2012-2013 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OPTIONAL ESSAY (500 words maximum; typed on a separate sheet)

The learning community at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine benefits from the inclusion of students with broad life experiences, as well as students from diverse backgrounds. The Admissions Committee encourages you to share life experiences that you may have had and/or important factors in your background that illustrate your readiness for practicing medicine in a multicultural society.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine on the 19th. It has taken a long time for them to get to us...I just checked and they are currently verifying applications submitted on June 14th.

Submitted my AMCAS June 27th! Have any of you been verified yet?

I was verified yesterday and I submitted my application on June 18th. It took almost a whole month for me to get verified.

Submitted my AMCAS June 27th! Have any of you been verified yet?

I was verified yesterday and I submitted my application on June 18th. It took almost a whole month for me to get verified.

If you have not entered your application dates to the list, do so to help everyone keep track of where AMCAS is at in the processing process.

I think I also submitted on June 27. I expect sometime next week to be verified.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12810402#post12810402

dsoz

Were you guys verified before you received your secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you guys verified before you received your secondary?

yes, I was verified before I received my secondary. I received a secondary from Medical College of Georgia pre-verification but everything else was sent after.

Have any OOS people received a secondary?

Me!! Are you? And did you ever decide to do the Pharm program? I'm in ACP just down the hall from you if you are!

Yeah i did!!! And yeah I'm doing pharm! Im sure ill run into you sometime!

Last edited:
Received the secondary today, OOS, 3.72 cGPA, 32R MCAT

Took them forever to get to my application. Submitted the primary on the first day of the cycle. :/

I'm IS and I submitted my AMCAS June 20th. I received the secondary July 19th and sent it in the next day I believe.

I received my interview date today for Early Decision! Roll Tide.

Anyone not doing early decisions hear anything back after sending in the secondary?

Interview October 3 woohoo. Anyone else gonna be there??

Did y'all ever get a complete email from them? I haven't heard anything since submitting my secondary.

Did y'all ever get a complete email from them? I haven't heard anything since submitting my secondary.

I called to see if they had actually received my secondary and they told me they had. And then they emailed me requesting an interview

I just called about my application status. It was complete, so I guess I'll look forward to the interview invitation tomorrow.

30R MCAT, 3.78 undergrad GPA (USM biology), 3.98 graduate GPA (Tulane pharmacology)

30R MCAT, 3.78 undergrad GPA (USM biology), 3.98 graduate GPA (Tulane pharmacology)

Congratulations! Great stats. Were you in the wait list last year? If so what steps did you take to improve your application?

Hello all,

I hope you are all as excited as I am to finally be applying for medical school! I just sent in my secondary for USA this past monday (10/1) and I called Friday and it had been received. To those who have gotten interviews, how long did it take after submitting your secondary to hear something? also, am I behind in the game? My stats are on the lower side but only due to my freshman year, I have made all A's since then which I hope/assumes will factor in. Any info at all would be helpful!

Thanks everyone and I look forward to meeting you all next summer when we begin medical school!

I received an interview invite to USA ~2 weeks after my final LOR was submitted to AMCAS. I submitted my secondary on 8/2/12 but I believe they didn't start the review until all of my materials were in.

I don't know about USA specifically but I have heard anecdotally that if your grades show sustained improvement that is looked on favorably.

Good luck.

Anything specifically tricky questions from the interview? Healthcare, ethics, etc....?

I got drilled on demographics (of just about everything) in one of my interviews, but apparently demographics are his thing. And although I thought I bombed that interview because he asked me about the demographics of places/clinics/etc I had never heard of, South's interviews are pretty laid back.. I talked about American Horror Story & Kate Middleton in one of mine. They are there to make you comfortable to see who you really are rather than stress you out & ask you tough questions.

Congratulations! Great stats. Were you in the wait list last year? If so what steps did you take to improve your application?

Thanks! I was on the wait list at South & UAB last year. I guess the main thing was having "official" transcripts from the pharm program on my application (I sent in my transcripts from 1st semester after my interview last year and then from 2nd semester after the wait list had already been determined), along with how I did on the NBME Pharmacology Shelf Exam. And because of this, I think that my letters of recommendation weighed more because I was taking classes, etc. with the medical school.

I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to improve their credentials or just further prepare for med school. Not to mention it was definitely the most fun year ever!

Hi! Congratulations. Would you mind sharing when you sent in and they received all of your application materials? Thanks!

Sure, no problem.

Primary submitted to AMCAS - ~6/19/12
Primary verified by AMCAS - ~7/16/12
USA Secondary received - 7/19/12
USA Secondary submitted - 8/2/12
Final LOR received at AMCAS (and distributed to schools) - 9/10/12
Interview invite from USA - 9/26/12
Interview date at USA - 10/17/12

Anyone else with feedback on the interview itself?

So, I sent in my secondary to South on 9/4/12 and called shortly thereafter to verify that my file was complete. I'm getting a little worried because I haven't heard anything. A large portion of my fellow interviewees at UAB last week had already scheduled an interview at South. Is anyone else in the same predicament? I guess I shouldn't assume I'll get an interview, but I guess my hopes were up after having one at UAB.

so, i sent in my secondary to south on 9/4/12 and called shortly thereafter to verify that my file was complete. I'm getting a little worried because i haven't heard anything. A large portion of my fellow interviewees at uab last week had already scheduled an interview at south. Is anyone else in the same predicament? I guess i shouldn't assume i'll get an interview, but i guess my hopes were up after having one at uab.

+1

I guess I should complain more! II (finally) for November 7. Submitted on Sept 4. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.