Midwestern University Glendale MA-Biomedical Sciences c/o 2012

Started by PWNISHER
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PWNISHER

Roseman c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed no one has set up a facebook group and I know it will be helpful for those that want to meet friends before they arrive and also coordinate other things such as finding roommates and places to live, etc....

Here is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...21136847905194

Its still new so not much done to it but hopefully we can fix it up as the Summer progresses. Also can be used as a medium through which people can make announcements to the rest of the class as we go through the year.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted already.

P.S. This is for Glendale, AZ campus
 
is this a guaranteed direct admission to DO school following successful completion of Post-bacc??? also do they have this in Chicago and Glendale or only Glendale?
 
is this a guaranteed direct admission to DO school following successful completion of Post-bacc??? also do they have this in Chicago and Glendale or only Glendale?


I believe from my understanding that you are not guaranteed direct admission. But I am referring to the Glendale program's website. You are guaranteed an interview with at least a 3.0 in the program and 82% of matriculants enter their professional school afterwards.

As far as Chicago I have never been to the website and I do not know whether or not they have same Post-Bacc programs available. You'll have to do a little bit of hunting on their website. If its anything like the glendale portion of the website then you should be able to find it easily. Or just toss an e-mail to admissions they answer questions surprisingly quick. I hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe from my understanding that you are not guaranteed direct admission. But I am referring to the Glendale program's website. You are guaranteed an interview with at least a 3.0 in the program and 82% of matriculants enter their professional school afterwards.

As far as Chicago I have never been to the website and I do not know whether or not they have same Post-Bacc programs available. You'll have to do a little bit of hunting on their website. If its anything like the glendale portion of the website then you should be able to find it easily. Or just toss an e-mail to admissions they answer questions surprisingly quick. I hope this helps.

CCOM does have a similar program, I believe they just started it this year.
 
Anyone else get accepted that is heading there this fall? Seems to not be as popular as many other post-bacc's
 
As far as I know Chicago does not have the one year program. Last class had about 75 students and most of them got into professional programs. If you can handle the course work of this program then you should be ready for professional programs. I'm not trying to scare you since doing well in this program is definitely doable, but in order to do that, you won't have a life for 9 months! It's definitely intense but worth it.
 
As far as I know Chicago does not have the one year program. Last class had about 75 students and most of them got into professional programs. If you can handle the course work of this program then you should be ready for professional programs. I'm not trying to scare you since doing well in this program is definitely doable, but in order to do that, you won't have a life for 9 months! It's definitely intense but worth it.

But they do 🙂

http://www.midwestern.edu/Programs_and_Admission/IL_Master_of_Arts_in_Biomedical_Sciences.html

I believe it's their first year doing the M.A. program so I'm not sure how popular it is yet.

When I interviewed a few months ago, my interviewer told me the guaranteed interview applied to both campuses, pretty awesome if you do amazing in the program!
 
But they do 🙂

http://www.midwestern.edu/Programs_and_Admission/IL_Master_of_Arts_in_Biomedical_Sciences.html

I believe it's their first year doing the M.A. program so I'm not sure how popular it is yet.

When I interviewed a few months ago, my interviewer told me the guaranteed interview applied to both campuses, pretty awesome if you do amazing in the program!

Actually you're right. I just remembered I was told by one of the faculties that they were starting the MA this year. Did you interview for Chicago or Glendale?
 
Well it was a phone interview for the Arizona campus. Although I won't be attending, it was hard to turn down. It's such a beautiful school and the students seemed really happy there.
 
Well it was a phone interview for the Arizona campus. Although I won't be attending, it was hard to turn down. It's such a beautiful school and the students seemed really happy there.

It really is a great program. It definitely prepares you for any professional school.
 
Well it was a phone interview for the Arizona campus. Although I won't be attending, it was hard to turn down. It's such a beautiful school and the students seemed really happy there.[/QUOTE

Hey guys. I just got the email fro my phone interview today!!! I was wondering if there is anything I should expect or what type of questions they had asked you. I wanna have the interview in about a week so I can get prepared!

Any tips or pointers? Hopefully I can see some of you there!
 
Well it was a phone interview for the Arizona campus. Although I won't be attending, it was hard to turn down. It's such a beautiful school and the students seemed really happy there.[/QUOTE

Hey guys. I just got the email fro my phone interview today!!! I was wondering if there is anything I should expect or what type of questions they had asked you. I wanna have the interview in about a week so I can get prepared!

Any tips or pointers? Hopefully I can see some of you there!

Congrats. I was just accepted to the program earlier this week after having my interview this past Thursday. In regards to the types of questions I got they were - tell me about yourself; why Midwestern?; how did you hear about this program?; Why are you interest in the MA and not MS in biomedical science?; what do you think will be the most difficult part of this program?; and finally why DO and not MD (I'm premed).

The interview is really informal and relaxed. Nothing too intimidating in comparison to the interviews I've had for med school. It should last between 20 and 30 min. Good luck👍
 
Yah, FB group is up to 17. I think everyone just talks on their mostly. I guess once orientation gets close we may see a lot more people either there or here since both come up now when you google it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Guys!

