DAT Finally Done! 7/15/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsguy20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this was my second go-around with the whole DAT and all I can say is, I'm finally glad it's over!

Scores:

4/16/2011 7/15/2011
PAT: 21 (89.2%) 22 (93.4%)
QR: 18 (86.6%) 22 (97.9%)
RC: 19 (67.6%) 21 (76.7%)
BIO: 17 (55.7%) 21 (92.3%)
GC: 19 (79.9%) 21 (87.0%)
OC: 19 (75.7%) 22 (90.4%)
TS: 18 (70.2%) 22 (95.6%)
AA: 18 (72.5%) 21 (93.4%):D

cGPA: 3.81 sGPA: 3.72

As you can probably tell, I am super happy with the improvement I made from the first time around the process.

Materials I used: DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, KBB, Kaplan flash cards, Cliff's AP Bio, Topscore, and CDP

As for the test...
BIO
Just about as random as everyone makes it seem. Despite this fact, it is attainable to know everything in there, it is just not predictable enough to try. Something I would suggest that I should have done more would to be vary your resources to really get a different perspective on this section. Maybe adding in another book, like Barron's would have helped me, but I am happy the most with my improvement in this section. I did have quite a few questions on cell biology/molecular biology for those that wonder though.

GC
I did research in chemistry for a while, but it's still just not one of my favorite subjects. I feel that I had quite a few calculation problems and a few concept questions though, something that probably helped me. I would have liked to have used Chad's videos here, as I hear great things, but just didn't have the money for it, so if you do, I would recommend it for the concepts (the ones I more than likely missed).

OC
My least favorite subject!!! I know it's odd since it was my best science section, but I still don't like it. The destroyer road maps helped me out quite a bit here, but as others would say, knowing the mechanism is far greater than memorizing reagents and products. Overall, everything here is pretty conceptual and if I can make a 22 here, believe me when I say it, you can too!

PAT
Crack DAT Pat...It's all I used. I didn't even do the PAT sections in Topscore my second time around, I jused just CDP. I had a few tough questions, but overall, it was a little easier (not a whole lot) than CDP.

RC
You know, this section really does frustrate me. I really feel like this section is a real average booster for some, but I never did the art of it down. I used the Kaplan outline method, but search and destroy can only do so much for you. I have heard good things from Achiever on this section, but I wouldn't count on Topscore being your best resource here because the questions in those tests are all search and destroy. All in all, I'm not the best to take advice from here.

QR
I don't love math, but I do appreciate beating math, haha. I felt good as I was taking this section of the test. Math destroyer is the best for this section. I don't think that there was a single question on the test that wasn't in destroyer somewhere. With that though, there was a good mix of variety here.

I'm a Texas resident so I will be applying to all three schools here in Texas as well as the University of Louisville since I did SMDEP (Summer Medical and Dental Education Program) there last summer.

I have done research in chemistry and am starting research in biology this summer as well as shadowing under a general dentist and oral surgeon. I also volunteer at a local soup kitchen and am in the honors program at my school. Not trying to be haughty here in this section, just wanted to throw out a portion of my application so everyone knows where I'm coming from.

I'll be sending in my application at the start of next week. Hopefully I will be getting some interviews!!

Good luck to everyone in the process, wherever you may be!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice improvement bro. I don't know much about the Texas schools because I didn't want to do another application but I think your combination of DAT scores, GPA, and EC's will be competitive just about anywhere.

So, this was my second go-around with the whole DAT and all I can say is, I'm finally glad it's over!

Scores:

4/16/2011 7/15/2011
PAT: 21 (89.2%) 22 (93.4%)
QR: 18 (86.6%) 22 (97.9%)
RC: 19 (67.6%) 21 (76.7%)
BIO: 17 (55.7%) 21 (92.3%)
GC: 19 (79.9%) 21 (87.0%)
OC: 19 (75.7%) 22 (90.4%)
TS: 18 (70.2%) 22 (95.6%)
AA: 18 (72.5%) 21 (93.4%):D

cGPA: 3.81 sGPA: 3.72

As you can probably tell, I am super happy with the improvement I made from the first time around the process.

Materials I used: DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, KBB, Kaplan flash cards, Cliff's AP Bio, Topscore, and CDP

As for the test...
BIO
Just about as random as everyone makes it seem. Despite this fact, it is attainable to know everything in there, it is just not predictable enough to try. Something I would suggest that I should have done more would to be vary your resources to really get a different perspective on this section. Maybe adding in another book, like Barron's would have helped me, but I am happy the most with my improvement in this section. I did have quite a few questions on cell biology/molecular biology for those that wonder though.

GC
I did research in chemistry for a while, but it's still just not one of my favorite subjects. I feel that I had quite a few calculation problems and a few concept questions though, something that probably helped me. I would have liked to have used Chad's videos here, as I hear great things, but just didn't have the money for it, so if you do, I would recommend it for the concepts (the ones I more than likely missed).

OC
My least favorite subject!!! I know it's odd since it was my best science section, but I still don't like it. The destroyer road maps helped me out quite a bit here, but as others would say, knowing the mechanism is far greater than memorizing reagents and products. Overall, everything here is pretty conceptual and if I can make a 22 here, believe me when I say it, you can too!

PAT
Crack DAT Pat...It's all I used. I didn't even do the PAT sections in Topscore my second time around, I jused just CDP. I had a few tough questions, but overall, it was a little easier (not a whole lot) than CDP.

