8/19/11 DAT done...feedback needed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2010 DAT-----2011 DAT

PAT: 17----------18
QR: 16-----------17
RC: 17-----------17
BIO: 16----------15 (fml)
GC: 18-----------17 :thumbdown:
OC: 15-----------20 (really happy about this improvement)
TS: 16-----------17
AA: 16-----------17

Just graduated as a bio major (ironic right?) few months ago: (GPA Inc +-)
BCP 3.58
Science 3.59
Non-Science 3.74
Total 3.64

What I've used:
AP Cliff
KBB
Destroyer (2 times)
Chad orgo + gchem (watched the videos once and took all the quizzes)
Crack PAT (the 5-test version...averaged around 18 and my score shows it)
Crack MATH (the 10-test version and I averaged around 19s...not sure why i got a 17)
Achiever (the 3-test version)
TopScore

BIO:
I have no idea what happened with bio...I even studied harder this time and knew like 4x times more than last time...plus I did really well in my biology classes (except one of them I got a B-) and I've taken and aced classes such as genetics and histology (which are kind of challenging IMO) and I just feel like my score doesn't truly reflect my understanding of bio....I know everyone says it's a really broad topic on the DAT but i am really bummed out with this score.

Chem:
Chem didn't get harder than before but the wording is just not as common as Destroyer and such but def. less calculations involved compared to other prep materials.

OChem:
Thanks to Chad and Destroyer...one thing I am really content about my DAT (as the score indicates) is my improvement on this subject. I aced it in college but on the first test didn't prepare for it well and got slapped in the face really hard...but this time, going over Chad videos, quizzes and knowing the OChem part of Destroyer very well it all helped me to do well.

PAT:
I was averaging around 18 on Crack DAT PAT and was very "average" on this section anyway & i'm not happy nor sad about this section.

RC:
My passages weren't hard at all and I thought I would get a 19 or something but I've never been good at this section so...what schools have a cutoff of 18?

MATH:
I've aced calculus in college and really enjoy math (excluding probability stuff :confused:) and got all 19s or 20s on Crack DAT MATH and kind of disappointed with my score.

I know the average scores on SDN is above 19 and I feel even crappier about my scores but this site has been REALLY helpful so thank you all who have contributed and answered questions and such. Also, many thanks to dentalWorks' study plan. I've been studying for this since June 1st averaging about 5 hours per day (took days off as well) and overall, as you can tell, not excited about my scores.

I've already sent my my primary applications to BU, Tufts, Temple, Maryland...etc and will send my secondaries this Monday.

My questions is...
Is there any hope for me to get in??? :scared:I will also check this forum to see what my chances are but any additional feedback is appreciated...also, any particular school you recommend me to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, its not impossible with your score. How long did you study for this time? Are you sure you know all the concepts for the sciences? Did you watch Chad's video until you understood it well? I think there is a disparity between your GPA and your score. I'd expect at least a 19 with your GPA, but thats just my opinion.

That bio score is really going to hurt you with a lot of schools. The AA and TS is acceptable for admission with that gpa (which is really nice by the way) for certain schools but you should seriously consider retake solely because of the bio score. Unless you are a URM you should really think about a retake or at least call the schools that you are applying to and discuss minimum cutoffs.

2010 DAT 2011 DAT

PAT: 17 18
QR: 16 17
RC: 17 17
BIO: 16 15 (fml)
GC: 18 17 :thumbdown:
OC: 15 20 (really happy about this improvement)
TS: 16 17
AA: 16 17

Just graduated as a bio major (ironic right?) few months ago: (GPA Inc +-)
BCP 3.58
Science 3.59
Non-Science 3.74
Total 3.64

What I've used:
AP Cliff
KBB
Destroyer (2 times)
Chad orgo + gchem (watched the videos once and took all the quizzes)
Crack PAT (the 5-test version...averaged around 18 and my score shows it)
Crack MATH (the 10-test version and I averaged around 19s...not sure why i got a 17)
Achiever (the 3-test version)
TopScore

BIO:
I have no idea what happened with bio...I even studied harder this time and knew like 4x times more than last time...plus I did really well in my biology classes (except one of them I got a B-) and I've taken and aced classes such as genetics and histology (which are kind of challenging IMO) and I just feel like my score doesn't truly reflect my understanding of bio....I know everyone says it's a really broad topic on the DAT but i am really bummed out with this score.

Chem:
Chem didn't get harder than before but the wording is just not as common as Destroyer and such but def. less calculations involved compared to other prep materials.

OChem:
Thanks to Chad and Destroyer...one thing I am really content about my DAT (as the score indicates) is my improvement on this subject. I aced it in college but on the first test didn't prepare for it well and got slapped in the face really hard...but this time, going over Chad videos, quizzes and knowing the OChem part of Destroyer very well it all helped me to do well.

PAT:
I was averaging around 18 on Crack DAT PAT and was very "average" on this section anyway & i'm not happy nor sad about this section.

RC:
My passages weren't hard at all and I thought I would get a 19 or something but I've never been good at this section so...what schools have a cutoff of 18?

MATH:
I've aced calculus in college and really enjoy math (excluding probability stuff :confused:) and got all 19s or 20s on Crack DAT MATH and kind of disappointed with my score.

