financial aid in post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUgrad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
Does anyone know about financial aid for the post-bac programs? One of the options I was considering is taking the prereqs through my undergrad institution and I wouldn't be eligible for financial aid here (not even loans).
I was wondering if anyone knew any more about this, or if you could refer me to some of the programs that have good financial aid programs in place.
I would really appreciate any advice you could offer.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey there IUGRAD...as you can tell im an IU grad as well....i went through the same thing you are last year...after being waitlisted at my number one choice for med school, i had to devise a backup plan and thank goodness i did...unfortunately my spot never opened...but i found a way to take classes as a non-degree seeking student at the school anyway...and as for funding i did it through the bank one education one loan. let me give you the gist:
Good
*Quick and easy: took me 2 weeks from the time i applied till the time i got my check
*you can get up to $30,000
*comes in one big lump sum
*you get the same limit whether you are part time or full time
* you can get it in addition to other loans, ie if you need more money in med school
*you dont have to make payments until after your residency...works just like most med school loans!!!

the BAD:
*Very very very high origination fee, 9.5%
*relatively high interest rate: 6.5% i think
*almost everyone needs a co-signer

so put it all together and its really a great package if you have a co-signer. As for the origination fee...they way i looked at it is im going to be taking out tons of money for medical school...in the end what is a few grand!!!! As for the interest rate...you can consolidate whenever and get that rate down much lower...if you have any more questions feel free to PM me!!! Fin. aid is a B*&%$!!!!!