*~*~*~*Official FAFSA Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Pre-medical Allopathic staff decided to make an official FAFSA questions thread since there have been so many recent threads about it.

This thread has a FAQ in the next post and a search function, so please look for your answer before posting.

The FAFSA application is available online here.

Members don't see this ad.

FAQ

If you have a better answer to any of the following questions or if you have another FAQ to contribute, send me or any of the other preallo mods a PM letting us know!

Do I need to submit my parents information?
For federal aid purposes, you will be considered independent. However, most medical schools require you to submit your parents information if you wish to be considered for institutional financial aid or need-based scholarships. It is highly recommended that you submit the information.
What do I do for parents info if they're divorced?
From the FAFSA help: "If your parents have divorced or separated, provide information about the parent that you lived with most during the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, provide information about the parent who provided most of your financial support during the last 12 months." More specifics about who is considered a parent here.
What if I made a lot of money last year but don't plan to work during med school?
Most schools have an addendum that you can file to let them know this information. Contact the school in question for more information.
Can I add schools that I haven't been accepted to yet?
Yes, you should add any schools you could potentially go to. The FAFSA deadline for the school generally applies to all applicants, even if you haven't been accepted yet. They probably told you this at your interview day but your eyes were probably glazed over :)
How many schools can I add?
You can add up to 10 schools. If you want to add more than that, then you need to submit the form then go back to correct if with your additional choices.
Do I still fill one out even if I'm unsure whether or not I'll need a loan?
Yes, fill it out just in case. It is free after all and you can always decline any of the loans offered to you.
Can I still fill out my FAFSA if I haven't filed my taxes yet?
Yes, you can still fill it out before you or your parents file taxes. You need to return and correct your application after you file your taxes though.
What is the deadline to submit my FAFSA?
Be sure to pay attention to FAFSA and other financial aid deadlines! Most schools want you to submit your FAFSA by March 1. Here is the official FAFSA information on their deadlines (HTML version and PDF version). Most schools have their individual deadlines posted on their website. Alternatively, contact each school to find out. You don't want to miss the financial aid deadline.
How do I find the school code?
The FAFSA application has a built-in school code search engine. Sometimes the code is also available on the financial aid section of the school's website.

Last edited:
Where can I apply to other scholarships for medical school? I have parents who have helped me through college but now I'm on my own and I'm unsure where to start. I am applying this cycle (matriculate in 2017). Any suggestions? Do people apply just for FAFSA or are there other scholarships that we can apply to? Any advice on how to get loans? Thanks! I know this is a hefty post of questions, but I just would love an intro of how to start :) Thanks again :)