DAT Breakdown 1/10/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stebe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been a lurker here for a while but since I got a lot of help reading these threads it's time to give back.

My scores
photolqo.jpg

PA 22
QR 23
RC 25
Bio 22
GC 28
OC 24
TS 24
AA 24

Who am I: I'm a 4th year bio major at a well-known public college. My gpa is the definition of mediocrity at a 3.5 for both overall and sciences. first year was not kind to me (academically)

I only had winter break to study for this test, right after my finals, so you can imagine how I felt while my friends were having a merry ol' time going snowboarding or traveling while I was cooped up in my room for 3 weeks.

Perceptual Ability (22): Crack Dat Pat, Kaplan
Kaplan was pretty much worthless for this section since it was way too easy but it's a good intro to how to approach the different kinds of problems. I only got through about 6 Crack Dat tests but it was instrumental in developing speed and I attribute my score to it.
-How CDP compares to the Actual DAT. Keyholes: much easier than actual, TFE: easier, Angles: harder, Pattern Folding: similar, a smidgen harder, Cube counting: harder, Patterns: spot on
How to Prepare: Get Crack Dat Pat. Do ALL the tests. I heard Achiever has good PAT tests as well.
During the Test: Have your eye on the clock and don't freak out if you're stuck on one problem. Mark it and move on. It's a race against the clock here.

Quantitative Reasoning (23): Math Destroyer, Internet
I was disappointed with my score here because I was banking on this to bring my AA up but whatever. I'm good at math but I definitely didn't practice enough since I ran out of time. Math Destroyer's problems are representative of all the hard problems that could potentially crop up on the real thing.
How to Prepare Get Math Destroyer. Just practice a LOT; again, speed is the name of the game here. If you encounter a rate problem you have no time to think about how to set up the equations...it should be muscle memory. Know your trig identities, area/volume formulas, and conversions. Google probability stuff for more explanations. PRACTICE.

Reading Comprehension (25): nothing
I didn't really prepare for this.
How to Prepare uhhh. haha
During the Test Don't use search and destroy. I know that for me at least, using that method would have resulted in a lower score. Read the whole passage over first then attack the first question. You end up with a better overall knowledge of the passage for tone-inference questions and know where in the passage the question is referring to right away.

Biology (22) Cliffs AP Bio, DAT Destroyer, DATQvault
My lowest science score would be in the subject I'm majoring in... I had a lot of taxonomy/cladistics questions on here which did not play to my forte (anatomy, cell metabolism). But I guess this means you have to be prepared for everything to appear on the test. I went through Cliffs and wikipediaed stuff I wanted more detail on. Destroyer is good for getting more random facts in there. DATQvault is nice because it mirrors the test format and gives you a score report at the end.

General Chemistry (28) Chad's, DATQvault, Destroyer
Chad is the man. My last chem class was AP Chem in junior year but this guy breaks it down and tells you the salient stuff. I made an outline based on his lectures and it served me very well. DATQvault was also a very good representation of what cropped up on the real DAT.

Organic Chemistry (24) Chad's, DATQvault, Destroyer
Chad is on point here as well. So is DATQVault. Destroyer really makes you comfortable with all the reactions. The roadmaps are useful as well. I had a few random reactions crop up from the roadmaps that weren't covered anywhere else. Don't just memorize, try to understand why things happen and this will simplify your studying process.

Random tips
-Do not test caffeine's diuretic properties. Yes. You will have to go pee and it sucks. You will have enough adrenaline pumping through your veins to keep you alert anyway.

-Be confident. If you plop down in your Prometric chair dreading the next 5 hours, on the verge of tearing your hair out in anxiety, you have already been defeated. Go in there and pretend everyone else is taking the DAT and that you are competing with them, and that you will come out on top. It's all about that positive mentality. Stay focused, but calm. Relish the chance to finally show them what you've got and what you're capable of. Veni Vidi Vici.

-Don't neglect your body during the weeks you're studying. I went to the gym at least five times a week and slept early every day. You can neglect your friends instead.

-On the way to prometric, play some pumpup jams and get in the freakin mood because YOU'RE GOING TO BATTLE. Some of my sample tracks included:

We Takin' Over - DJ Khaled
'Till I Collapse - Eminem
Stronger - Kanye
Rocky Theme Music
I Made It - Kevin Rudolf
Sky's the Limit - Notorious BIG
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

...you get the point.

Thanks to everyone's breakdowns who I creeped on and best of luck to everyone taking the DAT in the future. If you have any questions feel free to ask me

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Realllly nice job! Congrats on being done! And really nice and concise breakdown. Totally agree with everything you said. Congrats again!

Members don't see this ad :)
"I did okay" ... "I'm not competition"

Hahaha yeah right! :laugh: Awesome scores and great job =D See you clinic, competition =P

Awesome scores! Congratulations, you rocked it. Enjoy some time to bask in the afterglow.

