BUCKEY's DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To begin I have to thank all of you for your time and effort in participating in this forum, it is a great vehicle for many people to know where to begin studying, how they should progress, and what to expect on DAT day, one of the scariest days of many peoples college life. Here are the scores from last year and this year
2010 2011
PAT 20 20 NC
QR 20 22 +2
RC 22 18 (52.2) -4 WTF! :shrug:
Bio 18 22 +4
GC 22 23 +1
OC 18 23 +5
TS 19 22(98.3) +3
AA 20 22(98.9) +2
cGPA 3.07 3.27
sGPA 2.40 2.94 (Hah I didn't know how bad it was til it came up on ADEA)
3.7/3.64 cGPA sGPA last 63 hours

(RC) 18! Ill start off by addressing the obvious and I'm speechless. I have no idea why my RC went down that much. I am an avid reader and I did not find the passages particularly challenging. Many times I was unsatisfied with the answer choices but knew what the answer to the question was. I did take about 25 minutes with the second passage and thought that the questions were a bit hard but the material in itself was not difficult. I would say that my only suggestion here is to develop and perfect a strategy. In my first attempt I used only S+D and this one I used the kaplan roadmap. I do not think that the strategy was bad but maybe poor pace.

(Bio) 22- Random but not deep. Breadth before depth. There were a lot of topics that were hit on the destroyer that showed up on this portion. I think that the DAT destroyer is essential for GC and OC and very helpful for this portion. Cliffs was good but not enough. This section has so much possible material in it that your rate of return per studying is much less than on OC and GC. 75% of the questions are very basic first year bio stuff but others come from elsewhere. If you were obsessed with a 30 in bio perhaps you might try and tackle Campbells but your time is more useful elsewhere.

(GC) 23- Chad is the man. I watched his videos once for my last DAT and then twice this time around. I could hear his voice like Obi-wan during a lot of questions. Mastering his lectures and quizzes will likely get you above a 20. With that said DAT destoyer is perfect practice and a great accompanier to his stuff. If your shooting for a 30 those two sources are key. Do not neglect anything that is in there.

(OC) 23- Pretty much identical to GC but I would say that the destoyer here is more helpful. Think of it as training with weights on your back. Yes it is a lot more difficult than the real test but if you can do a 4 step synthesis you can do a 2 step synthesis. I missed a stereochem concept that I'm kicking myself about.

(QR) 22- Know your test 11 and 12 for a 30. I did math destroyer and was averaging around a 24 so I am a bit disappointed but I took for granted some of the material on those last two tests, specifically the 12th. Know your trig inside out, there were some tough obscure questions that were very application based. Math destroyer is a good indicator of how you'll do.

(PAT) 20- About on par with CDP minus aperture passing, which was more difficult. The angles are provided in a different format than they were last year. Now they are encapsulated in a box per angle which is different than when they were just free floating on the page. It isn't really that important for how difficult it is but perhaps it could be used to one's advantage.

Ask any questions you've got. I'm applying this cycle to 15 schools with a very very cautious optimism that I might get 1 or 2 interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To begin I have to thank all of you for your time and effort in participating in this forum, it is a great vehicle for many people to know where to begin studying, how they should progress, and what to expect on DAT day, one of the scariest days of many peoples college life. Here are the scores from last year and this year
2010 2011
PAT 20 20 NC
QR 20 22 +2
RC 22 18 (52.2) -4 WTF! :shrug:
Bio 18 22 +4
GC 22 23 +1
OC 18 23 +5
TS 19 22(98.3) +3
AA 20 22(98.9) +2
cGPA 3.07 3.27
sGPA 2.40 2.94 (Hah I didn't know how bad it was til it came up on ADEA)
3.7/3.64 cGPA sGPA last 63 hours

(RC) 18! Ill start off by addressing the obvious and I'm speechless. I have no idea why my RC went down that much. I am an avid reader and I did not find the passages particularly challenging. Many times I was unsatisfied with the answer choices but knew what the answer to the question was. I did take about 25 minutes with the second passage and thought that the questions were a bit hard but the material in itself was not difficult. I would say that my only suggestion here is to develop and perfect a strategy. In my first attempt I used only S+D and this one I used the kaplan roadmap. I do not think that the strategy was bad but maybe poor pace.

(Bio) 22- Random but not deep. Breadth before depth. There were a lot of topics that were hit on the destroyer that showed up on this portion. I think that the DAT destroyer is essential for GC and OC and very helpful for this portion. Cliffs was good but not enough. This section has so much possible material in it that your rate of return per studying is much less than on OC and GC. 75% of the questions are very basic first year bio stuff but others come from elsewhere. If you were obsessed with a 30 in bio perhaps you might try and tackle Campbells but your time is more useful elsewhere.

(GC) 23- Chad is the man. I watched his videos once for my last DAT and then twice this time around. I could hear his voice like Obi-wan during a lot of questions. Mastering his lectures and quizzes will likely get you above a 20. With that said DAT destoyer is perfect practice and a great accompanier to his stuff. If your shooting for a 30 those two sources are key. Do not neglect anything that is in there.

(OC) 23- Pretty much identical to GC but I would say that the destoyer here is more helpful. Think of it as training with weights on your back. Yes it is a lot more difficult than the real test but if you can do a 4 step synthesis you can do a 2 step synthesis. I missed a stereochem concept that I'm kicking myself about.

(QR) 22- Know your test 11 and 12 for a 30. I did math destroyer and was averaging around a 24 so I am a bit disappointed but I took for granted some of the material on those last two tests, specifically the 12th. Know your trig inside out, there were some tough obscure questions that were very application based. Math destroyer is a good indicator of how you'll do.

(PAT) 20- About on par with CDP minus aperture passing, which was more difficult. The angles are provided in a different format than they were last year. Now they are encapsulated in a box per angle which is different than when they were just free floating on the page. It isn't really that important for how difficult it is but perhaps it could be used to one's advantage.

Ask any questions you've got. I'm applying this cycle to 15 schools with a very very cautious optimism that I might get 1 or 2 interviews.

congrats on the improvements!

Good job! What a great improvement. What did you do different this time around? Did you just study more?

I went into the destroyer more. I did it twice in the week coming up to the DAT and then I did chads videos again in this past week. The first time around I used the destroyer as more an evaluator than a textbook but its wealth is in the solutions sections

Members don't see this ad :)
I went into the destroyer more. I did it twice in the week coming up to the DAT and then I did chads videos again in this past week. The first time around I used the destroyer as more an evaluator than a textbook but its wealth is in the solutions sections

Congrats Buckey, those are gorgeous scores! My GPA is in the same boat as yours and I'm starting my post-bacc this month, so I'll be monitoring you throughout your application process. I hope everything goes well for you and I hope I get DAT scores as good as yours.

Congrats Buckey, those are gorgeous scores! My GPA is in the same boat as yours and I'm starting my post-bacc this month, so I'll be monitoring you throughout your application process. I hope everything goes well for you and I hope I get DAT scores as good as yours.

Yeah I was going to do that but I didn't apply until march and I didn't get in. I'm taking 21 upper level science hours (Neurology, unrequired physics and orgo, integrated bio, and anatomy) and hoping to post an impressive academic update

nice improvement on the score!!

and good luck with interviews in the future :)

It does seem like QR is getting a little harder. I underestimated QR also... I wish I went through 11 and 12 more deeply. I thought it was too hard so I went through Math Destroyer 11 and 12 only once and just left it alone - and just went through 1-10 again, but I encountered some monster questions that were on par with them. FML lol. I thought I was going to ace my math section with at least 22+ but that is certainly not the case.

yeah i was impressed with the style of questions. they were on par with math destroyer but even going through that twice you will still see some applications that are unfamiliar. i was really surprised that some of the more complicated probability showed up on the test

yeah I completely agree with you. I was impressed/surprised with word problems in general and also I did have a probability question that was by far harder than any of the Math Destroyer probability practice questions.