The Oldest Thread on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

911 Turbo

middle schooler aspiring doctor
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is the oldest thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=22697

I've posted this in pre allo because

1) Pre allo gets the most traffic
2) People can see this and might know of an older thread
3) People should see this thread
4) I didn't feel like necro bumping a 14 year old thread

Also... I thought Lee founded SDN, yet he joined in 1999?

Mods, feel free to move this if you want..

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, there was internet in 1998?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there was only a little bit of Internet out west at the
time.

Towards the end of the 90s, there was an explosion in growth of internet websites. I'm guessing SDN was one of them..

And it appears that the pre D.O. section was one of the first on SDN

Hah, it's kind of interesting to see the difference in how people address each other then compared to now - freely using names and writing like an e-mail or letter.

Also - that was 14 years ago! Feels like a long time ago to me (maybe not for some others :p )

You must be quite young. Google has been around since 1998. The dot com bust was a couple years later. The Internet has existed since the '60s and became popular in the early '90s. I mean I was using the Internet in elementary school in like 1996.

Am I the only one who wants to bump that thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
All the cool kids were calling their local BBS in the 90s

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Ha Ha. I may be dating myself (yes, I am old), but when I was an undergrad in 1992 there were chat rooms and bulletin board services. The internet was not a GUI, it was all text based.

We didn't use smiles back then, it is more of a "modern" invention. :)

dsoz

Are you kidding? I was on AOL by 1996, browsing message boards and sending IMs. You've probably never even heard dial up. I had broadband by 2000.

You guys took me waaaaay too seriously. Yes I grew up in the dial-up stone age, learning US history from the Oregon Trail video game, and when Apple actually had it's own office software.

I'm pretty sure this is the oldest thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=22697

I've posted this in pre allo because

1) Pre allo gets the most traffic
2) People can see this and might know of an older thread
3) People should see this thread
4) I didn't feel like necro bumping a 14 year old thread

Also... I thought Lee founded SDN, yet he joined in 1999?

Mods, feel free to move this if you want..

Lee did found SDN, but he had a different user name back then, I cant remember what it was. That is most likely why his origin date is later than you would think.

I was around in 98-99 but lost my user name/password and had to register a new one years later. It was definitely a different environment back then.

You newbies tend to take this place for granted, but back in 98 without SDN you didnt really have any good options for feeling out the premed landscape other than talking to your university's premed committee (which we all know tend to be comprised of idiots who dont know what they are talking about).

SDN was one of the first places where premeds could interact with medical students all over the country and find out if their stuff passed muster on the "what are my chances" threads. Back then, it was more difficult to get accepted.

Lee did found SDN, but he had a different user name back then, I cant remember what it was. That is most likely why his origin date is later than you would think.

I was around in 98-99 but lost my user name/password and had to register a new one years later. It was definitely a different environment back then.

You newbies tend to take this place for granted, but back in 98 without SDN you didnt really have any good options for feeling out the premed landscape other than talking to your university's premed committee (which we all know tend to be comprised of idiots who dont know what they are talking about).

SDN was one of the first places where premeds could interact with medical students all over the country and find out if their stuff passed muster on the "what are my chances" threads. Back then, it was more difficult to get accepted.

Ahh I see. About how many members total did sdn have in 1998 (or how many people posted)?

I think the coolest part about SDN is how you can see the background of members. For instance when you see someone with a join date of 2004 and next to their name it will say "fellow" or "resident." I hope that I'll be posting one day with that next to my name :)

Are you kidding? I was on AOL by 1996, browsing message boards and sending IMs. You've probably never even heard dial up. I had broadband by 2000.

I remember when I first switched to broadband in the early 2000's I wanted to get a service that also allowed me to sign on to a dial-up connection because I guess getting on the internet somewhere other than my house was a big issue. Looking back, that concern seems weird to me now.

Ahh I see. About how many members total did sdn have in 1998 (or how many people posted)?

I dont know about total members...my recollection is fussy but I'd say there were probably 10-15 or so regular posters on the preallo forum.

Man, it's crazy to think that I wasn't even out of elementary school yet when that thread was posted.

Also, I love how we have kids in this thread who think it's surprising the internet was around in the late 90s. It had already been around for awhile before that. Usenet newsgroups had been around since the 80s and the WWW protocol was born in 1991. Even internet gaming was around by 1994. By the late 90s the internet was pretty widespread (back in the days when AOL wasn't a joke), although it wasn't until the early 00s that everyone and their dog had a broadband connection.

Man, I bet you kids don't even remember browsing with Netscape, listening to a dial-up modem start-up, suffering through 28K download speeds, and having your parents yell at you to get off the internet so they could make a phone call (or alternatively not being allowed on the computer until they got a phone call they were expecting).

Am I the only one who wants to bump that thread?

Someone already beat you to it back in 2003.

Man, it's crazy to think that I wasn't even out of elementary school yet when that thread was posted.

Also, I love how we have kids in this thread who think it's surprising the internet was around in the late 90s. It had already been around for awhile before that. Usenet newsgroups had been around since the 80s and the WWW protocol was born in 1991. Even internet gaming was around by 1994. By the late 90s the internet was pretty widespread (back in the days when AOL wasn't a joke), although it wasn't until the early 00s that everyone and their dog had a broadband connection.

Man, I bet you kids don't even remember browsing with Netscape, listening to a dial-up modem start-up, suffering through 28K download speeds, and having your parents yell at you to get off the internet so they could make a phone call (or alternatively not being allowed on the computer until they got a phone call they were expecting).

Someone already beat you to it back in 2003.

I remember having to wait overnight to download a patch for a game (I think it was Nox) - it was a 28.5MB file. I also remember the first time I picked up the phone while my parents were on the computer and being unexpectedly assaulted by a wall of crackling static :laugh:

Oh, and who can forget the endless new versions of AOL CDs you would receive in the mail?

I remember having to wait overnight to download a patch for a game (I think it was Nox) - it was a 28.5MB file. I also remember the first time I picked up the phone while my parents were on the computer and being unexpectedly assaulted by a wall of crackling static :laugh:

Oh, and who can forget the endless new versions of AOL CDs you would receive in the mail?

Some of the cases were pretty legit... I remember some metal tins and a wooden case, too!

Welcome. You. Got. Mail.

that noise is still not as bad as the noise a fax machine makes :scared: