Would reapplying lower my chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of applying for 2013 cycle, but I don't think its realistic. I can apply to 3 schools for free. I am pretty sure I might have to reapply next cycle too, do you think that would lower my chance for admission?

Undergrad:
GPA- 2.45 (cumulative GPA)
Major- Political Science
F in Organic 1 and Calculus. C in Chem 1, Chem2. D in Physical Chem, Physcs1.

Postbac:
Physics1 and Organic 1 & 2- B
Physics2- C
Cell Bio-A
Evolution Bio- B
Posbac GPA- 3.0

MCAT- in July

Planning to apply for the 2013 application cycle.
Applying to D.O schools and Carribean as well.

Extracurriculars- Studied abroad/Volunteered to several different countries, 300 hours of clinical experience, 50 hours DO shadowing experience.

Really want to apply this cycle. But strongly think I might have to reapply next year too. Starting a one year masters in Biomedical Sciences in August 2013.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously?

You're going to need to dedicate at least a couple years taking post-bac classes to improve your GPA. Otherwise your chances are slim to none, no matter where you apply.

But you knew your GPA was the problem, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most, if not all, MD schools auto-screen applicants at 2.7-3.0 depending on the school. Even if you make it past the screen, you are driving with three wheels at best.

I haven't heard about DO schools that screen, but the average GPA at DO schools is somewhere between 3.4 and 3.6.

How badly does being a reapplicant lower the chance of admission? Since most DO schools are rolling admission, if I apply this cycle and then send them my fall 2012 grades in, would that help my app? I am taking a few more postbac courses this fall. So hoping those would boost my gpa

dude your GPA is horrible and your postbacc is horrible. Applying this cycle will only make adcoms laugh. don't apply this cycle. spend an entire year retaking classes before you submit anything. IF you can get a 4.0 over the next year, then reconsider reapplying. Until you actually turn your grades around, any application will be worthless.

Yep, your stats aren't there yet... take some more classes, and get ALL As!!!

I have fee waiver and can apply to 3 DO schools for free. My question is, even if I have a 0% chance of acceptance, and I apply this year and don't get in anywhere, and then reapply again next year, would reapplying with better stats lower my chance of acceptance? Or does it look bad if I apply to the same school twice? My ECs are pretty good (self founded ngos, lots of abroad research,several hours of clinical volunteering, etc), I will take my MCAT in July and have been making above 30 in the practice exams so far...

My question is, even if I have a 0% chance of acceptance, and I apply this year and don't get in anywhere, and then reapply again next year, would reapplying with better stats lower my chance of acceptance? Or does it look bad if I apply to the same school twice?

Benice, there is no advantage to being a reapplicant, in fact, it's a disadvantage. Wait until you have everything in order.

Truly appreciate everyone's advices! Not applying this year, will apply next year!

So I've decided to take more postbac/undergrad level classes. I can either take classes at a community college or 4 year university. Does it matter where I take the courses?

So I've decided to take more postbac/undergrad level classes. I can either take classes at a community college or 4 year university. Does it matter where I take the courses?

Yes. If you are not financially strained. Always take at a 4 year university. Where you take courses matter GREATLY.

4 year if you can afford it.

Yes. If you are not financially strained. Always take at a 4 year university. Where you take courses matter GREATLY.

Bit of an over-exaggeration, but yes a 4 year does look better than a CC.

Last edited:
Most medical schools like people who have persistence and want to improve. They will like reapplicants if said reapplicant has improved his/her application and resume SIGNIFICANTLY! Grades, mcat, volunteer, etc... The only timeit really hurts is if you fart around and don't improve. This is my first post on SDN. Haha. Hello everyone!

honestly, take it where you can get A's