Undergraduate majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macfan101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What majors did you guys chose? My school's registration really sucks so all the biological classes are filled with upper clansmen so its really messing up my schedule. Should I switch to a business or possibly a humanities major to give my application a boost. Also, does minoring in something help or a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What majors did you guys chose? My school's registration really sucks so all the biological classes are filled with upper clansmen so its really messing up my schedule. Should I switch to a business or possibly a humanities major to give my application a boost. Also, does minoring in something help or a waste of time.

I gave in....OP, here's an answer..... (but seriously, "search" is your friend)

Your major doesn't matter, but it should fulfill the following requirements:

1. Be a subject that you want to deeply pursue. While medical schools like to see that you've obtained a broad, liberal arts education, they also like to see that you've deeply studied a single subject that you're passionate about.

2. Be a non-vocational major. Business is borderline in this regard (e.g. accounting, marketing, management, etc.). Economics would be a good substitution, as it's considered a liberal-arts subject, rather than a vocational one. If you want to be a doctor, consider getting an MBA latter in your career if you still desire to study business.

3. Be one that you'll be able to earn mostly As in.

A minor isn't that big of a deal. If you have the requirements meet to obtain one, then sure, apply and get it. Otherwise, you'll be better off investing your time, effort, and money into other areas like research, traveling (e.g. study abroad), shadowing, volunteering, and the like.

Good luck!

There is no (substantial) evidence that any particular major will improve your chance for admission. Major/minor in what you can sustain interest in for four years. Also, scoring well in it is ideal.

This question gets asked so much, maybe it should be a sticky?

Last edited:
I gave in....OP, here's an answer..... (but seriously, "search" is your friend)

Your major doesn't matter, but it should fulfill the following requirements:

1. Be a subject that you want to deeply pursue. While medical schools like to see that you've obtained a broad, liberal arts education, they also like to see that you've deeply studied a single subject that you're passionate about.

2. Be a non-vocational major. Business is borderline in this regard (e.g. accounting, marketing, management, etc.). Economics would be a good substitution, as it's considered a liberal-arts subject, rather than a vocational one. If you want to be a doctor, consider getting an MBA latter in your career if you still desire to study business.

3. Be one that you'll be able to earn mostly As in.

A minor isn't that big of a deal. If you have the requirements meet to obtain one, then sure, apply and get it. Otherwise, you'll be better off investing your time, effort, and money into other areas like research, traveling (e.g. study abroad), shadowing, volunteering, and the like.

Good luck!

Are you saying stay away from majors such as accounting and finance?

I thought so too, but I'm going to give him or her the benefit of the doubt and assume he or she is just a well intentioned high school student looking for answers... it looks like that's the case.

Thank You, I assure you my intentions are clean.

The best major for medical school is obviously interpretive dance.

I know a girl who did that from NYU and now she doing a post-bac for career change because she wants to become a nurse. I mean come on, you expected to get on broadway or what???? She is the worst person to deal with, i don't know what she expected to get with that type of attitude.

Are you saying stay away from majors such as accounting and finance?

Yes, especially accounting! If you're really interested in either/or, there is nothing wrong with taking some classes, or even a minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, especially accounting! If you're really interested in either/or, there is nothing wrong with taking some classes, or even a minor.

Would it hurt if I majored in finance or business administration?

No. Major in whatever you want. Just get the prereqs done (and maybe a few upper-division science), and you are good to go.

Just prepare a good argument for the major and show through your actions that you're committed to medicine.

No. Major in whatever you want. Just get the prereqs done (and maybe a few upper-division science), and you are good to go.

Why in heaven's name would I waste time with upper level science courses if i am doing a business major. Those classes are useless, waste of time, and have no medical relevance at all. I already think the system is flawed by making us waste 4 years of our precious life, especially the time when our fluid intelligence is greatest and we are capable to better things that can improve the world, by this pre-med process. Whoever came up with this dumb idea must have been a complete idiot.

Why in heaven's name would I waste time with upper level science courses if i am doing a business major. Those classes are useless, waste of time, and have no medical relevance at all. I already think the system is flawed by making us waste 4 years of our precious life, especially the time when our fluid intelligence is greatest and we are capable to better things that can improve the world, by this pre-med process. Whoever came up with this dumb idea must have been a complete idiot.

Highest average learning ability, lowest average maturity to use it unfortunately. Fortunately intelligence is fairly constant in your life until perhaps near the very end. Programs with high school entry have lower retention rate. Doctors are costly and time consuming to train in this country.

If you think that an undergraduate business major is the opposite of "useless, waste of time, and have no medical relevance at all", then you have another thing coming. The major may be more employable than, say, biology, but that's the only big advantage I see. Secondly, and frankly, you're wrong about upper division science courses lacking relevance to medical school. Sure, courses like ecology, physical chemistry, or analytical mechanics may not be extremely relevant to MS, but you will find many counterexamples. My university, for example, offers upper level courses in physiology, immunology, cell biology, biochemistry, histology, medical genetics, and virology......not to mention courses in neuroscience, psychopharmacology, abnormal psychology, nutrition physiology, epidemiology, etc....All of which will help in medical school, and beyond.

Last edited:
Continuing my above post......

Adcoms need to be convinced that you're capable of handling rigorous science courses. Successfully completing a few upper level courses will demonstrate to both parties that you're prepared for MS1. If you have all "As" in your prereqs and a high MCAT, then this may be less of a concern. Be advised, though, that the lack thereof may cast doubts on your application, so weigh your decision carefully. Also, multiple medical schools require one or more upper level science courses for admission, so you may limit your options if you don't take the appropriate courses (Biochemistry and Genetics are the most commonly required/suggested courses).

Last edited:
Continuing my above post......

Adcoms need to be convinced that you're capable of handling rigorous science courses. Successfully completing a few upper level courses will demonstrate to both parties that you're prepared for MS1. If you have all "As" in your prereqs and a high MCAT, then this may be less of a concern. Be advised, though, that the lack thereof may cast doubts on your application, so weigh your decision carefully. Also, multiple medical schools require one or more upper level science courses for admission, so you may limit your options if you don't take the appropriate courses (Biochemistry and Genetics are the most commonly required/suggested courses).

Where can i get a list of schools requiring biochemistry and genetics as required/suggested courses?

I don't really understand why people who don't want to take upper level science courses want to go to medical school. :eyebrow:

I also think that if we admitted kids out of high school into medical training, it would be a disaster. Going through four years of higher education and becoming an adult just seems necessary.

Where can i get a list of schools requiring biochemistry and genetics as required/suggested courses?

If there is a "list" I don't know of it. Check different schools websites. The majority of the ones I've checked require:

One year of biology
One year of physics
One year of calculus (or maybe 1/2 year calculus, 1/2 year statistics)
Two-three years of social sciences (philosophy, psychology, etc)
One year of writing intensive courses
One year of chemistry
1/2 year biochemistry
1/2 year organic chemistry

:rolleyes: I think you just gave us a perfect example of why medical schools require you to obtain an undergraduate degree...

No, just take them.

They're good for you.

You'll thank me when you're older.

Because I said so.

Bring honor to your family!!!

I used the most common parent reasons for doing so. But really, if you're backing out of upper division sciences now, I can assure you that you won't survive medical school. It is upper division sciences^9001.