RC
You know, this section really does frustrate me. I really feel like this section is a real average booster for some, but I never did the art of it down. I used the Kaplan outline method, but search and destroy can only do so much for you. I have heard good things from Achiever on this section, but I wouldn't count on Topscore being your best resource here because the questions in those tests are all search and destroy. All in all, I'm not the best to take advice from here.

QR
I don't love math, but I do appreciate beating math, haha. I felt good as I was taking this section of the test. Math destroyer is the best for this section. I don't think that there was a single question on the test that wasn't in destroyer somewhere. With that though, there was a good mix of variety here.

I'm a Texas resident so I will be applying to all three schools here in Texas as well as the University of Louisville since I did SMDEP (Summer Medical and Dental Education Program) there last summer.

I have done research in chemistry and am starting research in biology this summer as well as shadowing under a general dentist and oral surgeon. I also volunteer at a local soup kitchen and am in the honors program at my school. Not trying to be haughty here in this section, just wanted to throw out a portion of my application so everyone knows where I'm coming from.

I'll be sending in my application at the start of next week. Hopefully I will be getting some interviews!!

Good luck to everyone in the process, wherever you may be!

GREAT JOB! thats awesome :) your second time around everything improved! I'm going to be taking my DAT on monday...do you have any suggestions for the RC part? that's the part I'm really struggling with and i heavily rely on search and destroy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Great Scores man!! Awesome Improvement!

Just curious to why you retook with an 18 on the first go around. I mean I can see that an 18 is kinda low but your GPA is stellar. Is this your second time to apply?

Hey!! You commented on my post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839495

You did an awesome job! Congratulations :) Your GPA and EC's look stellar too, I'm sure those interviews will come rolling around soon enough. It's probably a smart thing that you're applying to an OOS, I'm kind of second guessing my decision to only apply to three schools, but I guess I'll find out!

TMDSAS seems to be taking a while (or maybe that's normal, haha). I got my transcripts in about 2 weeks ago, and they're still listed as "not received", I'd hate to see how long it takes them to post my DAT now. Hopefully we're not too late!

Good luck on that personal statement! :) I'll keep you posted if I get any interviews!

Great scores!

Would you be kind enough to share what you did differently this time around? Was it using a different approach or different materials vs. first time or using same materials but studying harder this time?

Last edited:
why did you only highlight the AA? you need to highlight EVERYTHING cause thats what you did, you brought up every single score :thumbup:

Nice improvement bro. I don't know much about the Texas schools because I didn't want to do another application but I think your combination of DAT scores, GPA, and EC's will be competitive just about anywhere.

I'm hoping that's the case since I am applying to an out of state school! Thanks for the reply though, it's encouraging to hear from people who are doing the same thing. Good luck to you in your application, I hope to see your status become dental student!

GREAT JOB! thats awesome :) your second time around everything improved! I'm going to be taking my DAT on monday...do you have any suggestions for the RC part? that's the part I'm really struggling with and i heavily rely on search and destroy...

Thank you! Ooooh... The RC. I'm not the best at this section as you can see, but if you can get your hands on any type of practice passages with some tone/inference questions, it will really help. Good luck on your DAT, I look forward to seeing great results from you!

muy bueno

Haha, thank you very much!

Great Scores man!! Awesome Improvement!
Just curious to why you retook with an 18 on the first go around. I mean I can see that an 18 is kinda low but your GPA is stellar. Is this your second time to apply?

No, it's my first time applying, but to be completely honest, I was hoping to get multiple acceptances to be able to pick where I'm going to go.:xf: I just didn't feel confident in my 18 and more so, I really felt like I could do better and wanted to prove that I could. Thank you for the reply!

Hey!! You commented on my post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839495

You did an awesome job! Congratulations :) Your GPA and EC's look stellar too, I'm sure those interviews will come rolling around soon enough. It's probably a smart thing that you're applying to an OOS, I'm kind of second guessing my decision to only apply to three schools, but I guess I'll find out!

TMDSAS seems to be taking a while (or maybe that's normal, haha). I got my transcripts in about 2 weeks ago, and they're still listed as "not received", I'd hate to see how long it takes them to post my DAT now. Hopefully we're not too late!

Good luck on that personal statement! :) I'll keep you posted if I get any interviews!

Thanks man! Yea, TMDSAS did take a while to get my first scores, I actually mailed them the unofficial score report that prometric gave me to see what happens? They have my transcripts, now I'm just waiting for my score to go in and I'm set! Good luck to you, let me know when the interviews are, maybe I'll meet you in person.

Great scores!

Would you be kind enough to share what you did differently this time around? Was it using a different approach or different materials vs. first time or using same materials but studying harder this time?

It was definitely more so studying smarter, not harder. My first time around I used destroyer but didn't really take the time to know destroyer. The second time, each time I missed a problem or if I guessed on one, I would spend time understanding the right and wrong answer choices before I moved on. The approach did also change though. I went through destroyer twice while reading the cliffs AP bio book and then the 2 weeks before the test, I just practiced taking tests to get back in the feel and see if I needed any last minute work (which I did). Hope it helps, good luck to you!

why did you only highlight the AA? you need to highlight EVERYTHING cause thats what you did, you brought up every single score :thumbup:

Thank you dentalWorks. You actually commented on my first time around, thanks for the support and encouragement!

do u mind listing your topscore and CD
P scores?

Im actually away from my home for the weekend (relaxing after the test:D), but I will post another reply once I get back with all of my scores! It should be Monday, I hope that's ok.