Personal Statement Readers 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcatj

Mizzou c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same as last year. Add your name to the list, what sorts of things you'll look at and when you're available.
For anyone who wants your PS read:
Send a PM to one (or a few) people on the list to ask if they'd be willing to read. Sometimes we have a lot going on, or too many to get through.
Even if you don't like their advice, still thank them for their time!
Most of us are happy to give further feedback, read later drafts, whatever.
Remember that not everyone is going to love your PS and that's ok. Seriously think about someone's comments before you dismiss them, but there are many different opinions about what makes a good PS.
Make sure in the end it is still YOU. Don't take so much advice from everyone that suddenly your PS isn't in your voice or doesn't say any of the things you want it to say. More than anyone else you need to be happy with it.

So to get on with it...
wildcatj - I mostly look at content and flow, though I will point out any major grammar stuff, etc. (I think) I have a tendency to rip things apart to start which can be a little rough if you're sensitive about your writing. But, I've had a few people come back to me with future edits and then ended up with really awesome PS's in the end so I can't be too mean. I'm available whenever, I'll let you know if I can get to it right away or if it'll be a while.

Members don't see this ad.

Leaving wildcat's notes on here because they're good and important!

Same as last year. Add your name to the list, what sorts of things you'll look at and when you're available.
Send a PM to one (or a few) people on the list to ask if they'd be willing to read. Sometimes we have a lot going on, or too many to get through.
Remember that not everyone is going to love your PS and that's ok. Seriously think about someone's comments before you dismiss them, but there are many different opinions about what makes a good PS.
Make sure in the end it is still YOU. Don't take so much advice from everyone that suddenly your PS isn't in your voice or doesn't say any of the things you want it to say. More than anyone else you need to be happy with it.

wildcatj - I mostly look at content and flow, though I will point out any major grammar stuff, etc. (I think) I have a tendency to rip things apart to start which can be a little rough if you're sensitive about your writing. But, I've had a few people come back to me with future edits and then ended up with really awesome PS's in the end so I can't be too mean. I'm available whenever, I'll let you know if I can get to it right away or if it'll be a while.

kakurubird - Will look at grammar, content, flow, whatever you'd prefer I focus on. I tend to write leading comments and suggestions more than make changes, but I try not to be too mean. Willing to read things between now and end of July, but June/July will be quickest responses. Until June, it may be a while, but I'll try to let you know.

kakurubird - Will look at grammar, content, flow, whatever you'd prefer I focus on. I tend to write leading comments and suggestions more than make changes, but I try not to be too mean. Willing to read things between now and end of July, but June/July will be quickest responses. Until June, it may be a while, but I'll try to let you know.[/QUOTE]

dovelover - I'm good with content/flow. If you need advice on content/ideas even before writing your PS, with a very rough draft, or just need help getting started, definitely hit me up. If looking for content advice, it's helpful if you can provide additional information about your experiences/life beyond what's in your PS so I have a frame of reference for it. Will look at grammar too, but there are probably others who are more qualified for that than I. I definitely am not the one to help with length issues. I'm available whenever right now, I'll update if that changes.

Members don't see this ad :)

kakurubird - Will look at grammar, content, flow, whatever you'd prefer I focus on. I tend to write leading comments and suggestions more than make changes, but I try not to be too mean. Willing to read things between now and end of July, but June/July will be quickest responses. Until June, it may be a while, but I'll try to let you know.

dovelover - I'm good with content/flow. If you need advice on content/ideas even before writing your PS, with a very rough draft, or just need help getting started, definitely hit me up. If looking for content advice, it's helpful if you can provide additional information about your experiences/life beyond what's in your PS so I have a frame of reference for it. Will look at grammar too, but there are probably others who are more qualified for that than I. I definitely am not the one to help with length issues. I'm available whenever right now, I'll update if that changes.

