DAT done 8/16/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jevan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well...this is my first post on sdn- but I got a ton of useful info from these DAT prep breakdowns that helped me out tremendously on my dat- so i feel like I can give a little back with a breakdown of my own....

25 PAT
19 RChttp://dkmg2azsloi0e.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/redface.gif
24 QR
26 BIO
26 GC
26 OC
26 TS
24 AA
im sure d-schools are going to assume im e.s.l. when they look at my scores...that CR score doesnt look so bad but it was 19= 67th percentile which is equivalent to about a 16 in qr. i dont know why that is and it seems kind of ridiculous but i cannot complain.

PAT-I really only used crackpat and it was very helpful for most areas but some of there stuff is just insanely overdone. I think 5 tests is plenty too, the rest was overkill for me.
Cubes-hello? who is telling crackdat to make optical illusions with the cubes?has anybody ever seen that? the cube figures on the dat were half the size and not optical illusions! I understand trying to make it harder so we are prepared for anything, but seriously this was such a misrepresentation of the cube section.
Hole Punching-Very good overall...but i had no half-hole punches if u know what i mean...also there was a fold that the dat had on like 5 of my q's that wasnt in crackpat but i saw it in the 2009 ada sample, where they fold the paper over 3/4ths of the way- meaning fold the paper so 1/4 of the paper is 1 thickness and 3/8ths is 2 thicknesses while 3/8ths of the original area is paperless... hard to explain but thats what it is.
Keyholes- more focused on sizes on the real dat, but this was still good prep
tfe- on the money
pattern- pretty good, but the dat had more folding diff irregular shapes that werent symmetrical or immediately obvious.
angles-on the money

RC- used crack reading- it was ok...i ranged from 18-23 on these so i guess this was representative of the level of difficulty of the dat passages but the question types were very different. At the end of each of my passages i was asked "which is the most likely closing sentence for this passage?"- they should start adding that q into crack exams instead of "where would i most likely find this passage?" I used s&d and it served me well...only thing that killed me was coming into the room late from my break- man did those 15 minutes fly by...i got back with a min to spare but somebody was getting fingerprinted and i had to wait to resign in...came to the test with 4 min burned off and it really freaked me out. honestly 4 min isnt that much so if i wouldve held it together i'd have done better cus my passages were pretty easy...o well, u win some u lose some-id say i had an overall win...

QR- I used Math Destroyer first and it was sooo hard at first but i worked at it and eventually i got good enough to do 95% of it...Then I started using crackmath- which was good bcs it had different types of questions to practice than destroyer- it felt more like the test bcs its timed too... i did 20 tests my first test after going thru math destroyer was a 20 and my las 10 scores were 25-30, i think the last 15 tests r way easier and the crack pple just got lazy with it. overall i think practice was ultimately the most important thing, but math destroyer was more representative of the section than crackmath. but i say getting crack is still worth it

BIO- What a ridiculous section! i thought i did much worse i had to guess blindly at a few- i dont know what im allowed to say about the test but it wasnt so random in the topics it tested, but the ways they asked questions were odd- i will say this; know cliffs bio and understand it- meaning dont memorize a definition that you wouldnt be able to apply- bcs 90% of the q's were application q's. Destroyer was great too for randomness that u actually needed to know and Datqvault was also good for the thoughtful q's.

GC- Straight up destroyer- with all the math set up for u so barely any calculations. a couple strange conceptual ones though.

OC- Everything was easy, straight up if u know destroyer except for two questions... one was a rexn that i actually googled and it doesnt exist/occur
the other was a pretty difficult lab q that im still not sure about...but really that was just a random q, no way to study for that...but the rest was actually very easy.

Crack science- Came for free with my bundle package...the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen...asking about quarks?? craziest thing ive seen in a while, those science sections would stump professors...i went to my orgo prof and asked if she had heard of a certain rexn they had in there- she said ya its a chemical test shed have to look up in one of her graduate school textbooks...i just dont understand why they would do that? wouldnt it be easier to just ask really simple q's like how many bonds does carbon make? i mean why go through the trouble of researching graduate level orgo to make such terrible prep materials, when there r so many easier ways to misrepresent the dat??

now its time to enjoy the little bit of summer i have left...

Members don't see this ad.

Wow another silent gladiator lol...

no postings, hidden in the bushes, then jumps out of nowhere, strikes hard and destroys, and then rides off in the sunset with a closing score report thread.

Great job dude, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
frogg and letsgo2dschool- u guys r awesome! its so cool ur posting on my thread now...in my mind u guys are 2 of the most prolific dat forum posters- cant tell u how many of ur threads ive read.. thanks- now my question is, do u think I have a chance at any scholarships with a 4.0 sci gpa and a 3.9 overall- nothing crazy on my app-no research, just general dentistry shadowing and some avg volunteer hours...i heard penn gives out some scholarships...but based on these forums i feel like they could get 100 kids with 24's and i might even have to fight for a seat...

frogg and letsgo2dschool- u guys r awesome! its so cool ur posting on my thread now...in my mind u guys are 2 of the most prolific dat forum posters- cant tell u how many of ur threads ive read.. thanks- now my question is, do u think I have a chance at any scholarships with a 4.0 sci gpa and a 3.9 overall- nothing crazy on my app-no research, just general dentistry shadowing and some avg volunteer hours...i heard penn gives out some scholarships...but based on these forums i feel like they could get 100 kids with 24's and i might even have to fight for a seat...