I applied back in March and was wait listed. I have not heard anything and would really love to attend Midwestern in the fall! Does anyone know the possibility of being pulled off the wait list and when that may occur? I was accepted to another school near Chicago which starts 3 weeks before midwestern....I am hoping that I will be notified before I already start another problem.

Thanks!
 
Hi Guys!

I applied back in March and was wait listed. I have not heard anything and would really love to attend Midwestern in the fall! Does anyone know the possibility of being pulled off the wait list and when that may occur? I was accepted to another school near Chicago which starts 3 weeks before midwestern....I am hoping that I will be notified before I already start another problem.

Thanks!

During my interview I was told by my interviewer that they usually have a lot of movement on the waitlist since some of the students they accept are currently waitlisted for professional school. In regards to the possibility I'm not too sure but there's still a chance.
 
Hi Guys!

I applied back in March and was wait listed. I have not heard anything and would really love to attend Midwestern in the fall! Does anyone know the possibility of being pulled off the wait list and when that may occur? I was accepted to another school near Chicago which starts 3 weeks before midwestern....I am hoping that I will be notified before I already start another problem.

Thanks!

Wow March is long time ago lol I had my interview this past Thurs and I got in yesterday (the 27th). On Thurs I was told that the class is full but that people fall off all the time bc of the professional school acceptances and what not. Maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea if you maybe wrote a letter to the admissions committee stating why you are a good candidate and how the school will benefit you and you benefit it. What school in Chicago did you get into? Rosalind Franklin? Loyola?
 
Admissions at Midwestern is amazing. Just call them and ask. Tell them your situation and they will not leave you hanging. Remember the Post-Bacc at MWU has its own commitee and staff separate from the professional schools. So they will help you make your plans appropriately. I know they say the class is full but how many people have you seen post on this board with questions like...."So i got into these 2 programs, which should I choose?" So really you should contact them to know if there are people they are still waiting for deposits or what not.
 
Hi Guys!

I applied back in March and was wait listed. I have not heard anything and would really love to attend Midwestern in the fall! Does anyone know the possibility of being pulled off the wait list and when that may occur? I was accepted to another school near Chicago which starts 3 weeks before midwestern....I am hoping that I will be notified before I already start another problem.

Thanks!

I would contact the Biomed department directly, especially let your interviewer know your situation and desire to attend their program.
 
The school I got into in Chicago is Rosalind Franklin. I have called a few times over the past few months and they tell me that all I can do is wait. Recently I emailed admissions again explaining my situation in detail and got this helpful response:

Hi Jennifer,

You're on the alternate list.

Thank you,
Mike Pralle

Maybe I will try and call again and see what they say...
Thanks to everyone for the responses!
 
I'm working my app for Midwestern's BMS 9 month program in Chicago as I speak!!! I'm excited and hope I get in. Its my backup plan for if I get rejected from all the DO schools I just applied to. I'm applying simultaneously so if I don't get in (God forebid) I can get a jump on my post bacc asap =) ..
You all probably don't care at all about any of that but I have writer's block from all the essays I'm working on and needed a break lol ... so random SDN post it is =)
 
For everyone who has been accepted have they figured out their living situation? I would like to get a roommate who is in the program. There are some nice places across from campus but would make it more affordable if it was 2-3 people.

Thanks, let me know.
 
For everyone who has been accepted have they figured out their living situation? I would like to get a roommate who is in the program. There are some nice places across from campus but would make it more affordable if it was 2-3 people.

Thanks, let me know.


I think your best bet is to ask amongst the facebook group. I know there are like 3 people trying to find roomies for San Lagos area by campus
 
if anyone is still looking for a roommate, pm me asap. im planning to go to arizona this weekend and figure out an apartment to live in.
 
Hello everyone! 🙂 I just got accepted to this program and was wondering about your housing/living situations? I'm currently trying to find housing/apartments near the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! I am also certain I will attend this program. We should make a Facebook page soon so everyone can get to know each other.
 
Last edited:
walker727 and cre8tive, when did you guys interview? My interview was almost two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet. This wait is killing me!
 
cre8tive thank you! congrats to you as well. I think we should definitely make a facebook page. Let me know if you want to or if I should! Srkftw I interviewed last Tuesday and I found out on Sunday evening.
 
It also seems like you can't search for the group on fb, so maybe changing the settings so people can find the group!
 
Sending in my app for this program this week. What's the interview like?
 
To anyone who has received admissions. What kind of scores did you have? I can't find any ranges online. I just applied
 
To anyone who has received admissions. What kind of scores did you have? I can't find any ranges online. I just applied

During my interview i was told that the average is 3.0 gpa and 24 mcat to get interview. if your within that range u should be fine.
 
To anyone who has received admissions. What kind of scores did you have? I can't find any ranges online. I just applied

I was at ~2.9 and 30 MCAT.

Anyone who is down there at San Prado/Lagos got the low down on how the average rent looks after utilities/fees? And is the internet/cable free? I asked them about the internet/cable and feel like I might have gotten a misleading answer.