kaydubs - I'm good with content, grammar/spelling, flow. Just let me know where you'd want me to focus. I prefer word docs so I can edit things. Feel free to PM me so I can send you my email! I'm pretty comfortable doing it whenever. I'll be pretty free this summer minus AQUAVET and I'm fine editing through to app cycle in October :D

kaydubs - I'm good with content, grammar/spelling, flow. Just let me know where you'd want me to focus. I prefer word docs so I can edit things. Feel free to PM me so I can send you my email! I'm pretty comfortable doing it whenever. I'll be pretty free this summer minus AQUAVET and I'm fine editing through to app cycle in October :D

macita183 - I'd be happy to take a look. I'm good with grammar, spelling, word choice, and over all flow. I'm available whenever. You can PM if you would like me to take a look

kaydubs - I'm good with content, grammar/spelling, flow. Just let me know where you'd want me to focus. I prefer word docs so I can edit things. Feel free to PM me so I can send you my email! I'm pretty comfortable doing it whenever. I'll be pretty free this summer minus AQUAVET and I'm fine editing through to app cycle in October

macita183 - I'd be happy to take a look. I'm good with grammar, spelling, word choice, and over all flow. I'm available whenever. You can PM if you would like me to take a look

WolvesDragon55- Very happy to read over things. While this is my first year writing one (so I will probably be asking some of ^these people to help me), I am more than willing to give my opinion. I am an English minor so I like to think I'm fairly decent with grammar, word choice, flow, and persuasion. PM me, and I'll shoot you my email. I'm always around.

kaydubs - I'm good with content, grammar/spelling, flow. Just let me know where you'd want me to focus. I prefer word docs so I can edit things. Feel free to PM me so I can send you my email! I'm pretty comfortable doing it whenever. I'll be pretty free this summer minus AQUAVET and I'm fine editing through to app cycle in October

WolvesDragon55- Very happy to read over things. While this is my first year writing one (so I will probably be asking some of ^these people to help me), I am more than willing to give my opinion. I am an English minor so I like to think I'm fairly decent with grammar, word choice, flow, and persuasion. PM me, and I'll shoot you my email. I'm always around.

Frozenshades - I can get particular over spelling and grammar, and I can offer opinion on syntax and overall quality of the writing. General suggestions about the content can be made, or specifics if you ask. Available anytime, but definitely expect slower results while class is still in session; I'm pretty busy. Faster replies over summer. PM me anytime.

Frozenshades - I can get particular over spelling and grammar, and I can offer opinion on syntax and overall quality of the writing. General suggestions about the content can be made, or specifics if you ask. Available anytime, but definitely expect slower results while class is still in session; I'm pretty busy. Faster replies over summer. PM me anytime.

Tropictuco - I'm good at overall ideas and themes and can help with the development of an essay. My best work is probably with paragraph and sentence structure. I have quite a lot of time until August (hopefully!!!) and can probably get your essay back in a few days.

Tropictuco - I'm good at overall ideas and themes and can help with the development of an essay. My best work is probably with paragraph and sentence structure. I have quite a lot of time until August (hopefully!!!) and can probably get your essay back in a few days.

BlackDog17 - I can help with grammar, spelling, flow, and the general "feel" of your PS. And I can help you mercilessly cut out words if it's too long. I should be able to read anytime during the application cycle, you'll just have to give me a little extra time in August-October once I've started classes!

BlackDog17 - I can help with grammar, spelling, flow, and the general "feel" of your PS. And I can help you mercilessly cut out words if it's too long. I should be able to read anytime during the application cycle, you'll just have to give me a little extra time in August-October once I've started classes

ThePiedPiper - I can help with the basic mechanics (grammar, structure, spelling, flow) but I can also help by giving you my impression. If something sounds too cliche or if something stands out in any awkward fashion, I will be more than likely to point it out. I'm not too mean and tend to point out the strong points in addition to where something could use a little work, but I don't tend to be much of an ideas person. I'll ask any questions that occur to me, provide guidance if I see a direction you could go in, point out where something might be better off expanded, etc. but I won't write your PS for you or brainstorm what your PS should be about. I can also help if you have anything specific in mind, to the best of my ability, and I'm available pretty much whenever. Shoot me a PM on here and we'll work something out. :)

BlackDog17 - I can help with grammar, spelling, flow, and the general "feel" of your PS. And I can help you mercilessly cut out words if it's too long. I should be able to read anytime during the application cycle, you'll just have to give me a little extra time in August-October once I've started classes

ThePiedPiper - I can help with the basic mechanics (grammar, structure, spelling, flow) but I can also help by giving you my impression. If something sounds too cliche or if something stands out in any awkward fashion, I will be more than likely to point it out. I'm not too mean and tend to point out the strong points in addition to where something could use a little work, but I don't tend to be much of an ideas person. I'll ask any questions that occur to me, provide guidance if I see a direction you could go in, point out where something might be better off expanded, etc. but I won't write your PS for you or brainstorm what your PS should be about. I can also help if you have anything specific in mind, to the best of my ability, and I'm available pretty much whenever. Shoot me a PM on here and we'll work something out.

