Does MTB3 cover everything in MTB2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir Gillies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated 2 years ago in the UK, and I am about to start revising for Step 2 CK and aim to give Step 3 by the end of the year. I am more of a single book revision man, which I am planning to supplment with 2 Qbanks.

I have read lots about this topic and most posts are outdated and dont take into account the newer versions of MTB 2 and 3.

My questions are aimed to those who have used both books:
1) Does MTB3 cover everything in MTB2?
2) What are the chapters that might need reinforcement (ie take from other books)?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I graduated 2 years ago in the UK, and I am about to start revising for Step 2 CK and aim to give Step 3 by the end of the year. I am more of a single book revision man, which I am planning to supplment with 2 Qbanks.

I have read lots about this topic and most posts are outdated and dont take into account the newer versions of MTB 2 and 3.

My questions are aimed to those who have used both books:
1) Does MTB3 cover everything in MTB2?
2) What are the chapters that might need reinforcement (ie take from other books)?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Unfortunately mate there is no single revision book which covers all the topics.
MTB3 does not cover everything in MTB2 and vice versa making them a bit dodgy.
For example, I am reading ObGyn from them and MTB 2 covers antepartum fetal testing while MTB 3 does not. Also, MTB 3 does not cover Gestational Diabetes while MTB 2 does. You will have to use both of them or you can disassemble them and combine them into one book which Conrad Fisher should have done in the first place but then he won't be making as much profit as now.
Another option is SUS2 but it's 3rd edition is only be available on April 15th as the older 2nd ed is from 2007. If you can wait till than it's probably your best option.
Anyway, have a lager and decide.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply. I suppose disassembling and unifying the best chapters into one book might be the only option, because I really can't memories the same topic on 2 different books - I think my brain just doesn't work that way.

Could I ask:
1) why did you choose MTB rather than other resources?
2) what chapters/topics should I use from 2 and 3?
3) unfortunately I can't wait until April, but is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Well, you have to read from other resources even if you combine MTB 2&3 since none of the review books cover 100% of the topics (e.g. Biostats). Basically, MTBs are the review of the Kaplan lecture notes.

I chose MTBs since they are the review of the Kaplan lecture notes and also they are useful if you are watching Kaplan videos.
There are two ways to prepare for Step2 --Kaplan & Non-Kaplan and I chose Kaplan.
Usually people do IM from MTB 2 and the rest from MTB3 but read my comments above.
In my opinion the best way to prepare is to use UW as the main source and look up topics you are weak in other books (MTBs, FA, SUS2 etc) or even Uptodate, Medscape and Wikipedia. New First Aid is better but again it is deficient in many aspects.
Some people have just used UW and looked up topics in Uptodate, Medscape and Wikipedia to fill the gaps in their knowledge and done very well without using any of the review books.
The main idea is to actively get/clear the concept on a particular topic rather than passively read a book.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately mate there is no single revision book which covers all the topics.
MTB3 does not cover everything in MTB2 and vice versa making them a bit dodgy.
For example, I am reading ObGyn from them and MTB 2 covers antepartum fetal testing while MTB 3 does not. Also, MTB 3 does not cover Gestational Diabetes while MTB 2 does. You will have to use both of them or you can disassemble them and combine them into one book which Conrad Fisher should have done in the first place but then he won't be making as much profit as now.
Another option is SUS2 but it's 3rd edition is only be available on April 15th as the older 2nd ed is from 2007. If you can wait till than it's probably your best option.
Anyway, have a lager and decide.

You're right about everything except mtb3 DOES cover gestational diabetes even more so than mtb2. ;)