Real life experiences of a new anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residentphysici

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been almost 80 days since I've completed my anesthesiology residency at Johns Hopkins and about how long I've been an attending in private practice. So, what have life really been like?

First of all, the change of environment alone added to many of my early travails. The monitors, IV catheters, blades, charts, etc. were different. I spent so much time trying to figure those out and very little in actual patient care concerns. Then, the pace was overwhelming. In residency you had all of the time in the world. In private practice, you have a few minutes and that is it. The patient needs to be asleep fast and be extubated when the last dressing is on. Plus, there is backup if you are having difficulty, but it can come at the price of your partners thinking you are an idiot!

I have done 2 - 3 times the cases, in less time, and with less effort than in residency. During residency, I averaged a grueling 65 hour work week. Now, I average 70 - 75 hour work weeks, doing 3 times as much, and not being as worn out as I was in residency. And it finally clicked! The monitors, IVs, etc. are no longer a problem. They are calling me to do difficult intubations because I am the one facile with lightwands. Although I had a somewhat adequate regional anesthesia experience during residency, I am now able to perform blocks like and seasoned professional. I am doing the blocks that no one has done at my hospital in years.

So, the moral of this real life experience is that the residency you choose matters A LOT! Trust me on this one! I also interview applicants for our practice, and some do not have an adequate background to succeed in our group. I will write a post on choosing the best residency program soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a bunch for writing about your experiences. I wish that more private guys would post this kind of information for the younger guys to read and absorb. It emphasizes the need to get into a good program and not just settle for a decent program and it shows that you should WANT to work hard in your residency to be prepared for anything you might see in the private world.

At Hopkins I'd imagine that you not only see some of the sickest patients you can imagine, but you also see them constantly. I think that is just a huge plus when you can see guys like the one I did last Sunday night at the VA hospital: 83, 3V CAD, dilated CM, EF 15%, severe AR and MR, pulm HTN, DM, COPD, and now mesenteric ischemia with dead bowel allowed to sit in the MICU with a paltry 40 cc NS/hour and a blood gas of 7.11, 65, 93, 16, BE -18.6. I had similar guys in my CA-1 year in my first month and I was sweating bullets.

Having seen these kind of patients with regularity especially at Parkland, I had the patient ready in 20 minutes from the time he hit the OR door (preloaded, A line, induced, intubated, cordis, PIV, TEE, drips available, etc.). We finished two hours later and the patient was extubated the next morning (8 hours later) and is now set for discharge tomorrow. I always appreciate any positive comments from my attendings, but I especially appreciate it when a surgical attending goes out of his or her way to thank us for the job that we did on these particular cases.

Please continue to give us this kind of information as it can only help and motivate us to excel in the profession we have chosen to espouse.

To the younger guys in programs not emphasizing regional or pain management: Don't skimp on these skills. Those of us who possess these skills will have a significant advantage over those who do not.

I was talking to a physician about hopkins anesthesia, he graduated about 5-6 years ago. He told me to ask about their regional anesthesia training specifically because he thought it was the weakest area of his training at hopkins.

I'd like your thoughts on it. Has it improved since he graduated?

p.s. this is not meant to take anything away from hopkins, I'm simply repeating a graduate's thoughts.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Regional anesthesia is a weakness at a lot of programs.

I absolutely agree that the weakness of the Hopkins program is regional anesthesiology. I would say that is the only weakness because you get an average regional anesthesia experience. However, Dr. Chris Wu, MD has tremendously improved the experience by several folds! It is now very different from what it used to be 5 years ago. In my three years alone our experience more than tripled.

We can also rotate through Johns Hopkins Bayview for an absolutely awesome regional experience. You can do at about 60 blocks that month. If you weren't required to be in the OR, you could do at least twice that much. You can also rotate through Union Hospital, and even Hospital For Special Surgery in NY. Having the opportunity to rotate at those hospitals is a great positive and not a negative. It will help you in private practice to learn how to provide anesthesia in different environments.

UTSouthwestern, I agree with your excellent post.