BraccoPointer: I'm happy to focus on whatever you'd like, from big ideas to grammar, etc. I'm very nit-picky about wording and grammar, and can provide a little "tough love" if needed. Available just about any time, just PM me.

I kept ignoring this thread the last few days thinking its not important to me. Until I just realize it is. May have had a little freak out. :scared:

ThePiedPiper - I can help with the basic mechanics (grammar, structure, spelling, flow) but I can also help by giving you my impression. If something sounds too cliche or if something stands out in any awkward fashion, I will be more than likely to point it out. I'm not too mean and tend to point out the strong points in addition to where something could use a little work, but I don't tend to be much of an ideas person. I'll ask any questions that occur to me, provide guidance if I see a direction you could go in, point out where something might be better off expanded, etc. but I won't write your PS for you or brainstorm what your PS should be about. I can also help if you have anything specific in mind, to the best of my ability, and I'm available pretty much whenever. Shoot me a PM on here and we'll work something out.

BraccoPointer: I'm happy to focus on whatever you'd like, from big ideas to grammar, etc. I'm very nit-picky about wording and grammar, and can provide a little "tough love" if needed. Available just about any time, just PM me.

Skysong13: So I'm not necessarily a grammar person, though I can get the basics. Come to me for help if you see something and you feel like there could be another way to say it better. Or if you feel like it's getting a little bland, i'm good with adding emotional without "fluff" as most readers would call it. My ps had lots of emotion and my interviewers commented on how they could see my excitement/love for my previous jobs and felt like I was actually there telling them my life story through my ps. I will be the devil's advocate! I will give you lots of "food for thought" type advice such as what if you said it like this or is this really important? tell me why here make me want to know more. I also have people that edited my ps that I may talk to about it as well, one being a human doctor that helped me a lot when it came to the well-being/welfare/animal rights type stuff and who also just is really good at seeing other ways of writing. I will do my best to give lots of ideas/comments, and feel free to pick which you like which you don't. But I spend so much time on one, that I may be a little slow to getting it back to you, so don't send me one 2 weeks before the deadline and expect me to get it back in the next couple days. I won't be doing much in the summer so I should be able to get it back sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on sending my drafted PS to people on this forum but what is the length allowed? Thank you!

I plan on sending my drafted PS to people on this forum but what is the length allowed? Thank you!

For the application the maximum is 5000 characters (at least it was last year) so you will probably want to be somewhere around there. If you are over I'm sure we can suggest things you can remove/rephrase, etc.

Skysong13: So I'm not necessarily a grammar person, though I can get the basics. Come to me for help if you see something and you feel like there could be another way to say it better. Or if you feel like it's getting a little bland, i'm good with adding emotional without "fluff" as most readers would call it. My ps had lots of emotion and my interviewers commented on how they could see my excitement/love for my previous jobs and felt like I was actually there telling them my life story through my ps. I will be the devil's advocate! I will give you lots of "food for thought" type advice such as what if you said it like this or is this really important? tell me why here make me want to know more. I also have people that edited my ps that I may talk to about it as well, one being a human doctor that helped me a lot when it came to the well-being/welfare/animal rights type stuff and who also just is really good at seeing other ways of writing. I will do my best to give lots of ideas/comments, and feel free to pick which you like which you don't. But I spend so much time on one, that I may be a little slow to getting it back to you, so don't send me one 2 weeks before the deadline and expect me to get it back in the next couple days. I won't be doing much in the summer so I should be able to get it back sooner.

annopia: i'm best with grammer, word choice, and flow. i'll be available until school starts in the fall except for later may/most of june (getting married)

annopia: i'm best with grammer, word choice, and flow. i'll be available until school starts in the fall except for later may/most of june (getting married)

Horses925: Also my first time offering to review, but I feel incredibly fortunate to have had multiple offers on my first admissions cycle and feel like this would be a great way to pay it forward and help out the next round of veterinary hopefuls. Happy to help whatever way I can. My interest was in combined programs (DVM, Ph.D) and I currently have one offer for that...whatever small role my personal statement played in that, I'd be happy to help anyone else in a similar situation. Even if your interest involves zero research - I'd be happy to look at drafts/help brainstorm ideas. Feel free to PM me and I can provide my email address so we can get started!

