Would my past failed classes prevent me from getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idm163

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its unfortunate that you have had a history like that. My honest suggestion is that do the best you can starting that point onwards. Take advanced courses in your higher studies and do well in them too. If your cGPA is really low than you might have to consider applying for an SMP or a masters. The point of all this is to show ADCOMs that you made a mistake and you've moved on and are well capable. You certainly will have to explain yourself if you ever do get an interview.

You should also consider D.O schools since they do offer grade replacements. If you repeat a course and do better the second time around they will take your best mark.

I can tell you're a bit new to all this because you focused on attending one school. Believe me you'll realize that you're going to have to be less selective. You do want to look at other options. I hope it all works out for you. PM me if you have any specific questions.

I attended a community college because of cost, transportation, and I had no help/idea about applying to colleges. I received a D, F, and some WF's not because I didn't do my work or couldn't but rather because of personal matters. I had to withdrawal or either keep going and ended up with that result.
It was one semester and one class another semester.
I also took criminal justice courses during high school that was at the college too, and I received D's, so that's on my transcript too. It was a very rushed class, and the instructor never showed us our grades. And I don't plan on retaking them because that's not my choice major.
Majority of my grades are A's. I have a high gpa, and I will keep that up throughout my undergraduate studies.
I won't be able to get an associates degree, but I've repeated almost all the classes I received those low grades on and passed with A's.
I'm worried about not getting into a university and in the future med school because of that.
What are the chances? Would they allow me to explain? Are there any resources?
If I had a high gpa and met all the requirements, would those classes I failed and repeated highly affect their decision (university admission/med school)?
I know the requirements for both institutions, and I'm confident I can achieve them. I'm just worried about my past classes.
I want to attend Duke. It is close to where I live and a fantastic school.
I know it is very competitive but so are most any other med schools close or out of state. If I can't get in the med schools nearby, I'm sure I won't get in the ones out of state.
The university isn't very competitive, so I am mostly worried about med school.
I'm still very early and plan on transferring. But I wanted to know ahead of time. I know about having a high GPA, EC, and MCAT score.
Has anyone had a similar experience or know of someone in similar experience especially from the med school I want to attend?

TL;DR. Rewrite with some structure, please.

Yes, Ds and Fs will keep you out of med school. No, Duke is probably not an option at this point. While it's unfortunate that you had personal matters to deal with, those will continue to come up throughout your life and you must learn to deal with them. With 30 applicants per seat, schools don't really have to offer much (any) mercy. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't cc considered easier than university? I think so. Do not give up. There are things that happen outside of your control and it sounds like you might have been going through a hard time in your life. If you haven't already, transfer to uni ASAP for your pre-reqs (go to the best school you can get into). Do well in those classes (A's, few B's). I also second considering more options. So if you get rejected, then what? Apply to other schools as well.

As far as med school, forget it now. Focus on undergraduate and getting your pre-req's/highest grades possible. The time spent worrying about med school could be spent worrying and studying for undergraduate.

The F's will hurt you, but if you work hard on getting strong consistent grades and a good mcat you can still get into med school. I had 3 F's (9 credits) from a CC about 10 years ago. I worked hard and basically maintained a 4.0 throughout undergrad when I started up school again a few years ago and I was able to get my cumulative gpa up to 3.6, even with the F's. I was asked about the grades at a few interviews, but I still got in to several schools. However, I definitely was rejected pre-interview at quite a few schools that I felt like I should have gotten interviews at with my grades/mcat/ECs, so make sure you apply broadly to a fairly high number of schools if you do end up improving your gpa and applying.

BigDog gives good advice. You're going to have to bust your butt to overcome the past and sadly may never overcome it. The easiest way would be to go for DO grade replacement, just retake the classes and POOF those F's are gone. Can't beat that, much better then taking countless credit hours at 4.0 to still have a mediocre GPA (in terms of medical school applicants).

Survivor DO

I know you're still a ways away from applying, and I don't know how old you are, but if I were you, I would try to steer clear of saying that the things that caused those low grades were "out of your control." It makes you seem immature to blame the rest of the world for the black marks in your past. Take responsibility for your entire history, no matter how much it seems like there was nothing you could have done.

Here's the good news: (with the exception of your health) those things ARE in your control - in fact, you state that you already have taken control of many of the disadvantages you face, and now you do know about the withdrawal process. Yes, the top schools will probably throw your application away without giving you a chance, but if you can still manage a high undergrad GPA (and with an upward trend!), you may get a good chance to explain how you've overcome the disadvantages you faced. Who doesn't love a comeback?

And yes, considering DO schools is also a great option. If you are interested in going that route, you will certainly be better off retaking some of the classes you got a low grade in and bringing that score up, especially if any of those classes are science and/or prereqs.

Last edited:
music2doc:

I see your point. Thank you. The personal matters were things such as transportation, medical care, internet access, not living on campus because culture, and lastly not knowing/being told about the withdrawal procedure. Most of those things I had no control over. I've learned to deal with some though. Thanks.

Not living on campus because culture?? U wot m8?

What does that even mean? Also, survivorDO was talking about grade replacement for Osteopathic schools, not for Allopathic schools like Duke. Your preference school does not allow grade replacement. Allopathic schools will average the F with your new grade. If I was in your situation, I would apply to both Osteopathic and then some state md/rural md schools. You cannot be selective in this process, you should apply to ~15 schools to be safe.

Those circumstances aren't out of my control now, but I still have those problems. I deal with them, and I've found solutions to those problems. It may seem like I'm blaming the rest of the world, but I just gave an overview of what happened. I'm not going to describe my life story on here. There's people who struggle with getting an education. I can look back and think of how I would've dealt with them differently, but I can't change what happened already. The circumstances I faced were out of my control, and I had no idea about my progress. My teachers wouldn't assist me when I contacted them. I had no previous preparation or help from anyone since advisors didn't talk to me and my family knows nothing about colleges. I took those classes at that time all online. It was about 6 courses. Every time I thought I got the hang of it, I would get behind. Once I began my courses, I had no control over what I couldn't afford, internet/laptop, late books, my family, and transportation. I had no advisors helping me from high school till now and even when I had just started college. They still don't help me now, and I feel ignored. I even had an advisor (two actually) that's just an instructor who didn't know what to tell me when I asked questions before I went downhill.
I couldn't live on any of the universities which were all hours away because it would interfere with my cultural, family, and religious beliefs. That's why I attended a CC. The problem was definitely not because I couldn't do the work or didn't do the work. I have a high gpa right now. I will continue to excel.
I'm probably better off talking to a counselor. I hope to meet one at my university that actually cares.

With all of this affecting you, money and "cultural" issues, how do you expect to pay and attend medical school in a different state? You cannot limit yourself to schools only in your home state unless you have 7-10 allopathic and osteopathic choices.