DAT done, feel free to ask anything! 21AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
7 28 11
SECTION-SCORE-%
PAT -21 -88
QR -22 -98
RC -22 -84
BIO -21 -92
GC -22 -92
OC -20 -80

TA -21 -91
AA -21 -93

Will post detailed breakdown within a day, feel free to ask any questions about the exam!
thanks for everyones help on here!

To study, i had KBB and kaplans more in depth larger white book from a friend who took the course, and a friends kaplan mcat books. MCAT & K-Course had review questions in them, so that was helpful. I completely outlined all of KBB for me to review myself. Did topscore tests a few times, some of the science sections i would do openbook with the intent of memorizing it later.
Bought online ada test, which is poorly handled. Also used destroyer for math & science, did it through completely once. Took a kaplan practice test, but didnt grade it, and did CDP. Towards the end of studying i made study sheets based on topics of what i was weak on.

PAT - I'm stong on everything except angles, and angles were just as hard on the real pat as CDP. Folding, TFE, and patterns were all easier, and keyholes were on par. As i later mention, keyholes annoyed me in depth of angles and slanted walls, couldnt tell what was flat (which faces were slanted, front faces/back faces slanted, one slanted, both slanted? that frustrated me with one or two problems). scored comparable to how i was doing on CDP towards the end of my practice tests.

QR - im made a formula sheet which i used during my practice test, chads videos for prob and combination, and by the 10th test i had memorized formula sheet. i had 5 minutes left when i finished the DAT, which i never had doing practice tests. real test was easier, was expecting to do much better than 22 but i made silly mistakes im sure. i found the calculator worked well, i made sure to clear things ALOT and i would often double check my answers using varying forms (90/35, and then 9/3.5 for example just because i had hear paranoid stories)

RC- skimmed and outlined by paragraph using keywords, S&D. Real DAT was taxing, so reading was rough for me. Passages were 14, 22, 14 para's, i had no left over time, but i scored decent. the longer passage was not science based, and had alot of repetitive themes so was a bit tough getting throug. Did straight S&D for the 22 para one, regret not outlining it in retrospect.practice tests from topscore 22,20,25.

Bio- Same thing as expected, all over the place. just know as much as you can!
GC- ROUGHLY knew the formulas and how to execute them, knew trends in general, and general ideas. to be honest i couldnt even tell you which elements are transition metals so to do well here i feel is more test taking awareness then understanding. Dont get me wrong though, i did study..
OC- same here, rough understand of everything. some things which i found interesting i might wiki and it would stick, otherwise nothing too indepth here. made my own reaction sheet, did destroyer, and learned what i needed. i barely know what favors sn1 sn2 e1 e2 so take from that what you want. i just have my own method for studying/test taking. also did research in a orgo lab so knew alot of the application type thing such as nmr, recrystallization, vacuum filt, tlc, etc..
I also studied right up to the minute i took my test, with casual studying the morning of.

good luck everyone, just study hard and youll be fine.

let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d38dyzqF4gw

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats! You must feel great today.

How was CDP (assuming you used it) compared to the actual PAT? Some have said keyholes and TFE are more difficult.

How were the reading passages? Easier than expected? More difficult?

7 28 11
SECTION-SCORE-%
PAT -21 -88
QR -22 -98
RC -22 -84
BIO -21 -92
GC -22 -92
OC -20 -80

TA -21 -91
AA -21 -93

Will post detailed breakdown within a day, feel free to ask any questions about the exam!
thanks for everyones help on here!

BEAST STATUS! Dat: Destroyed!

Members don't see this ad :)

How was CDP (assuming you used it) compared to the actual PAT? Some have said keyholes and TFE are more difficult.

bump around reading I was wondering if you used CDR at all? im concenred that everyone is saying its easier, i got a 23 on a CDR test last night. and am concerned because i got much lower on an Achiever reading passage

My CDP scores drastically improved from my first PAT to my 10th, starting out in the high teens and ending up in the mid 20's. I would be all over the board on angles, and could probably score on avg 9 correct angles, and would miss 1 question from the other sections combined. I think on the real dat i probably did very well on everything except angles, and maybe one keyhole.

PAT (vs CDP)
Keyholes - comparable to real DAT, had two annoying keyholes where i was having depth issues, couldnt tell which faces were slanted, front faces/back faces slanted, one slanted, both slanted? that frustrated me with one or two problems.
TFE- real DAT was very easy
angles- equally as hard, and this one i feel scored especially poor on. many angles were in sets of two's i believe (two similar & two similar)
hole punching- very easy
pattern - very easy except for one which had a square, with a elevated right trapezoid on top of part of it. all the answers seemed the same!

reading
mouse scroll bar didnt work. passages were rough for me, 14, 22, 14 para's did s&d with outlining for the 14 para passages, and skimmed the 22 para one.
honestly s&d was very stressful for this and i had no left over time, but i scored decent. the longer passage was not science based, and had alot of repetitive themes so was a bit tough getting through

bump around reading I was wondering if you used CDR at all? im concenred that everyone is saying its easier, i got a 23 on a CDR test last night. and am concerned because i got much lower on an Achiever reading passage
my only practice reading was on topscore
1- 22
2-20
3-25

I personally felt topscore was a little easier to outline, during the first passage i outlined with keywords and did s&d. my handwriting was scribble and it was a bit hard to locate the topics. second passage i gave up outlining and straight went s&d. this was probably a mistake. I only had one tone question (simple), one finish the conclusion with one more sentence, and one question giving two statements and determining (T/F // T/F) most of the rest were straight S&D with a couple of which of the following statements are true. Also, i noticed that for the 22para passage that i didnt outline/skim (everything was too similar/bland to even pick up anything from skimming) the first couple of questions were sequential, so if i didnt know where anything was, i would reskim the passage for each question, and reread everything before finding the answer. (ie skim for q1 answer (found para 7), skim for q2 ( para 13) skim for q3 (para 18) ETC.

-let me know if my rambling didnt make sense somewhere :)

my only practice reading was on topscore
1- 22
2-20
3-25

I personally felt topscore was a little easier to outline, during the first passage i outlined with keywords and did s&d. my handwriting was scribble and it was a bit hard to locate the topics. second passage i gave up outlining and straight went s&d. this was probably a mistake. I only had one tone question (simple), one finish the conclusion with one more sentence, and one question giving two statements and determining (T/F // T/F) most of the rest were straight S&D with a couple of which of the following statements are true. Also, i noticed that for the 22para passage that i didnt outline/skim (everything was too similar/bland to even pick up anything from skimming) the first couple of questions were sequential, so if i didnt know where anything was, i would reskim the passage for each question, and reread everything before finding the answer. (ie skim for q1 answer (found para 7), skim for q2 ( para 13) skim for q3 (para 18) ETC.

-let me know if my rambling didnt make sense somewhere :)

awesome stuff! thanks! how bout bio? random as hell?

awesome stuff! thanks! how bout bio? random as hell?
i mean yea i guess so, i think bio is pretty straight forward as far as what you can expect ya know? no secrets there, just try and understand as much as possible. KBB was enough to easily get a 20 if you understand it all, and destroyer helps show trends of questions and display personal topic weaknesses. most of my bio knowledge came from all my major related courses like genetics/biochem/animal phys etc.