my third crack at the DAT 7-30-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rccostner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I took the DAT for the third and final time. The first time I took it was in 2007 (TS:17, AA:18) and I took it again in 2008 (TS:19, AA:19) but was never able to get more than one interview and no acceptances. I considered walking away from dentistry, but after a year I realized that a degree in Biology would never amount to much in the real world. So, I decided to take another crack at the beast.
For the last seven weeks I have been studying about 30 hours per week and this last week I put in about 50-60 hours to prepare for test day. I used DAT Destroyer, OChem Odyssey, Math Destroyer, KBB, Barron's book, Chad's Videos, Thinkwell video biology, Khan academy videos, TopScore, and both the 2007 and 2009 DAT exams. Everything was useful in it's own way and I pulled a lot of information from these message boards, so thanks to all of you as well.
So, here's the breakdown:

Bio: 23
GChem: 23
Ochem: 20
TS: 22
PAT: 22
RC: 22
QR: 26
AA: 23

In my opinion the actual test today was a nice mix of the 2007 and 2009 DAT exams, but unlike other people I feel it was more like the 2007 test. I actually had one question directly from that test, so that was a nice relief. When I practiced with each I scored a TS:25, AA:23 on the 2007 and a TS:20, AA:20 on 2009, so my scores are closer to the 2007 practice. TopScore was helpful for covering a broad scope of material and getting my timings down. Chad's videos, Thinkwell biology, and DAT Destroyer were by far the most helpful materials. The Math Destroyer obviously did its job, as the math today seemed way too easy in comparison.
To everyone who has failed or will fail at their first attempt at the DAT: DON'T GIVE UP! You can beat this test!

Members don't see this ad.

Today I took the DAT for the third and final time. The first time I took it was in 2007 (TS:17, AA:18) and I took it again in 2008 (TS:19, AA:19) but was never able to get more than one interview and no acceptances. I considered walking away from dentistry, but after a year I realized that a degree in Biology would never amount to much in the real world. So, I decided to take another crack at the beast.
For the last seven weeks I have been studying about 30 hours per week and this last week I put in about 50-60 hours to prepare for test day. I used DAT Destroyer, OChem Odyssey, Math Destroyer, KBB, Barron's book, Chad's Videos, Thinkwell video biology, Khan academy videos, TopScore, and both the 2007 and 2009 DAT exams. Everything was useful in it's own way and I pulled a lot of information from these message boards, so thanks to all of you as well.

In my opinion the actual test today was a nice mix of the 2007 and 2009 DAT exams, but unlike other people I feel it was more like the 2007 test. I actually had one question directly from that test, so that was a nice relief. When I practiced with each I scored a TS:25, AA:23 on the 2007 and a TS:20, AA:20 on 2009, so my scores are closer to the 2007 practice. TopScore was helpful for covering a broad scope of material and getting my timings down. Chad's videos, Thinkwell biology, and DAT Destroyer were by far the most helpful materials. The Math Destroyer obviously did its job, as the math today seemed way too easy in comparison.
To everyone who has failed or will fail at their first attempt at the DAT: DON'T GIVE UP! You can beat this test!

jawdrop1.jpg

good job!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, great scores man!! I am sure this will be the year for you. If you dont mind me asking, what is your GPA?

Wow, great scores man!! I am sure this will be the year for you. If you dont mind me asking, what is your GPA?

Not that great - GPA 3.3, science GPA 3.2, but when I applied last they were about 3.2 and 3.0, respectively. That's really been the thing holding me back to this point. I've been taking and retaking a bunch of science classes during the last year and I just started a master's program last month, so hopefully I can put that behind me at this point.

"Only through dedicated work does a man fulfill himself." That, my friend, is what I think of you at this time. Great scores & improvement! I'm sure some schools will find your dedication and work ethic worthwhile! :)

wow very inspirational! I'm curious what were your biology section scores. And if you improved, what do you think helped you the most improving?

wow very inspirational! I'm curious what were your biology section scores. And if you improved, what do you think helped you the most improving?

Both previous tests I scored an 18 in the biology section, so I was really happy with my improvement this time. As far as what helped the most, probably retaking cell bio and genetics as well as watching the thinkwell biology videos. Also, this time through I tried to study more with a partner which forced me to learn the material so that I could explain it to someone else.

How did u improve ur RC? i'm really having a hard time with it. :(

Honestly, I didn't improve that much from my previous tests. But I practiced a lot more this time around. I used the two DAT exams and the three TopScore exams along with some Kaplan sections and practiced my timing a lot. It also helped that I took a speed reading class a year ago, but it can only help a little bit when you're reading such detailed scientific material. For the first two passages I used the note-taking method and it was effective but time consuming as these were the two more detailed passages. Luckily the last passage what not that complex and I was able to just scan for the answers quickly.