy. Wish me luck.
-jason:) :eek: :( :confused: :clap:

Good luck Jason

You can do it :)

Good luck Jason!

sigh...just checking in to tell ya'll that I'm still alive - wounded, but alive. :)

I know ucsf pharm peeps that can help you out. PM me if you need it. Good luck dude. My old boss is one of your histology profs :( That's a bad thing.

So... I am no longer anonymous here at UCSF. I was telling my sob story to someone last night, and in mid-sentence they were:
" Are you Jason UCSD2000 from SDN?"
Perhaps I shouldn't share so much...
To this date I've met:
neonam
ucdbiochem
and ucsfpharmgirl
I think tomorrow I'll have actually paid my tuition here! Since my financial aid didn't "transfer" like everyone told me, I was stuck with an $8,000+ fee to pay. I just deposited the $8,000 emergency loan check from the Pharmacy school. Tomorrow I'll officially be a student here! I'll spare everyone the details, b/c you'll think I'm crazy...all I can say is that the view of the city from the library is enough to make me glad I'm here.
:)
Thanks again for listening.
Until next dilemma (there's been so many...),
jason

oh man... you're making me sooo miss sf!!! i used to live near there... stop by my old place and say hi for me..:D i'll remind you all again how much i miss sf when the snow starts falling here.. ugh...3 years 8 months 13 days 6 hours 49 min and 34 seconds to go and counting...:(

C'mon Jay where's the update!?!? Everyone's all excited for you, don't keep the world at bay. I sat down w/BMB last week (instead of studying for the quiz in health care delivery that we were both unprepared for, that was subsequently postponed for a week that we were still unprepared for:rolleyes: ) and the first thing he said to me was "that's cool that jay got into ucsf".

Originally posted by Triangulation
(instead of studying for the quiz in health care delivery that we were both unprepared for, that was subsequently postponed for a week that we were still unprepared for:rolleyes: )

You're describing my life? Are you me? Am I Tyler Durden?
:laugh:

Originally posted by Triangulation
C'mon Jay where's the update!?!? Everyone's all excited for you, don't keep the world at bay. I sat down w/BMB last week (instead of studying for the quiz in health care delivery that we were both unprepared for, that was subsequently postponed for a week that we were still unprepared for:rolleyes: ) and the first thing he said to me was "that's cool that jay got into ucsf".

Just one quick update since I'm about to leave:
They keep the library here at UCSF at meatlocker temps...:eek:

-jason

updates to "Jason's Chaotic Life" coming soon...

Yes!!!
I just got a "bill" from UOP today...

...and the grand total for 3 weeks at UOP comes to...

$7,683.13!!!!

I can't believe that I'm going to have to get another loan to pay this off...
When I was at UOP, I had purchase a Nalgene bottle for my sister that had "UOP" written on it. I haven't had a chance to return it, but now I think I'm going to keep it and call it my "$7,000 Nalgane bottle". :laugh:
Digging the hole a little deeper,
jason

Originally posted by jason UCSD2000
Yes!!!
I just got a "bill" from UOP today...

...and the grand total for 3 weeks at UOP comes to...

$7,683.13!!!!
jason

Dude, that is just crazy. One of my friends got off the waitlist at UCSF and decided to go there instead of USC but he didnt have to pay jack. He had a 2 week free education.

That bill would have made go haywire.

i'm sorry to hear that, jason.
UOP is just f@#kin' crazy. is there any way to talk yourself out of this? There is no way i can pay that much. plus you're not a student there anymore. why the hell would they ask for money?
by the way, they didn't refund my $500 deposit. WTF!!! +pissed+
that's why i never go to private school. all they want is money.

hehe i enjoyed reading this thread.....congrats jason...
and don't worry...you saved more than 7K by going to ucsf.

back to the dental forum i go...
good luck in school.