Last edited:

Horses925: Also my first time offering to review, but I feel incredibly fortunate to have had multiple offers on my first admissions cycle and feel like this would be a great way to pay it forward and help out the next round of veterinary hopefuls. Happy to help whatever way I can. My interest was in combined programs (DVM, Ph.D) and I currently have one offer for that...whatever small role my personal statement played in that, I'd be happy to help anyone else in a similar situation. Even if your interest involves zero research - I'd be happy to look at drafts/help brainstorm ideas. Feel free to PM me and I can provide my email address so we can get started!

trackgirl12: This is my first time as well but I'm really happy to help! I'm pretty good with grammar, structure, and flow or whatever else you need help with. I'm also good at organization and trimming things out to fit the character limit. I'll be pretty much be available anytime until classes start in August but I may be a little slower to respond until this semester is over.

trackgirl12: This is my first time as well but I'm really happy to help! I'm pretty good with grammar, structure, and flow or whatever else you need help with. I'm also good at organization and trimming things out to fit the character limit. I'll be pretty much be available anytime until classes start in August but I may be a little slower to respond until this semester is over.

equineconstant: I am really good at grammar, but I will generally talk to you about big picture stuff first. I rock at organization and coherence; I love pulling out the connections to make things flow together more and make sense. I'm also very experienced reading other people's papers and talking about them, and I've been told I have a "direct" style with it.

equineconstant: I am really good at grammar, but I will generally talk to you about big picture stuff first. I rock at organization and coherence; I love pulling out the connections to make things flow together more and make sense. I'm also very experienced reading other people's papers and talking about them, and I've been told I have a "direct" style with it.

zanydogz - I'm really good with flow and grammar and can also help with brainstorming ideas. I'll definitely be available more so in the summer and up to when school starts again

annopia
: i'm best with grammer, word choice, and flow. i'll be available until school starts in the fall except for later may/most of june (getting married)

equineconstant
: I am really good at grammar, but I will generally talk to you about big picture stuff first. I rock at organization and coherence; I love pulling out the connections to make things flow together more and make sense. I'm also very experienced reading other people's papers and talking about them, and I've been told I have a "direct" style with it.

zanydogz - I'm really good with flow and grammar and can also help with brainstorming ideas. I'll definitely be available more so in the summer and up to when school starts again

hygebeorht
- Professional editing is my bread and butter, and I specialize in application essays and grant writing. People whose essays I have edited have been accepted at Harvard Law and Harvard Med., not to mention many other professional schools (Utah, Colorado, Virginia) and a number of undergraduate institutions. Essays I have edited have also won their writers scholarships and grants. I have an MA in English, and I have worked for years as an editor, ghostwriter, proofreader, and writing coach. I work with essay-writers to brainstorm and craft an essay that is in their voice and is completely their work. I myself have been admitted to 6/7 of the schools I applied to this year, and I think a great PS can really help an application resonate. I am willing to take a quick look at essays sent my way by forum members, but my turnaround may be slowish, and you'll understand if I can't really invest the kind of time and attention I give to the clients who pay my bills. However, if you are interested in my professional services, which include proofreading the VMCAS and secondaries, we can connect outside the forum. PM me for contact info if you're interested in my services or if you have an essay you just want a quick glance at. (I'm doing my best to adhere to TOS here...I just can't work for free since this exact service helps pay my bills.)

hygebeorht[/B] - Professional editing is my bread and butter, and I specialize in application essays and grant writing. People whose essays I have edited have been accepted at Harvard Law and Harvard Med., not to mention many other professional schools (Utah, Colorado, Virginia) and a number of undergraduate institutions. Essays I have edited have also won their writers scholarships and grants. I have an MA in English, and I have worked for years as an editor, ghostwriter, proofreader, and writing coach. I work with essay-writers to brainstorm and craft an essay that is in their voice and is completely their work. I myself have been admitted to 6/7 of the schools I applied to this year, and I think a great PS can really help an application resonate. I am willing to take a quick look at essays sent my way by forum members, but my turnaround may be slowish, and you'll understand if I can't really invest the kind of time and attention I give to the clients who pay my bills. However, if you are interested in my professional services, which include proofreading the VMCAS and secondaries, we can connect outside the forum. PM me for contact info if you're interested in my services or if you have an essay you just want a quick glance at. (I'm doing my best to adhere to TOS here...I just can't work for free since this exact service helps pay my bills.)[/COLOR]