Couple quick questions. I take it you didn't use Destroyer? And how did you tackle utilizing CDP to get an awesome score?

I actually did use Destroyer. I was pressed for time so I went through the whole thing in two days like a madman. Use it after you're done reviewing all the sciences because it's just a huge books of problems that represent the most complex problems that you might see on your DAT. It's probably the easiest way to raise your TS by a few points.

CDP...is just 10 practice PAT tests so just go through them? You can't just approach it casually though; you have to imagine it's the real deal and do it accordingly.
And try not to look at the answer choices for angles or pattern folding beforehand. Using process of elimination is good and all on the real DAT but the answer choices aren't set up the same way as in CDP so it's better to have a mental picture in your head and then match it to the right answer.

Thanks for the quick-reply.

With CDP I'm getting killed on timing. Did you do all 6 timed? Some people have suggested to do 2-3 untimed, and then timed from there.

I timed all mine for an hour. I think you can modify it so it counts down from 70 minutes or something. You want to mirror the actual test conditions as closely as possible. If one section in particular is giving you a lot of trouble just do an untimed test for that section. Do what works for you, and good luck!

^ I did like three untimed until I could figure out good strategies for how to tackle the problems, then I started taking them timed. Trust me by the end time will be the last thing on your mind, you will usually end up with 10 mins or so to spare (unless you are doing an achiever PAT, then you may end up with 2 mins to spare)

Anyway congrats on the scores man! Mind if I ask you how many classification questions you think you got? I have my exam on Saturday and I am really worried about that section since I have neglected it and am trying to cram it in now but it is soooooo boring :(

haha I got 3 I believe. Know the orders of when certain major clades branched off from each other, and important ballpark estimates for dates in the history of Earth. And distinguishing features of certain phylums. I know exactly how you feel because I just skimmed over taxonomy, but that was my "downfall" for bio. If your test is on Saturday that gives you plenty of time. Honestly you just need to invest a good few hours of focused studying and you're set.

Members don't see this ad :)
AWESOME scores! And a great breakdown, too. I love the playlist. You and may be the only rap-listeners on this site. :p

Awesome scores. Congratulations. Well done.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I did the first half of datqvault after going through the material once, and the second half after a more thorough review and finishing destroyer.

Bio, 19-21 on first half. 22-24 second
Chem, 21-24 on first half, 23-28 second
OC, 20-22 on first half, 22-26 on second

Destroyer definitely helped.

Hey Stebe,

On your reading section, did you take notes on each paragraph and then you looked back at your notes when you were answering each question?

Farboodi - I did for one section but it didn't help me much. If you do take notes make them really succinct.
The passages are not difficult at all to understand. Answer the questions as if you didn't know anything about the subject beforehand though; make sure the information is in the passage or can be directly inferred from the passage.

A lot of the tricky questions were like
Given "...x is y...because blablabla", is the statement true or false? and is the reasoning true or false? That's why I said search and destroy might not be the best method, since the reasoning might be drawn from somewhere else in the passage.

My best advice is just to read the whole passage through once really fast and get the gist of it then tackle the first problem. It'll save you time in the long run.

Last edited:
When did you start timing yourself with answers? How did you make sure that you do questions fast and correct at the same time?

Timing shouldn't really be an issue for TS. All the questions are pretty much "you know it or you don't". There are very few critical thinking problems that require time to integrate what you studied. If you're taking too long with calculations on chemistry that indicates a lack of practice. The bio questions especially are fairly straightforward and you can blaze through those.

The PAT and QR are a different story, however, and managing time your time wisely can make or break you. Just practice the crap out of these until you know how to set up every kind of problem instantaneously without second-guessing yourself and deriving stuff during the test.

Were there any lab questions for chemistry and bio?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

None for bio, and there was one for chem with titrations but it was really easy. Be prepared for them though

How did you break down your time studying? I realize that your time was limited. Did you do one subject a day, or few subjects a day, several hours each? What would you think is better?

The review books have enough to cover the lab stuff. You should probably brush up on NMR and MS by researching more online or getting a legit textbook though. It might be overkill but there's no such thing as overpreparation for the DAT is there?

When I first started reviewing I exclusively studied one subject a day until I had reviewed that entire subject (took me 3-4 days for each of the sciences). After I had reviewed everything I took a diagnostic test and recognized my weak spots and tackled them with a second round of review supplemented with online research.

Then I started doing problems, and this time did every subject every day. Sample day would look like
wake up at 8, Breakfast, PAT, Bio, lunch, chem, orgo, exercise, dinner, QR, chilltime, sleep at midnight.

Everyone has their own strategy that suits them, haha. But I definitely recommend doing every subject each day toward the home stretch to your actual DAT. Your brain is using different modes of thinking for each section and it's good to practice switching between them like on the actual DAT