I know the average scores on SDN is above 19 and I feel even crappier about my scores but this site has been REALLY helpful so thank you all who have contributed and answered questions and such. Also, many thanks to dentalWorks' study plan. I've been studying for this since June 1st averaging about 5 hours per day (took days off as well) and overall, as you can tell, not excited about my scores.

I've already sent my my primary applications to BU, Tufts, Temple, Maryland...etc and will send my secondaries this Monday.

My questions is...
Is there any hope for me to get in??? :scared:I will also check this forum to see what my chances are but any additional feedback is appreciated...also, any particular school you recommend me to apply?

great OC improvement :thumbup:, however, I'm a little worried about your BIO score. Did you use the same study approach from your first attempt?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, its not impossible with your score. How long did you study for this time? Are you sure you know all the concepts for the sciences? Did you watch Chad's video until you understood it well? I think there is a disparity between your GPA and your score. I'd expect at least a 19 with your GPA, but thats just my opinion.

trust me...i feel the same and expected the same...especially after watching chads, i was expecting a solid improvement on my genchem (just like my ochem) but i think i just performed badly and focused so much on not getting anything wrong on acid/basis topics...Kb, pH...etc (where i found myself to not be really comfortable on) but i got nothing on those topics...

do you think BU, NYU or Tufts is an option for me?

Last edited:
great OC improvement :thumbup:, however, I'm a little worried about your BIO score. Did you use the same study approach from your first attempt?

thanks! I'm happy about the OC too...last time i didn't go over destroyer, Cliff but this time I did go over them but didn't improve at all :(

I would appreciate more feedback fellow SDNers.

Thanks.

Well, if you feel that you can bring up your BIO score by at 2 or 3 points, you should def. retake. Also, focus on improving your GC and OC. I feel that these two sections are AA boosters because they're easier to improve upon than bio. Your GPA is very good and a solid AA would complement it quite nicely. I know that you may not be able to retake it due to time/financial constraints but considering that you have the potential to be a strong candidate, it is something you should definitely think about.

edit: Just wanted to make it clear that I'm not saying you're a poor candidate right now. I'm not in the position to pass that sort of judgement.

I feel like you need to figure out why you're scoring below average on the DAT. It seems you have a good background and have spent the right amount of time on the right resources. What are your practice tests like? Have you tried topscore or 2007, 2009 ADA? Scores?

I just think it would be really difficult to get in with that low of bio.

WOW. I seriously thought you are guaranteed a 20+ AA if you use Chad's, destroyer, Cliff, KBB, and CDP.

I am terrified now:(

WOW. I seriously thought you are guaranteed a 20+ AA if you use Chad's, destroyer, Cliff, KBB, and CDP.

nothing is guaranteed scarlet! I had a very tough GC and OC sections, and while Chad and Destroyer were good, I had a tough time and got so so scores. Meanwhile other people get easier versions of the exam and get 20+ and suffer in other sections. I think the DAT is a 50% luck factor exam, it seems that the only thing that separates people is the "scaling" but I dont believe that matters because I know my sciences were harder than other peoples and I expected to do much better.

To the OP: A 15 in bio is going to be tough to overcome. To put that score into context you missed approx. 18-20 questions...almost half!! No dental school will look favorable upon that type of score. Looking at your other scores:

PAT: 17 18--> +1
QR: 16 17 --> +1
RC: 17 17--> +0
BIO: 16 15 (fml) --> -1
GC: 18 17 :thumbdown: --> -1
OC: 15 20 (really happy about this improvement) --> +5
TS: 16 17 --> +1
AA: 16 17 --> +1

You went up one in two sections and drastically improved your OC from a not so good score to an average score. On the other side, you went down in two sections...this does not look to good to dental schools when you retake. One would assume they would like to see that you learned from previous study habits that did not work, and improved across the board. The improvement in AA and TS was due to your improvement in OC from poor to average. A 17 TS means you missed around 35 questions out of 100...not great for the DAT.

Because of all this, I think a retake is a must. I hate to express bad news, but these scores are iffy for the schools you listed. Your GPA is very good, above average, and paired with a 19AA+ you would be in great shape. Unfortunately there is a major drop in acceptances once you drop below 18AA/TS.

Put all your efforts into a retake and knock it out of the park. Learn from your mistakes!! If these scores don't cut it you must change something from your previous two events.

Nothing is guaranteed on the DAT. It is a terrible idea to think by buying certain materials you are prepared for the test. The resources still need to be used properly...some use them well, and some do not -- hence lower scores.

nothing is guaranteed scarlet! I had a very tough GC and OC sections, and while Chad and Destroyer were good, I had a tough time and got so so scores. Meanwhile other people get easier versions of the exam and get 20+ and suffer in other sections. I think the DAT is a 50% luck factor exam, it seems that the only thing that separates people is the "scaling" but I dont believe that matters because I know my sciences were harder than other peoples and I expected to do much better.

Even if you got the "harder" exam, everyone who took the exam with you should face the same difficulty; thus, as long as you score higher than people who took it with you, then you would do well. Of course, if you had the "easier" exam, you still need to do better than average people. You are comparing yourself to other people not to the 100% scale.

Even if you got the "harder" exam, everyone who took the exam with you should face the same difficulty; thus, as long as you score higher than people who took it with you, then you would do well. Of course, if you had the "easier" exam, you still need to do better than average people. You are comparing yourself to other people not to the 100% scale.

:thumbup: Excellent point... I need to go hang out w/ Chad now...:cool: