Osteopathic NS programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatsyourname

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any info on OUCOM/ doctors program? Or carillon clinic in VA? Or in general? Which are the best, which suck, hours for different hospitals, and how to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying this year for NS?

Any info on OUCOM/ doctors program? Or carillon clinic in VA? Or in general? Which are the best, which suck, hours for different hospitals, and how to get in?
I spent a few days with the Carilion program just checking it out and I was pretty impressed. They seem to get a good case load, and the teachers all seemed helpful. They have both DO and MD neurosurgeons on staff, so diversity is always a good thing. Also, the residents seemed happy. It was over a year ago though and I am not sure if things have changed at all. And there's no competing neurosurgery program in the close vicinity that i know of.

I spent a few days with the Carilion program just checking it out and I was pretty impressed. They seem to get a good case load, and the teachers all seemed helpful. They have both DO and MD neurosurgeons on staff, so diversity is always a good thing. Also, the residents seemed happy. It was over a year ago though and I am not sure if things have changed at all. And there's no competing neurosurgery program in the close vicinity that i know of.

Do any of these programs offer research opportunities for OMS's during the summer after the first year?

You should contact them yourself to ask. Very variable.

Program Contacts on AOA Opportunities

Hey do any of you guys know for sure if NSLIJ Neurosurgery program (in Long Island, NY) is converting to an allopathic program? I heard rumors from other programs it was (since they now have their own allopathic medical school). I e-mailed them but haven't gotten a response yet.

I dunno, i wish i could find somewhere with more information on the different programs. I know st John is good, but what about Doctors, Garden City, Grandview, PCOM, and so on...

Hey

It's been a while since I last posted something. I'm a 2nd year now. Getting closer to taking my step I. Has anyone rotated through DO NS residency? If so, how were they? I'm definitely interested in NS but not sure on DO vs MD residency.

Thanks

If you are interested in MD Neurosurgery residency as a DO student, you'd better have started last year. Contacting places, spending extra time there, doing lots of research, you MUST take USMLE Step 1. You will have to know someone, rotate at a couple MD spots, have solid research, and have a superb USMLE and GPA.

If you look at the latest ACGME match stats, in the last 4 years there have been 2 DO's taken out of ~750 positions...

All that being said, several of the DO programs offer solid training including PCOM, Providence, Carilion Clinic, Columbus, BroMenn.

Hey do any of you guys know for sure if NSLIJ Neurosurgery program (in Long Island, NY) is converting to an allopathic program? I heard rumors from other programs it was (since they now have their own allopathic medical school). I e-mailed them but haven't gotten a response yet.

LIJ has one DO spot and one MD spot. They only got approved by ACGME for 1 spot so they axed 1 DO spot and now instead of 2 DO they have 1 DO 1 MD per year. They will likely convert to 2 MD eventually.

Doctors (Which takes place mostly at Grant and Riverview, not Doctor's proper, actually), Is a good program. It is easily the least malignant surgical program I've seen in any specialty. The residents are all easy to work with, very laid back, and I got a good sense of 'family' from them.

Grant is the major trauma center in Columbus, so you get a good mix of traumatic spine, and cranial. Whereas Riverside does a LOT of fusions (5th in the country), Vascular, and tumor.

The 2 main neurosurg attendings at Grant are pretty damn awesome. One is laid back, cool as a cucumber, with very high expectations and trust of his residents. The other is a bit more on edge, with EXTREMELY high expectations for himself, his residents, and patient care. That is not to say he doesn't joke around, have a good time, etc.
There are ~ 15 attendings at Riverside in various specialties, along with a handful of Ortho guys at Grant that residents scrub w/ on spine and other neuro cases...

Cons: Grant's OR turnover and efficiency is the absolute worst I've ever seen in my life. It's atrocious, and often makes a day that should have been done by 4, last till 8 or later... Riverside on the otherhand is as efficient as any surgical center I've been to...

Their selection of residents is based on your rotation there. They don't 'interview', but if you perform well, work hard, and get along with the crew, you'll probably get a spot...

Many of the DO neurosurgery programs are excellent. A few are on par with, or even better than, many ACGME programs. I'd say Carilion/Virginia Tech and Providence/St. John's are considered the top tier ones right now with PCOM, Arrowhead and Columbus right behind.

As a note, Long Island is not accepting any DOs this year. The future of the DO side of that program is definitely in question.

Anyone applying this year? If you are, could you please put up impressions of different programs and maybe the stats that they require to match there?