2012-2013 Texas Tech - El Paso Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
good luck everyone! I'll be starting here in July.

Do they separate acceptance averages for the 2 tech campuses?

Ditto. On your mdapps, it says you're only 18. TAMS alumni?
Thanks man! and no I actually have a friend and cousin who went through that.
I just did the full-time dual enrollment after sophomore year in HS at a local CC getting the HS diploma and Associates in a year, then transferred.

"This is to acknowledge our receipt of your application from the Texas Medical and Dental Application Service. Please remember that TMDSAS does not wait on transcripts, letters or test scores to process applications so we may not yet have all supporting documents. Please log into your TMDSAS application to check the status of those documents.

Office of Admissions
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Paul L. Foster School of Medicine
El Paso"

10 days after TMDSAS says they submitted my primary. So it begins!

"This is to acknowledge our receipt of your application from the Texas Medical and Dental Application Service. Please remember that TMDSAS does not wait on transcripts, letters or test scores to process applications so we may not yet have all supporting documents. Please log into your TMDSAS application to check the status of those documents.

Office of Admissions
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Paul L. Foster School of Medicine
El Paso"

10 days after TMDSAS says they submitted my primary. So it begins!

is there a secondary app for this school? can someone pls link me? i had trouble finding it.

Do we need to do anything to complete the El Paso profile on Merlin? I submitted my Lubbock secondary and there is a check mark by it on my applications page, but there is a wrench by the El Paso entry. Is there anything I need to click, or does it just stay like that? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, the wrench is all you need. I imagine Tech-EP will do all of the registration work once they get your primary.

i did not create a merlin account (only applied to san antonio, houston, el paso, and galveston -- none of which have secondaries) and i received an e-mail from el paso saying they've received my application. can't find anything on their website about needing to do anything outside of TMDSAS.

did i make a mistake?

Just got an interview invite 10 minutes ago! I'm beyond happy at this moment. Options for August 2nd and 9th, 8-3pm. I just picked the August 2nd date.

Did your status change from a wrench to a check?

I have read about the interview details, but haven't found into on where to stay and such. Can someone provide information regarding this "medical school shuttle" I've read about? Is there a specific hotel that we need to be at? Are most people getting rental cars?

how were you able to check status of application on texas tech el paso? I only made an account for texas tech lubbock.

I have read about the interview details, but haven't found into on where to stay and such. Can someone provide information regarding this "medical school shuttle" I've read about? Is there a specific hotel that we need to be at? Are most people getting rental cars?

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/admissions/documents/HOTELS_08_2011.pdf

Some info there about local hotels. It looks like its from 2011, but hopefully the discounts and free shuttles they mention still apply. :luck:

As for me, I'm flying in, taking a cab ride to a hotel (not sure which one yet), taking the shuttle to campus, and then a cab back to the airport. I won't really have time to see the city unfortunately, so I won't be renting a car.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/admissions/documents/HOTELS_08_2011.pdf

Some info there about local hotels. It looks like its from 2011, but hopefully the discounts and free shuttles they mention still apply. :luck:

As for me, I'm flying in, taking a cab ride to a hotel (not sure which one yet), taking the shuttle to campus, and then a cab back to the airport. I won't really have time to see the city unfortunately, so I won't be renting a car.

Thanks! Do you know if there is a place for us to put our bags? I'm thinking we may have to leave it at the hotel?

I haven't heard anything from this school. No interview invite and no confirmation email. You guys think I should call the admissions office to make sure they got my app? I was transmitted to schools on 5/18. I got 1 interview at UTMB which I am excited about, but I haven't received anything from any of the other Texas schools.

Thanks! Do you know if there is a place for us to put our bags? I'm thinking we may have to leave it at the hotel?

No problem! And I'm honestly not sure about bags. Since plenty of interviewees have to go straight to the airport, they're probably used to putting luggage somewhere. At least I hope since I was planning on bringing my stuff to the interview.

you can keep your bags in the room where they go over the presentation of the school. I believe a member of staff is in there the whole day to watch them and keep them safe! Nearly everyone had a bag as most people go straight from there to the airport

I haven't heard anything from this school. No interview invite and no confirmation email. You guys think I should call the admissions office to make sure they got my app? I was transmitted to schools on 5/18. I got 1 interview at UTMB which I am excited about, but I haven't received anything from any of the other Texas schools.

No, they probably haven't gotten to you yet, or you're not a "fit". I think UTMB is interviewing a lot of high MCAT/GPA numbers right now so you should feel great. El Paso is interviewing people that have good numbers but also where they see a fit. For example, I went to Tech for my pharmacy school, so I'm alumni? Others may speak Spanish fluently, from west texas, etc. That's at least what I think. What are your numbers btw?

you can keep your bags in the room where they go over the presentation of the school. I believe a member of staff is in there the whole day to watch them and keep them safe! Nearly everyone had a bag as most people go straight from there to the airport

Thanks!

No, they probably haven't gotten to you yet, or you're not a "fit". I think UTMB is interviewing a lot of high MCAT/GPA numbers right now so you should feel great. El Paso is interviewing people that have good numbers but also where they see a fit. For example, I went to Tech for my pharmacy school, so I'm alumni? Others may speak Spanish fluently, from west texas, etc. That's at least what I think. What are your numbers btw?

Wrong. They interview people in the order the receive the applications. They don't interview based on "fit". The only advantage to submitting early is that if you don't get an interview in the first round of interviews then you have a chance to get one later in the cycle when they re review the early apps.

Does anyone know if the next first year class size will increase up to 100 from 80?

