Apply to all schools or just one school, without MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AugustMCAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am taking the MCAT August 5th but intend on sending in my primary application (w/o MCAT score or LORs) before that time. From what my adviser told me, not having an MCAT score on your primary app is a glaring negative (although my GPA is 3.99 overall/4.0 science), so I was considering only applying to one, low-priority school so my app could at least be verified. However, this would make me a late applicant when applying to all my other schools. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

So my question, knowing the pros/cons of each scenario, is: Should I submit my primary application (w/o MCAT score or LORs) to just one school, or all of them?

Thanks so much for your time!

PS: If anyone knows how to list an "honors college" on the AMCAS application (put it under activities?), I'd be more than grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and if this has already been asked I apologize in advance. I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me on these boards and I don't want to be a bother :).

Oh and if this has already been asked I apologize in advance. I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me on these boards and I don't want to be a bother :).

I was in a similar situation. I say it depends partially on your MCAT practice test scores. I would say if your MCAT PT avg is on par with the most competitive schools on your list then you should go ahead and apply with all your schools. When I submitted I applied to all of them and then added two more once I got my score.

Obviously if money is a big issue, perhaps take the true reach ones out of the equation until you get your scores.

I think your advisor is wrong by the way. It's not a negative that your score is not there yet, BUT obviously by the time you have a score (ie september) then it might be considered late for some schools.

Your application will NOT be considered complete at any school until you have your score. BUT you should submit as early as possible because it takes weeks for your app to be verified. As soon as you receive your scores, every school you applied to will receive your scores, as long as your application has been verified.

I understand you can't control when you get your score, but get those LORs in ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck by the way. I know how much this whole thing sucks. When you get interviews and all that, be confident, but also realize they don't mean acceptances, so stay humble (in life too lol)

I was in a similar situation. I say it depends partially on your MCAT practice test scores. I would say if your MCAT PT avg is on par with the most competitive schools on your list then you should go ahead and apply with all your schools. When I submitted I applied to all of them and then added two more once I got my score.

Obviously if money is a big issue, perhaps take the true reach ones out of the equation until you get your scores.

I think your advisor is wrong by the way. It's not a negative that your score is not there yet, BUT obviously by the time you have a score (ie september) then it might be considered late for some schools.

Your application will NOT be considered complete at any school until you have your score. BUT you should submit as early as possible because it takes weeks for your app to be verified. As soon as you receive your scores, every school you applied to will receive your scores, as long as your application has been verified.

I understand you can't control when you get your score, but get those LORs in ASAP.

Good luck by the way. I know how much this whole thing sucks. When you get interviews and all that, be confident, but also realize they don't mean acceptances, so stay humble (in life too lol)

Thank you so much for your insight man! Yeah, a bunch of health issues actually derailed my plans, but I did mention them in my personal statement so hopefully they will understand the late mcat.

So there is no negative impact of applying to all my schools without an MCAT score besides $$?

So right now: get my recs in. My school does a committee letter, so I am in the waiting list for that too (damn state schools and their long waits).

How did things end up going for you btw?

Thank you so much for your insight man! Yeah, a bunch of health issues actually derailed my plans, but I did mention them in my personal statement so hopefully they will understand the late mcat.

So there is no negative impact of applying to all my schools without an MCAT score besides $$?

So right now: get my recs in. My school does a committee letter, so I am in the waiting list for that too (damn state schools and their long waits).

How did things end up going for you btw?

Well the fact that you don't have a score doesn't directly affect your application, but the date by which they receive your score does affect your application. In other words, september may be considered late for some schools, especially those with rolling admissions.

I was in a very similar situation. I had to delay my MCAT twice due to health problems, which was not my plan at all obviously.

I applied to 12 schools I think, it was a very top heavy list. I had five interviews (yale/musc/usc/vanderbilt/dartmouth), 2 acceptances. I imagine if I would have been able to be "complete" earlier I would have had more success.

My MCAT was later than yours by the way, so I think if you have a solid score you'll be fine.

Well the fact that you don't have a score doesn't directly affect your application, but the date by which they receive your score does affect your application. In other words, september may be considered late for some schools, especially those with rolling admissions.

I was in a very similar situation. I had to delay my MCAT twice due to health problems, which was not my plan at all obviously.

I applied to 12 schools I think, it was a very top heavy list. I had five interviews (yale/musc/usc/vanderbilt/dartmouth), 2 acceptances. I imagine if I would have been able to be "complete" earlier I would have had more success.

My MCAT was later than yours by the way, so I think if you have a solid score you'll be fine.

Many thanks, that is very reassuring! I feel so hopeless right now, it's good to see some positive reinforcement. If you don't mind my asking, did you mention your health issue in the PS (that's what I did), or did you write a separate letter?

Also, would you recommend making my list heavy in non-rolling schools to compensate for my september app?

Thanks again mate...if you ever need anything on my end please let me know.

Many thanks, that is very reassuring! I feel so hopeless right now, it's good to see some positive reinforcement. If you don't mind my asking, did you mention your health issue in the PS (that's what I did), or did you write a separate letter?

Also, would you recommend making my list heavy in non-rolling schools to compensate for my september app?

Thanks again mate...if you ever need anything on my end please let me know.

Well my 2 acceptances (pretty sure would have been three but I turned USC down) were rolling admissions, so it depends. I think it ultimately hurt me at say, Vandy, that it was late because even though I got an interview it wasn't until January. I'm pretty sure their class was close to full by then, if not entirely full.

So certainly include some nonrolling, but I would tailor your list more to your stats, goals, and whatever else. You should have both really. I think generally speaking nonrolling are more competitive, so it's somewhat of a trade off.

I mentioned my health issues in my PS because it's been a lifelong thing, and it certainly influenced my decision to pursue medicine. But I was not detailed at all about what they were or what treatments I undergo etc... I was asked about it during my interviews, and I went into as much detail as the interviewers wanted.

I have to be honest, I have to imagine my health issues hurt my chances. Because the interviewers definitely brought them up and they seemed a bit too curious at times. Obviously I'll never know for sure, because they can't legally tell me that (I think), but it was something that was always in the back of mind during the process.

Last edited:
Well my 2 acceptances (pretty sure would have been three but I turned USC down) were rolling admissions, so it depends. I think it ultimately hurt me at say, Vandy, that it was late because even though I got an interview it wasn't until January. I'm pretty sure their class was close to full by then, if not entirely full.

So certainly include some nonrolling, but I would tailor your list more to your stats, goals, and whatever else. You should have both really. I think generally speaking nonrolling are more competitive, so it's somewhat of a trade off.

I mentioned my health issues in my PS because it's been a lifelong thing, and it certainly influenced my decision to pursue medicine. But I was not detailed at all about what they were or what treatments I undergo etc... I was asked about it during my interviews, and I went into as much detail as the interviewers wanted.

I have to be honest, I have to imagine my health issues hurt my chances. Because the interviewers definitely brought them up and they seemed a bit too curious at times. Obviously I'll never know for sure, because they can't legally tell me that (I think), but it was something that was always in the back of mind during the process.

Hmm interesting. My issues are not lingering and have been dealt with so hopefully they won't care too much. So sorry to hear about your own issues, I know what it's like man. You're an inspiration to me as someone with similar challenges and goals.

I appreciate your insight once again. I guess I will go ahead and apply to a couple schools since all I stand to lose is $$, and for those that I don't apply to, my app will already be verified, so once I add them, there shouldn't be too much delay. Thank you very much for your time!