I'm not any of those cool kids, but I thought I can be of assistance haha.

The penn scholarship is called the Dean's scholarship and it's given to 25 of the most qualified students. Penn has a class of around 120 students, so ~1/5 entering students receive this. You don't apply for it, it's automatically given to you in your acceptance letter.

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academi...holarships/penn_dental_medicine_financial_aid

Penn Dental Medicine Dean's Scholarships
Each year, the Admissions Office awards Dean's Scholarships to up to 25 very accomplished students who have been offered admission. These scholarships recognize outstanding students on their academic as well as non-academic achievements. Among the factors considered in selecting
scholarship recipients are: academic record, DAT scores, extracurricular activities, pre-dental experience, research experience, community service and
leadership qualities, as assessed by the application and interview with the admissions committee. Recipients are selected from among those who are
admitted through the School's admissions process. There is no separate application for the Dean's Scholarships. Scholarships are equal to one-half of the annual tuition amount and, for recipients who remain eligible, are renewable for a maximum of four years. To remain eligible for a scholarship beyond the first year, a recipient must maintain a 3.0 grade point average and remain in good standing. Only students who received a Dean's Scholarship upon matriculation are eligible to receive the scholarship in subsequent years

They rank their applicants based on all factors, and your application might be weak on the ECs. In the end, you won't know if you will get it unless you get in. Hope that helps.

Whoa we have almost identical stats. I'm not counting on scholarships, it would be enough just to get in to somewhere like Penn for me.

Where did you go to school for undergrad?

hehe albino polar bear now! wow all the big guns- yeah i was worried about the e.c.'s i really didnt realize dschools were so into that when I started out on this journey...i was under the impression that it was more of a medschool madness...i really hope it doesnt come back to bite me...u think its worth a shot to start doing some dental research now?

do u know of any other schools with scholarship programs?- r there any schools that offer full rides?
I wouldve assumed 99.9%tile aa's were rare had i never come to sdn(tho i also wouldnt have the score i got), and i wouldve assumed id get scholarships everywhere they were offered- turns out im just another fish in a very big pond...and with my weak e.c.'s i could even be bumped out of places like penn and columbia...kinda disappointed that i didnt do my research earlier...

Last edited:
do u know of any other schools with scholarship programs?

I wouldn't rely on scholarships if I were you. You can ask if you're competitive for scholarships at the interview.

Harvard's tuition is 42k/year, compared to Penn's 62k/year, so I guess you're getting a 20k 'scholarship' going to Harvard. haha. But it's not that easy to get into Harvard (huge understatement), since the class is only 35 students. I'm not sure about Columbia, but none of the heavyweights from last year said anything about scholarships there.

Oh, congrats on that awesome score, and don't worry about the reading. They don't see the percentiles, just the score, and a 19 is great!

do u know of any other schools with scholarship programs?- r there any schools that offer full rides?
I wouldve assumed 99.9%tile aa's were rare had i never come to sdn(tho i also wouldnt have the score i got), and i wouldve assumed id get scholarships everywhere they were offered- turns out im just another fish in a very big pond...and with my weak e.c.'s i could even be bumped out of places like penn and columbia...kinda disappointed that i didnt do my research earlier...

Yeah apparently, many top schools use the DAT as a flag. You passed a certain point and then your leadership potential, research potential, ECs, etc, are compared.

Which state are you from and are you applying to any state schools?

Are you applying this cycle?

oh good news about the percentiles...ya harvard doesnt fit with me- i went to city schools and i didnt do anything cool or special, ever, except for...wait, nothing

I wouldn't rely on scholarships if I were you. You can ask if you're competitive for scholarships at the interview.

Harvard's tuition is 42k/year, compared to Penn's 62k/year, so I guess you're getting a 20k 'scholarship' going to Harvard. haha. But it's not that easy to get into Harvard (huge understatement), since the class is only 35 students. I'm not sure about Columbia, but none of the heavyweights from last year said anything about scholarships there.

Oh, congrats on that awesome score, and don't worry about the reading. They don't see the percentiles, just the score, and a 19 is great!

From Columbia University College of Dental Medicine's Bulletin:
Dean’s Academic Scholarships: Two or three incoming first-year students receive approximately one-half tuition
in recognition of past academic performance and potential for unusual excellence in the profession. These
scholarships are renewed for four years provided satisfactory academic progress and professional demeanor are
maintained.
Basically you have to be an ET to get one.

ok- thats what i thought, no chance for scholarships if ur normal... i thought i might be able to pretend im a foreigner with my rc score tho- but i dont know how long id be able to keep up that act

Haha, even the SDN heavyweights from last year couldn't get the Columbia one. Probably should have been building hospitals in third world countries than spend so much time on this forum.