** The Official Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Class of 2017**

pickmedentalsch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i don't know why stony brook didn't have one of these yet! here it is. how is the interview? who is still waiting?

goodluck everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Interview was three one-on-one 20 minute interviews. Two were with faculty, one was with a student. The student one was closed file - they don't know anything about you. The faculty interviews were open file and the tone (laid back vs high stress) depends on the faculty member. My first one was very outgoing and friendly and complimented my credentials a lot, while the second one had VERY negative body language from the start (slouched over with his head resting on his hand in a desk-sleeping position, played with his laptop while you spoke, seemed very distracted and like he didn't want to interview anyone). Not sure if that was the classic "good-cop/bad-cop" or if that was just his personality. Other than his body language it went well (fingers crossed!)

You also get to shadow the D3s and D4s in the clinic for an hour, which was really neat. Overall they seemed to be both clinically strong (the place was hectic) while also geared towards the specialties (about 40% specialize).

I didn't really like how their students interacted with each other though. They were a little aloof and they seemed like they were all closet gunners. Maybe that depends on the class though. The second years were really chill compared to the third & fourth years.

mine is so soon! i wish it had been sooner its one of my top choices (im in state obviously) are you from in state also? A lot of people I am friends with didn't get this invite (I guess because they interview a lot less than the bigger schools) so I was very happy I finally got it! Is there a supplemental?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I'm also in-state. They said that they interview far fewer people than most schools since there's only 40 spots so it's an honor to get Patricia Berry's phone call! It's competitive - they only extend 42 acceptances on Dec 3rd with the expectation that very few will decline.

No supplemental besides some paperwork regarding in-state/OOS status and a survey. Good luck!

Toasty bread, how were the wraps? I was just curious because I am a vegetarian. Do they have anything like fruit I can eat just in case? You see where my priorities lie :laugh:

I think they had a vegetarian option (tuna fish wrap I believe) but let them know just in case. There wasn't fruit or anything extra, just the wraps (which were really good in my opinion). There's also a small cafe inside the building that has vegetarian options.

I think they had a vegetarian option (tuna fish wrap I believe) but let them know just in case. There wasn't fruit or anything extra, just the wraps (which were really good in my opinion). There's also a small cafe inside the building that has vegetarian options.

Thanks for letting me know! :)

Does anyone want to talk more about the interviewing process? Mine is moving up soon .

Is there any number I can contact to check status of my application? I looked it up online and there wasn't a general phone number rather than the ones that goes to the specific person such as Dr. Hugh Finch or Patricia Berry

Does anyone want to talk more about the interviewing process? Mine is moving up soon .
the interview process was really nice actually! besides the fact that the three interviews (two with profs and one with 4th year student) were at the end of the day. My interviewers were all really nice and no one asked any questions out of the blue. is your interview this week?

the interview process was really nice actually! besides the fact that the three interviews (two with profs and one with 4th year student) were at the end of the day. My interviewers were all really nice and no one asked any questions out of the blue. is your interview this week?
It was yesterday actually . It went well :)

does anyone know how stonybrook updates? a phone call? but will they change it on aadsas?

goodluck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how stonybrook updates? a phone call? but will they change it on aadsas?

goodluck everyone!

I know for sure the dean that welcomed us calls from 9 until 12 he said (on your cell phone). I asked specifically. I don't know about anything else. Good luck to you too! Stony Brook is an awesome school for a great price :D

Stony Brook just extended acceptance to me. Dr. Finch called at around 10:30am ET. Loved this school when I visited, and it's my number one choice! Good luck to everyone and be patient :D

Just got a call from Stony Brook, Accepted!!!!!!

Hey future classmates,

Congrats on getting accepted to Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine. I have created a group on Facebook for the class of 2017!!! :)

I got the phone call too! Best call ever! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats everyone!! I am kind of jealous- I would love to receive an acceptance here. I am interviewing this week at SB, do any of you accepted applicants have advice for me?

Also, I got the phone call for an interview last Thursday but have still not received a confirmation email. Is this normal? How long did it take between getting the call and receiving the email?

Thanks so much!

Got the acceptance earlier today! So excited!

You should have gotten an email with the information as soon as you received the phone call. They don't send another confirmation email because it is so soon before your interview. Best of luck!

Hey Gentledentle! Congrats on the acceptance :D For some reason the group is not searchable on facebook, so people looking for the group that aren't on SDN may not be able to find it.. is there any way you can change the privacy settings or something?

Anyone have any advice for someone who had an interview but hasn't heard yet?

I don't know how they pick the order to call, but my last name is at the beginning of the alphabet and after reading that others got their calls I'm really nervous I didn't get in...

Anyone have any advice for someone who had an interview but hasn't heard yet?

I don't know how they pick the order to call, but my last name is at the beginning of the alphabet and after reading that others got their calls I'm really nervous I didn't get in...

Ya, basically if you don't get a call today then they leave you hanging until either they call you in the next few months or you get a waitlist email at the end of january... this is based on my interview with them last year and looking at SDN threads, interviewed this year too..no call. Oh well.

accepted today as well, great feeling. i honestly feel the interview played a large factor because my grades were nothing special (relative to most people on this site). i received a very positive reaction from both interviews and got the impression that they want people who will make a good dentist, not a good student

Hey Gentledentle! Congrats on the acceptance :D For some reason the group is not searchable on facebook, so people looking for the group that aren't on SDN may not be able to find it.. is there any way you can change the privacy settings or something?

I just changed the privacy settings...sorry about the inconvenience!!

I know I keep PMing everyone lol, but did anyone get the offical acceptance email yet?

I received the email earlier today with the Acceptance Statement and Enrollment Procedures

does anyone know if stony brook usually fills their class with the first batch of acceptances?? i had a great interview, however I haven't heard back from them. still hoping:xf:

Just interviewed there. They told us that they gave out 42 acceptances, enough to fill whole class. According to statistics he said, approx 50% withdraw acceptances. Therefore, in 30 days from dec 3 they give out 20 more acceptances. This keeps happening until the class is full. They won't give anything out until middle of jan, when they know how many people have withdrawn

Just interviewed there. They told us that they gave out 42 acceptances, enough to fill whole class. According to statistics he said, approx 50% withdraw acceptances. Therefore, in 30 days from dec 3 they give out 20 more acceptances.

I believe it. Both students who brought us on tour were initally wait listed. One lost the 2K fee on his deposit from Columbia and the other girl found out after Chirstmas. She interviewed before Dec 1st. Good luck!

Hey guys... so I Interviewed there pre-December 1st... but literally the Friday right before December (Nov 30th was my interview day I believe)... have any one of y'all interviewed late Nov and have been accepted? I haven't heard back from them yet so I'm very curious

yay got accepted yesterday interviewed early nov

Interesting that you got it that much later, is it that they're calling to accept more people as other people deny or something?

Just interviewed there. They told us that they gave out 42 acceptances, enough to fill whole class. According to statistics he said, approx 50% withdraw acceptances. Therefore, in 30 days from dec 3 they give out 20 more acceptances. This keeps happening until the class is full. They won't give anything out until middle of jan, when they know how many people have withdrawn

I just got a call today inviting me for an interview (I didn't apply until October)...so you're saying by then they'll probably have filled ~75% of their class?

Wow I just got the call for an interview! Aren't the odds of acceptance pretty low now?

Wasn't expecting this at all!

I was talking to my friend that goes to stony and she said that stony brook has been crazy since they shut down for a week because of hurricane sandy so they probably didn't call the full list dec 3rd. Usually I think they give acceptance calls in batches that would fill the class but this info didn't come from stony admissions so maybe there's a different reason I was so happy to get the call I didn't even bother to ask good luck with your interviews guys

Can someone tell me how the dental school grades? I recently heard that you need a 50 to pass...but I was under the impression that Stony dental does not use a P/F system...

Can someone tell me how the dental school grades? I recently heard that you need a 50 to pass...but I was under the impression that Stony dental does not use a P/F system...

Some classes are P/F, the student tour guide said the easy classes are P/F. Most classes, however, have letter grades.