Please direct this sort of advertising to the classifieds section of SDN

hygebeorht - Professional editing is my bread and butter, and I specialize in application essays and grant writing. People whose essays I have edited have been accepted at Harvard Law and Harvard Med., not to mention many other professional schools (Utah, Colorado, Virginia) and a number of undergraduate institutions. Essays I have edited have also won their writers scholarships and grants. I have an MA in English, and I have worked for years as an editor, ghostwriter, proofreader, and writing coach. I work with essay-writers to brainstorm and craft an essay that is in their voice and is completely their work. I myself have been admitted to 6/7 of the schools I applied to this year, and I think a great PS can really help an application resonate. I am willing to take a quick look at essays sent my way by forum members, but my turnaround may be slowish, and you'll understand if I can't really invest the kind of time and attention I give to the clients who pay my bills. However, if you are interested in my professional services, which include proofreading the VMCAS and secondaries, we can connect outside the forum. PM me for contact info if you're interested in my services or if you have an essay you just want a quick glance at. (I'm doing my best to adhere to TOS here...I just can't work for free since this exact service helps pay my bills.)

loxodonta51: I can provide help in ensuring that your statement flows as a coherent argument for your admission. I am somewhat of a stickler for grammar, so I can help you with that as well! I am finished with classes, so I can respond pretty quickly until I start vet school this August.

Sorry I can't copy and paste because I'm mobile but
Mysterycat: I can focus on flow and organization, as well as grammar. I'm pretty crazy about proper grammar in general! ;) I'm über busy most days (as all of us are!) but I won't have a problem getting back within a couple of days, at most any point if I get a heads up PM. I'm pretty new around here so while I'd be glad to help, be gentle with me if I'm missing anything here, etc.

I cannot get through even a first draft of my PS. I have a defining story of what made me want to pursue becoming a vet but I have no experience in the actual field I want to go into, Zoo medicine, all I know is from working at a SA clinic, shadowing a LA vet, and working at a shelter that I don't want to go into those fields(obviously not a good prospective to write about) All I can say is "I know" I want to go into zoo/wildlife medicine maybe eventually research and conservation, yes how do I know this? IDK!...HELP ME! :scared:

I cannot get through even a first draft of my PS. I have a defining story of what made me want to pursue becoming a vet but I have no experience in the actual field I want to go into, Zoo medicine, all I know is from working at a SA clinic, shadowing a LA vet, and working at a shelter that I don't want to go into those fields(obviously not a good prospective to write about) All I can say is "I know" I want to go into zoo/wildlife medicine maybe eventually research and conservation, yes how do I know this? IDK!...HELP ME! :scared:

Do you have a draft you could send me via PM? I might be able to help you better if I see what you already have. :) I don't think the way you've been drawn to zoo medicine is necessarily a bad perspective, but it needs to be framed in the right way. For example, saying you didn't like SA, LA and shelter medicine and so you're going with zoo med is going to sound sloppy and like you're just grasping at straws because of negative experiences in three other fields. Framing it as that you've explored other fields, despite a lingering/continuing interest in wildlife and conservation, and are now even more certain that zoo medicine is what you want to go into, however, is going to come across much differently. One sounds like you don't have any passion for vet med at all. The other shows that you have breadth of experience and that's how you've learned where your interests lie, even if you don't have experience in those areas. You simply found that out through exploring other avenues versus an experience in the particular avenue you want to go down. I say this as I'm going to assume you didn't just choose zoo med cause you don't like your other options. :)

Do you mind me sending you a jumbled mess of ideas and not judging me for it? cause that's what I got, lol And yes I didn't choose zoo medicince b/c I didn't like the other options. I have had good and bad experiences in all areas and I realize b/c of them that I don't want to go into those areas. I am very interested in endangered species, extinction, effects of both on future and current animal populations, i could go on and on but mainly I love being around animals so I figure I get the best of all of that by going into zoo medicine...I hope I'm right ;)

Do you mind me sending you a jumbled mess of ideas and not judging me for it? cause that's what I got, lol And yes I didn't choose zoo medicince b/c I didn't like the other options. I have had good and bad experiences in all areas and I realize b/c of them that I don't want to go into those areas. I am very interested in endangered species, extinction, effects of both on future and current animal populations, i could go on and on but mainly I love being around animals so I figure I get the best of all of that by going into zoo medicine...I hope I'm right ;)

Feel free! I have a writer friend who's always sending me things, and they're not always in an orderly manner either. :laugh: I totally get that sometimes the jumbled mess has to be a part of the process.

