DAT Done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted to first say thank you to all those people who have already taken the DAT and stay on this forum to help newbies that have no clue where to start.

Secondly, I want to thank all of my peers/fellow DAT takers (and hopefully future colleagues) for being so altruistic when sharing strategies and helping clarify concepts for one and other.

It really has been refreshing to see students helping students and not trying to screw each other over by withholding information or spreading misinformation just to try to get the competitive edge on everyone else.

Here are my scores:

AA: 22 (98.9)
TS: 23 (99.7)
Bio: 22 (97.6)
GC: 23 (97.3)
OC: 28 (99.5)
PAT: 20 (81.0)
RC: 18 (52.2)
QR: 17 (76.6)

They're not amazing like some crazy ones on the 21AA+ thread so I'll keep it super short. Let me know if you want the 'deets like what I used and what my practice test scores were.

Bio: Really basic stuff. I can't believe I wasted so much time stressing over this section.

Gchem: Chad. Concepts. Setup, no Calculations.

Ochem: Chad. Concepts. Basics. No questions from DAT Destroyer road maps (I wasted like 400 flashcards and half a week of my life).

PAT: Around the same as my average on CDP so I guess it's a good representation of the real thing. I was a little distracted during the whole 60 minutes of PAT thinking "OMG I'm never going to have to study god damn taxonomy, plants, evolution, or ecology again in my life!"

Break: Attempted to pee. Ate some food.

RC: I though I had killed it. I guess I didn't.

QR: My score is a good reflection of my preparation but I thought I did better than a 17...maybe I need to start gauging my performance on tests better. :D

I finished every section with some time left. I had around 30-35 minutes after Natural Sciences so I hung out and rechecked Gchem, then bio, then ochem. I only changed a couple answers so I guess it wasn't that bad. I finished PAT with like 10 minutes left so I reviewed the marked ones. RC and QR were finished early...i don't even know, you don't want my advice on those sections.

I guess I'll add some stuff because of some PMs I got.

Crack The DAT (CDP/CDR/CDM): http://crackdat.com/
-I only got the PAT section and it was right on par.

Topscore: http://www.scholarware.com/
My scores on this were significantly lower than my actual test so I don't really think it was a good representation of what you're likely to find (especially
Bio and RC)

DAT Destroyer: http://www.orgoman.com/
If you're tight on money, check out http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 or ebay or amazon and you can save some serious coin.
I had heard about it before I even knew what the sections for the DAT were. I'd say it's....ehhh....It's useful but it's not as amazing as what I had heard. It's riddled with mistakes, mostly gramatical/poorly worded questions, but 1 or 2 answers are wrong. A lot of answers are obvious "E: none of the above" or "E: All of the above". Explanations for answers really suck too. I've looked at previous additions and they were a lot better than this one so maybe it's just the 2011 ones.
G-chem: Great. Get it for this.
Ochem: Good. The roadmaps were an unnecessary headache of relatively complex reactions but the questions themselves were good.
Bio: Bad. Go through them if you want but I really thought most of the questions were useless.

Math Destroyer: Same link as above
I think it would've been advantageous if I had taken this resource more seriously. I casually did a couple sections every week and didn't really internalize what I was doing wrong. I guess it showed in my score .

Chad's Videos: http://www.courseRemoveThisFromURLsaver.com/cmps_index.php
(for some reason the website *********** gets censored here)
If you feel anything less than 100% on gchem or ochem get this. $30 for a 4 semester review of chemistry in 2 weeks (and a lot of good practice questions). Chad seems like a pretty awesome guy too, like someone who I could grab a beer with or something.

Cliffs AP Bio: http://www.walmart.com/ip/5635577?so...ci_sku=5635577
My sole motivation to read through this thing was knowing the fact that high school kids are tested at the same level as us on bio (as well as G-chem, RC, and OR). Those smug 17 year old bastards need to be put in their place (it's also really informative and cheap too). I've also heard good things about Barrons.

Kaplan: http://www.kaptest.com/DAT-NBDE/Home/index.html
I'll say that you should be cautious about buying stuff from kaplan. They're great at customer support and marketing but the their product is sub-par. A lot more flash than actual substance. I personally thought the class was pathetic and did nothing to prepare anyone for the DAT. You learn 80% of the information on your own and they teach you only 10% (yes...10% is missing...that's kaplan for you).
The online syllabus was actually good. The class was terrible and I can't believe I could have payed for most of my application with all of that money .

DAT Sample Test (.pdf): http://www.ada.org/sections/educatio...ampleitems.pdf
Glanced at a few questions before test day.

datQVault: http://www.datqvault.com/index.php/l...ome/index/
Meh...I'm getting tired of writing this review so suffice it to say that this is just...eh. If you have $50 laying around, spend $40 on something you really want and wait until you have $15 more. It's okay, nothing that would make or break your understanding of information.

