Pre Dental Majors and DS Admission-Trend 05-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From a previous post:

"Every year there are several posts claiming biology as the best major for ds admission. The statistical information available from the 2006 to 2011 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools does not support the bio notion. The misconception may due to the fact ~50% of the applicants are bio majors. This belief may be compounded by encouragement from admission deans for upper division bio courses. The advice may be misinterpreted. How adcoms make decisions is anyone's guess. However, the closeness of the percentages of the applicants and enrollees pools represented by a particular major appears to suggest that a particular applicant pool of majors is being compared only to that subgroup rather than across the entire spectrum of applicants. Thus, a business major with upper division bio may be a more competitive candidate than a business major without those courses. While engineering majors represent a small portion of both the applicant and enrollment pools, they appear to have a slight edge. "Pre-dent" and "no major" appear to be at a more significant disadvantage than any other group. Notwithstanding this information, it is risky to choose a major only as a means to improve one's chance of acceptance since the choice may end up being the terminal degree."

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Majors and DS Trend 05-11 mod 7-30-12.xls
    23 KB · Views: 359
Very interesting data. Thank you.

I wonder what % of applicants are from other dental professions e.g. dental assistant, RDH, dental lab technician and such.

Very interesting data. Thank you.
I wonder what % of applicants are from other dental professions e.g. dental assistant, RDH, dental lab technician and such.

Even under some serious magnification, it is unlikely that it will appear on any radar screen as a blip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information! Were Biochemistry majors grouped under Chemistry in this spreadsheet?

Well this is good news as far as I'm concerned. Having a class that isn't all bio should make Dental school that much more interesting. Everyone literally brings something new to the table...or, dare I say it, the chair!

Thanks for the information! Were Biochemistry majors grouped under Chemistry in this spreadsheet?

The groupings are done by ADEA; it is listed as chemistry/physical science.