I'm also available to help if you'd like, just send me a PM :)

I would suggest that you get some hands on experience in zoo/wildlife/exotics before you write your personal statement about it. It is important to show that you have had experience with A, B, and C. While they were not the most positive experiences they helped contribute to your overall understanding of veterinary medicine and your desire to pursue the career. As a result, you moved forward and through research of the subject and experience you have found your currently passion for D.

If you prefer just to write, but you're not getting anything down here are some tips: 1. Turn down your font size so it's very tiny and you can't make out the letters. Write as much as you can in 15-20 minutes. 2. Tape a piece of paper in from of your screen so you can't see the page. Write. At this point don't worry about grammar. Write anything that comes to mind.

In addition, I feel like I should point out that zoo medicine is a very, very competitive field so just realize that you will have to give up a lot to get there. Also I think admissions committees know that young veterinary students are subject to change their interests as they progress through school. That being said, it's good to have a goal and have a desired path even if you do wander off eventually.

I would suggest that you get some hands on experience in zoo/wildlife/exotics before you write your personal statement about it. It is important to show that you have had experience with A, B, and C. While they were not the most positive experiences they helped contribute to your overall understanding of veterinary medicine and your desire to pursue the career. As a result, you moved forward and through research of the subject and experience you have found your currently passion for D.

If you prefer just to write, but you're not getting anything down here are some tips: 1. Turn down your font size so it's very tiny and you can't make out the letters. Write as much as you can in 15-20 minutes. 2. Tape a piece of paper in from of your screen so you can't see the page. Write. At this point don't worry about grammar. Write anything that comes to mind. .

Thank you! Very good ideas! I have a notebook i write in the most random thoughts I think would be good to put in my PS, which seemed to help, i get moments of great thoughts and wording and they always seem to be at 3 am. I would love to volunteer at a zoo but unfortunately my husband is stationed somewhere where there isn't one around for 2 hours and although I would be willing to travel that far, their once yearly volunteer orientation was in Jan and I missed it :( I do write about how i am interested in research as well and that i do change my mind on what I have wanted to do but that I always come back to working w/ animals, so even if I don't go into zoo medicine right away I will be glad to be working the field.

WolvesDragon55
- Very happy to read over things. While this is my first year writing one (so I will probably be asking some of ^these people to help me), I am more than willing to give my opinion. I am an English minor so I like to think I'm fairly decent with grammar, word choice, flow, and persuasion. PM me, and I'll shoot you my email. I'm always around.

ThePiedPiper
- I can help with the basic mechanics (grammar, structure, spelling, flow) but I can also help by giving you my impression. If something sounds too cliche or if something stands out in any awkward fashion, I will be more than likely to point it out. I'm not too mean and tend to point out the strong points in addition to where something could use a little work, but I don't tend to be much of an ideas person. I'll ask any questions that occur to me, provide guidance if I see a direction you could go in, point out where something might be better off expanded, etc. but I won't write your PS for you or brainstorm what your PS should be about. I can also help if you have anything specific in mind, to the best of my ability, and I'm available pretty much whenever. Shoot me a PM on here and we'll work something out.

hygebeorht - Professional editing is my bread and butter, and I specialize in application essays and grant writing. People whose essays I have edited have been accepted at Harvard Law and Harvard Med., not to mention many other professional schools (Utah, Colorado, Virginia) and a number of undergraduate institutions. Essays I have edited have also won their writers scholarships and grants. I have an MA in English, and I have worked for years as an editor, ghostwriter, proofreader, and writing coach. I work with essay-writers to brainstorm and craft an essay that is in their voice and is completely their work. I myself have been admitted to 6/7 of the schools I applied to this year, and I think a great PS can really help an application resonate. I am willing to take a quick look at essays sent my way by forum members, but my turnaround may be slowish, and you'll understand if I can't really invest the kind of time and attention I give to the clients who pay my bills. However, if you are interested in my professional services, which include proofreading the VMCAS and secondaries, we can connect outside the forum. PM me for contact info if you're interested in my services or if you have an essay you just want a quick glance at. (I'm doing my best to adhere to TOS here...I just can't work for free since this exact service helps pay my bills.)