Khan Academy: http://www.khanacademy.org/
It's good but it's blown out of proportion for the context of what our goal is. Sal rambles on for like 10 minutes for a concept that would take 2 minutes to get if you cracked open Campbell. If you really don't get something, watch his videos because he is really good when you start from basics.
I had no idea how neurons worked (saltatory conduction, action potential, ligand gated v electrostatic channels or w/e) and Campbell does a poor job of explaining this section but after watching the 3 or 4 videos about them...it was really, really easy.

Random mentions:

http://www.hippocampus.org/?select-textbook=7
This last one is actually something I could have and should have looked at from the get-go; unfortunately I discovered it 2 weeks before my test. I've linked you to some videos explaining specific chapters and sections of Campbell. Sure the voices are dull but it's a lot easier to watch a 10 minute video than read a 50 page chapter of Campbell.

Here's some helpful stuff to put your mind at ease about the mysteries of test day:
My prometric experience was awesome, the people were really nice and it was really easy to sign and fingerprint myself in/out of the testing room. The sheets of laminated paper were fine. Erase with your fingers if you can...it's easier and takes less time.

Here is the 15 minute tutorial that you are going to be given: http://www.ada.org/sections/educatio...t_tutorial.pdf

It feels good to be done.

1274666549699.gif

1279193196_basketball-dancing.gif

tduEs.gif

swanson-dance.gif

Sumonohomo.gif

1274465753023.gif

1275014094281.gif

Sofia_stirring.gif

if-you-dont-study-you-shall-not-pass-500x318.jpg

See you around the forums guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats man! I know you were one of the few people that hounded this forum. Great scores. 17 in QR is bare minimum (anything below that and I would have suggested retake), but your other scores more than compensate.

Good job!!!

Do have to finish all of the bio section before you move on to gc and org or can you go back? How does the "mark" work?

nice job btw

Do have to finish all of the bio section before you move on to gc and org or can you go back? How does the "mark" work?

nice job btw

Nope you can go straight to whatever question you want. the only thing is there's no skip X until you reach the end where you can review questions you didn't answer or marked. you have to click your way thru.

mark works by click a button @ bottom of each question, when you reach review screen you can view all marked questions, unanswered, all questions or pick and choose. It even lets you see what you marked so you can pick yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats man! I know you were one of the few people that hounded this forum. Great scores. 17 in QR is bare minimum (anything below that and I would have suggested retake), but your other scores more than compensate.

Good job!!!

Haha thanks Strag, much appreciated. How bad do you think that the 17 in QR and 18 in RC is going to look in the eyes of adcoms?

nice job btw

Like Herkulease said, you have to keep clicking "next" to get to the next Q. When you get to the end, you can review all the ones you marked by clicking "Review Marked" and it takes you to the first marked question. After you click "Next" it jumps to the next marked question.

I wouldn't recommend skipping around though. Some people said they tried it but I always though that it would eat up valuable time pushing "Next" 30-40 times.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure, but your other scores are good enough to not warrant another retake. If you had a 17 in RC, than I would contemplate it but I think you're ok!

niiiiice job! are you applying this cycle?

yup yup. I need to start filling out secondaries and sending out checks. I haven't even touched them yet because of the DAT and midterms for summer classes. But jeez, you're scores and GPA are fantastic.

I'm not really sure, but your other scores are good enough to not warrant another retake. If you had a 17 in RC, than I would contemplate it but I think you're ok!

That makes me feel a little bit better. I still expect to get some flak from adcoms about the RC and QR score...I should probably articulate an explanation for them.

I'm in!

Don't let a low RC or QR score intimidate you or slow you down. I was never asked about it at any of my 7 interviews and got multiple acceptances.

Congratulations. What scores did they ask for?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I see. Can one submit an application without DAT scores and then send the scores once DAT is completed? Do they require DAT scores to be present before application submission?

I see. Can one submit an application without DAT scores and then send the scores once DAT is completed? Do they require DAT scores to be present before application submission?

You can totally send your AADSAS application before you take the DAT.

It takes about 2-3 weeks for the ADA to send the DAT scores to AADSAS and for AADSAS to send them to individual schools but no school will review your application before they get your DAT scores.

Oh I see. So you can submit that but they just will not look at it. Thank you.

balling scores... man.. what do u think of the level of hardness of RC section for the exam?
did you read the passage before answering or did u just go straight to the questions and S&D?
also... how does it compare to the CDR or Topscore RC sections??

balling scores... man.. what do u think of the level of hardness of RC section for the exam?
did you read the passage before answering or did u just go straight to the questions and S&D?
also... how does it compare to the CDR or Topscore RC sections??

During the test I thought that the passages were easy. I read through them one at a time and answered the questions. I remember finishing early and thinking to myself "damn I did great on that". When I got my score back I was surprised thought.

My scores on topscore were mostly above 20 if I can recall because you could just Search and Destroy. The real test had a lot more inference questions and the passages were longer.