Wrong. They interview people in the order the receive the applications. They don't interview based on "fit". The only advantage to submitting early is that if you don't get an interview in the first round of interviews then you have a chance to get one later in the cycle when they re review the early apps.

I'm not doubting you buddy, but how do you explain the fact that my friend has better stats than me and he's not getting interviewed...yet? We turned in our apps at round the same time.

Every school gives out interviews due to the fact that they see you as a fit within their mission. Of course the earlier you submit, the earlier you interview, but they also select you based on how you fit. I would be surprised otherwise.

I'm not doubting you buddy, but how do you explain the fact that my friend has better stats than me and he's not getting interviewed...yet? We turned in our apps at round the same time.

Every school gives out interviews due to the fact that they see you as a fit within their mission. Of course the earlier you submit, the earlier you interview, but they also select you based on how you fit. I would be surprised otherwise.

Not what I meant. I meant that their interview order isn't based on "fit", it's based on the order they receive apps. The fact that your friend didn't get an interview yet isn't because he isn't as good of a "fit", it's because they don't think he's enough of a fit to warrant an interview. That might change later in the cycle, probably after they go through all of the apps.

Eventually you will probably hear some rumor about Texas schools spreading out their good applicants over the course of the season, something about them having the interview fresh in their mind when it comes to ranking. This doesn't actually happen, it's just an excuse.

The fact that your friend didn't get an interview yet isn't because he isn't as good of a "fit", it's because they don't think he's enough of a fit to warrant an interview. That might change later in the cycle, probably after they go through all of the apps.

Yep, this is what I was trying to say...not the fact that "fit" alone would be the main, or sole indicator.

Congrats to all who received an interview.
I submitted very early, and my stats are decent (uGPA 4, MCAT 36). I haven't received an invite, so I am assuming that something else may be wrong in my app. I got an invite to UTMB though. well good luck to all and enjoy!

And for the ones who are invited, when did you submit your app? I submitted mine on May 13th.

Last edited:
riseagainsthoya,

you should have received a confirmation email. I submitted before 5/20 and got the confirmation on 6/1. No invite though

I stand corrected, just received an invite but for texas tech lubbock, not el-paso.

Just received an interview!!!! August 16th
:soexcited:

Congrats. You sure it is El Paso? Mind sharing you stats?
Well I wish you good luck.

Congrats. You sure it is El Paso? Mind sharing you stats?
Well I wish you good luck.

Yeah, I got the email that told me to log into Merlin, and when I got there I checked my Foster SOM interview schedule box and it had dates to select from. I'm still hoping and waiting for Lubbock too...

In-State, cGPA 3.94, sGPA 3.92, MCAT 31S

OK, I see that most who got Foster Interview didn't get Lubbock yet, and apparently the ones who got Lubbock interview didn't get Foster.
Anyone here who landed both interviews? Are El Paso and Lubbock independent or is there some kind of relationship (aside that it is the same University)?
Anyway, good luck and enjoy the ride.

Yeah, I got the email that told me to log into Merlin, and when I got there I checked my Foster SOM interview schedule box and it had dates to select from. I'm still hoping and waiting for Lubbock too...

In-State, cGPA 3.94, sGPA 3.92, MCAT 31S

How can you check your status for Foster on Merlin? Was it not available to you until after you got an email invite?

OK, I see that most who got Foster Interview didn't get Lubbock yet, and apparently the ones who got Lubbock interview didn't get Foster.
Anyone here who landed both interviews? Are El Paso and Lubbock independent or is there some kind of relationship (aside that it is the same University)?
Anyway, good luck and enjoy the ride.

I have interviews @ both. Invites were about a week apart.

Instate; 34Q; 3.9/3.9

As for their relationship, I really don't know how that works. Obviously their affiliated, but I don't know if their medical school stuff is the same or what.

How can you check your status for Foster on Merlin? Was it not available to you until after you got an email invite?
On Texas Tech website, you have to create a first application for Lubbock and fill it as your secondary. And you have to create a second application for Foster, but this one, you don't fill. So you will End up with fewer boxes in your panel. I have created a screenshot right here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4-KYBWTWvFINzhTVTZwUzViMGc
It is a public google doc, hopefully that works.

I have interviews @ both. Invites were about a week apart.

Instate; 34Q; 3.9/3.9

As for their relationship, I really don't know how that works. Obviously their affiliated, but I don't know if their medical school stuff is the same or what.

Ah OK, well if you have them at both, then likely others might. Not one of them but hey, so is life.

Good luck to you on your interviews.

On Texas Tech website, you have to create a first application for Lubbock and fill it as your secondary. And you have to create a second application for Foster, but this one, you don't fill. So you will End up with fewer boxes in your panel. I have created a screenshot right here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4-KYBWTWvFINzhTVTZwUzViMGc
It is a public google doc, hopefully that works.

Hmm I didn't know we had to create one for Foster. Thanks!

Got my invite for Tech El Paso today, so excited! It's my first interview offer =) App was transmitted 7/3/12. Stats: 4.0 sGPA / 4.0 cGPA / 29S MCAT.

Got my invite for Tech El Paso today, so excited! It's my first interview offer =) App was transmitted 7/3/12. Stats: 4.0 sGPA / 4.0 cGPA / 29S MCAT.

One of the best ways to start the W.E. Congrats and enjoy!

as of today i have 2 interviews at el paso and utmb
3.9 gpa, 34 mcat with minimal ECs
is there any current el paso students on this board? any input regarding living and campus atmosphere would be great. thanks

Ah OK, well if you have them at both, then likely others might. Not one of them but hey, so is life.

Good luck to you on your interviews.

Thanks! Good luck to you as well

Status
Not open for further replies.