loxodonta51: I can provide help in ensuring that your statement flows as a coherent argument for your admission. I am somewhat of a stickler for grammar, so I can help you with that as well! I am finished with classes, so I can respond pretty quickly until I start vet school this August.

adams30: I am good with syntax and sentence flow / wording. I can make sure that your statement flows and is coherent. I can help with some inspiration and ideas if you need help. I will be gone in July so you would have to catch me earlier in the summer.

adams30: I am good with syntax and sentence flow / wording. I can make sure that your statement flows and is coherent. I can help with some inspiration and ideas if you need help. I will be gone in July so you would have to catch me earlier in the summer.

CloudlessNights: I can really help with grammar and wording, both of which are my strong suits. In addition, I can help with ideas and general flow. I'm available throughout the summer until August (when I may/may not be going to vet school--on three waitlists).

CloudlessNights: I can really help with grammar and wording, both of which are my strong suits. In addition, I can help with ideas and general flow. I'm available throughout the summer until August (when I may/may not be going to vet school--on three waitlists).

wildowl: I'm good with flow, grammar, and transitions. I'll probably be able to help until school starts in the fall, although May and June will be busy for me being that I'll be writing my thesis. PM me and let me know if you need me to focus on something in particular, I am happy to help.

wildowl: I'm good with flow, grammar, and transitions. I'll probably be able to help until school starts in the fall, although May and June will be busy for me being that I'll be writing my thesis. PM me and let me know if you need me to focus on something in particular, I am happy to help.

shannon1414: grammar, flow, organization, and anything that you want me to keep in mind when reading. I am available until the beginning of July.

shannon1414: grammar, flow, organization, and anything that you want me to keep in mind when reading. I am available until the beginning of July.

Suomi: I was a copy editor of my college newspaper, so I'm picky about grammar, general organization and flow. I tend to focus most on the beginning paragraph of a paper as well. I think it sets the tone for the rest of the PS. I'm more than happy to help up until about September or so. I graduated last year, so I have more spare time than I know what to do with and would be able to read and edit relatively quickly. I do prefer documents in MS word. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need help in any way!

Thank you! Very good ideas! I have a notebook i write in the most random thoughts I think would be good to put in my PS, which seemed to help, i get moments of great thoughts and wording and they always seem to be at 3 am. I would love to volunteer at a zoo but unfortunately my husband is stationed somewhere where there isn't one around for 2 hours and although I would be willing to travel that far, their once yearly volunteer orientation was in Jan and I missed it :( I do write about how i am interested in research as well and that i do change my mind on what I have wanted to do but that I always come back to working w/ animals, so even if I don't go into zoo medicine right away I will be glad to be working the field.

I applied this year with the intention of going into zoo medicine with 0 experience with large animals, exotics, or in a zoo. I'm also changing careers to do this and it isn't something I've wanted to do my whole life. It's quite possible to get in and say those things in your statement. I am more than happy to help, if you like. I didn't start writing my statement too much in advance so at least you have a while to figure out exactly what you want to say. On one supplemental application, I even had to say how many hours of experience I had in my chosen concentration (zero), and I got accepted there.

I applied this year with the intention of going into zoo medicine with 0 experience with large animals, exotics, or in a zoo. I'm also changing careers to do this and it isn't something I've wanted to do my whole life. It's quite possible to get in and say those things in your statement. I am more than happy to help, if you like. I didn't start writing my statement too much in advance so at least you have a while to figure out exactly what you want to say. On one supplemental application, I even had to say how many hours of experience I had in my chosen concentration (zero), and I got accepted there.

Wow, that's great to know! There is just no way I have the time to go 4 hrs round trip to get the experience. I will PM you my PS, at least what I have so far. Thanks!

Kakurubird-sorry I am new to the SDN so I really don't know how to contact you for help about my PS :)

dovelover - I'm good with content/flow. If you need advice on content/ideas even before writing your PS, with a very rough draft, or just need help getting started, definitely hit me up. If looking for content advice, it's helpful if you can provide additional information about your experiences/life beyond what's in your PS so I have a frame of reference for it. Will look at grammar too, but there are probably others who are more qualified for that than I. I definitely am not the one to help with length issues. I'm available whenever right now, I'll update if that changes.[/QUOTE]

Suomi: I was a copy editor of my college newspaper, so I'm picky about grammar, general organization and flow. I tend to focus most on the beginning paragraph of a paper as well. I think it sets the tone for the rest of the PS. I'm more than happy to help up until about September or so. I graduated last year, so I have more spare time than I know what to do with and would be able to read and edit relatively quickly. I do prefer documents in MS word. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need help in any way!

Kpowell: The big picture, content, and flow are what I'm best at. I'm super busy so It might take me a little bit to get back with you, but I'd love to anyone !!

Just want to bump this up for anyone starting to work on PS's. I'm going to have plenty of time up until the end of July when I move for school so feel free to send them my way.

Also just want to comment on my amusement that my description is all "tear it apart kind of mean" and kakuru comes in and says "Don't worry I'm not mean... unlike wildcat". I know you were thinking it. Also going to emphasize that I have been crushing souls, so yeah, look out.

Just want to bump this up for anyone starting to work on PS's. I'm going to have plenty of time up until the end of July when I move for school so feel free to send them my way.

Also just want to comment on my amusement that my description is all "tear it apart kind of mean" and kakuru comes in and says "Don't worry I'm not mean... unlike wildcat". I know you were thinking it. Also going to emphasize that I have been crushing souls, so yeah, look out.

:( I wouldn't think that! I can't believe you would be soul crushing in edits, but then I've never seen your edits.

:( I wouldn't think that! I can't believe you would be soul crushing in edits, but then I've never seen your edits.

It amused me in a good way. Don't worry! I just liked the difference.
Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

in my personal statement i plan on talking about some very personal issues that occurred throughout my undergrad. i talk about my experience with mental illness and how i was able to come out on the other side strong and passionate. i have talked to several veterinarians and admissions people who suggested i include this in my personal statement.

is there anyone who honestly shared anything along these lines in their personal statement?

its important that in my statement i don't come across whiney or "pity-me". i'm looking for objective readers who will give me honest, productive criticism.

thanks guys! :)

in my personal statement i plan on talking about some very personal issues that occurred throughout my undergrad. i talk about my experience with mental illness and how i was able to come out on the other side strong and passionate. i have talked to several veterinarians and admissions people who suggested i include this in my personal statement.

is there anyone who honestly shared anything along these lines in their personal statement?

its important that in my statement i don't come across whiney or "pity-me". i'm looking for objective readers who will give me honest, productive criticism.

thanks guys! :)

I'd be happy to take a look. Send me a PM and I can give you my email address.

I included something along these lines, but it was more in my other/explanation section to explain why my grades took a dip toward the end of college. In my PS, I did talk about questioning whether this was the path I wanted, and how I ultimately decided there wasn't any other career option for me.

Kpowell: The big picture, content, and flow are what I'm best at. I'm super busy so It might take me a little bit to get back with you, but I'd love to anyone !!

Maschka1: I cant guarantee to catch all your spelling or grammatical errors (although I can pick out some). I would be happy to look at content and tell you if the overall flow and tone are working for me. Also willing to help you brainstorm better topics and such. This last app cycle I re-wrote my PS 59 times, so I know how stressful it can be! I will be avalible after June 1st until August when classes start.

Maschka1: I cant guarantee to catch all your spelling or grammatical errors (although I can pick out some). I would be happy to look at content and tell you if the overall flow and tone are working for me. Also willing to help you brainstorm better topics and such. This last app cycle I re-wrote my PS 59 times, so I know how stressful it can be! I will be avalible after June 1st until August when classes start.

allykd: This is my first year applying and I will definitely be hitting up some of the above people for advice, but I have an English minor (not that that really means much...) and am totally willing to read/edit statements for whoever. I'm decent at grammar/flow/structure/organization.

I just wanted to say, well you see, anyways to all of you that are doing this, it is much appreciated!!! Taking time out of your busy schedules to help is amazing! BTW, how did people apply to vet school before this forum?!??!

allykd: This is my first year applying and I will definitely be hitting up some of the above people for advice, but I have an English minor (not that that really means much...) and am totally willing to read/edit statements for whoever. I'm decent at grammar/flow/structure/organization.

HopefulAg: I'm gonna jump back on board with this this year. I didn't do a real great job of it last year because I was in Germany and Spain for several months, but should be able to help a bit this time around dependent on what rotation I'm on (if it's Neuro, forget it) at the time. I can edit for grammar, spelling, content, whatever you want done.